Couture Thoughts

LuckiestLiz

I bought all lipsticks, and the mystery powder.

Mystery Powder - I bought Medium off eBay but it hasn't arrived yet. I ordered Light from the website, which I got. I kept being told Medium, but live chat told me (NC20) that Light would be the best everyday choice - and another poster said they told her Light would be glowy and Medium more of a bronzing effect. I was confused, and figured I could return Light if it was off, and didn't want to miss out on it if I waited to get and try Medium first. Well - I'm not sure! :/ The verdict on light? Some said it was so light in the pan, but not really? I sat it next to my Medium blot powder and it looks the same. It is a pressed powder, not a powder foundation, so it goes on fine color wise like blot to me. *shrugs* I would say for now ... Light was a good choice for me. Will have to report back on Medium and see if my mind changes. Packaging wise - it is very heavy, and I love that. It seems sturdy, industrial ... it's neat. Doesn't click, but has a nice magnetic hold and is easy enough to pull apart. It has a hole in the back to pop out the powder and replace it with the refill - so I love that aspect (it is a fairly common powder size, you could easily put other powders inside).
EDIT: Duh! Finish wise? It looks like a nice powder. Doesn't go on powdery/chalky on me. Doesn't look shimmery. It does have a lovely natural finish, while getting rid of my shine. I tried it bare faced just to see the finish. It does cover a tiny bit, but it's just a pressed powder. I like it. Maybe not "WOW, it's AMAZING", but for one run through I'd say it's nice. And 2 pans for $45 in a reusable compact? I think it's good.

Lipsticks ...

Red No 5 - I knew I shouldn't have, but I bought it ... what a mistake. I'm sorry, it looks lovely in the tube and I'm sure it's gorgeous on some. But on me it was the most disgusting ugly fuchsia hot pink you've ever seen. Scary bright, scary pink ... really nasty. It wasn't flattering even a tiny bit, even blotted down. LOL. I've got a problem with cool reds turning on me - but this takes the cake. I've never seen such a disgusting red on me. EDIT: I decided a word to help describe more what it looked like on me is magenta, more so than fuchsia. I haven't seen pictures of the way it looks on me, so far it looks much nicer on everyone else. LOL.

House of Style - Unfortunately, it is indeed barbie pink on me. Just too cool, too much of a contrast with my coloring ... it isn't for me. I will, however, say that this one has a lovely sheen to it that I liked. Not my color, but I would love to see this on someone who could wear it nicely, I think it's a great shade.

Couture - Alas, this is also too cool/mauve for me. I could make it work, but I'm not sure I should. I just think warmer lips suit me better, are more complimentary. This one looks very similiar to Quietone, except side by side you can tell the golden shimmer in Quietone. Oh - and Couture kinda left shimmers on my lips which I don't appreciate so much. This is another one, though ... I'd love to see it on a cooler toned girl - this would be the one lipstick I'd encourage them to get.

Influential - Thankfully, buying the lipsticks wasn't a total let down because of Influential. I love this color! It has a lovely base, similiar to Dream Vacation lipstick if anyone remembers it, but a slightly deeper base that has more pink. Also, the frost is more of a sheen and not over the top at all (my lips tend to grab + amplify frost). I can slick it on once, or layer a bit ... and no fail, looks fab. I tried it on with Sunbasque blush and warm neutral eyes lined in green. Keeper!

Lipstick packaging? Alright, here's the thing ... I don't like it. *shrugs* The packaging holds fingerprints like crazy - they look so very dirty! MAC would have been 10x better off if the crystals were on all 4 sides of the tube so that you didn't notice the fingerprints. The Mystery Powder, for example, you can ignore it because the whole top is crystals and not the shiny gunmetal. Soo ... it certainly didn't help when I was trying to decide if I should hold on to Couture just in case. Bleh. But for Influential, I will totally ignore the ick packaging. The square doesn't bug me so much, but it's bulky which could be inconvenient considering sometimes I love lipstick because they're small unlike glosses. Whatever - maybe nobody cares but I was let down by the appearance of the packaging for the cost you are paying. For Influential, I'm paying for a lovely color + texture, certainly not for the tube.
tong.gif

Finally ... I'm wordy. I know. I don't post here much, but I thought perhaps some of this could be useful to at least one person who is still trying to decide on these items.
winks.gif
My coloring, for reference, is NC20-25 with dark brown hair (subtle highlights, warm toned) and hazel eyes.

BlahWah

Thanks for the review! About Influential, is it anything similar to Dainty Cake? In the swatches it reminds me of it, perhaps as a peachier version, but without seeing them side by side in the same lighting it's tough to tell.

*edit* Forgot I asked antirazor this q in another thread, but I'd love to hear your thoughts still!

Winthrop44

I am also NC20 (mousey brown hair with blonde hilites and green eyes)and bought Influential l/s and Savoire Faire l/g. I love them both, but I especially love Influential! I can't compare to Dainty Cake because I never saw that. Agree with LuckiestLiz on the packaging though - I would just as soon have these in the regular packaging. Besides the fingerprint issue it's just too bulky for me. I hope they do make these things permanent regardless, because that's how much I love these shades on me.

LuckiestLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahWah
Thanks for the review! About Influential, is it anything similar to Dainty Cake? In the swatches it reminds me of it, perhaps as a peachier version, but without seeing them side by side in the same lighting it's tough to tell.

Well, I don't have Dainty Cake to do a side by side, sorry - swapped mine away a while ago. Dainty Cake was one of those super duper frosty shades on me, so I know Influential is much less frosty on me. And I do think Dainty Cake had a more coral/pink look than Influential, but ... I can't be sure.
ssad.gif

Naturellle

I bought two richmetal highlighters; 'Gilt edge' and 'La Mode'. I love them! They go on sheer and I love that they are creamy with a powder finish. They are also very shimmery. 'Gilt edge' looks beautiful on my eyes and will be an eye shadow for me. 'La Mode' is perfect perfect highlighter on my cheeks and forehead. My only pet peeve is that I wish that the portion size was larger. I was very surpised at the size of the packages. I expected them to be larger. However, the product itself is worth it to me.

bebs

I've been trying to play around with rare and refined for the past few days and I just cant make this work for me (one of the rich metal highlighters) and it just make me look disco ballish when in the light.. and this is one of the first mac items I think I'm going to return

coachkitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebs
I've been trying to play around with rare and refined for the past few days and I just cant make this work for me (one of the rich metal highlighters) and it just make me look disco ballish when in the light.. and this is one of the first mac items I think I'm going to return

I totally agree with you! The only richmetal highlighter I bought was rare and refined and I wish that I wouldn't of.

I actually really love Red No 5 and I am an NC15. It actually was a really pretty ruby red and looked good with my pale skin.

VeronikaJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouquinne
do you think they are worth the extra cost????

If you are a MAC collector I definitely think it is worth the extra cost. And if you hold a PRO card they are now offering the discount on lipglass and lipstick if that sways your mind. The fingerprint thing doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother the others here. You can easily wipe them away with a tissue (or your shirt), not a biggie. Also, the fact that they are so heavy makes me feel like they are of a higher quality and will last longer (and from what I hear MAC actually did take a different process in the actual product quality -not just the packaging). I don't know, I think sometimes we over analyze all this... if you love MAC and you love makeup, I say let yourself splurge and own something luxurious...just because.

BTW, I think Red No. 5 looks like OPI's "I'm not really a waitress"- only in the tube though, because on the lips it's a little more pinky. Anyone agree?

LuckiestLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckiestLiz
Mystery Powder - I bought Medium off eBay but it hasn't arrived yet. I ordered Light from the website, which I got. I kept being told Medium, but live chat told me (NC20) that Light would be the best everyday choice - and another poster said they told her Light would be glowy and Medium more of a bronzing effect. I was confused, and figured I could return Light if it was off, and didn't want to miss out on it if I waited to get and try Medium first. Well - I'm not sure! :/ The verdict on light? Some said it was so light in the pan, but not really? I sat it next to my Medium blot powder and it looks the same. It is a pressed powder, not a powder foundation, so it goes on fine color wise like blot to me. *shrugs* I would say for now ... Light was a good choice for me. Will have to report back on Medium and see if my mind changes. Packaging wise - it is very heavy, and I love that. It seems sturdy, industrial ... it's neat. Doesn't click, but has a nice magnetic hold and is easy enough to pull apart. It has a hole in the back to pop out the powder and replace it with the refill - so I love that aspect (it is a fairly common powder size, you could easily put other powders inside).
EDIT: Duh! Finish wise? It looks like a nice powder. Doesn't go on powdery/chalky on me. Doesn't look shimmery. It does have a lovely natural finish, while getting rid of my shine. I tried it bare faced just to see the finish. It does cover a tiny bit, but it's just a pressed powder. I like it. Maybe not "WOW, it's AMAZING", but for one run through I'd say it's nice. And 2 pans for $45 in a reusable compact? I think it's good.

Alright, here's an update. I in fact decided I like Medium better! I tested it a few times on bare skin in different lighting, and a couple times on a full face in different lighting. I found that Medium just disappeared. Light, on the other hand, was a tad bit pale and cool/pink for me. I could get away with it, sure ... but I don't think I need help being pale, and the Medium I could wear bare faced too. Also, Light didn't look "glowy" or whatever, and Medium isn't "bronzing" for me. I returned Light and am very pleased with Medium.
smiles.gif
The tone of it is better for me, too. MAC calls it 'cool beige' but I think this is a reminder that they consider olive/yellow/golden tones cool.

I also wrote a MUA review in P'Ville since there have been so many Q's on the makeup board there.

d_flawless

i'm so mad, @ my store they were out of red no. 5...the one thing i wanted.
it didn't seem to be super popular though, because everything else was in full stock

stephbunny

so i admit it...i bought the richmetal highlighter probably because:
1. it's limited edition
2. they were selling out
3. i'm a sucker for packaging
4. the 'guilt edge' color that i ended up buying seemed to be *slightly* unique to all the other pinky/gold/silvery glittery powders that own. and the final straw was that the MA suggested that
5. I could smush a lipstick or something in the case after it was all used up (of course this would probably never happen, but helped me justify in my head the cost) =P

so while i was impressed with the texture...i can see how other people aren't too impressed because of the sheer color payoff. however, today i finally got around to using it around my eyes (under untitled paint) and i love it!!!! i'm so impressed. usually a cream glittery product just dissapears (or migrates) after a while...but i've had it on for 12 hours and it looks almost the same even though i've rubbed my eyes tonight. maybe it's the unique texture that helps it hold, but i'm defintely going to try using this more often...maybe it will be a staple of mine!

hope you guys are enjoying your couture items. =)

rouquinne

i love MAC, i've been wearing it since before you could buy it in stores, but i just can't justify $26 Cdn for a lipstick!

and i'm NOT a collector... i think that collecting makeup "just to have it" when you never use it is completely whacked!

but that's just me....

i'm not able to get a Pro card... makeup writers aren't considered professionals according to the Lauder company criteria. and the place i work for isn't large or well-known enough that i get inundated by samples/freebies.