How Would You Change MAC's Foundations?

MAC_Whore

Between the talk of the upcoming Studio Sculpt foundation and general makeup chatter, I noticed some common requests for change in foundations, i.e. formulas for sensitive skin, foundations for porcelain skin, etc.

1. If you could tell MAC what you would like to see happen to existing foundations, what would it be?

2. If you feel there is a foundation product that MAC is missing, what is that product?

Here's my two cents:

Existing Formulas:

+ I would definitely suggest an NW23 in all of the formulas. There is a BIG difference between NW20 and NW25. Additionally, NW25 is a wee bit on the orange side.

+ Better colour stabilization on Studio Fix Fluid.

+ I would like to see an end to foundation and powder products that have a different naming and formulation protocol than the regular foundations. I.e. none of the light, med, or dark (in MSFNs or Spray Foundation) or the mystery powders in model chic, lighthearted, etc. It's mostly just confusing and difficult to find a match with such limited shades.

What's missing:

+ I would like to see tinted/colour corrector primers (like the ones released in the asian market)

+ A tinted moisturizer

+ A HyperReal-type formula with a bit more coverage

What are your problems, suggested solutions or great ideas regarding MAC's foundations?
winks.gif

Tin Angel

I'd love to see them add NW 10! I've tried just about every combination of MAC's foundations that's light enough and gives enough coverage, but I haven't had any luck.

bartp

Existing Formulas:

+ I would definitely suggest an NW23 in all of the formulas. There is a BIG difference between NW20 and NW25. Additionally, NW25 is a wee bit on the orange side.
-- > I totally agree, that's why I like Studio Tech, because there is an NW23

+ Better colour descriptions. e.g. studio fix fluid NC50 is very different to studio fix powder NC50 (which is lighter). It would safe people a lot of confusion. People think they are NC-whatever, and take the same colour accross products, but the result won't be the same.

+ Studio Tech and a few other formulas are just not pore - friendly. When I apply them on skin with enlarged pores, there's always the risk of an uneven result (even if you use a brush, or a primer)

What's missing: (if they can have molecular cooking with strange textures, why not introduce the same thing for foundations)

+ I would like to see a pore minimizing primer or T - zone concealer

+ A tinted moisturizer in a formula comparable to Skinsheen (spray mousse)...so you can brush it on like a wash of sheer colour.

+ A foundation in a paint-pot or tendertone - sized pot. With a similar texture to the paint pot's. With lot's of colours, so that it's easy to take with you when you travel, so that it's easy to switch or mix colours without having to buy a lot. The texture of a paint pot would be great because it's so crease and humidity resistent. I would call them "travel-pots"

+ neutral coloured foundations ( like Face and body foundation) and a Pink, Yellow, white and orange foundation, so that you can mix your neutral foundation into something that is NW, or NC or whatever...

+ a portable - personal airbrush formula... or something HD

+ and remember the shaping powders (two in one container)... instead of a powder finish, I'd like to get the same thing in a cream texture

NatalieMT

I honestly think the Mineralize foundation would be perfect for me if it was just a little more matte, that's my only disappointment! It works so well, there is just that slight shine factor though. Whereas Studio Fix was just way too matte, not natural and dewy at all. There's nothing inbetween it seems...

I agree with others when they say better colour naming/descriptions. Colour matching is difficult, let alone when shades vary and different lines are named something totally different.

And maybe some lighter colours aswell, because NC15 is ever so slightly too dark for me and I know others have expressed a similar problem.

MzzRach

My main issue with their foundations is that they just clog up my skin something terrible. :-( I wish it wasn't so, as NW20 is a great shade for me.

But alas, whatever they put in their formulations does not seem to agree with my acne-prone skin. I know I am not alone in this.

Other than the fact that I cannot wear them, I think they have a gorgeous range. They need to go lighter on the light end of the spectrum, though. Uber-pale people do not have options.

abbyquack

I would like a comparable replacement for the tinted moisturizer they just dc'd, something light and moisturizing for dry folk!

also i agree, they need an nc10!

Kayteuk

I still feel MAC does need a lighter shade than NC15, it will not match my skin at all, and I know a few other people feel the same. It would be a huge marketing opportunity for MAC as few companies cater for Porcelain skin and its so upsetting to spend hours searching for foundation, find one, and then in the day it looks to dark on you still.

I really feel passionately about this and feel like sending them a email!

Are these questions and answers being given to MAC or is it worth starting a Porcelain petition?

Simply Elegant

Making foundations feel lighter on my skin. No matter how little I put on, it feels heavy and unpleasant.

Making lighter shades.

Making an NC15 the same in SFF as moistureblend etc.

Making them less prone to oxidisation. I know that's asking a lot for oily skinned people but if MUFE can do it, I think MAC can too.

Not discontinuing shades and formulas all the time.

Having more neutral shades in all of the formulas.

I think that's it.

sambibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by [I
bartp] I would like to see a pore minimizing primer or T - zone concealer[/I]

I agree. They already have pore refiner/primer in Asia, so MAC just needs to release it world-wide!
smiles.gif

I would like to see HD foundation like Makeup Forever has.

Twinkle_Twinkle

I'd like MAC foundations that smell a little better (the current ones smell funny, but it isn't overwhelming) and that don't dry quite so quickly (I find that I have to blend really quickly in comparison to other brands I have used). And I would love to see a Hyperreal in deeper shades. That's it! Oh and yes, a tinted moisturizer. Oh and a MSF in Deeper Dark, for contouring and bronzing.

starangel2383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
Making foundations feel lighter on my skin. No matter how little I put on, it feels heavy and unpleasant.

Making lighter shades.

Making an NC15 the same in SFF as moistureblend etc.

Making them less prone to oxidisation. I know that's asking a lot for oily skinned people but if MUFE can do it, I think MAC can too.

Not discontinuing shades and formulas all the time.

Having more neutral shades in all of the formulas.

I think that's it.

i totally agree with you about the making foundations feel lighter on the skin, that is why i dont use their foundations at all.

chocolategoddes

Maybe they have this in pro stores but i think it'd be cool to expand the range of undertones to those with intensely olive complexions (i know a girl who would probably be an nc25, but her skin is very yellow it almost appears green)
and maybe even blue undertones like how some skin tones are so dark they appear a bit purple/ blue.
but that's quite rare so i doubt they'd need to make it.

but i also agree with nc/nw 5-10.

OfficerJenny

10 and even five in foundations
more inbetween shades: 17, 23, 27, 33, etc
Built in pumps on alllll foundations, not a separate purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

miss_bailey

I agree with officer Jenny, more inbetween shades, I would kill for an NC33.
And yes built in pumps, or a squueze bottle like Studio Sculpt.
Id also like a liquid thats a bit more hydrating and less streaky.

Colour correctors.
Tinted Moisturisers.

AdlersMommy22

God id give my left nut for a built in pump (if I had one)

Tinted moisturizers for sure. Im sooo tan right now, that if I could just thrown on a tinted moisturizer I wouldnt have to ruin my freaking pores by slapping on the HR every day.

Something HD for suuuure.

And Mac_Whore. I have a feeling that you're a marketing troll for MAC sent to spy on our forums and find out what all we like so you can produce it.

HAHAHAHA jk. But seriously, how awesome would that be if you were?? Id be friggin PM'ing you every damn day.
winks.gif

TISH1124

I agree with the in bewteen shades....I fall between a NC45 and a NW45 but a NC50 is too dark...

Also they are a little on the heavier side...After comparing to MUFE the difference is amazing as far as weight and overall lightness

Ditto on the pump idea too....should not be a seperate purchase item.

user79

Make foundations starting from 0. Seriously. Face Atelier does it, you can just add the 0 to any foundation that's an in between shade to lighten it. And start making shades from like 5 and up.

Also make neutral shades. They are all too pink or way too yellow on me, very unnatural looking.

Also, make a concealer palette like the MUFE one, Ben Nye or Cinema secrets. Usually you need more than 1 shade when concealing, get with the program, MAC.

Oh and a luminescent one kinda like the Hyperreal, but more coverage.

redambition

I definitely agree on the universal colour shades across all foundations. this light, medium, dark thing just does not cut it.

an expansion to the colour range (some in betweens would be good) and keeping that full range - none of this discontinuing the less popular dark and pale shades.

if a range can't be expanded, then an offering of + and - liquid to add to the foundation (a bit like what dermalogica does) would be easier to deal with than having to mix different shades.

a proper set of setting powders in the same colour range as the foundations.

poker face

First, I agree that foundations need to come with built in pumps. I hate buying them separately.

With my best friend being a person who gained color in her face when she had NC100 Hyper Real foundation applied to her skin... I firmly believe that their color range needs to go lower (NC/NW 5/10). Also, they need more in-between shades. I'm a solid NC20 in Studio Fix Fluid, but as winter approaches, I notice that I'm a bit paler, but I'm nowhere NEAR an NC15.

Plus, I think that for the MSFNs and such, there should at least be a guide as to which one would suit which color you are in regular foundations. Either that or label them after a range. (Example: Light: NC/NW15-NC/NW20 (although I may be inaccurate))