Black Friday @ M.A.C.

kat_eye

I was recently hired as a Freelancer for M.A.C. and my first day will be black Friday.
eeksign.gif

I am sooooo nervous!!! I know its going to be crazy busy. Has anyone ever worked on the day after Thanksgiving? What should I expect? Is it mostly selling or makeovers? Any special offers to customers?

InRetospeck

It depends on what time you are working. I worked the mid-shift last year and I was so surprised that we were not slamed busy. Don't get me wrong, we were busy but not crazy, crazy busy. It was nice and steady with moments of "where is everyone?" So, when it gets like that (I worked in a MAC store) you end up sitting people down and doing demos. I know the morning was busy and we had a few people coming in who wanted makeovers so they could look cute while they shopped...

You will have alot of people coming to looking at the holiday sets, looking for holiday looks for them... lots of people stopping by in the morning asking what our early sale is... we don't have a sale, but we do have holiday sets
smiles.gif

The day will go by so fast. Make sure you get there early because parking is NO FUN and can leave you feeling like you just came back from battle.

Are you working at a MAC counter or store? Have fun and enjoy your first day!

kat_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by InRetospeck
It depends on what time you are working. I worked the mid-shift last year and I was so surprised that we were not slamed busy. Don't get me wrong, we were busy but not crazy, crazy busy. It was nice and steady with moments of "where is everyone?" So, when it gets like that (I worked in a MAC store) you end up sitting people down and doing demos. I know the morning was busy and we had a few people coming in who wanted makeovers so they could look cute while they shopped...

You will have alot of people coming to looking at the holiday sets, looking for holiday looks for them... lots of people stopping by in the morning asking what our early sale is... we don't have a sale, but we do have holiday sets
smiles.gif

The day will go by so fast. Make sure you get there early because parking is NO FUN and can leave you feeling like you just came back from battle.

Are you working at a MAC counter or store? Have fun and enjoy your first day!

Thanks for the reply InRetospeck!

I am working the mid shift at a MAC counter in Macy's.

Thanks for the parking tip, completely didn't think about that.

YSLGuy

I have worked in retail for MANY years and have worked MANY black Fridays...and honestly they are not that bad.

Most people go to the eletronics stores and the department stores where there are discounts on the big ticket items that everyone wants (TVs, cameras, ipods, phones, etc)

Plus MAC is not reducing the cost or having a sale, so I dont see how it will be busier by that much. NOt crazy busy at least.

Usually in cosmetics it's fragrances that are swamped. One BF I worked for Chanel and we just sold fragrance allllllll day and mostly to men who were getting for mothers, wifes, girlfriends.

InRetospeck

Working at a counter for your first day will be great. It will be easier for you to learn where everything is. If Macy's is offering any kind of sale (which I am sure they will) you will be asked (ALOT) if this includes cosmetics... it does not
smiles.gif
By the middle of the day, most people have been out and about for a while. Hopefully they will be happy and in the holiday spirit... if they are not, just smile and kill them with kindness and enjoy your first day with MAC. I had been working for MAC for 6 months last year at this time. I remember walking in on Black Friday being SO nervous!! So, just remember everyone gets nervous... then you blink and its over
smiles.gif

YSLGuy

^ that is the great thing about it. The day goes by so fast. I am working 5:30-2 so I guess that I miss most of the craziness, becauase it will be so early.

davidsito987

I was scheduled to work today but my manager called my on monday and told me that she got her hours taken away
ssad.gif
so i wont be working my scheduled shifts? does anyone know if this happened at your counter? She did say she thinks it because its a brand new counter. kinda bummed I had already got my shifts covered at my other job....

ms.marymac

I think we are being conservative with hours too. Do not know all the details, but I don't think it will be as fully staffed as it was in the past during the holidays. Honestly, it has just not been that busy. Has anyone else been slow?

xStarryEyedX

meehhh, you're not gonna be as busy as you think. people go out more for electronics, clothes, etc. A lot of people will pop in and ask if you have any sales...it'll probably just be the same as a regular busy day + people asking if you have any promotions. Maybe a little busier at certain times.

babyjazy21

All my hrs were also cut.
ssad.gif
I was so bummed out and thought maybe I did something wrong. I was just over thinking but now I see it's everywhere. Damn economy!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsito987
I was scheduled to work today but my manager called my on monday and told me that she got her hours taken away
ssad.gif
so i wont be working my scheduled shifts? does anyone know if this happened at your counter? She did say she thinks it because its a brand new counter. kinda bummed I had already got my shifts covered at my other job....

User67

Quote:
ssad.gif

Loveleighe

Quote:
ssad.gif

It happened to 2 counters in my region. they aren't newer counters it was because they were too small to be making "adequate sales goals" that would require extra holiday help.

YSLGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_eye
I was recently hired as a Freelancer for M.A.C. and my first day will be black Friday.
eeksign.gif

I am sooooo nervous!!! I know its going to be crazy busy. Has anyone ever worked on the day after Thanksgiving? What should I expect? Is it mostly selling or makeovers? Any special offers to customers?

How was your first day?

We were not that busy, the people came in waves. We would be slow and not have anyone in the store, and suddenly there would be like 20 people. It was like that until I left.

V. strange.

MelodyKat

We were dead after 5pm....all the "early bird specials" where done by then. People weren't too happy when they realized that cosmetics and M.A.C. didn't have anything on sale. We also got a ton of people asking for a free gift. One lady was trying to get me to give her one of our Slim makeup bags for free. I told her politely that the bag was not a gift but she could purchase it for $15.
greengrin.gif

Ruby_Woo

It wasn't bad at all. Our LY was so much higher. This economy sucks. lol all the openers broke 1k everyone else didnt. But good thing we did pot luck because food lines were crazy.

ductapemyheartt

okay, my freelance hours got cut too! my manager called me the morning of black friday and told me macy's had cut a bunch of her freelance hours so i did not have to go in that day...and now we had to totally rework the hours i was working for holiday because i had a TON of hours.

glad to know we were not the only counter. i was getting worried.
speculations on why this happening?

Latest posts