what products do you use on your fro?

milamonster

this is strictly for those of us with natural hair . Not that I'm tryign to ignore those naturals that press thier hair (or use chemicals) but I'm interested in products that work for fros when it's in that state. So what products do you use? What keeps your hair soft? What deep conditioner works the best? What techniques do you use? Also, if you have one, post a pic of your hair!

sidenote//I'm currently transtitioning (again) because i had pressed my hair out for about a year and it left me with inevitable straight parts to my hair. I'm trying to grow it out again so I can cut it off. I usually wear my hair in a puff and I sometimes twist it.

TISH1124

My hair in it's natural state (not flat ironed) is really curl but it does not stand up like a fro in my opinion...the top doesn't anyway......I use mostly Mizani shampoo and conditioner...I also use Frizz ease on it after I wash it so that the curls are not so frizzy and curling mousse.....I am wearing it un flat ironed now because I am lazy and trying to let it grow out...I took a quick shot but it is not a good one ..this is like two days of it and without doing anything to it, no products just washed and let dry...cuz I have been just hanging around cleaning...

shirleycurly-1.jpg

miss_primer

When I was natural I used Carols Daughter healthy hair butter. I would braid my hair in big braids to stretch it out some. I would put that product in my hair as i braid it up. The next day i would unravel the braids and come them out. It gives a nice stretched out fro. This would give it more volume and height..lol.

gingin501

To keep my hair soft I use a homemade spritzer daily…..

2 ounces of EVOO
2 ounces of Infusium 23 (moistur)ologie leave-in treatment
2 ounces of Veggie Glycerin
1 ounce of Jojoba oil
20 drops of tea tree oil
20 drops of Lavender oil
20 drops of rosemary
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
½ - ¾ cup of water

Great for a wash-n-go or fro!

I use Tressemme Moisture Rich Shampoo and Baking soda to wash my hair (I’m getting ready to switch over to black soap once my order comes in) once a week.

I love Sauve Humectant conditioner!!! I co-wash once a day! I think I’m, going to switch up to every other day soon.

I use aloe Vera gel and Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Serum for definition and shine on some days.

I deep condition my hair with Cholesterol Conditioner.

I usually put Shea Butter and/or Coconut oil on my hair at night before putting on my satin cap.

TISH1124

^^^ Ok...I know now I will never have a fro...I could never get my hair to stand up without teasing it to high hell and back..I have very crazy textured hair!

milamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingin501

2 ounces of EVOO
1 ounce of Jojoba oil
20 drops of tea tree oil
20 drops of Lavender oil
20 drops of rosemary
½ - ¾ cup of water

I use Tressemme Moisture Rich Shampoo and Baking soda to wash my hair (I’m getting ready to switch over to black soap once my order comes in) once a week.

I love Sauve Humectant conditioner!!! I co-wash once a day! I think I’m, going to switch up to every other day soon.

I use aloe Vera gel and Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Serum for definition and shine on some days.

I usually put Shea Butter and/or Coconut oil on my hair at night before putting on my satin cap.

questions:
do you twist/braid you r hair up at night?
and my cocnut oil came from a health food store like whole foods but its kind of gritty...do you warm yours up in microwave?
last question. i have glycerin from the store like cvs...is that the same as veggie glycerin? how do you know the diff?

milamonster

wait-one more question...where you get your shea butter from? the one i have is kind of thick...i used to use it for my twitsts...i got it at the african marketplace. im aware that it may not be actual shea butter you know?
but everyone makes it sound as if it is soft? mine felt like build up and thick after a while?

I'm glad you responded tho cuz your hair looks alot like mine...well before i pressed it and damaged it.
here are pics of what mine used to look like. i colored it as well and it went crazy because i was very busy as a senior in college and didnt take care of it like i used to...it just felt so damaged. adn now i think i may cut it down some. like a twa but longer. do you feel you have/had any probs with color? after i chop it i do want to experiment with color again...but take care of it better lol
here's (old) pics they're all kind of mixed in. i miss my hair tho lol

100_8124.jpg

its wet here lol

100_5255-1.jpg

100_3597.jpg

100_4630.jpg

100_5009.jpg

twistout

100_2613.jpg

100_5764.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingin501

2 ounces of EVOO
1 ounce of Jojoba oil
20 drops of tea tree oil
20 drops of Lavender oil
20 drops of rosemary
½ - ¾ cup of water

carandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamonster
questions:
do you twist/braid you r hair up at night?
and my cocnut oil came from a health food store like whole foods but its kind of gritty...do you warm yours up in microwave?
last question. i have glycerin from the store like cvs...is that the same as veggie glycerin? how do you know the diff?

As long as the glycerin says 100% pure, you will get the same effects.

For my hair, I am the worst at sticking to products. I rarely use the same thing all the time.

But, I have a spray bottle filled w/ EVOO, glycerin, infusium 23 leave-in and just a touch of water that I spray on my hair whenever I wet it.

For shampoos and conditioners I use:
pantene pro-v relaxed and natural (color treated shampoo and moisturizing conditiong)
pantene pro-v moisture renewel conditioner
matrix curl life intensive conditioner (<3 this stuff)
Matrix color smart shampoo (<3 this stuff as well. super gentle and keeps color from fading)

For styling:
smooth and shine gel (alcohol free and has just the right amount of hold)
garnier fructis curl products (i use the entire line depending on the amount of hold I want/style I'm doing)

I generally scrunch the products in while my hair is still soaking wet. Then I shake to seperate the curls and let it air dry. If it's rushed, I'll blow dry w/ a diffuser. If I want more "clumping" i.e. more ringlet curly instead of s-curl wavy, I will part my hair in horizontal section about 1" think, apply a little product, then brush through the section w/ a paddle brush.

I have used the carols daughter tui line, and I can't say that I'm in love. The shampoo made my hair feel dryer even while in the shower. The conditioner had almost no slip and made detangling my hair a pain in the ass. I had to add some other conditioner to be able to comb through it. It's not like combing you hair about once a week is going to be easy, but I definitely don't need a product that makes it harder. The final result looked nice, but for the price I wouldn't use it again. I do still want to try the hair milk.

Odette

To OP, I had exactly the same hair texture as you when I was natural. I really liked the following products: Curls whipped hair cream and and milkshake hair cream, both made my hair very and soft and smelled nice; and for moisture I liked Ultra Black Hair's Lotion Creme Moisturizer.

For great curl definition try applying a generous amount of moisturizer followed by some gel from root to tip while the hair is sopping wet, scrunching along the way, then shake your head vigorously to separate the curls. This is best done then while in the shower. Blot any excess water off with a towel. (Source: Good Hair...., by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner). This really works.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandru
As long as the glycerin says 100% pure, you will get the same effects.

For my hair, I am the worst at sticking to products. I rarely use the same thing all the time.

But, I have a spray bottle filled w/ EVOO, glycerin, infusium 23 leave-in and just a touch of water that I spray on my hair whenever I wet it.

For shampoos and conditioners I use:
pantene pro-v relaxed and natural (color treated shampoo and moisturizing conditiong)
pantene pro-v moisture renewel conditioner
matrix curl life intensive conditioner (<3 this stuff)
Matrix color smart shampoo (<3 this stuff as well. super gentle and keeps color from fading)

For styling:
smooth and shine gel (alcohol free and has just the right amount of hold)
garnier fructis curl products (i use the entire line depending on the amount of hold I want/style I'm doing)

I generally scrunch the products in while my hair is still soaking wet. Then I shake to seperate the curls and let it air dry. If it's rushed, I'll blow dry w/ a diffuser. If I want more "clumping" i.e. more ringlet curly instead of s-curl wavy, I will part my hair in horizontal section about 1" think, apply a little product, then brush through the section w/ a paddle brush.

I have used the carols daughter tui line, and I can't say that I'm in love. The shampoo made my hair feel dryer even while in the shower. The conditioner had almost no slip and made detangling my hair a pain in the ass. I had to add some other conditioner to be able to comb through it. It's not like combing you hair about once a week is going to be easy, but I definitely don't need a product that makes it harder. The final result looked nice, but for the price I wouldn't use it again. I do still want to try the hair milk.

What is the one product you would recommend to keep your hair moist daily in between washings...I probably wash mine to much...But it is the only way I can control the dryness. My hair has looser curls like yours....so it doesn't tangle too much

carandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
What is the one product you would recommend to keep your hair moist daily in between washings...I probably wash mine to much...But it is the only way I can control the dryness. My hair has looser curls like yours....so it doesn't tangle too much

Lol, girl I don't even touch my hair everyday if I can avoid it. J/K. I don't really re-wet it though unless I absolutely have to. But in general if it's need a little more moisture in between washing, I have another spray bottle w/ just water, glycerin and extra virgin olive oil that I use.

TISH1124

Thanks girl...mine gets so dry from the shower and such...not to mention the Texas dry humidity and heat!!

Sabrunka

I wish my hair was super curly and fro-ish.. Mind you I would NOT suit that style, but still! It would be fun to have
smiles.gif
I'm jealous. Although I figure it's hard to manage :p.

carandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Thanks girl...mine gets so dry from the shower and such...not to mention the Texas dry humidity and heat!!

Found this vid today. May be of some help. Lol, I haven't had time to listen to it since I'm at work, but I've used some tips from Erin in the past that really worked out for me. Love her!

YouTube - How to Moisturize Natural Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrunka
I wish my hair was super curly and fro-ish.. Mind you I would NOT suit that style, but still! It would be fun to have
smiles.gif
I'm jealous. Although I figure it's hard to manage :p.

At least for me, it's easier to manage then when my hair was relaxed. I really like the fact that I don't have to get up and do it everyday, not really. Just fluff it out for a few seconds and I'm out the door. If the front looks crazy, throw on a headband and I'm out the door. When I wear my hair straight, I feel like it needs to be perfect... no split ends (I trim my own), nice and glossy, every strand in place lol. I feel free to not really care w/ my fro b/c it's going to do what it's going to do.

milamonster

curious: what is your method for trimming

i also agree its alot easier to take care of. before i would have to make sure every piece is in place. and you end up wasting time and using too much heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandru
Found this vid today. May be of some help. Lol, I haven't had time to listen to it since I'm at work, but I've used some tips from Erin in the past that really worked out for me. Love her!

YouTube - How to Moisturize Natural Hair

At least for me, it's easier to manage then when my hair was relaxed. I really like the fact that I don't have to get up and do it everyday, not really. Just fluff it out for a few seconds and I'm out the door. If the front looks crazy, throw on a headband and I'm out the door. When I wear my hair straight, I feel like it needs to be perfect... no split ends (I trim my own), nice and glossy, every strand in place lol. I feel free to not really care w/ my fro b/c it's going to do what it's going to do.

Latest posts