My first post Before and after!

Kismet29

So I was hired for this gal who has a special event tonight. She told me she wanted to look glam and hot for the evening. I did a cut color, highlights and full face of make up. Here is the before.

Amanda.jpg

Here is the after 4 hours later!

amandaafter.jpg

I think she looks amazing! During the consult it was obvious that her idea of glam was waering any make up at all especially a color of any kind. So I didn't want to terrify her. After the hair was done I used:

Revlon colorstay Active in Buff over Sheils Pore Perfect foundation primer. Then I used a soft white shimmer on her brow bone and inner eye. I used a warm fleshy tone on the lid and soft brown/bronze on the crease. I lined it with Mirabella liner in twig and smoked it out with the darkest color shadow. I used Revlon double twist mascara in blackest black.
Then a flesh tones lip liner with Jane Kiss of Carmel lip stick.
I also used a matt natural colored blush and mirabella SUN bronzer.

Here is the kicker you guys. She absolutley hated it! Every single part of it! She hated the hair color and style hated the face the brows especially and the lips. She said the eye shadow was ok. She has no eye brows at all so I used a pencil to add some on and I swear it didn't look like drawn on brows I was so thrilled for her to see it but she hated it. I really hope she didn't wash her face and wear a hat to the event. I know people would have been wowed if she just gave herself time to adjust I think she would be really happy. Anyway I got payed but I feel like crud that she wasn't happy. What do you all think?
ssad.gif

soulkey

I think that you had done a great job.
I think that everyone needs some time to get used to changes, when I go to cut my hair I need a couple of days to get used to the new look. I hope that she has changed idea.

eaudebeauty

I think you did a great job at keeping her looking natural but polished!! That's too bad that she couldn't embrace the change and made you feel badly in the process. Don't take it personally -- I think her brows and the lip color are the best parts! Keep up the good work!

Odette

She looks fantastic. The brows and lip and hair colours definitely pull the look together. I am sorry she did not like what you did.

For next time ask potential clients to bring in pictures of looks they might like including colours; then at least you know what they are looking for. Rather than asking if they like a look when you are done, ask them if there is anything they would like to change, that way you can adjust accordingly and it is a win-win situation.

angi

You did a lovely job, and I think did it very sensitively to her needs considering she didn't really tell you what she wanted!

I agree with asking her if there is anything or any colours she likes/ doesn't like before/ during, or even having some face charts so that you can briefly go through ideas and get their go ahead. Or, if you've got someone really jumpy, and you're pretty certain they're not going to tell you what to do every 5 seconds, could you let them see the work as you are doing it?

The people that are always hardest to please are the people that don't know what they want, or know what they want but won't tell you!

Also, any change, particularly to your face/ makeup can be really scary, so from her point of view the whole look was probably a bit overwhelming because, to her, there was so much change to what she was used to seeing every day, and she probably not thought through the actual implications of having her hair and make up done and what she would look like after.

InspiredBlue

I think you did a great job. When you posted her picture the other day I thought to myself that this will be hard, but you did really well!

I have to wonder what she expected? Did she think it was too much makeup? Or did she expect you to be a magician?
winks.gif

mslips

I think you did a great job and she just isn't used to it. Did you do a follow up with her? She still looks natural and fresh, great look for Spring.

Kismet29

I did do a long consult before we started. One thing I always do is ask to see what they use on a daily basis. If they pull out one shadow and a lip balm I know I'm in for it if I do anything different. But this gall pulled out boxes of wild eye colors and like ten mascaras she said she usues every day. She had more color array than I do! So while I knew she wasn't going to go for a smokey look I thought what I did would work. The real killer for us was the brows. She over tweezes big time and we talked about brow shape. She said she heard that the brow was suppose to start at your pupil! Anyway I heard back from her today and she washed her face before the event then the kicker,,, she said "It just looked like I had allot of make up on and wasn't just me" LOL I know what she meant but geez do you hire a make up artitst to put on lip balm and mascara? Its ok she was very nice about it. But its so hard cause she looked soooo amazing and couldn't see it!
th_crazy.gif

mariserinb

i hope that at least you were able to explain to her that her brows shouldn't start at the pupil....yikes

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariserinb
i hope that at least you were able to explain to her that her brows shouldn't start at the pupil....yikes

Does "start" mean from the inside-out? So she thought that the gap in between her brows should go from pupil to pupil? This is killing me
th_LMAO.gif
Kismet, I hope you can brush this off and not let the experience get you down too much, because this lady seems pretty confused about makeup and beauty.

hello_my_apple

i think you did awesome her brows look perfect .. she looks very natural im sorry she was ungrateful, because she complained but im sure she couldnt have done a better job than you did ... she hates like you made her look drag lol.

Meisje

I think you did a fantastic job --- the haircolor and makeup make her look young, fresh, pretty and well-groomed. I also commend you for taking her comfort level into consideration with the intensity of color and application.

She probably didn't like it for one of these reasons:

1. She is completely uncomfortable with the way she looks, period --- therefore isn't going to like it no matter what you do

or

2. She refuses to open her mind to looking different and refuses to acknowledge that you know more on the topic

or

2. She's impossible to please

PinkBasset

I think you did terrific job, very well done indeed! The after picture is so polished, so pretty. I'm shocked that she didn't like it - however - I've noticed myself that with some people if you even speak about touching their eyebrows they freak out. I don't know why brows are so "don't go there" area fo many people. But like someone already said, I think whatever you did she was to be disliking it. I mean - if one thinks that brows look good when they start from pupils maybe she thinks "normal" brows are a joke. It's sad that she did not realize how good she looked. Maybe if she saw pictures of herself with that make-up rather than from a mirror?

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you did your job very professionally!

shadowaddict

Yeh, I don't get why she didn't like it either. I think she looks so much better. The hair color alone just brightens her up. The other color was quite drab. I think you kept her makeup very polished and certianly not overdone.

You did an amazing job. Just blow it off because she probably wouldn't have been happy with anything.

toxicglitter

holy crap she thought her eyebrows should start at her pupil!?!?!?!?!?!
wtf? whoever told her that shouldnt be giving advice.

anyways, i thought that you did a GREAT job! =)
her hair color looks soo much better, the brows look better and she didnt look like she had too much makeup on, it looked good, which is weird because how you said she had tons of makeup and in bright colors....!? hmm.
that sucks that she didnt like it. after all the time you put in to it and then she says she didnt like it? yikes! im a hairdresser and that happens once in a while and it kills me when im all done and it looks awesome and exactly how they wanted and they're like..."eeehhh...i dont knooooww.......".

Trixxy

You did a terrific job, she looked lovely.
It seems the woman may have image issues. The eyebrows, the slew of wacky eyeshadow colors she whipped out, etc. It's clear her thoughts on beauty are "different."

Latest posts