Trouble Finding Skincare

saizine

Well, I've recently encountered some road bumps with my skincare. I don't have terribly problematic skin: I've got relatively "normal" skin (not too oily, not too dry, "comfortable" skin that is just oilier in the t-zone, but not oily, if you know what I mean, lol) and I have mild acne, although I generally don't get any blemishes on my cheeks, just chin/around my mouth. They're generally under control, but...

I was using Clinique's Three Step System (a little modified, I was using Take the Day Off Cleansing Milk, the Toner 3, and the Dramatically Different Gel), but I found that it wasn't really clearing up any blemishes. So I switched to Neutrogena's Acne Oil-Free Grapefruit Scrub and Cream Cleanser. I used these for two or three days... I was thrilled that my skin cleared right up, then I noticed that my skin became really, really dry and flaky, and even discoloured, which really freaked me out! So I stopped using these and I've now been using Boots Traditional Milky Cleanser (in the glass bottle) and using Yes to Cucumbers Moisturizer.

But my acne has suddenly gone much worse! I've got blemishes on my cheeks coming, and I have had more spots show up at one time than I've ever had! It might have something to do with hormones, but I'm thinking that it has more to do with the harsh cleansers that I was using. But now I'm having such problems finding a "good" set of cleansers... and moisurizers! My skin is now feeling really dry all the time; even my trusty NARS Sheer Glow is not going on my skin well!
ssad.gif

I've also travelled from an area of high elevation, chilly weather, and dry air... to a hot, humid, low-lying area. I'm really hoping that that has little to do with it, because I am making a permanent move next month.

Any rec's for cleansers/toners/moisturizers? I don't want to have to take oral meds such as a Accutane, or similar things, because I don't generally have typically severe acne, and I don't think my skin/body could take such a severe treatment very well. This situation is really getting me down, especially first thing in the morning.

yazerella

I'm currently using the Lush skincare line. Nothing else agrees with my skin at the moment (it's super sensitive).

I think you're probably right about the environment change, but maybe your skin is also reacting to all the different products you've suddenly used on it? I remember when I tried something new after a long time of using the same thing and it made my skin dry, so I switched it up again and my skin went crazy!

Maybe you should leave your skin alone for a few days, just to let it calm down, use minimal cleanser etc on it. And then try a new skincare regime.

Like I said, I swear by the Lush skincare! (I use Coalface cleanser, Tea Tree Water toner (or Breath of Fresh Air) and Imperialis moisturiser - I have combination super sensitive skin).

Hope that helps!

marusia

Ok. Coming from someone who sells the "expensive" stuff on skincare and cosmetics...out of all the things I've ever used, these are my favorites.

Cleanser-St. Ives apricot scrub...and it's only like 3 dollars. Seriously. I've used cleansers that were over 40 a bottle that couldn't compete with that scrub. You can get it in any drug store.

Toner-It depends. In your situation, I'd recommend Clean & Clear. I use Lancome's Confort Tonique. With that being said though, my face is so dry, that if I don't do a full skincare regimen daily, I have snowflakes coming off my forehead..so obviously you're looking for something different than me LOL.

Moisturizers-I love Lancome Absolue..then again, it's super expensive and supposed to be for older ladies. It's what I use though because my skin feels completely drenched afterwards. I'm not sure what I'd recommend for an oily face. I have some deluxe samples of Lancome skincare that I can send if you wanted to try it out? I love Lancome. I only ask that you'd do the shipping on it. (like $2 for $80 worth of freebies LOL) Other than that, I also like Clean & Clear's moisturizers when my t-zone is oily. You'd never think that there are so many great products in a drug store. The next thing I'm going to try is Olay's Regenerist and see if it lives up to it's hype.

HTH!
smiles.gif