getting acquainted - a friendly poll

mspixieears

Hi there all, I thought I'd try to broaden the scope of the board by doing a poll-type thingy. Just general stuff, just interested in what the other people on the board are like, nothing too intrusive hopefully!

Here we go...

Where do you live? Australia. (You don't have to be mega-detailed)

What do you do? Um. I would like to be a musician and have some writing of mine published, but for the moment I'm a part-time worker, going back to undergrad study.

Are you a cat or dog person? Cat but I am getting to like dogs a lot more too.

Reading anything at the moment? Trying to finish a boring play by Sartre and Louis de Bernieres' Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? Interpol's most recent album Antics and an anthology by the Soft Pink Truth.

What have you seen recently at the cinema and following anything on TV?
I don't even remember the last time I went to the movies, but I saw The Chronicles of Riddick on DVD and thought it wasn't too bad. I have perverse appreciation for the British series Footballers' Wives and Tyra Banks' America's Next Top Model series.

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: Congested (I have a bad cold). Annoyed. Restless.

But generally speaking: critical, perfectionist, misread.

Your turn...thanks for playing!

jasper17

I will play.

Where do you live? Western suburbs of Chicago

What do you do? I'm a work comp underwriter at an insurance company.

Are you a cat or dog person? I'm a cat person but we just adopted a dog and she is definitely growing on me.

Reading anything at the moment? Naked by David Sedaris and a few other things which seem to have fallen by the wayside

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? The Garden State soundtrack and Chimera by Delerium

We don't usually go to the movies - the last thing we saw was House of Flying Daggers. As for TV, I watch Queer Eye obsessively and most home-related shows on TLC. Also Scrubs and Will & Grace.

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: Tired, busy and hopeful.

But generally speaking: Tired, perfectionistic (if that's a word) and helpful.

jamiemeng

Where do you live? Fontana California

What do you do? Um. I would like to be a makeup artist and a esthetician

Are you a cat or dog person? I am a dog person

Reading anything at the moment?NO I am not reading anything at the moment

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? I dont have a mp3 player.

I have seen Meet the Barkers, The O.C., Desperate Housewives

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: tired, restless, annoyed.

But generally speaking: Lazy, Happy about graduating from high school and Tired.

Jessica

Where do you live? Austin, Texas
What do you do? Currently I'm a nursing student, but as of the second week of May I will be functioning as a REAL nurse
smiles.gif

Are you a cat or dog person? Do I have to choose??? I love both, but I have to admit my "Princess Maggie"(kitty) does hold a dear place in my heart
Reading anything at the moment? Yeah, about 6-7 different texts on Community Nursing, Management and Leadership---uuuuggghhh I can't wait until I can break into my Harry Potter Books (I have all 5, but have yet to read them)
What is getting major play on your music system of choice? Green Day & Chevelle's latest release as well as Ministry and NIN esp pretty hate machine and broken
What have you seen recently at the cinema and following anything on TV? the last movie I saw @ the theater was the Incredibles and AI, extreme makeover-home edition on TV
Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself:tired, excited and super-bad case of senioritis
oh and a little concerned about where I'm gonna work after school is over

mac_obsession

Where do you live? Northern New Jersey

What do you do?
Take care of my daughter, Shop.. Computer repair, Teaching elderly how to "cope" with technology.

Are you a cat or dog person? I love both but my current circumstances do not allow for a dog :\

Reading anything at the moment? Not currently, recently finished The Lovely Bones

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? It depends on my mood...All types of music, Im as addicted to music as I am to MAC.
greengrin.gif

Robotz (HOW FUNNY!) and lets see tv? Jeopardy, House, CSI, ER, Desperate Housewives & Extreme Makeover Home Edition

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: Sensitive, caring & tired

But generally speaking: giving, honest & friendly.

amy

Ahh sure. Why not. 8)

Where do you live? US of A (Indiana to be exact!)

What do you do? I work in an ice cream shop right now. I want to go into graphic design, and would also like to work as a makeup artist at some point.

Are you a cat or dog person? Cat, but I want a Yorkie someday!
smiles.gif

Reading anything at the moment? Surprisingly no! I should start reading my HP books again for the 15th time!!

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? Ashlee Simpson, Coldplay, 40 Foot Echo, SPICE GIRLS!, Hanson, Green Day (now that is quite an eccelctic mix)

Movies: Eeep. I haven't gone to the movies in a good while. I've last seen....The Village, Napoleon about 50 times, can't think what else right now!
TV: CRAFT CORNER DEATHMATCH
lol.gif

3 adj: perfectionist, quirky, obsessive

midnightlouise

Where do you live? Nashville (but I'm not from here)

What do you do? Mom, student, freelance artist, wedding singer
greengrin.gif
soon-to-be-homeschool teacher.

Are you a cat or dog person? both! I have 5 cats & 2 dogs (plus a bird)

Reading anything at the moment? lots of books on my nightstand! But the last few days I've been reading Ian Rankin mystery novels in rapid succession....

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? Franz Ferdinand (my 4 year old loves them!) Queens of the Stone Age, the Vines, Oasis, the Smiths, Rollins Band, Audioslave, the Hives, and Supergrass. That's all that's in the player right now
smiles.gif

the last movie I saw at the theater was the Spongebob Squarepants movie. I guess the only thing I kind of follow on TV is 24. If I don't see it, then my husband tells me all about it anyway.

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: right now: aggravated, hungry, and headachey. In general: sarcastic, funny, and (a cool-ish kind of) nerdy
greengrin.gif

toropcheh

Hmm... I guess I'll play.
smiles.gif

Where do you live? Vancouver, BC. (I'm not Canadian though)
winks.gif

What do you do? Right now, I am working on my BA in Psychology, after which I plan on getting my Masters in Developmental Psychology. Until I get permanent residency here, I'm a tutor on campus, and I sell miscellaneous items on craigslist.org (so go check me out! lol).

Are you a cat or dog person? Both- grew up with cats, but ADORE Italian Cane Corso Mastiffs and English Bulldogs. Smoosh! Puppies and kittens! lol

Reading anything at the moment? Yep, The Myth of Sanity- about how people who have been through extreme trauma have a different level of awareness about life that people who haven't had trauma will never have (supposedly). Can you tell I like my psychology stuff?

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? Persian music. DH (& inlaws) are Persian, so I'm completely immersed in it and I LOVE it! Other than that, I am big on Aerosmith, Velvet Revolver, Scissor Sisters, and Guns and Roses.

We're actually going to see Robots tonight, and the last thing I saw on TV was 30-Minute Meals. (My TV is always on either the Food Network or HGTV.)

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: Accident-prone, unpredictable, chocoholic.

Good poll!
smiles.gif

ambriel

Where do you live? Ontario, Canada

What do you do? Technical Procedure Writer @ a nuclear plant...and collect MAC!

Are you a cat or dog person? Both...we have an Australian Cattle dog X named Bonkers, and 3 femine felines; Shadow, Pumpkin & Raven

Reading anything at the moment? Trying to finish DiVinci Code

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? not much....just the radio

I don't even remember the last time I went to the movies, but lately we rented The Butterfly Effect and Gothika...loved 'em both! TV shows I follow: House and The Collector

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: stressed (planning a house move and a wedding at the same time ~ I'm insane!), happy, contented

singinmys0ng

lol i love this stuff..

Where do you live?: Franklin,Tennessee!

What do you do? I WOULD like to model and makeup artist

Are you a cat or dog person? Def. Both..i love all animals..hehe

Reading anything at the moment? Well i just started reading a book by Dean Koonz and i've just forgettin what its called...

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? Tori Amos: Sleeps with Butterflies!

What have you seen recently at the cinema and following anything on TV? hmm..at the movies I saw In good comapny and i watch wild boyz which i totaly adore and Des. housewives!

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself:Content,peaceful,good mood In general:Bubbley,moody,down to earth

thenumberdevil

i love these things!

Where do you live? Cambridge, MA

What do you do? go to school, hang out with boyfriend, go to shows, listen to music, shop...

Are you a cat or dog preson? both! i've never had a cat, but i love most of the ones i've met. and i've always had dogs.

Reading anything at the moment? crime and punishment by fyodor dostoevsky, the grapes of wrath by john stienbeck, the namesake by jhumpa lahiri, and existentialism: from dostoevsky to sartre by walter kaufmann

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? lots of stuff: ted leo/rx-hearts of oak; neil young-rust never sleeps; sigur ros- ( ); ryan adams-heartbreaker; all things interpol; bob dylan-john westley harding... the list goes on

What have you seen recently at the cinema and following anything on TV? constantine... ahahahahaha, and i saw it with my mom too! also million dollar baby, which was amazing. as for tv, i hate to admit it and be a cliche 16 year old but... the oc.

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: right now: stressed, tired, restless... in general: complicated, passionate, intelligent

Juneplum

ooohhh i wanna play! here goes:

Where do you live? South Florida, USA 8)

What do you do?
Gainfully employed by a major corporation as a department manager so that I can support my retail addiction :twisted:

Are you a cat or dog person?
DOGS RULE IN MY WORLD!
thmbup.gif
I have 4 "children".. 2 VERY spoiled Shih Tzu's and a psychotic Chow/Sheperd mix. We now have a 4 month old kitten named Millie
eyelove.gif
She's just the cutest thing ever!

Reading anything at the moment?
Do Marie Claire, Glamour, Allure, Vogue and Lucky count?
th_wink3.gif

What is getting major play on your music system of choice?
Linkin Park's Meteora CD.. Me thinks i'm going thru a rock/metal phase again (much to my DH's dismay) hee hee
lol.gif

Lats movie I saw was Constantine... This weekend mostly DVD's.. The Incredibles, Alfie (could Jude Law BE any cuter), Ladder 49, Shaun of the Dead.. On TV, America's Next Top Model, Desperate Housewives, Lost,my soaps , The Amazing Race, Survivor, The Apprentice, The Contender.
th_worship.gif
thanks GOD for TiVo**
th_worship.gif

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself:
A little bit of a nut, can be bitchy if pushed :twisted: , very friendly..

But generally speaking:
Very giving, honest and loving..
bigstar.gif

Janice

Ok, I'll play. I don't normally do these sorts of things so bear with me!
bigstar.gif

Where do you live? Kyle, TX - Which is just outside of the state capitol, Austin, TX.
smiles.gif

What do you do? Wine Merchandiser for a major wine & liqour distributor. FT

Are you a cat or dog person? Both, though I would lean more towards cats. They are so incredibly complex without giving up much of themselves.
greengrin.gif

Reading anything at the moment? Reading Terry Brooks Shannara Series. I'm up to the most current book in the 13 book series. I've also been reading Dr. Lauras books (10 stupid things women do to mess up their lives, 10 stupid things couples do to mess up their lives, am looking for the care and feeding of husbands next) as well as listening to Dan Browns The Da Vinci Code audiobook on my iPod @ work. Can you tell I love to read?
greengrin.gif

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? Two things are getting constant play: Tool - Lateralus and a live Nine Inch Nails set from London 2002.

American Idol, first timer here weird how I just got hooked into this season. Last movie I caught @ the cinema was Constantine. (GOOD!
thmbup.gif
)

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: I got Ian to fill this one out for me, so here's his response to this question: beautiful, fun, intelligent
oh.gif
ops:

But generally speaking: Polite, firm, people pleaser

Elorien

wheee.. quiz time
greengrin.gif

Where do you live?
Vancouver, BC

What do you do?
Freelance illustrator, but working on getting a full-time job

Definitely a cat person, but I don't have any pets at the moment (unless boyfriends count)

Hitchhiker's Guide ot the Galaxy (re-reading before the movie)
greengrin.gif

Tori Amos, Frou Frou, Dar Williams, and various movie sountracks.. I love soundtracks.

I haven't been to the theatre in so long I forget.. on TV I'm watching Lost, Desperate Housewives, Amazing Race, Survivor, the Apprentice, and Stargate for my inner geek.

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: artistic, sarcastic, big ol' geek

But generally speaking: lost in my own little imaginary world :p

sara13

Where do you live? just outside of Seattle, WA

What do you do? office manager

Are you a cat or dog person? dog--have a yellow lab/Akita mix named Lily
smiles.gif

Reading anything at the moment? East of Eden

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? right now Dave Matthews Band Live Trax (San Francisco 2004)

no movies at the theatre, but rented Collateral and loved it. Also following the Apprentice on TV

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: content, busy, perfectionist

nphernetton

Where do you live? Kansas

What do you do? Work full time at a credentialing firm and go to school full time for networking telecommunications and management

Are you a cat or dog person? Both! I love my dog but my cats are cool too

Reading anything at the moment? The "Left Behind" series, I'm on #5

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? Van Morrison, Charlie Daniels, and Incubus

I saw Cursed and Be Cool recently, as for TV, nothing really...no time with school and work!

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: Determined, hyper-active, reliable

Lolita

Where do you live? Victoria, BC, Canada
What do you do? Hostess at a restaurant, and full time UVIC student
Are you a cat or dog person? about 50/50... no big slobbery dogs though
Reading anything at the moment? Trying to re-read slaughterhouse five, but also reading anthropology, psychology, art history, and mysticism text books
ssad.gif

What is getting major play on your music system of choice? Heh... all my CD's were stolen, so how about the radio?
What have you seen recently at the cinema and following anything on TV? Last movie I saw was Hitch. Last tv show i saw was.. um... some nature documentary on cheetahs?
Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: Depressed, stressed out, invaded (car stolen yesterday
ssad.gif
)... and im gonna add broke as a 4th word

singinmys0ng

Quote:
What is getting major play on your music system of choice? Heh... all my CD's were stolen, so how about the radio?
What have you seen recently at the cinema and following anything on TV? Last movie I saw was Hitch. Last tv show i saw was.. um... some nature documentary on cheetahs?
Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: Depressed, stressed out, invaded (car stolen yesterday )... and im gonna add broke as a 4th word

Lolita, i am so sorry to hear about that!!!I hope you find your car and your cds..those bastards
th_remoteImage-61.gif

Sanne

Where do you live?
delft, the Netherlands

What do you do?
I'm a doctors assistent, hopefully w/ a job again soon, and I'm going to nursing school in september.

Cat person! I don't like dogs at all!

the cosmo...

the pinacolada song for now, but in general I love Robbie Williams, Anouk, red hot chili peppers, Lenny Kravitz, Madonna and many more

I was looking at a theatreshow today of a dutch comedian called hans teeuwen, he's absoluty crazy, I love how honest and rude he can be
smiles.gif

I am also wathcing desperate housewifes(just saw the 4th episode), and I love to see friends, It's daily on tv now!

Lastly, 3 words to describe yourself: complicated, loving and weird

and according to my mum: a headstrong person, self willed, and insecured over myself and my actions (thanx mam!)

mspixieears

Thanks for playing you guys, we have such a diverse bunch here. Plus it was fun to read your responses. I'm very sorry to hear Lolita got her CD collection stolen, there'd be hell to pay if someone did that to me.

I also love the books/music you are all into - will have to jot down so many book titles to make sure I read them sometime too.
lol.gif

Latest posts