Authentic MAC #190 brush? - Counterfeit seller warning

Seary_Fairy

Hi everyone, I've only posted once before and since you could all help me out then, I was hoping someone could do so again.
Pretty please!
Just wanted to know if this MAC #190 brush looks authentic?

http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/81/bc/7c7e_1.JPG

Otherwise, could you point me in the direction of where/who (ie ebay sellers?) I could get this brush from below RRP?

Thanks so much!
smiles.gif

queenofdisaster

Re: Authentic MAC #190 brush?

hi! i have bought from gingerpett many times and i know her brushes are authentic... her 190 is about 18.99 right now...

Seary_Fairy

Hey queenofdisaster,

thanks for replying, i will definitely check her out, that sounds cheap!

clap.gif

queenofdisaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seary_Fairy
Hey queenofdisaster,

thanks for replying, i will definitely check her out, that sounds cheap!

clap.gif

no problem! hope it works out for ya!!!
clap.gif

caffn8me

The one photograph that you have linked to is of a genuine 190 brush. The fake 190s are a little different

Seary_Fairy

I begun this thread a little while ago, when I was on a quest for a 190 brush. I ended up purchasing the one (I thought) was in the picture that is in the original post. Yesterday I received it and as soon as I opened the parcel I had a funny feeling... Can you guys give me your opinion as to the authenticity of this brush? If it's fake I'll be so disappointed as its from a seller who has been raved about on these forums
weeping.gif
weeping.gif
weeping.gif

Also what about the shadestick? The box it came in is diff to all my other MAC boxes. Are MAC products only made in Canada? This one is made in the US.

Sorry the pics are small and bad quality, my camera is awful. Thanks if any of you can help
ssad.gif

caffn8me

I've yet to see counterfeit shadesticks yet. They're quite complicated to manufacture so the fakers won't be bothered.

The brush however is definitely fake. The crimping on the ferrule is all wrong. Purchasers of fake brushes also often report a noticeable chemical smell. The plastic sleeve has no bar code either.

190realfake.jpg

Seary_Fairy

Thanks very much girls for your help, I knew something wasn't right but I needed confirmation. I'm not sure what to say to the seller now - I don't want to sound aggressive or anything but I definitely want my money back. I have paid by paypal and I assume that has to be a good thing, but I'm not sure how to go about things? Caffn8me, can you offer me any more of your most helpful advice?
smiles.gif
I'm such an ebay noobie.

Greatly appreciated if you can.

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofdisaster
hi! i have bought from gingerpett many times and i know her brushes are authentic... her 190 is about 18.99 right now...

Not any more they're not!

Quote:
Thanks very much girls for your help, I knew something wasn't right but I needed confirmation. I'm not sure what to say to the seller now

Contact the seller advising that the brush you have received isn't the one that was pictured (that is indisputable as the one in the listing has correct crimping) and that it has been identified as counterfeit. Please feel free to point her in the direction of this thread too.

Advise her that there are a lot of fake brushes in circulation at the moment and she should check the authenticity more carefully before buying brushes for resale. Anyone offering her M·A·C brushes in bulk for resale is almost certainly selling counterfeit product. It is pretty safe to say that any brush she has bought from the same supplier as the 190 she sold you is counterfeit. M·A·C does not sell through wholesalers so anyone offering large quantities of M·A·C products at wholesale prices is unlikely to be offering genuine products - see Product information which states;

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccosmetics.com
I want to sell M·A·C products. What should I do?

While we appreciate your interest in M·A·C products, please be advised that our products are distributed for sale only at our authorized retail store accounts, the majority of which are located in major department stores or international perfumeries. While there are other points of sale, we are not seeking to expand our distribution network at this time. We do not offer franchises.

She may not be aware that there are lots of fakes on the market. There weren't any credible brush fakes just a year ago, now there are lots.

The fact she is buying for resale classifies her as a business rather than a private seller which means that she is subject to consumer protection laws. Under such laws she has a legal obligation not only to refund the selling price of the brush but also any postage and packaging charges - in both directions and she is probably legally obliged to do this before you send the brush back. No conditions for return she may have posted are valid as the product is counterfeit and not as described.

Beyond the consumer protection laws, it is a criminal offence to sell counterfeit items.

Looking at her other auctions, it is likely that many of the brushes she is selling are counterfeit, especially MAC ones she has sold multiples of recently including the 190, 194, 209 and 211.

If she doesn't refund your money fully including return postage and packaging and you get no joy with an eBay or PayPal dispute then your next step is to raise a complaint with New York State Consumer Protection Board as she is based in NY.

It's worth noting that she is no longer using photographs of the actual products but photographs she has copied from www.maccosmetics.com - this is a breach of copyright as well as a way of disguising the fact the brushes she is selling are counterfeit.

So far she has sold at least 183 x 190 brushes, 97 x 194 brushes, 48 x 209 brushes and 15 x 211 brushes. There's no way that the vast majority of these can be genuine.

Seary_Fairy

caffn8me,

Thanks so much for all your helpful advice. I should make note though that I didn't buy the counterfeit 190 from Gingerpett. I checked her out and wasn't sure about her (for of the reasons you noted), and also noticed her brushes didn't come in plastic so I was a bit put off..

I'm not sure if I should say who I did buy from, as I haven't received my refund yet. I emalied the seller, and she claims to not have known she was selling unauthentic MAC - yet is only offering a product refund (which is pretty unfair in my opinion, considering shipping from the US to Australia isn't really that cheap). However, to get most of my money back, that's all I can do I suppose...

*sigh*

caffn8me

No, you MUST insist on a full refund including postage or escalate the dispute with PayPal or consumer protection. Just because the seller claims not to know the product was counterfeit doesn't mean it's not a criminal offence - otherwise all sellers of counterdeit products could use that as a defence. If you PM me the seller's details I'll try to find out which consumer protection department is responsible.

By failing to refund the postage, the seller loses nothing and will sell the same returned brush onto some other unsuspecting buyer. If they find out they must refund two lots of postage then selling fake goods becomes much less viable financially.

huggablesecret

Quote:
So far she has sold at least 183 x 190 brushes, 97 x 194 brushes, 48 x 209 brushes and 15 x 211 brushes. There's no way that the vast majority of these can be genuine.

All those poor people
ssad.gif

eulchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
Not any more they're not!

hello! im a little confused right now... do you mean the price isnt any more, or that its a counterfeit?
hmm.gif

thank you!

Seary_Fairy

Hey eulchen,
I'm pretty sure caffn8me meant that gingerpett's brushes are no longer authentic, but she isn't selling the 190 brush as 'buy it now' either.

Caffn8me, I am going to pm you
smiles.gif

M.A.C.tastic

hey guys, i was reading this post as I was looking on ebay for the holiday 06 brush sets. the brushes in the set looks like it has the 3 groove ferrule. do you have pics of real brush sets caffn8? thanks!!

Seary_Fairy

Hey again everyone,

Just thought I would report back here now since my problem has been resolved - well sort of. After making the seller aware that the brush I received was counterfeit, she stopped replying to me as quickly as she had in previous emails, which I thought was a bit fishy. She even accused me of sending her back a different brush than the one she had sent me!

Anyway, she said she would still refund me even thugh she doubted my honesty. I could not believe I was the one being scrutinised!!!! It took sveral days to hear back from her again so I filed a Paypal claim. Only then did I get my refund - and thankfully it was for all shipping costs too.

I left neutral feedback saying I had received the fake brush and she left me negative saying I was a scammer! I am so angry but also upset that she has ruined my name BY TELLING A FILTHY LIE! She is the scammer for selling me the fake brush!

Just wanted to let you all know. Her seller id is adajacobs and I know many of you have had good transactions with her before, but I definitely do not recommend her to anyone. She is just a liar.

Anyway, RANT OVER.Sorry for the long post. Thanks also to Caffn8me for the advice.

Xqueeze_me

You're not the only one who got duped by the seller and get called a scammer.

I've been going on and on about Counterfeit MAC Pigments, which the seller who's got "MORALS" won't inform any of her unsuspecting customers what they've purchased. I exposed her and also contacted some of her buyers (which I've apologised for going behind her back to do it). Yes, I got my full refund including postage but there are MANY who just didn't and don't know what crap they're using.

The term extort and blackmail was used to describe me and some other people who exposed her. Said we extort and blackmail for MAC freebies on a daily basis. It infuriates me to just even READ about it because we are NEITHER! :/ I never KNEW about counterfeit MAC stuff until I purchased garbage fakes from her! (I just only started to like MAC too!)

At least you got your refund back, hey?
smiles.gif

Seary_Fairy

Hey Xqueeze_me,

Thanks for your support! I just never thought I would be in this situation and especially from such a 'trusted' seller. I am only exposing her here, not because of her bad service, but because she sent me the fake brush then ACCUSED ME of scamming HER! Thats the part I am most upset with. Really, I'm just so disappointed. Why would I waste a month trying to get a 30 dollar refund?

I guess I should just be happy to get my money back.

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Hey Xsqueeze_me,

Thanks for your support! I just never thought I would be in this situation and especially from such a 'trusted' seller. I am only exposing her here, not because of her bad service, but because she sent me the fake brush then ACCUSED ME of scamming HER! Thats the part I am most upset with. Really, I'm just so diasppointed. Why would I waste a month trying to get a 30 dollar refund?

I guess I should just be happy to get my mony back.

No worries! Just helping a sister out here!
winks.gif

Same situation, the seller's rating is 99.4% because majority of her buyers don't know that they've purchased garbage MAC Pigments from her! I happily gave her 3 +ve feedbacks THEN went to do my research and found out that I've purchased counterfeits. I still have 2 feedbacks that I can leave for her. She's asking for proof that the staff at MAC Counter can't provide AND she herself said SHE had contacted eBay and MAC about that matter. If she did, she would have provided PROOF for EVERYONE to see by now! She also kept changing her story too! Show's what a liar she is.

I better stop because I ALWAYS get all worked up when I talk about that matter!
th_remoteImage-61.gif
I have my refund back but I just don't feel the justice because majority of her buyers don't know what they're putting onto their skin!

ANYWAY, I'm sure when you buy from eBay again, the sellers will understand by looking at your feedback that you're a genuinely honest person!
thmbup.gif