When your boss starts to take advantage of how much you should get paid!

iio

I babysit for THREE kids...I pick each of them up from school at different times, prepare meals, clean after them and the house as well and get paid $170 a week. I was paid $160 for watching two kids in the beginning but he raised it $10 to watch his third. And I watch them for 5 hours Mon-Fri. So anyways...to get to the point, Last week I called in early to tell the father that I couldnt watch his kids because I strained my neck and I didnt want to risk driving the kids around so he was fine with it and he had to take work off that day. Then this monday he told me he wasnt going to pay me $170 because I missed Friday and he deducted $10 off so I was fine with that and he told me that I could make more money this week for staying an extra couple of hours.

And just today (friday) he called me and asked if I could watch the kids an extra three hours because he was going out with a couple of friends and their mom wouldnt be back from work until 8pm. So Im thinking great I can make some more money. Then he said that I wouldnt get paid extra cause I missed Friday. And I was like what!?

It really pissed me off cause its hard enough that his kids are being difficult with me and here he is changing his mind on how much I should get paid. I was so close to leaving before this had happened, cause his kids dont even listen to me. They have been back talking to me and been pretty ungrateful to me. Of course they have gotten in trouble for doing that because I've told the parents but they havent changed much. I've only stayed because I wanted to try to work with them hoping that the kids will change their ways with me. But I see no difference.

I feel it isnt worth it...I'm just about to give up and leave. The father is being an ass about me missing that one day. And the holidays are coming up and I know I will be staying an extra 15-20 hours next week cause the kids have a break and I will only get paid $200 which isnt much. The parents dont even pay me gas money. So I dont know what to do...I just feel like I dont even want to show up at their home anymore and move on with another job. I dont know...I just want to know what you girls think about this situation.

jdechant

Uggh...girl, you are getting underpaid!! I don't know if that normal wages for babysitting where you live...but where I am from, I pay my babysitter 30 dollars a day for my one daughter (and thats considered cheap) Yikes..sounds like this guy is a little to "controlling" towards you and money..You hold the upperdeck...tell him its your way or the highway...SHOW HIM WHO'S BOSS
smiles.gif

iio

^Thanks...my family and friends tell me that I am not getting paid what Im suppose to too. So he shouldnt be paying me less just for that one day I missed. Like I know he had trouble finding babysitters and the last one just left so he should be grateful that I came in and stayed as long as I did (which is 4 months) haha. But If this is going on like this right now then he might do it again. I dont know I think when I get paid Monday Im just gonna take it and leave. I dont care anymore I tried so hard to work with his kids and now he is trying to change my pay. That really did it for me.

jdechant

Yah..I wouldn't either...I in NO way treat my child's babysitter like that...so NOT COOL...you deserve better from a employer .....especially considering that you are taking care of his "life", right?? I think by quitting babysitting for him, it may bring his head out of the clouds and make him realize that he shouldn't treat people like that...

user79

I do think he has the right to deduct something from your salary if you missed a day, but it seems like you're already quite underpaid. I also think he should be paying you something for gas money if you are driving them around. I'd honestly just set up an hourly wage plan, and tell him to pay you per hour, and then something extra for gas.

iio

yeah I hope so...We were kind of at it this morning about my pay but it seems like he didnt get it at all! I've dealt with his kids spraying water at me, scratching the paint off my car, saying "No" and "Never" whenever I tell them to do something, and crying and screaming when I tell them to take their naps or their time outs. Now their dad telling me Im not getting paid extra for watching his kids while he goes out and have fun. Its all too much for such little pay.

iio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I do think he has the right to deduct something from your salary if you missed a day, but it seems like you're already quite underpaid. I also think he should be paying you something for gas money if you are driving them around. I'd honestly just set up an hourly wage plan, and tell him to pay you per hour, and then something extra for gas.

Yeah I understood when he told me he couldnt pay me the full $170. The only thing that got me mad was that he told me I can make extra money this week if he needed me to stay longer, and now he turns around and says that I wont get paid extra. He already took money out for the day I missed and now hes taking more out.

Beauty Mark

You firstly, even if his kids are angels, are getting seriously underpaid. You're a babysitter and a housekeeper?

Secondly, he should definitely reimburse you for gas money and for the car damage.

Beyond this incident, he has already taken advantage of you.

MACLovin

screw that!! see how much he appreciates you when you DIP!

You are NOT getting paid enough to deal with his bratty kids, and his shitty attitude on top of it.

Sorry, but I'd wait until I was all paid up and tell him you found a job elsewhere. He doesn't seem like a considerate employer at all, and I wouldn't put up with it..

sharkbytes

You're the boss in this situation, not him. If he wants to continue using you as a babysitter, then he needs to respect your bottom line on wages. Allowing him to set the salary puts him in control, and if he brings it up, politely remind him that you could make double babysitting for only one child.

iio

I know! omg I just want to scream. Like HELLO! Im doing him a favor by helping him...ALOT. It just makes me so mad and irritated. But yes Im planning to leave Monday AFTER I get my money and never coming back. I dont care how hard it will be for them to find a babysitter...they have family that live less than a mile away they can help. I dont think any other babysitter would want to work with him with that kind of pay and attitude he on how much I should and shouldnt be paid. He was lucky enough that he found a nice enough babysitter to take the job. I honestly needed the money but my time is not worth the money he is giving me...

TamiChoi

IMO, yes, underpaid indeed. you should tell it like it is, or just walk out. I just think thats unfair.

MACLovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iio
I know! omg I just want to scream. Like HELLO! Im doing him a favor by helping him...ALOT. It just makes me so mad and irritated. But yes Im planning to leave Monday AFTER I get my money and never coming back. I dont care how hard it will be for them to find a babysitter...they have family that live less than a mile away they can help. I dont think any other babysitter would want to work with him with that kind of pay and attitude he on how much I should and shouldnt be paid. He was lucky enough that he found a nice enough babysitter to take the job. I honestly needed the money but my time is not worth the money he is giving me...

Good for you! You shouldn't have to put up with that.. And I would let him know as you leave that you've found a better opportunity (even if you haven't really yet, but im sure you will!) where they are actually paying you what your time and services are worth, and let him marinate in that for a while. Hopefully he'll get the picture.

Ziya

Um hun, I am a childcare educator at a daycare..I make 15.94 an hour. Just so you can reference that...I think you should set out a contract with terms on how to deal with sick days and pay rates overtime etc. or he can find himself another babystitter!

iio

^Yeah I think that was the problem was that we didnt get to talk those things over in the beginning. THen this would have not let him change my pay. But oh well it will be over very very soon...im just going to tell him that this coming week will be my last week.

AngelBunny

For a babysitter that is working alone, and especially if any of the kids are pre-school age, it is outrageous to me for him to pay you any less than 5 per hour per child. If the kids are older and can do some things themselves, then he might be able to get away with lower ... but he should also be covering your gas and some of the mileage on your car for everything you do.

Get out of there girl ... life is too short to deal with jerks like him.

stacylynne

Bottom line is, you work, you get paid.
You need to be firm with him.

Ask him if he would goto work for extra hours & not have his boss pay him for it.
You need to be firm tell him what you want, if not, you are walking. There are so many other children you could be watching & not have to be abused by the children or their parents.

meaghan<3

YIKES! I'm a nanny of 2 and I get paid $20/hr with 30-40 hrs a week. You are way too underpaid. You need to set up a contract with him. That is a bit ridiculous. You are responsible for his 3 children and you are worth way more than $7/hr!!! Please don't let him take advantage of you!!!

minni4bebe

Hun, your being taken advantage of....I used to pay 275 for my daughter....and for all the extras u do, u deserve more

Latest posts