Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mac lipstick for dark skinned women

  1. #1

    Mac lipstick for dark skinned women

    Hello spektra people,

    I am pretty dark skinned( NC 55) when I try lipstick recommended for WOC they are always for NW 45 and 47. Im not brown Im chocolate skinned! The only mac lipstick I have and love is freckletone. I really want to try pinks and I wonder if there are any pink colors or coral colors from mac that wont make me look crazy. I have viva glam gaga which is supposed to be ok for black women but no matter what I do I look like an ashy lipped bandit with it on! I was thinking to try creme cup or speak louder. ( I also have bought girl about town and I had to return I looked like a clown!) for reference I am Oluchi Onweagba or Kiara Kabukuru complexion.

  2. #2
    I don't have many MAC lipstics, I mainly buy UK drugstore ones (which are just as good). Have you check youtube videos for inspiration? There are loads of colours out there waiting for you to try. Maybe go to a counter?

  3. #3
    Haha at "ashy lipped bandit". I would suggest to make sure you're using a lip liner with these colors. Using a liner can drastically change the look of a lip glass/lipstick and make it more fitted for your skin tone and tone down too bright colors. My go to everyday MAC pink lipstick would be Syrup it's MLBB (my lips but better), I just pair it with MAC's Chestnut liner for a bit of contrast. Syrup is a Lustre so the color is buildable.
    I have to ask you though...why just MAC lipsticks? You shouldn't limit yourself to just ONE brand. MAC is not the end all be all cosmetic company for women of color.

    BTW, For reference I am a NW50. So I empathize with the struggle of trying to find the perfect lip.

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
    I don't have many MAC lipstics, I mainly buy UK drugstore ones (which are just as good). Have you check youtube videos for inspiration? There are loads of colours out there waiting for you to try. Maybe go to a counter?
    Thanks the MUA at my mac counters do NOT help. Its pretty much self serve and I never know where to start. either that or they find an the darkest ugliest shade of brown or purple that only a 40 year old woman would wear

  5. #5
    Senior Member MAChostage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    1,569
    OUCH. I'm 40+ and I see (unfair) sentiments like this more often than I'd like on makeup boards. We successfully rock all kinds of shades, for the record. (And if you're blessed, maybe one day you'll see 40, too.)

    Okay, back to the topic...


    Quote Originally Posted by chocoheart View Post
    Thanks the MUA at my mac counters do NOT help. Its pretty much self serve and I never know where to start. either that or they find an the darkest ugliest shade of brown or purple that only a 40 year old woman would wear


  6. #6

    Sorry didnt mean to offend, its just they always recomend the most serious burgundy color and I noticed that dark colors that look sophisticated and classy on an older women can make a woman in her twenties look double her age.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAChostage View Post


  7. #7
    Ive never come across a drugstore lipstick that was high quality. I love mac lipsticks for the feel and the pleasant scent and packaging.The drugstore lippies I tried smell like wax or flowerly perfume and feel dry and chaulky on my lips. But maybe u know a good drugstore lipstick that is good quality

    Quote Originally Posted by KaytieBaybie View Post
    Haha at "ashy lipped bandit". I would suggest to make sure you're using a lip liner with these colors. Using a liner can drastically change the look of a lip glass/lipstick and make it more fitted for your skin tone and tone down too bright colors. My go to everyday MAC pink lipstick would be Syrup it's MLBB (my lips but better), I just pair it with MAC's Chestnut liner for a bit of contrast. Syrup is a Lustre so the color is buildable.
    I have to ask you though...why just MAC lipsticks? You shouldn't limit yourself to just ONE brand. MAC is not the end all be all cosmetic company for women of color.

    BTW, For reference I am a NW50. So I empathize with the struggle of trying to find the perfect lip.


  8. #8
    Since you are deeper in tone, you should try deeper pinks, such as fuchsia. Covergirl Lip Perfection in "Eternal and "Spellbound" is a really good start.

  9. #9

    Oh I didn't necessarily mean to look into drugstore lipsticks, I was just saying NARS and MUFE also make great lippies.
    Quote Originally Posted by chocoheart View Post


  10. #10
    You should try lip products from Iman's cosmetics line. They should have them at ULTA's and online.

    Jessica Rivera
    South Florida Makeup Artist
    http://www.makeupbyrivera.com



  11. #11
    Member antigone21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    montreal, qc, can
    Posts
    77
    My only pink lipstick from MAC is On Hold. It is a cremesheen that is a reddish raspberry with a little bit of gold shimmer. Sometimes it looks raspberry, sometimes it looks like a light, wearable red. I find that all of the MAC pink lipsticks are either too cool, too light, too pale and rarely suit me (I am NC40-42ish). Last time I went to the MAC counter I was looking at the lipsticks and there were two dark girls and we started talking and they were having a hard time finding something for themselves. We agreed that Revlon and Rimmel have the best pinks for WOC. When I have the money, I'll buy myself a couple of Lancôme l'Absolu Rouge lipsticks, they have the most beautiful pinks and corals I've ever seen.
    Current favorites:
    LANCÔME Teint Idole Ultra Bisque 6W
    MAC studio finish concealer NC42 and NW35
    MAC MSF Natural Medium dark with Eco Tools Bronzer brush
    NARS Mata Hari blush, NARS Taos, MAC Breezy
    RIMMEL lycra lash extender mascara



  12. #12
    Junior Member Amija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    21
    I am about a NW44. Sometimes the darker you are the better because your lips are more pigmented. I have a darker cousin and she can pull of some colors with no liner while i have to wear liner. MAC Rebel (love it) and Girl About Town are 2 of my fav. Rebel I can wear with no liner but GAT looks great with Nighmoth liner. Also try Revlon lipsticks. MAC is my fav but Revlon is a close second.
    And lol, I totally know what you mean about the dark shades. I'm just now getting back into lipstick and I am sick of that dark burgandy-ish shade that we thought all darkskinned girls had to wear.
    Buy cheap lipstick from Wet N Wild, NYC to more expensive like Revlon and CoverGirl to try color out. Put them on at home with different lipliners and see how you like them. If you don't want to go with MAC liners, NYX has some great shades of lipliner that are inexpensive so you can experiment with color.

  13. #13
    Junior Member a29105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio (college), South Carolina (home)
    Posts
    7
    I would try Show Orchid and Girl About Town by MAC. I'm NC50 and they both look great on me. As someone else already said, you can get away with just about any lipstick color so just go for it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member luvlydee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,161
    i love love looove Mac's Hug me. Thats the only lipstick I ever bought more than 1 of. lol But I think a lot of mac lipsticks can be pulled off by all woc, it just depends on your personal taste.
    *Dominican Babe*
    Blog: http://www.swatchesandstuff.com

    Sale:

    http://www.specktra.net/showthread.p...shes-for-cheap!!
    (buy1 get the second half off!)

  15. #15
    Senior Member pinkcrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,401
    I personally feel that we as WOC can pull off any lipcolor we desire... Adding a liner, sheering colors out and adding clear gloss r all ways to alter a color to ur liking... I have some MAC's brightest n hardest 2 pull off shades like Candy Yum Yum, Reel Sexy, and Saint Germain n have my own personal "recipe" for each. I could tell u my recipes but I think its important to experiment n find out wut best suits YOU

  16. #16
    Let me just say as a WOC myself i adore MAC HEROINE (REEL SEXY) ITS SOOOOOOOOOO GORGOUES
    Blog Sale: http://poxahontas.livejournal.com/

  17. #17
    Senior Member Copperhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    4,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Poxahontas View Post
    Let me just say as a WOC myself i adore MAC HEROINE (REEL SEXY) ITS SOOOOOOOOOO GORGOUES
    It is isn't it? I wore it a few days ago after not wearing it for a while and thought to myself "I must be crazy not wearing this more often".

  18. #18
    Senior Member TXBeautyBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The concrete jungle aka NYC
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
    It is isn't it? I wore it a few days ago after not wearing it for a while and thought to myself "I must be crazy not wearing this more often".
    YES!!!! This lipstick marked my love for purple lips!!! I wish I would have BU'ed Herione
    Beauty & Fashion Blog: http://knightbeautyhowto.com
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/goodkarmaknight
    Twitter: @kbeautyhowto
    MAC: Deep Dark, Studio Fix Fluid NW45-48, Matchmaster 8.5
    Dior: Nude 070
    Laura Mercier: Mocha

  19. #19
    Senior Member bobbiedoll03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dekalb Illinois, Illinois
    Posts
    611
    I have always heard, the darker the skin, the brighter and the deeper the color should be. I suggest deep pinks like MAC Lickable (my all time fave), I have seen MAC Creme de la femme work on a lot of deeper skin tones. I also suggest using a dark lip pencil to make it more wearable like chestnut liner or nighmoth.
    Check out my channel for makeup reviews, life stories, and natural hair tails: www.youtube.com/AKAbobbiedoll03

    INSTAGRAM::http://instagram.com/bdenisecole

  20. #20
    Senior Member pinkcrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiedoll03 View Post
    I have always heard, the darker the skin, the brighter and the deeper the color should be. I suggest deep pinks like MAC Lickable (my all time fave), I have seen MAC Creme de la femme work on a lot of deeper skin tones. I also suggest using a dark lip pencil to make it more wearable like chestnut liner or nighmoth.
    And don't 4get muted liners like Cork and Beet also look GORGEOUS on WOC

  21. #21
    Ikr its like this works so beautifully On brown skin. Yum! im so addicted wish i would of bought like 10 of them their so hard to find now!
    Blog Sale: http://poxahontas.livejournal.com/

  22. #22
    Senior Member Ashleybubbles83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,829
    I have heroine, style curve and violetta and those all work on WOC
    MAC Studio Fix: NW45-50 #TeamPurple #AllMyPurpleLife MAC, NARS, & Urban Decay lover Twitter: Ashcatchme83 Instagram: ashleyma30 "Makeup is serious business, but it does not run my life!"

  23. #23
    Heroine is awesome if you can find it. Other great shades include Violetta, Sweetie, Media, Diva, Up the Amp (try currant liner with this one though), Goes and Goes, Viva Glam VI, Rebel

  24. #24
    Member auriannjag42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    phx, arizona
    Posts
    75
    I have to agree with everyone about heroine...it such a beautiful color on us woc...

  25. #25
    Senior Member pinkcrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,401
    And ladies we can't 4get about our new WOC admired shade Yung Rapunxel!!! I finally wore it again n snapped a few pics, I used one as my avatar... Along with Y R I wore a basic matte black shadow n Black Radiance Baked Blush in Plum Sorbet...

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by auriannjag42 View Post
    I have to agree with everyone about heroine...it such a beautiful color on us woc...
    So true!!! I love my Heroine as well

    MAC Cyber is a really sexy shade as well, perfect for fall and perfect for WOC.
    Nappy lady somewhere in Paris...
    NC50/NW45 Studio Tech
    Mineralize Skinfinish Natural Deep Dark
    Blushaholic, Addicted to bold Lipsticks

  27. #27
    Mac Heroine Lipstick!!!!Really Sexy Collection.............

  28. #28
    Member auriannjag42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    phx, arizona
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Missjailor View Post
    So true!!! I love my Heroine as well MAC Cyber is a really sexy shade as well, perfect for fall and perfect for WOC.
    i just bought MAC Cyber and everytime i go to put it on, i feel like its a tad bit too harsh...i dont know if i am going about it the wrong way or not but i want to make this color work...lol i need some suggestions please and thank you

  29. #29
    Senior Member Boasorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In one of the original 13 colonies
    Posts
    1,832
    Try to dab Cyber on lightly with your finger- that usually works for me over smearing a har to work with color straight from tube. Some other colors to suggest for dark women Rebel Craving Viva Glam 1-4-5 Creme in Your Coffee Taupe Pink Noveau Dunbonnet

  30. #30
    Senior Member MAChostage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by auriannjag42 View Post
    i just bought MAC Cyber and everytime i go to put it on, i feel like its a tad bit too harsh...i dont know if i am going about it the wrong way or not but i want to make this color work...lol i need some suggestions please and thank you
    I personally could not make Cyber work for me and ended up swapping it away. In hindsight, I would have tried to apply it extremely lightly with a gloss on top. Glosses that come to mind to try (all MAC): Blackfire Glimmerglass (L/E), Lustrewhite Lustreglass, Boys Go Crazy Dazzleglass (L/E?).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •