Mac lipstick for dark skinned women

chocoheart

Hello spektra people,

I am pretty dark skinned( NC 55) when I try lipstick recommended for WOC they are always for NW 45 and 47. Im not brown Im chocolate skinned! The only mac lipstick I have and love is freckletone. I really want to try pinks and I wonder if there are any pink colors or coral colors from mac that wont make me look crazy. I have viva glam gaga which is supposed to be ok for black women but no matter what I do I look like an ashy lipped bandit with it on! I was thinking to try creme cup or speak louder. ( I also have bought girl about town and I had to return I looked like a clown!) for reference I am Oluchi Onweagba or Kiara Kabukuru complexion.

Sundae

I don't have many MAC lipstics, I mainly buy UK drugstore ones (which are just as good). Have you check youtube videos for inspiration? There are loads of colours out there waiting for you to try. Maybe go to a counter?

KaytieBaybie

Haha at "ashy lipped bandit". I would suggest to make sure you're using a lip liner with these colors. Using a liner can drastically change the look of a lip glass/lipstick and make it more fitted for your skin tone and tone down too bright colors. My go to everyday MAC pink lipstick would be Syrup it's MLBB (my lips but better), I just pair it with MAC's Chestnut liner for a bit of contrast. Syrup is a Lustre so the color is buildable.
I have to ask you though...why just MAC lipsticks? You shouldn't limit yourself to just ONE brand. MAC is not the end all be all cosmetic company for women of color.

BTW, For reference I am a NW50. So I empathize with the struggle of trying to find the perfect lip.

chocoheart

I don't have many MAC lipstics, I mainly buy UK drugstore ones (which are just as good). Have you check youtube videos for inspiration? There are loads of colours out there waiting for you to try. Maybe go to a counter?

Thanks the MUA at my mac counters do NOT help. Its pretty much self serve and I never know where to start. either that or they find an the darkest ugliest shade of brown or purple that only a 40 year old woman would wear

MAChostage

OUCH. I'm 40+ and I see (unfair) sentiments like this more often than I'd like on makeup boards. We successfully rock all kinds of shades, for the record. (And if you're blessed, maybe one day you'll see 40, too.)
winks.gif

Okay, back to the topic...

Thanks the MUA at my mac counters do NOT help. Its pretty much self serve and I never know where to start. either that or they find an the darkest ugliest shade of brown or purple that only a 40 year old woman would wear

chocoheart

Sorry didnt mean to offend, its just they always recomend the most serious burgundy color and I noticed that dark colors that look sophisticated and classy on an older women can make a woman in her twenties look double her age.

chocoheart

Ive never come across a drugstore lipstick that was high quality. I love mac lipsticks for the feel and the pleasant scent and packaging.The drugstore lippies I tried smell like wax or flowerly perfume and feel dry and chaulky on my lips. But maybe u know a good drugstore lipstick that is good quality

Haha at "ashy lipped bandit". I would suggest to make sure you're using a lip liner with these colors. Using a liner can drastically change the look of a lip glass/lipstick and make it more fitted for your skin tone and tone down too bright colors. My go to everyday MAC pink lipstick would be Syrup it's MLBB (my lips but better), I just pair it with MAC's Chestnut liner for a bit of contrast. Syrup is a Lustre so the color is buildable.
I have to ask you though...why just MAC lipsticks? You shouldn't limit yourself to just ONE brand. MAC is not the end all be all cosmetic company for women of color.

BTW, For reference I am a NW50. So I empathize with the struggle of trying to find the perfect lip.

treesmile

Since you are deeper in tone, you should try deeper pinks, such as fuchsia. Covergirl Lip Perfection in "Eternal and "Spellbound" is a really good start.

KaytieBaybie

Oh I didn't necessarily mean to look into drugstore lipsticks, I was just saying NARS and MUFE also make great lippies.

antigone21

My only pink lipstick from MAC is On Hold. It is a cremesheen that is a reddish raspberry with a little bit of gold shimmer. Sometimes it looks raspberry, sometimes it looks like a light, wearable red. I find that all of the MAC pink lipsticks are either too cool, too light, too pale and rarely suit me (I am NC40-42ish). Last time I went to the MAC counter I was looking at the lipsticks and there were two dark girls and we started talking and they were having a hard time finding something for themselves. We agreed that Revlon and Rimmel have the best pinks for WOC. When I have the money, I'll buy myself a couple of Lancôme l'Absolu Rouge lipsticks, they have the most beautiful pinks and corals I've ever seen.

Amija

I am about a NW44. Sometimes the darker you are the better because your lips are more pigmented. I have a darker cousin and she can pull of some colors with no liner while i have to wear liner. MAC Rebel (love it) and Girl About Town are 2 of my fav. Rebel I can wear with no liner but GAT looks great with Nighmoth liner. Also try Revlon lipsticks. MAC is my fav but Revlon is a close second.
And lol, I totally know what you mean about the dark shades. I'm just now getting back into lipstick and I am sick of that dark burgandy-ish shade that we thought all darkskinned girls had to wear.
Buy cheap lipstick from Wet N Wild, NYC to more expensive like Revlon and CoverGirl to try color out. Put them on at home with different lipliners and see how you like them. If you don't want to go with MAC liners, NYX has some great shades of lipliner that are inexpensive so you can experiment with color.

luvlydee

i love love looove Mac's Hug me. Thats the only lipstick I ever bought more than 1 of. lol But I think a lot of mac lipsticks can be pulled off by all woc, it just depends on your personal taste.

pinkcrush

I personally feel that we as WOC can pull off any lipcolor we desire... Adding a liner, sheering colors out and adding clear gloss r all ways to alter a color to ur liking... I have some MAC's brightest n hardest 2 pull off shades like Candy Yum Yum, Reel Sexy, and Saint Germain n have my own personal "recipe" for each. I could tell u my recipes but I think its important to experiment n find out wut best suits YOU :)

bobbiedoll03

I have always heard, the darker the skin, the brighter and the deeper the color should be. I suggest deep pinks like MAC Lickable (my all time fave), I have seen MAC Creme de la femme work on a lot of deeper skin tones. I also suggest using a dark lip pencil to make it more wearable like chestnut liner or nighmoth.

pinkcrush

[COLOR=000000]I have always heard, the darker the skin, the brighter and the deeper the color should be. I suggest deep pinks like MAC Lickable (my all time fave), I have seen MAC Creme de la femme work on a lot of deeper skin tones. I also suggest using a dark lip pencil to make it more wearable like chestnut liner or nighmoth.[/COLOR]
And don't 4get muted liners like Cork and Beet also look GORGEOUS on WOC

Ikr its like this works so beautifully On brown skin. Yum! im so addicted wish i would of bought like 10 of them their so hard to find now!

Latest posts