MAC - MAC Me Over Discussion

Miss QQ

Thanks to all the reviews and especially on the 226. I'm actually interested in getting one that isn't as tapered as the 226 I had from BBR. I don't have the 224 - wanted to buy it but it was always out of stocks and I feel it is too bushy at the tip for me. I love the 217 but it has too many hairs, meaning it is too big to put colours on my crease, but great for blending. So if the new 226 is like a smaller 224, it may be what I want. But I wish it comes in the bouncy white goat hairs which I like more than the black hairs.

Adee

I ended up getting waaaay more than I expected. Here my list: Avenue (elegant-one sold me on this and I totally agree!!) Midnight Blues (was expecting more blue, but this dark teal-blue is definitely worth it) Dark Envy (a little more sheer than expected but I still like it) Oh oh oh (I like that it looks like MLBB on me) Offshoot (super pretty and soft and creamy) Tundra (super creamy and pigmented!) Heirloom (beautiful icy pink!) Lady Grey (I am in love! I am NW15-20) Mythical (holy cow this is gorgeous and crazy pigmented and buttery!) Creamy Bisque (nice highlighter. Also looks great over heirloom on the lid with mythical in the crease) Seaside (super shimmery coral- will be perfect as a blush for me) 211 (my new holy Grail fluidline brush!) I have to mention the evil eye quad because it's the first time I've been truly disappointed by Mac. I could not get any color from this quad. What the heck were they thinking?? Definitely think twice before you buy this one. If you wanna work for it, get it. Otherwise, leave it!!

HoneyMilk

The Evil Eye quad was the only tester out of the new collection that still looked clean and like new at the store (hmm wonder why!
sneaky.gif
). Everything else had already been gouged and was half gone. The Avenue tester was nearly empty. It actually looked like a bunch of kids went wild around the new stuff.

UrbanSweetheart

I have to mention the evil eye quad because it's the first time I've been truly disappointed by Mac. I could not get any color from this quad. What the heck were they thinking?? Definitely think twice before you buy this one. If you wanna work for it, get it. Otherwise, leave it!!
Do you have Gem of Roses? If so, how does it compare to Offshoot?

Ember2

Hope everyone is enjoying their hauls.

I went to the MAC counter today with the intent of picking up one eyeshadow I can use on my eyelid for day, I was thinking Moleskin, and maybe the Off Shoot lipstick. And of course I was going to swatch and check the rest of the collection out too. I'm not a big fluid line or lip glass girl, so I passed on these. I was surprised by how dupeable so many of the products are. I also learned that with this collection I really needed to swatch things for myself.

Moleskin swatched okay on me, but it was so close to Wedge that it wasn't worth the $$ (Wedge was a little more taupy). It is also close to Kid eyeshadow.

Carbonized was not as pigmented as I hoped, and pulled really brown on me, so brown in fact that it resembled Mulch a little too closely for me to take it home.

Offshoot pulled quite brown on me, just a little darker and slightly more plum than Hug Me, so I passed on it.

I skipped the darker lippies because I already have a number of shades close to what I saw.

My big find was Creamy Bisque eyeshadow. It's quite nicely pigmented and swatched beautifully. On me it works as an all over eyelid colour. I swatched it with Dazzelight, and although they are similar in tone Dazzlelight is very frosty next to Creamy Bisque.

The counter I went to only got 6 in of some of the lipsticks. They have to use 1 of those 6 for a tester, leaving only 5 for sale. I know they are limited editions, but that is ridiculous.

hoshiakari_

ladyarwen and foxxylatina07, you're tempting me to buy Rebel!
this sounds weird, but the color reminds me how one's lips would turn after eating beets
girlhaha.gif

thanks for your input on the 211 liba and Adee, I'm tempted to give in and buy that too :D
now I'm thinking about getting Equilibrium to pair with Runaway Red...

Mac-Guy

Ok more musings.....

Evil Eye quad: Hmmm, these were gorgeous colors. The only one that isn't an unusual color is the purple and even that is a matte (yup, I'm into mattes now in general). They did not swatch nicely on my hand - I had to really grind around a bit with the brush I had. I only had the 226 and a 234 sitting in the display to try it with, though. Honestly, these seem like you need one of the white goat hair brushes like the 239 or the 217 or alternately a flat stiff synthetic brush like the 212 to properly lift and apply it. I think with the right brush, it'll get on the eyes with an acceptable level of color. Still, I think they're going for matte but a bit sheer, rather than flat dense matte (which isn't that flattering anyways if you ask me). I'm really tempted to get this one - might need to go back to a store and try it on my eyes with a 212.

Lady Grey quad: The colors pick up better with a standard brush than Evil Eye and there are some nice daytime smokey pale colors here, but it's not the right set of colors for me. This is another one that will look great on blondes and a lot of asian skin tones.

CCBs: I usually don't care for these - they're too greasy for me and just sit on top of the skin without getting absorbed. At least the CCBs of the past were like this. Both of these new ones are much stiffer and dryer than the CCBs I own, which lets them apply much better - probably will have better wear on the eyes without creasing too. I'm tempted by Take Root, but I think I'll need to try it on an eye and let it go for a day to see if it creases like my other CCBs do.

Mythical: I couldn't resist this one - great for green eyes and is going to work really well in looks with the Semi-Precious MES. Right off the top of my head, Clarity, Quartz Fusion, Hint of Sapphire, Mineral Mode and Faux Gold are all going to be excellent in combination with it.

Moleskin: Seriously tempting. Probably will be getting this one too, since I've already told myself no more shadows unless they're matte or a perfect color to blend in with all my crazy Semi-Precious haulage.

Outre: I love mustard colors like this, but i need to go back and compare it to the ochre in the Colorization duo (that one swatched better, but may not looks as good on me - will have to test it more).

ALL of the glosses: Lots of really nice colors here, but let's face it, there will be plenty of similar colors in formulas better than Lipglass on the horizon. I still have (and love) Spree from Fabulous Felines, but Social Light might be a good replacement for it when I run out, which will be soon.

Not a fan of Oh Oh Oh for myself, but Offshoot caught my eye. It's a browner version of One of a Kind, which I adore and wear all the time.

I'm just glad I'm not interested in much from Cindy Sherman/Fall Color, because I bought a bit more from this one than expected. It's a nice solid and straightforward collection. My beloved manager back in L.A. mentioned one time to me that Fabulous Felines was the worst selling MAC collection in the 15 years he's been with the company, so maybe they felt like they needed to do a more basic, back to school type of thing that's nice and friendly for all.
This is what sold me on the CCB's. They also dry down rather fast and make a nice base. The older ones did not set as quickly, so I was very pleased to see that the new one work differently.

Mac-Guy

The Evil Eye quad was the only tester out of the new collection that still looked clean and like new at the store (hmm wonder why!
sneaky.gif
). Everything else had already been gouged and was half gone. The Avenue tester was nearly empty. It actually looked like a bunch of kids went wild around the new stuff.
It's so sad when the display/counter gets messy. They should have enough samples.

2browneyes

Thanks 2browneyes. I think they also have one that looks more like Prince Noir. What is the texture like on the Vamp It Up?
I like it....pretty smooth, not drying like I thought it would be. I always use a lil layer of lip balm under all my lipstick or gloss anyway so.....but overall, I think it'll be a good dupe and much less costly alternative.

Prettypackages

It is just like everyone said, offshoot is GOR with more brown in it. I didn't care for it and thought GOR was much better. I didn't have my camera to do a swatch comparison though.

Prettypackages

I wonder if MAC has been having issues with this one from the beginning and we didn't realize it. Karen's isn't as tapered and I'm assuming it is old b/c she posted about it July, then others that I see are extremely pointy.

2browneyes

^ Ur welcome :) I will head over to the store to see about W&W dupes for Prince Noir and Rebel....will let you know when I get back.

lmcmullen

I got Part 1 of my stash last night - Stunner, Offshoot, and Oh Oh Oh.

My general feeling is that they're all ok, but I probably wouldn't buy them again. They're all useful and wearable but nothing really out of the ordinary at least on me. The lipsticks are nice for fall, and are slightly darker than MLBB (I am light skinned but have very pigmented lips).

Stunner - I load this on to get it to show up on my NC25 skin. It's lighter than I expected, but it's a nice color when it finally shows up. It might show up better in the winter when I'm a shade or two paler. Temptalia had this listed as a must-have but I don't think I agree, at least not for me.

Offshoot - reminds me a lot of Mac Midimauve but without the silvery shimmer. Pulls a hair too warm on me but I'll still use it. It's definitely browner and a bit darker than Gem of Roses, which I also have. Texture is nice and it's opaque.

Oh Oh Oh - this came out darker and less pink on me than it did in other peoples swatches. On me it's almost like a lighter version of Naked Paris with smaller-sized frost in it. It's fairly sheer which I'm ok with as it would be a bit too dark on me if it wasn't.

I'm looking forward to seeing Part 2 (Avenue, Lady Grey, and Cakeshop) which should be in tonight.

rockin

I am trying really hard to cut down my wish list for this collection, but failing miserably

My list currently stands at:

Oh Oh Oh
Plum Fun
Avenue
Dark Envy
All shadesticks except Butternutty (as I already have that one)
Mythical
Creamy Bisque
Moleskin
Carbonized
Stunner
Seaside

It's quite a problem as I know I'll also want most, if not all, the Paint Pots from Posh Paradise

Does anyone know how Tundra shadestick compares to Silverstroke Fluidline?

Latest posts