MAC Matchmaster-did you find your perfect match?

wow that's interesting. The MA tried 7, 7.5, and 8 on me today. 7.5 won again. 7 was way light and 8 was giving me ashy. Do you have any other foundations that you like and what color do you wear in them?

Sorry for the late response but according to your siggy you seem to be my exact color match. I'm a 173 in MUFE HD and 214 in Duo Mat. I'm between Cadiz and Macao in Nars Sheer Glow. Cadiz is a bit light though it is doable with a bit of MSF Natural in Dark. But Macao is a too dark unless I have a tan and then it works perfectly.

I thought I would be a 7.5 too honestly because the 7.0 looked so bright against my skin but I was matched each time to the 7.0. I got a sample of 7.5 though and it is too dark on my face. Maybe we have different undertones though? Because in Mac Studio fix powder I can't wear any NC because it looks ashy/crazy on my skin. I either wear NW43 which is good though it's a bit red or C7/C8 depending on the time of year. But I can only wear NC in the liquid foundations. My skin is weird.

But yes, 7.0 is my perfect match as of now. 7.5 could/probably would work in the summer but it's visibly darker on my face now.

califabulous

What shade do you wear in Nars Sheer Matte?

I need to go buy a bottle of MM because I've just about worn my sample out.

I wear Macao in the sheer matte. wearing cadiz alone is quite risky :) But if I wear cadiz at the center and macao at the perimeter it's fine. Also, mixing the two together is fabulous but I am so not a fan of mixing. Macao is a great match now that I have my California coloring. I love it. Cadiz would prob work in the winter if I was still on the east coast. It doesn't get/stay that cold here so I doubt I will pale at all.

califabulous

Sorry for the late response but according to your siggy you seem to be my exact color match. I'm a 173 in MUFE HD and 214 in Duo Mat. I'm between Cadiz and Macao in Nars Sheer Glow. Cadiz is a bit light though it is doable with a bit of MSF Natural in Dark. But Macao is a too dark unless I have a tan and then it works perfectly.

I thought I would be a 7.5 too honestly because the 7.0 looked so bright against my skin but I was matched each time to the 7.0. I got a sample of 7.5 though and it is too dark on my face. Maybe we have different undertones though? Because in Mac Studio fix powder I can't wear any NC because it looks ashy/crazy on my skin. I either wear NW43 which is good though it's a bit red or C7/C8 depending on the time of year. But I can only wear NC in the liquid foundations. My skin is weird.

But yes, 7.0 is my perfect match as of now. 7.5 could/probably would work in the summer but it's visibly darker on my face now.
Hey! NP. I guarantee our undertones are different. I am always looking for girls based on the shades we have in common and let me tell you more often than not we are different colors :) I have some deep yellow in my skin and I am lighter in the center. My perimeter is much darker (IMO). 7.0 I could wear if I used a bronzer or darker setting powder but I always let photos be the final judge. It may give me an ashy cast. 7.5 is like my ultimate match. It does seem to be a bit orange...but it simply evens my tone from the center to the perimeter of my face. My thing with foundation is either I have to go lighter or darker...no in between....MM seems to "get that". This is also why I like Macao-Nars sheer matte. It is deep yellow as opposed to golden(?) yellow and that seems to work. But if I put on too much..i will look darker. like I think I could wear macao year round depending on the how heavy or light the application is. As for duo mat 214. Love this stuff. but it is not the right color. I think it's off but I have to stare at myself so long and hard and I can't see a problem so I just continue to wear it. 209/216/218 do not work at all. Face and body-fagetaboutit. MAC nope-any of the shades I mention have to be mixed. If I had to pick a shade in MAC I would have to say NW43. The C's on my skin are a hot mess....

I understand exactly what you mean. I also have a really big problem of my face and neck not matching my chest. For some reason my chest is really bright (it is especially noticeable in photos) lot and it tends to make a lot of my makeup look weird. But I'm pretty neutral/yellowish in my undertones (except when it comes to the studio fix powder). It's funny though because I can wear the MUFE DuoMat in 216 when I tan (which is what i wore in the summer). I notice now that it is very reddish on me though. Same thing with Macao. I thought it was a perfect match when I bought it and wore it for a while and then I noticed it looked somewhat muddy on me and also made the contrast between my face and chest much more noticeable.
But 7.0 is definitely my color though I did try the 7.5 again today and noticed that it can actually work on me if I apply it very lightly with fingers (which I don't do). It looked good when I did it that way and set it with MSF. I'll use up the sample but definitely will purchase the 7.0 especially that winter is coming soon.
Hey! NP. I guarantee our undertones are different. I am always looking for girls based on the shades we have in common and let me tell you more often than not we are different colors :) I have some deep yellow in my skin and I am lighter in the center. My perimeter is much darker (IMO). 7.0 I could wear if I used a bronzer or darker setting powder but I always let photos be the final judge. It may give me an ashy cast. 7.5 is like my ultimate match. It does seem to be a bit orange...but it simply evens my tone from the center to the perimeter of my face. My thing with foundation is either I have to go lighter or darker...no in between....MM seems to "get that". This is also why I like Macao-Nars sheer matte. It is deep yellow as opposed to golden(?) yellow and that seems to work. But if I put on too much..i will look darker. like I think I could wear macao year round depending on the how heavy or light the application is. As for duo mat 214. Love this stuff. but it is not the right color. I think it's off but I have to stare at myself so long and hard and I can't see a problem so I just continue to wear it. 209/216/218 do not work at all. Face and body-fagetaboutit. MAC nope-any of the shades I mention have to be mixed. If I had to pick a shade in MAC I would have to say NW43. The C's on my skin are a hot mess....

Copperhead

Ok. So. I'm contemplating and contemplating on getting Matchmaster. I've worn my sample out and I really like it. However, I had been reading and watching video reviews on Revlon's Colorstay and decided to give it a try before getting the Matchmaster since Walgreens just had a 40% off sale that ended on Saturday. I went and grabbed a bottle of color 400 Caramel in Combo/Oily. I wore it today and liked it a lot! It was like $8! I also recently got some funky cystic type pimples and I don't know if it's the Matchmaster or if it's just hormones so in the meantime I'm going to ride with this Revlon and see how it fares. It looks good so now I have to see if it fares well as far as acne goes. I'm getting too old for this acne crap!

califabulous

Ok. So. I'm contemplating and contemplating on getting Matchmaster. I've worn my sample out and I really like it. However, I had been reading and watching video reviews on Revlon's Colorstay and decided to give it a try before getting the Matchmaster since Walgreens just had a 40% off sale that ended on Saturday. I went and grabbed a bottle of color 400 Caramel in Combo/Oily. I wore it today and liked it a lot! It was like $8! I also recently got some funky cystic type pimples and I don't know if it's the Matchmaster or if it's just hormones so in the meantime I'm going to ride with this Revlon and see how it fares. It looks good so now I have to see if it fares well as far as acne goes. I'm getting too old for this acne crap!

So revlon colorstay in 400 oily is a good match. it worked well. stayed where is was supposed to stay and all. my only issue is that I have to wash my face at least 3 times to get the stuff off my skin! AND it actually stains my face brush. that scares me and my pores. It didn't make me break out. And I've worn it quite a bit. I am going to stick with my NARS macao. It really is giving me everything I want. MM is transferring too much for me. Whether I set or not...I think I produce just a tad too much oil for this foundation. It is good. and the color match- i love that 7.5 matches me! But over all, Nars is covering all the bases for my needs right now. moving on to chanel and ysl lippies....more threads to come :)

*** forgot to mention that I do not always set the foundation. Setting the foundation does seem to control the transfer. I do not have a good setting powder for the MM and with Nars I do not have to set it.. :)

macgirl3121

Hmmm, I haven't picked up a sample yet. I have been watching these threads. I really don't want anything that transfers. Btw, Califabulous, I live in the east bay too. Just moved here last yr from Baltimore. Nice to virtually meet ya!

califabulous

Hmmm, I haven't picked up a sample yet. I have been watching these threads. I really don't want anything that transfers. Btw, Califabulous, I live in the east bay too. Just moved here last yr from Baltimore. Nice to virtually meet ya!

Why Hello macgirl3121! Nice to meet you as well. I also just moved here from DC last year! How fascinating! However, I was born and raised here so I'm home....miss the east coast... :)

TSIZ

Hey MACterialistic!

Sorry for the delayed response...

...I see a trend in comments posted that the foundation looks funky when initially applied, but looks better after it's "settled-in" (not exactly stated in this way, but something like it). I suppose that's the nature of the "self-adjusting" foundation...

Questions: What MAC-shade(s) are you? Did you tan a lot over the summer? Just curious - based on your pic/avatar, it looks like you'd be way lower than a 6.0(?)

Thanks so much for your time & input!

I did, still no luck. :/ major ghost face!

TSIZ

Hi califabulous,

Totally appreciate your updates - of course, I appreciate all members' input - but you've gone the LONG-haul w/updating...and your input has been extremely helpful! (though, daunting...)

I purchased 3.0 on the 29th of September b/c I thought it looked great on me - of course, that was right after full-face application by the MA under the Nordstrom bright-lighting. However, after reading the initial posts under this thread, I hesitated to use my new purchase...I here I am ~21/2 weeks later and still afraid to take it outta the box already and use it! In retrospect, I am thankful that the foundation continued to look fine right through to the end of the day as my purchase could have been a mistake, especially after reading all the posts about how the foundation "adjusted" w/time for many members - either for "better" or "worse".

Like you, I need justification to have more than one foundation, especially since I'm trying to simplify my life and am leaning toward au-naturel. (not counting lip color!) Unfortunately, my justification isn't based on anything functional, e.g. a color match (like you), ease of application, coverage, staying-power, etc. If I were a truly practical person, I would have stopped my search for the Holy Grail when I found MUFE HD foundation (+ HD powder). I bought MAC MM foundation b/c I wanted to have a MAC foundation with a different number-system.

I just re-read that last sentence (RE: justification)...Oh. My. doG. I have been in total-denial about being a MAC-addict. crap. who am I kidding?...
...Intervention! PLEASE!
mac_addict.gif
<---that should NOT be a smiley face!​
Quote:
well 2 weeks later here are my final thoughts. This is the only MAC foundation that has ever matched me (7.5) It evens my skin tone without making me look like I have an obvious tan. This is definitely medium coverage and a go to when I want the made-up look. Consider this from a person who only recently starting wearing liquid foundation. The wear for me is inconsistent. Lasts all day one day, oily by noon the next. Maybe I haven't found the right regimen (moisturizer, primer, etc) to prep for this foundation but I do not have to do that with my nars sheer matte. I know what I'm getting with every "no fuss" application and I don't have to set it. I must wear a primer with both MM and nars and that is ok with me. Without a primer MM transfers like crazy-I guess that's due to my heavy oil laden skin. I don't have that issue with sheer matte. i hadn't been setting this foundation and I find that I can set/touch up with my MUFE duo mat (214). I feel like these two colors (MM and MUFE) are completely different but it works. The scent of MM I can do without but it doesn't bother me. Takes a while to go away. I'm keeping MM mainly because of the color match but I do like that made up look without being to heavy. Nars for me is like a tinted moisturizer. I can throw it on and go! This justifies me having two foundations
peace2.gif
I need to take my time with MM to blend and be sure not to over apply. I didn't mean to compare nars to mac but nars is now my point of reference for every foundation b/c it works for me. Oh- I also noticed a few small red pimples on my cheek but I am not certain it was b/c of MM...although I didn't have them before I started testing it...

I just wanted to give a little update. I stopped liking the way that the 7.0 looked on me, though I thought it was a perfect match before. It began to look yellow/orangey on me. Not necessarily too light but too bright if that makes sense. So I decided to actually try and use the 7.5 which looked okay if I put very little on with fingers and then buffed it in. But as I tried both today and yesterday, it is so dark on me... darker than I originally thought. Maybe because Winter is coming but I don't know. I'm somewhat disappointed... as I no longer have my perfect match in "matchmaster".

It also gets kind of oily on me. Much more oily than my MUFE HD and I don't like that at all!

Copperhead

I just wanted to give a little update. I stopped liking the way that the 7.0 looked on me, though I thought it was a perfect match before. It began to look yellow/orangey on me. Not necessarily too light but too bright if that makes sense. So I decided to actually try and use the 7.5 which looked okay if I put very little on with fingers and then buffed it in. But as I tried both today and yesterday, it is so dark on me... darker than I originally thought. Maybe because Winter is coming but I don't know. I'm somewhat disappointed... as I no longer have my perfect match in "matchmaster".

It also gets kind of oily on me. Much more oily than my MUFE HD and I don't like that at all!

While I originally liked my sample of Matchmaster a lot, I've kind of moved on from it as of late and have been wearing the MUFE HD, Revlon Colorstay and just starting wearing Mehron's Celebre Pro HD. I don't know if I'm still as crazy about the MM as I originally was.

StyleBlack

:(

Ladies, I REALLY wanted to love Matchmaster! I don't "need" foundation, so I when I use it, the less I can use, the better. So, I figured, this would be "The One."

I tried 8.0, 8.5, 9.0, 8.5 + 9.0.... all failed. They are light, creamy, and a little goes a long way... buuuut there was something off about them on my skintone. The 9.0 made me look grey, somehow. It was so strange! All the rest, I look lighter and yellow at the same time. No likey.

I am a warm, chocolatey complexion, and I was dissappointed that the deeper shades still came up short. :-\

I found an old Studio Tech in NW45 I had from 10 lifetimes ago, and the color is PERFECTION! I just don't love the thick/creamy formula on my skin, especially for daily use. Womp.

Anyone else have this issue with Matchmaster?

StyleBlack

I totally feel you about it being too yellow/orangey! It was too "bright" on me as well. Very disappointing :-\

What do you normally use?

StyleBlack

I bought MAC MM foundation b/c I wanted to have a MAC foundation with a different number-system.

I just re-read that last sentence (RE: justification)...Oh. My. doG. I have been in total-denial about being a MAC-addict. crap. who am I kidding?...
...Intervention! PLEASE!
mac_addict.gif
<---that should NOT be a smiley face!​
lol I cracked up! There is light at the end of the tunnel. Be strong! :)

sss215

I still haven't brought a full size MM yet. I am really focusing on skin care right now and have been wearing blush and powder (select sheer or studio fix) only. problem with MAC releasing so many items is that, new perm items will have to wait until i am done hauling LE items. with MAC releasing LE items all the time, who knows when i will be able to focus on buying MM. oh well.

StyleBlack

I still haven't brought a full size MM yet. I am really focusing on skin care right now and have been wearing blush and powder (select sheer or studio fix) only. problem with MAC releasing so many items is that, new perm items will have to wait until i am done hauling LE items. with MAC releasing LE items all the time, who knows when i will be able to focus on buying MM. oh well.

What are you using for skincare, if you don't mind me asking?

I totally feel you about it being too yellow/orangey! It was too "bright" on me as well. Very disappointing :-\

What do you normally use?
Thank you! I'm definitely disappointed by it. I don't wear foundation every day but lately during the daytime if I do wear it, I'll put on I've been wearing Mufe Cadiz and set it with my msf in dark or just my msf alone for just a glowy "no makeup" look.

TSIZ

Dear StyleBlack,

I keep thinking there's a light at the end of the MAC-tunnel...I've quit/gone cold-turkey at least THREE times (seriously, click here)! HELP!

Copperhead

Thank you! I'm definitely disappointed by it. I don't wear foundation every day but lately during the daytime if I do wear it, I'll put on I've been wearing Mufe Cadiz and set it with my msf in dark or just my msf alone for just a glowy "no makeup" look.
For some reason I can't recall exactly how I learned about Mehron but I've worn it like maybe 3 times since I've gotten it about 2 weeks ago. I don't wear makeup (foundation) every day and sometimes I like to alternate between the Mehron and the Revlon Colorstay. I decided to try shade Dark 1 and it's a good match for me. So far I''ve applied it with both MAC's 190 brush and Sigma's F80 and have had good results with both. I may try a dampened sponge next to see what kind of results I get from that. Try google and youtube to find a few reviews on it. If I don't break out from it that will be a plus for me.

This lady gives a pretty good review on it.

http://www.makeupbymissyraabe.com/2010/11/mehron-celebre-professional-hd.html

Blogger vexinthecity gives her review.

http://www.vexinthecity.com/2010/06/mehron-celebre-hd-pro-foundation.html

And gossmakeupartist gives his review as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huCfomagLAo

Latest posts