NARS 'Pure Radiant' Tinted Moisturizer

Monsy

I was thinking we can continue talk about tinted moisturizers in a separate thread.

Katred let us know how do you like it. I will try the sample tomorrow.
I think alaska will be too dark for you
i will try to post swatches both alaska and finland on nc20 skin

Lisianthus

Canadian ladies, the tinted moisturizer is now also available at the Bay. I'm NC30 and was colour matched to Alaska. Many products with sunscreen cause me to break out in a puffy, itchy, red rash and I've had this on along my jawline for a few hours now and so far no reaction! I'm thrilled because this is much more lightweight than the other sun protection products I've been using!

Monsy

My arm is NC15 now. My face is a little darker and more yellow and i would say NC20 and finland blends in really good. ALaska is too dark, maybe it would be good for summer time

here is finland blended on my arm (still little too dark for nc15)

shellygrrl

Staff member
So, basically, those of us lighter than NC/NW15 will have to look elsewhere for a tinted moisturizer, if we (in general) wanted to try the NARS one. Sigh.

katred

Specktra Bestie
Okey dokey. I tried my sample of Alaska and it's definitely waaaaayyyy too dark for my skin. I'm normally a Siberia/ Mont Blanc girl (Mac NC/ NW 15). I'd say that Alaska would be a decent match to someone in the Mac 25-30 range (NC or NW). I found some of the moisturisers in store and swatched Finland on my hand, but it was a bit hard to tell whether it worked or not. It was definitely lighter than Alaska by quite a bit, but I thought it still ran a little dark on me. Maybe like a Mac shade 20 or Nars Deauville.

If I could find a colour that matched my skin, I'd definitely buy this. When I first put it on, I thought that the texture felt a little greasy, but it settles to a very nice satiny finish in no time. The coverage is a little more than I've seen from most tinted moisturisers, but it's still what I'd call a lighter coverage foundation. The lasting time is good- it hung around for several hours on me and continued to make my skin look even and healthy.

I really liked the healthy glow that it gave me. It didn't look overdone, but there was a definite radiance to my skin that I don't normally get with regular foundation. I used it on its own, but in the future, I'd definitely opt for some concealer under the eyes. Here's a pic of me wearing it:

I think that you can get a sense of the "glow" I was referring to. It's definitely very natural while providing a nice, even colour to the face.

It's definitely a nice product, they just need to get the colours figured out.

Monsy

katred i think you should try finland!

i will wear it today can't wait to see how it holds and looks after couple of hours. i love how smooth the texture is, nice scent -not to strong, blends in easily

MarieMary

I would write them an email saying that they need to make lighter shades
Winthrop44 said in the NARS Spring 2012 thread that she asked them, and they said Finland is the lightest shade they can achieve with the formulation. :(

Monsy

I don't believe them. Every company has less colors when the product is launched and then depending on the sales they add more. (Look at the smashbox and benefit)

MarieMary

Since it's probably helpful for those who don't want to read all of the Spring 2012 again to find the picture, here is the promotional picture with the shades. :)

(1) Finland - Lightest with a neutral balance of pink and yellow undertones
(2) Alaska - Light with a neutral balance of pink and yellow undertones
(3) St. Moritz - Medium with a neutral yellow undertone
(4) Annapurna - Medium with a neutral peachy undertone
(5) Cuba - Medium with a neutral balance of pink and yellow undertones
(6) Malaga - Medium dark with warm caramel undertones
(7) Seychelles - Medium dark with golden olive undertones
(8) Martinique - Medium dark with warm red undertones
(9) Polynesia - Dark with warm chocolate undertones

I don't believe them. Every company has less colors when the product is launched and then depending on the sales they add more. (Look at the smashbox and benefit)
I don't know much about what the other brands have to offer, so thank you for the information. ;) I'll send them an email too, then!

Winthrop44

I hope you're right. I'm not sure why they would have given me that particular answer if it wasn't true though. I've written to many companies over the years asking for lighter shades and that one was a new one on me. lol Usually I get a blurb about them already offering shades that accomodate the great majority of people. In any case it couldn't hurt for everyone who can't find a match to e-mail to ask for additional shades.

Looking forward to your take on Finland Kate!

MarieMary

I've sent them an email.
From what I've read (and what I know), there is definitely a market for a lighter shade.

Katred, it does give you a nice glow! :)

Shadowy Lady

I got a sample yesterday and was matched to Alaska which seems a decent match. I need to wear it out some more before I give a review but so far so good. I wear Nars Sheer Glow in Santa Fe, and MAS studio fix in NW25 (though that one is a bit dark on me)

Monsy

I know that Smashbox and Benefit would ask MUA/SA on their opininion what shades they should add , what other shades sell really good from other brands etc... So hopefully NARS would do the same if they realize they are losing sales for not having light enough shades. Losing sales= losing money no company likes that

DILLIGAF

I got a sample today of Seychelles - Medium dark with golden olive undertones. On my hand it was a great match the other two colors were either too red or too dark. I love the feel of this on my skin, It's lightweight like a moisturizer should be. Currently I use Laura Mercier for a Tinted Moisturizer and I think for a TM its very heavy feeling. More akin to an actual foundation. I'll update the thread when I actually use the product and give it a real world test.

Aquamarine1543

Here are Finland and Sheer glow Gobi.

My arm and neck are NC10.
And my face is NC10~15 (very little yellower than my arm), so I mix Sheer glow Siberai and Gobi as usual which is perfect match for my face.

As you can see, Finland is quite darker than Gobi. Maybe much yellower and pinker and it reminds me of Sheer glow "Deauville".
Since it's quite dark for me, I have to mix with Sheer glow Siberia. :(

The formula and light coverage are awesome.
But the shade? I'm really really disappointed and little angry because I feel I wasted money on it. :(

They "must" make some lighter shade than Finland. (Maybe light 0?)
I mean the lightest shade should be as quite similar as Sheer glow Gobi "AT LEAST" even if they want to achieve with the formulation!!!

MarieMary

Thank you for the swatches, AquaMarine1543. :)
I agree that they must make a lighter shade. As of right now, they've alienated a portion of their customers (those wearing Siberia, Mont-Blanc, and Gobi) for the Tinted Moisturizers. That's not a smart move. That certainly doesn't encourage loyalty towards the brand imho. I've always loved NARS for its inclusion of as many skintones as possible for their complexion products, so I can't understand how their lightest shade is just not suitable for a part of their customers.
You should write them an email! Maybe if a significant enough portion of customers complain about that, they'd try to make a lighter shade.
Can you return the product?

Monsy, that's very interesting, and it does make a lot of sense. Who else than those in close contact with customers everyday know better about what's expected and desired by those who bring money to the brand. :p I wish NARS would do that. I feel excluded from a brand that I've been fiercely loyal to since I started using make-up (about a decade ago), and it saddens me.

On the other hand, the formulation seems awesome, and it does look like a really nice product. :)

Monsy

I will buy it today. I like it a lot. Very creamy, covers more than other tinted moisturizers i've tried, blends nicely, gives nice smooth finish, not too glowy, but it takes little longer to dry, feels lightweight on skin, stays nicely during the day. I wore it with a little bit of nars loose powder on top.

Lisianthus

I'm so sad that upon a second trial of this moisturizer, my skin reacted badly to the sunscreen in it. My skin became prickly, itchy red, and slightly swollen. It's not the worst reaction I've had to a sunscreen product but my skin will take a while to recover. If you're allergic or sensitive to chemical sunscreens, I recommend trying this, at least twice, on a very small spot before applying all over the face. I'm so disappointed that this didn't work out because this had potential to be HG for me.

Latest posts