Cancer Awareness Through the Beauty of Color

Medgal07

I made a comment in passing about my intent, as a breast cancer survivor to wear pink themed makeup for the entire month of October. Speckrette, Kimibos suggested that we start an awareness thread and Kimibos would like to support the cause with pink manis. Prettypackages and Glammy Girl have also expressed interest and pledged their support through wearing pink cosmetics. Although both a bit shy and reluctant, I was subsequently inspired to initiate this thread. I am not sad about my plight, and I have used makeup to help combat the ravages of illness. That soon became a passion and absolute ton of fun. I love reading about, talking about, and most of all buying makeup/cosmetics/nail polish. When I happened upon this forum I found a safe haven for this wonderful makeup obsession. So, through this thread I hope we can honor those who lost the war against cancer, uplift & encourage those who are in the throws of battling cancer and celebrate those who have survived it.

Please share your experiences, but more over share and suggest your favorite pink products and total pink-themed makeup looks.
heart.gif
love.gif

CartoonChic

This thread is a great idea! I remember seeing the start of it in the Current Obsessions thread. I'm going to make sure to wear more of my pink lipstick and pink nail polish in October.

Copperhead

Well we can start by celebrating you Medgal07 since you're a survivor. I will wear more pink in October as well. As a matter of fact, it's not October yet but right now my sleep t-shirt is a "Fight for the Tatas" shirt. The letter "I" in the word Fight, is replaced with the pink awareness ribbon. I don't wear colored polish on my fingers but I do on my toes so for the entire month of Oct., I will wear pink polish.

Medgal07

This thread is a great idea! I remember seeing the start of it in the Current Obsessions thread. I'm going to make sure to wear more of my pink lipstick and pink nail polish in October.
Yay CartoonChic! On behalf of everyone touched by cancer, THANK YOU so much for your support.
Check this out; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sgjHlF84Yc&feature=related.

I've adopted the song by Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey, Fergie, Rihanna, et al, featured in the above youtube video as my inspiration.
It's a song about fighting and pushing beyond frustration and the desire to give up. It's my theme song.

Instead of looking in the mirror at a frightened and very sick person, I focused on a bright lippie or a smokey eye look & strategic highlighting.

Medgal07

Well we can start by celebrating you Medgal07 since you're a survivor. I will wear more pink in October as well. As a matter of fact, it's not October yet but right now my sleep t-shirt is a "Fight for the Tatas" shirt. The letter "I" in the word Fight, is replaced with the pink awareness ribbon. I don't wear colored polish on my fingers but I do on my toes so for the entire month of Oct., I will wear pink polish.
Copperhead, you totally brought me to tears. THANK YOU so much for your kindness and support!

glammy girl

Medgal07 you did a great thing by starting this thread, I believe in doing something you care about and feel strongly for and by showing initiative by bringing awareness to breast cancer, a disease that has affected so many women as well as the families of those women, is an amazing thing. In my religion, our belief is that if anyone passes away and the cause is cancer, you die as a matyr, fighting for God and your religion... Here's to all the women out there who share the same struggles as us... Stay strong :bouquet: Btw, do we start posting our pink looks or what pink cosmetics we wore starting from now or from October? :)

DILLIGAF

I'm due for a mani/pedi soon. Why not get a pink mani using a gel polish. It should theoretically last at least 2 weeks. When I get my nails done I will post a shot of them. Better yet I will use it as my avatar for the month of October.

Medgal07

Btw, do we start posting our pink looks or what pink cosmetics we wore starting from now or from October?
smiles.gif
Wow Glammy Girl, that's pretty amazing! In response to your question...any day is a good day to wear pink in support of this cause, however I was aiming for the month of October. That said, Laura Mercier has proclaimed September 7th, National Wear Teal Day to raise awareness about Ovarian Cancer. Teal & Pink look pretty good together, so I'm joining that cause too!.

Thanks for your support!

macgirl3121

I'm all in. A good friend of mine from high school just got diagnosed. She is only 41.
ssad.gif

I'm a nailtech. I'll round up a list of companies and colors that support the cause and post them here over the weekend. If you buy your own polish then proceeds from the product go towards a cure. If you get your mani/ pedis done at a salon, try to choose a salon that will be giving proceeds of their sales to Breast Cancer research in Oct.

Medgal07

macgirl3121...sending positive thoughts to and prayers for your friend. Unfortunately, cancer does not discriminate and is no respecter of age. Thanks for supporting the movement and for your great idea!!!
yahoo.gif

macgirl3121

macgirl3121...sending positive thoughts to and prayers for your friend. Unfortunately, cancer does not discriminate and is no respecter of age. Thanks for supporting the movement and for your great idea!!!
yahoo.gif
Oh, I know. It seems like I'm hearing of someone I know being diagnosed with some sort of cancer monthly. My dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer in Jan 2011. He's almost to the end of his chemo and it seems to be working.
smiles.gif

glammy girl

I'm all in. A good friend of mine from high school just got diagnosed. She is only 41. :( I'm a nailtech. I'll round up a list of companies and colors that support the cause and post them here over the weekend. If you buy your own polish then proceeds from the product go towards a cure. If you get your mani/ pedis done at a salon, try to choose a salon that will be giving proceeds of their sales to Breast Cancer research in Oct.  
Wow :) That's an awesome idea, will tell everyone I know to keep that in mind at their next mani...

Medgal07

As October approaches, we'll start to see product releases and promotions, the proceeds of which support the cause. If you are aware of any please share them. Here is a offering by Estée Lauder: http://www.esteelauder.com/products/mpp/index.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT7509 :eyelove:

presstoblend

Hi All! This is a great thread! Hope I'm exhibiting correct posting etiquette as I'm new to Specktra.net. Congratulations to all of the survivors who have posted. What an inspiration you truly are! My great-aunt was a 20 year breast cancer survivor and I stood in awe as I watched her as well as my grandmother who was her sister and had lymphoma, maintain their fierceness while going through treatments with such majestic grace. Anyway I saw that Smashbox is supposed to be doing a pink lipstick for October's Breast Cancer Awareness in their Be Legendary Line called Inspiration. I have looked high and low and can't find it!!! Any suggestions? My plan is to wear nothing but pink lipsticks for the whole month of October and blog about it. I love Shocking Pink in the Nyx Matte line, as well a Pink Pidgeon from the MAC Iris Apfel launch. Wish me luck because's that's a lot of pink!
cheerleader.gif

MAChostage

Just wanted to post to say that I am on board for a month of pink looks in October! I have already worn several this month. I am an active participant in and supporter of the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer effort. One of my coworkers was recently diagnosed, underwent chemo and a double mastectomy. She is not yet 30 years old. God bless all of the survivors and those who support them!

luvlydee

ill probably do a pink makeup look on my blog towards cancer awareness. I used to volunteer in the oncology unit at a childrens hospital and it really touched me. Unfortunately we lost one of the patients that was closest to me during my time there and it was so heartbreaking that I just had to stop volunteering there. I don't think I could go through another situation like that.

Medgal07

Thanks so much presstoblend, MAChostage, and luvlydee who have joined in supporting the cause. Even as or especially as you adorn yourselves in pink lipstick, eyeshadow and nail polish, please remember to do your breast self-exams and mammograms and encourage your family and friends to do the same. Early detection can mean the difference between life and death.

Luvlydee that was some amazing volunteer work that you did with pediatric oncology. What a selfless act! MACHostage thank you for the work that you're doing with the Making Strides Organization. Presstoblend...yes that's a lot of pink but you're gorgeous and I'm sure you'll rock it gracefully!

You're all so beautiful, and I hope you'll share tips and products and suggest eyeshadow combinations and even your photos!

Lastly, I can't visit this thread without crying. I'm reminded of my own bilateral mastectomy, but also that I survived a devastating disease and very dark time in my life. Now I salute all things PINK and all of you for your support.

Love to you all!
heart.gif

Medgal07

Hi All! This is a great thread! Hope I'm exhibiting correct posting etiquette as I'm new to Specktra.net. Congratulations to all of the survivors who have posted. What an inspiration you truly are! My great-aunt was a 20 year breast cancer survivor and I stood in awe as I watched her as well as my grandmother who was her sister and had lymphoma, maintain their fierceness while going through treatments with such majestic grace. Anyway I saw that Smashbox is supposed to be doing a pink lipstick for October's Breast Cancer Awareness in their Be Legendary Line called Inspiration. I have looked high and low and can't find it!!! Any suggestions? My plan is to wear nothing but pink lipsticks for the whole month of October and blog about it. I love Shocking Pink in the Nyx Matte line, as well a Pink Pidgeon from the MAC Iris Apfel launch. Wish me luck because's that's a lot of pink!
cheerleader.gif
Essie is also on the ban wagon with four new shades commemorating Breast Cancer Awareness month. All but one shade is sold out at Nordstrom online, but Rite Aid CVS, Walgreen's et al will be carrying them. The shades are; I Am Strong, Good Morning Hope, Check-up and We Are In It Together. The shades run from light to rosey pink. Check them out and support the cause everyone!

BTW presstoblend,
th_770016001157748873-final.gif

Latest posts