MAC haters

beautiijunkii

Hey everyone,

I've been a member to another beauty forum for about 4 1/2 years now and there's so many MAC haters on that site it's ridiculous! Some of them don't even own any MAC products! They're saying things like MAC is overrated, MAC sucks, it's a step above drugstore makeup. WTF!! What gives? I mean, not everybody likes MAC, there's makeup lines that I don't like but it seems like they go out of their way to bash MAC and I just don't get it.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I've a beef with the ones that say MAC is overpriced. Okay, so how much should they charge, then, since you (not you specifically, I mean those who believe MAC is overpriced) are such an expert? Also, if MAC is overpriced, what do they think of brands like NARS, Urban Decay, Guerlain, Chanel, Dior, Shiseido, MUFE, and so forth who charge a hell of a lot more for their products than MAC does? Also, "a step above drugstore makeup"? By that ridiculous logic, so is Inglot, since it's practically in the same category as MAC (mid-end). Also, some drugstore brands are creeping up to mid-end prices for some products (L'Oreal, I'm looking at you!). Anyhoo. Is every MAC product good? In my opinion, not necessarily. They've had some right duds over the years. But that's true for every brand! Sigh.

beautiijunkii

You make many great points. MAC is one of the more inexpensive brands, definitely on the lower end when it comes to high end makeup. Nars charges $28 for a blush! Almost double what MAC charges!! I have also noticed L'Oreal's prices creeping up there. I know MAC has some duds, and like you said, that's true for every brand.

CharlieKelly

I agree with you guys. I used to not need to wear foundation. Well, not makeup at all. Not because I did not want it but because I was younger and did not have as many imperfections. By imperfections I mean these little suckers that appear in your skin and make your skin look uneven, wrinkles, spots, etc.

Now I want to wear foundation I want to be able to wear something that is going to be good to my skin. So I picked Laura Mercier, after trying lots of brands. Like you guys said, it is about quality and yes. You get what you pay for. Also, I don't think any other brand has as many beautiful and wonderful shades/types of lipsticks out there. With MAC, the possibilities are endless :D

Dominique33

M.A.C is very good ! I don't understand why they hate M.A.C. To me M.A.C very often means inspirations, art, freedom of speech and high quality.
M.A.C is not overpriced, no way. Some collections are better than others, some are gorgeous, some are disappointing but on the whole M.A.C is great.
I remember the time when I didn't know the brand, I just knew the name... Now I am very glad to have a M.A.C store here, people there are nice. Overpriced ? 18 € for a regular lipstick, Chanel is 30 €, Guerlain up to 37 €. I love many makeup brands, M.A.C is one of my favourites along with Chanel and Nars.

Merula

I wonder if part of it is because of the following some people give to MAC and whatever image they seem to have in their head? And wanting to go against the grain within the makeup community? I always find it funny when people say "I hate MAC foundations" when they've only tried one, especially considering the wide range they have. It's as if by saying they dislike the brand they are more open minded in other brands or price-conscious ("Thats sooooo much money for makeup!") but I've also seen people diss MAC for being so "cheap" and go towards high-end brands instead.

I've also seen people completely hate and avoid the brand based on one bad experience with a SA at a counter/store.

beautiijunkii

Exactly!!! A lot of them have said something just like that! They've had a bad experience where they felt like they weren't being helped and just swore MAC off based on that experience.

MAC has great modern products that are totally reasonably priced so I don't really get the hate.

CharlieKelly

I was also thinking... there aren't any drugstore makeup brands, or high end for that matter, that would recycle your empty makeup for new one! So that's another perk.

Merula

Exactly!!! A lot of them have said something just like that! They've had a bad experience where they felt like they weren't being helped and just swore MAC off based on that experience.

I don't get it either. smfh...
th_dunno.gif
IKR? It's like avoiding an entire car manufacturer because one guy at the dealership was being a total ass that day. "Ugh, Nissans are stupid!"

beautiijunkii

Haha!! That's exactly right. Nissans are stupid because the salesmen was an idiot... yeah... that's great logic.

IKR? It's like avoiding an entire car manufacturer because one guy at the dealership was being a total ass that day. "Ugh, Nissans are stupid!"

beautiijunkii

You're right! I didn't even think about that. I love Back2MAC. It's kinda weird though because now I think twice before I throw any of my non-MAC makeup containers away! I have to remind myself that they don't have a program like that.

I was also thinking... there aren't any drugstore makeup brands, or high end for that matter, that would recycle your empty makeup for new one! So that's another perk.

geeko

Not to mention there's no other brand that has a Regular line up of lipsticks which 100% of the sale goes to MAC AIDS fund. So that's corporate social responsibility as well!

Most other brands would only do a partial donation... but not MAC'S viva glam programme.

Every MAC a holic should own at least ONE Viva Glam lipstick. Coz it's the heart and soul of MAC

AniBEE

I'm not a MAC hater be being a follow since 2005 of the brand I've notice their permanent line has shifted in colour concentration. Bad MAC bad!!! But I'm still a lipstick junkie of yours. I'm not a brand worshiper by nature either. The product either work or they don't and their are plenty of fish in the sea that should get your attention.
amuse.gif

I will say hate MAC foundations but only because the shade range don't cover the ultra fair range or have that many WHITE correctors in their line. Therer are people paler the NC15 NW15 out there. >_< I'd kill to not have to order all my foundation online. lol

chelsealeier

I just only started buying MAC this year, so I'm fairly new to it. Only reason it took me so long to get into it was I thought the MUAs at the counter would be rude/intimidating since I don't wear a lot of makeup. Luckily, the girls are my counter are amazing. I wouldn't call MAC overpriced at all, in fact I find myself not wanting to spend money on drugstore makeup anymore because I'd rather pay a few dollars more and go to MAC.

Babylard

Maybe people are just mad that they always miss out on the LE stuff or don't know how to really use make up. MAC has so many varieties, textures, uses, formulas, etc. and people just have no idea how to utilize it effectively. They only think that there is one type of liquid foundation and one type of powder.

I know I was a real hater when I missed out on Candy Yum Yum last time lol. I was just really, really, really mad. xD It also pisses me off that the recent extra dimension eyeshadows are just as expensive as the first release, but much smaller.

mochibunnyy

I am by no way a MAC "hater" but I find that I am often treated the worst and ignored the most at MAC counters. It's probably because I am a teenager who doesn't appear to wear alot of makeup, but I've gotten way better treatment at Sephora and even higher end brands like Chanel & Dior. That being said, I have always been put off from visiting MAC and hesitant to try new MAC products because I hate going there in person. Therefore, I only resort to ordering from them online - But when I do, I find that their products, esp their lippies, are quite wonderful :) Now I have a growing MAC collection and I actually enjoy buying their products entirely online (I make my decisions from swatches seen on makeup forums and blogs) .. I have never bought a single thing in store!

Perhaps these "haters" received the same rude treatment I did from MAC counters and chose to react to it in a negative way..

EOTD-Fanny

I think some people hate MAC (or say they hate MAC)
because they think the brand is too mainstream.
Like this: "I don´t like MAC, Illamasqua is way more interesting/unique/blah blah..."
If you know what I mean...

Note: I don´t have anything against Illamasqua.
It´s a wonderful brand too.
But MAC is my favorite! ^^

EOTD-Fanny

I am by no way a MAC "hater" but I find that I am often treated the worst and ignored the most at MAC counters. It's probably because I am a teenager who doesn't appear to wear alot of makeup, but I've gotten way better treatment at Sephora and even higher end brands like Chanel & Dior. That being said, I have always been put off from visiting MAC and hesitant to try new MAC products because I hate going there in person. Therefore, I only resort to ordering from them online - But when I do, I find that their products, esp their lippies, are quite wonderful :) Now I have a growing MAC collection and I actually enjoy buying their products entirely online (I make my decisions from swatches seen on makeup forums and blogs) .. I have never bought a single thing in store!

Perhaps these "haters" received the same rude treatment I did from MAC counters and chose to react to it in a negative way..
I think it depends where you buy MAC.
All MUA´s are not rude or unfriendly.
They are very nice to me where I usually buy MAC (Åhléns City in Stockholm, Sweden).
I´m 24 y/o but look much younger, most people think I´m 14-18 if they guess my age.
Some even think I´m 12! (I can go in to museums for free, so it´s not so bad, haha...)
Anyway, they are always very nice to me and I usually go there without make up
(because I have to get up early to go on a train for Stockholm,
and I´m way too tired to put on make up 6 or 7 a.m.).

Latest posts