Theme Makeup with a Purpose

sagehen

Since my No-Buy pretty much starts today (I say pretty much because I dropped and broke one of my Black Radiance Baked Blushes and I think I'm going to replace it in the next few days) I figure I should try and stay really active with the theme challenges and consistent about posting looks. This was my look for last night. It's really more of a fall look, but I guess it could be considered winter. I am trying to use all of the new eye shadows I've gotten, so my looks might veer a little off theme for the sake of breaking in new products.

Face

MUFE Ultra HD foundation I'm still on the fence about this foundation...
Ooh, please tell us why you are on the fence with the foundation. I am also trying to decide to go there or not - coming to the end of my deluxe samples and still don't know quite how I feel.

Shars

Hello ladies and happy new year!! :party: I haven't posted here in a really long time, so here's my NYE look:

Face:

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm
CT Magic Foundation 3
MAC Light boost
Chanel Lumiere d'ete
MAC Corol - dark part
TF Softcore - highlighter
Chanel Poudre universelle libre 20
Guerlain Flocons Enchantes
MAC Fix+

Eyes:

UDPP
Too Faces Semi-sweet Chocolate bar Nougat+Mousse - blending; Coconut creme - brow highlight
Too Faced Chocolate bar Cherry cordial+Amaretoo - crease
Chanel Signe particulier - taupe on the lid, burgundy - outer v
Chanel Rouge noir liner
MAC Vanilla pigment - inner corner and brow arch
Chanel Le volume Ultra noir - top lashes
Chanel Le volume Rouge noir - bottom lashes

Lips:

MAC P+P
Christian Louboutin Eton moi :heart:

Nails:

Chanel Rouge noir

View attachment 50946

Happy New Year to you Maggie! And to all the other lovely ladies! Eton Moi on you is amazing!! I still have NOT picked up any of the CL lipsticks loool!

aradhana

hello!
happy new year ladies! how was everybody's holidays?

what's the theme for this month?

i bought a LOT of makeup last month, so i guess i best be wearing it...

mkoparanova

Happy New Year to you Maggie! And to all the other lovely ladies! Eton Moi on you is amazing!! I still have NOT picked up any of the CL lipsticks loool!

Thank you Shars! I wore it again last night - I took it off after 5 hours, 3 glasses of water and 2 cocktails (with straws) - it looked perfect, no fading :heart: So I definitely think they're worth checking out, once one gets over the price :D

aradhana

I don't think we have a theme yet.

And please tell us what you bought!!

this is probably not a lot in some people's books....

nars
narsissist dual-intensity eyeshadow palette
blush - amour
blush - lovely
blush - tribulation
wet / dry eyeshadow brush
lipstick - niagara
audacious lipstick - deborah

mac
brow gel - deep dark brunette - repurchase
technakohl - earthline - repurchase

stila
brow gel - black
aqua glow watercolour blush - water poppy
stay all day liquid lipstick - venezia

marc jacobs lipstick - boy gorgeous

bite lip lab limited release lipstick - 012

tokyomilk dark femme fatale collection - scent wardrobe

oh btw i love everything.

Anneri

Hello ladies! It's been ages since I've been here!!!! Hope you all had a great Christmas and a fab start of 2016. We went to Shanghai for the first time on Jan 1st, and I returned on Sunday. Sadly I destroyed my iPhone while I was there, so I couldn't even get on IG, and don't get me started with internet access in China. But anyways, we managed to find a nice apartment and we'll move in around 6 weeks (eek). I hope that the internet situation will be easier once we have highspeed internet with a good vpn client at our home.
I didn't really see much of Shanghai this time - the days were quite filled with house hunting and things like opening bank accounts and such, but of course I went around to scout out the nailpolish and makeup situation (which is quite bleak, tbh, because anything is extremely expensive and the drugstores there are a far cry from our drugstores here!). But I'll have a Sephora in the same building where our new apartment is. ;) But all high-end brands (and even L'Oreal is considered a high end brand there) are about 25% more expensive than here.
I'll have to stock up on everything while I'm still here!

Makeup-wise I've had some really boring weeks. I always did really quick, basic looks, especially last week while I was in Shanghai, and nevertheless I wore more makeup than nearly everybody there. When I saw girls wearing makeup they always followed the last Asian trend closely - glowy skin, glossy, lightly coloured lips and only eyeliner/mascara on the eyes. Nearly nobody wore nailpolish - I felt like an alien from outer space!

I've missed you all! Where is Meddy these days? Even when I was lurking I haven't seen her!

Prettypackages

Great Haul!
this is probably not a lot in some people's books....

nars
narsissist dual-intensity eyeshadow palette
blush - amour
blush - lovely
blush - tribulation
wet / dry eyeshadow brush
lipstick - niagara
audacious lipstick - deborah

mac
brow gel - deep dark brunette - repurchase
technakohl - earthline - repurchase

stila
brow gel - black
aqua glow watercolour blush - water poppy
stay all day liquid lipstick - venezia

marc jacobs lipstick - boy gorgeous

bite lip lab limited release lipstick - 012

tokyomilk dark femme fatale collection - scent wardrobe

oh btw i love everything.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Ooh, please tell us why you are on the fence with the foundation. I am also trying to decide to go there or not - coming to the end of my deluxe samples and still don't know quite how I feel.

I'm sorry to just reply to this. I've been off the forum for a couple of weeks. I was thinking about returning it because I thought it leaned a tad too red and dark, but I think I was just over thinking it. But it spurred me to repurchase the YSL Touche Eclat foundation which has recently been reformulated. So now I am testing that out with various primers including the YSL illuminating one.

Prettypackages

Hello ladies! It's been ages since I've been here!!!! Hope you all had a great Christmas and a fab start of 2016. We went to Shanghai for the first time on Jan 1st, and I returned on Sunday. Sadly I destroyed my iPhone while I was there, so I couldn't even get on IG, and don't get me started with internet access in China. But anyways, we managed to find a nice apartment and we'll move in around 6 weeks (eek). I hope that the internet situation will be easier once we have highspeed internet with a good vpn client at our home.
I didn't really see much of Shanghai this time - the days were quite filled with house hunting and things like opening bank accounts and such, but of course I went around to scout out the nailpolish and makeup situation (which is quite bleak, tbh, because anything is extremely expensive and the drugstores there are a far cry from our drugstores here!). But I'll have a Sephora in the same building where our new apartment is. ;) But all high-end brands (and even L'Oreal is considered a high end brand there) are about 25% more expensive than here.
I'll have to stock up on everything while I'm still here!

Makeup-wise I've had some really boring weeks. I always did really quick, basic looks, especially last week while I was in Shanghai, and nevertheless I wore more makeup than nearly everybody there. When I saw girls wearing makeup they always followed the last Asian trend closely - glowy skin, glossy, lightly coloured lips and only eyeliner/mascara on the eyes. Nearly nobody wore nailpolish - I felt like an alien from outer space!

I've missed you all! Where is Meddy these days? Even when I was lurking I haven't seen her!
How exciting it must be to move to Shanghai. Good luck with the upcoming move.

Have you tried the Asian trend? I haven't yet.

sagehen

I'm sorry to just reply to this. I've been off the forum for a couple of weeks. I was thinking about returning it because I thought it leaned a tad too red and dark, but I think I was just over thinking it. But it spurred me to repurchase the YSL Touche Eclat foundation which has recently been reformulated. So now I am testing that out with various primers including the YSL illuminating one.
Thank you for the response anyway. I was curious if it was a performance issue. The one I have is the best match for me and I like it but I just think I like the mat velvet better. I liked the previous D formulation a little better, so I think my judgement is being clouded somewhat by that.

Shars

Hey ladies. Just dropping in to say "Hi" and hope you are all well and enjoying playing in your makeup. I'm trying to be good this year and buy wayyyy less. The only thing I allowed myself for this first quarter were the two new Dior highlighters and I must have that Chanel rainbow stripe blush lol. Other than that, I'm trying to ignore.

I've been having pretty boring makeup days for the most part as I'm trying to be on time for work *shame* but hopefully I get a rhythm going again and can post more interesting looks.

Prettypackages

Hey ladies. Just dropping in to say "Hi" and hope you are all well and enjoying playing in your makeup. I'm trying to be good this year and buy wayyyy less. The only thing I allowed myself for this first quarter were the two new Dior highlighters and I must have that Chanel rainbow stripe blush lol. Other than that, I'm trying to ignore.

I've been having pretty boring makeup days for the most part as I'm trying to be on time for work *shame* but hopefully I get a rhythm going again and can post more interesting looks.

Good choices. How did you like the Dior high lighters?

Prettypackages

I just googled Cindy Lou, it's not. But taht's a good thing because it is beautiful. It's icier/cooler, but the pink brings a slight warmness to it. I'll swatch it tomorrow if the sun is out.
I don't have them yet but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm hoping the pink is similar-ish to my beloved TheBalm Cindy Lou-Manizer!

Anneri

How exciting it must be to move to Shanghai. Good luck with the upcoming move.

Have you tried the Asian trend? I haven't yet.

Thank you Pretty! I haven't, tbh, it doesn't feel quite right - I feel so naked without eye makeup! Lisa has done a lovely tutorial though - http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/26657/korean-beauty-trends-inspired-makeup-tutorial/#.Vp1VSfFKyQH

Maybe I'll try to incorporate one or two small things into my daily makeup though - I kinda did the glowy skin thing today because it's insanely cold right now and I didn't want to suck every bit of moisture out of my skin by covering it with matte foundation and powder, and then I did some glossy lip (Huggable Lipglass - so lovely!).

I had a pretty stressful last days and went shopping for a small pick-me-up (YSL nail polish in Peace Green from the Spring LE) and encountered the Chanel blush by chance and of course had to get it, lol! Today I saw Faerie Whispers and picked up the Iridescent Powder. So much for the low-buy. But I think that'll come soon enough when I'm in China.

I've done boring looks as well - I unearthed my Naked 1 last week and was surprised that I ever liked it so much - some of the shades are soooooo glittery! Hated it. Really happy about all the innovations that happened the last years, things like the ED eyeshadows, gelee textures etc.

Shars

Thank you Pretty! I haven't, tbh, it doesn't feel quite right - I feel so naked without eye makeup! Lisa has done a lovely tutorial though - http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/26657/korean-beauty-trends-inspired-makeup-tutorial/#.Vp1VSfFKyQH

Maybe I'll try to incorporate one or two small things into my daily makeup though - I kinda did the glowy skin thing today because it's insanely cold right now and I didn't want to suck every bit of moisture out of my skin by covering it with matte foundation and powder, and then I did some glossy lip (Huggable Lipglass - so lovely!).

I had a pretty stressful last days and went shopping for a small pick-me-up (YSL nail polish in Peace Green from the Spring LE) and encountered the Chanel blush by chance and of course had to get it, lol! Today I saw Faerie Whispers and picked up the Iridescent Powder. So much for the low-buy. But I think that'll come soon enough when I'm in China.

I've done boring looks as well - I unearthed my Naked 1 last week and was surprised that I ever liked it so much - some of the shades are soooooo glittery! Hated it. Really happy about all the innovations that happened the last years, things like the ED eyeshadows, gelee textures etc.

Sorry you've had a stressful few days but yay for retail shopping. I feel the exact same way about Naked 1!!! Soo glittery! I still used it from time to time but there's no way I could use just it for a complete look! Luckily, my sister loved it more than I did and asked if she could have it so I feel less bad about not reaching for it as much lol. I'm excited to see what other innovations are going to be released this year but I've committed to buying less, especially impulse buying and splurge shopping haha.

sagehen

Sorry you've had a stressful few days but yay for retail shopping. I feel the exact same way about Naked 1!!! Soo glittery! I still used it from time to time but there's no way I could use just it for a complete look! Luckily, my sister loved it more than I did and asked if she could have it so I feel less bad about not reaching for it as much lol. I'm excited to see what other innovations are going to be released this year but I've committed to buying less, especially impulse buying and splurge shopping haha.
@ the bolded - me too!

Anneri

What I found what really helped me with my low-buy last year was planning ahead. I would look at all the new collections coming out and thought about getting just the stand-outs from those. That helped a lot.

It also helped not getting 'small' things like drugstore nailpolish, or other inexpensive items when I went shopping for other things and would just 'have a look'. Basically, I planned a lot of my spending. The only exception was skincare, and I'm kind of ok with that - although I have skincare favourites that I buy again and again, if I see a stellar review from a site/blog I trust, I'll likely go for it. I do a lot of research beforehand, though, to minimise any risks like my skin reacting to it.

Even with nailpolish, my not so secret vice, I got better - because I basically got bored. I've got a lot, and brands do come out rarely with something really unique.

Latest posts