WOC: The Hair Thread

DILLIGAF

I, like you Shontay, have relaxed hair. I take care of it but I don't make a big fuss about it. My hair does not require a lot of maintenance. I was never a "regular"at hairdressers. Like my mom, I never had standing appointments. I have one that I had been going to on and off for about 20 years but I haven't been to her in at least 3 years. Even in the 20 years that I'd go to her I'd only go about once or twice a year (if that). I've just always been good at taking care of my own hair. I guess I'm just fortunate enough that it would take a whole lot of neglect in order for my hair to not be healthy, or at least to look like it wasn't. I don't have many holy grail products. I once used to go to this male hairdresser that got me hooked on Nexxus Therappe shampoo and Humectress conditoner. I still like those. Design Essentials has a sheen spray that I really like. I use ORS Moisturizing Lotion for more moisture. I color my own hair and just recently took to it with a pair of scissors. I just wear a simple bob so it wasn't hard to do. LOL. Right now I'm using a shampoo and conditioner by Motions but I'm ready to try something else or I may just go back to Nexxus.

ETA: And I absolutely LOVE beauty supply stores. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I'm in a beauty supply store. I just recently went to buy new brushes and came across this deep conditioner pack by ORS with banana and bamboo extract in it that I bought and will try upon my next hair wash.

I saw you said you need edge control. I have one by ORS Edge Control that works pretty well. I don't use it often but when I do, I don't apply very much. There are a few others on the market as well.
I loved Nexxus Humectress conditioner when I was relaxed. My hair loved that stuff! I also used a ton of Design Essentials products I know the sheen spray you are talking about, can't remember the name of it though.

Copperhead

I loved Nexxus Humectress conditioner when I was relaxed. My hair loved that stuff! I also used a ton of Design Essentials products I know the sheen spray you are talking about, can't remember the name of it though.
I think it's called Diamonds oil sheen spray. My long time hair dresser used it on me and I told her I need a good oil sheen spray like that and she sold Design Essentials so I bought a can. I'm just about out of it now but I will buy another can. I also have one by Motions that I kind of like. I don't like it as much as the DE Diamonds though.

Copperhead

Oh and I forgot to say that Keracare also has some nice products that I've used on my relaxed hair. Their setting lotion and foam wrap setting lotion is good if you do roller sets and their Humecto Creme Conditioner is really good.

Sally's One N Only Argan oil is pretty good too.

leahrenae

I put the oil on my scalp, not so much my hair. Maybe that will help?

I guess I was envisioning you clipping in bone straight hair with curly hair. Do you straighten your own hair first or are you wearing curly styles. I'd love to see pics if you happen to have any. Even if they're of someone else doing the same thing. Feel free to PM.
I'd put it on my scalp, but I guess with it running down, it'll get on my hair.. IDK I'll tryusing it again

lol... noooo I plan on straightening my hair first and blending. but I also want to make clipins with curly weave.

here are a couple vids showing how to install and blend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm_3zXTfNaQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyohck1DtVc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdVZUotCRq0

leahrenae

Before I went natural I had long, healthy, relaxed hair. I found that washing every 1 or 2 weeks depending on how hot it got out here in the MIA worked great for me. In my opinion roller sets were my saving grace. I had body, volume and shiny hair. Which I find is hard to maintain when your hair is any other color but black. I was of the opinion when I was relaxed that shampoo is just that shampoo. I would wash my hair with anything and then spend a little more time and money on my conditioners. Most of my deep conditioners were from the Dominican salons. They should be fairly easy to get at most urban beauty supply stores. Silicon Mix is one, I still use that one as a natural occasionally. For the most part I had someone who helped me take great care of my relaxed hair in NYC. Once I moved out to Miami I found a salon (Dominican) that I loved. The photo included is an old one. My hair relaxed was actually longer than this before I cut it.
I can't even remember what my hair looked like relaxed, lol!
Yours was very pretty and healthy looking!
did you do a BC or transition to natural?

DILLIGAF

I can't even remember what my hair looked like relaxed, lol!
Yours was very pretty and healthy looking!
did you do a BC or transition to natural?
I transitioned to natural. I've always had a lot of hair on my head the idea of having a TWA just didn't sit well with me at the time. I transitioned for a year and six months I believe.

sagehen

I agree about splurging on the conditioners and the stuff that will stay on your hair longer, and I still love Nexxus Humectress and Kerafix as a natural. Products are just product, regardless of the way one wears their hair. It's all about what works and keeps it healthy.

DILLIGAF

Today is a wash day because I treated my hair like crap all week. Happens I know. I was going through my stash because I'm seriously working toward using up most, if not all of the things that I've purchased and try to get it down to some core products, HG if you will. I realized that I've done a great job since last year and I've used most of the things I've bought just to try or they have found new homes with other people who will love them more than I ever could. As I was in the shower I ran out of my favorite clarifying shampoo and I had to reach for something else. I really do not like the Design Essentials Naturals Natural Curls Cleanser. It's a sulfate free shampoo.Now I've tried other sulfate free shampoos, this one doesn't make my hair feel clean in the least. I shampooed twice and still feel like my hair wasn't clean.I'm wondering if anyone else has used this product and what their thoughts are on it. Someone at work is going to get this.

Richelle83

Awesome to see this!! Natural since 12/08

HG's

Poo-
Kinky Curly Come Clean
Chagrin Valley Ayurvedic Herb poo bar

Conditioner-
Tresemme Naturals
Elucence Moisture Balance

Leave in-
Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion

Deep Conditoner-
Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Aubrey Organics Jojoba & Aloe

Protein-
Curl Junkie Repair Me!

Sealent-
Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar
Nubian Heritage Mango Butter

Lola(my hair) does not like nettle, aloe(left in), gel of most kinds, and proteins(left in).
This is still accurate amazingly except I forgot to add the no go of coconut oil and Oyin Whipped Pudding works great with CJ Smoothing Lotion for my twists. Also found SDK Herbal Riche oil with Tea Tree Oil has worked nicely on certain spots of my scalp that are sensitive.

DILLIGAF

This is still accurate amazingly except I forgot to add the no go of coconut oil and Oyin Whipped Pudding works great with CJ Smoothing Lotion for my twists. Also found SDK Herbal Riche oil with Tea Tree Oil has worked nicely on certain spots of my scalp that are sensitive.
I just used my first Curl Junkie product today, Curl Rehab, and I have to say I love it!!!

shontay07108

ORS was the first edge control I ever tried. It had amazing hold, but after the second day of using it, and sparingly, there was so much flaking and buildup. I had to ditch it unfortunately. I dragged myself to the drugstore and after going almost crazy I settle on a bunch of Creme of Nature products. I got the shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, leave in and argan oil. Man, it was not cheap so I hope it works. Although, it wouldn't be the first time I've wasted money on trying something new. I was looking for Keracare and their edge control, but I guess I have to go to a beauty supply for that. I got the Elasta QP Glaze for the edges.

Copperhead

I dragged myself to the drugstore and after going almost crazy I settle on a bunch of Creme of Nature products. I got the shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, leave in and argan oil. Man, it was not cheap so I hope it works. Although, it wouldn't be the first time I've wasted money on trying something new. I was looking for Keracare and their edge control, but I guess I have to go to a beauty supply for that. I got the Elasta QP Glaze for the edges.
Did you get that Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive conditioner packet? What about the Creme of Nature Edge Control? Hopefully that Elasta QP works for you. If not, hopefully you'll find the Keracare edge control and give that a try. Doesn't Design Essentials have an Edge Control product too?

DILLIGAF

Did you get that Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive conditioner packet? What about the Creme of Nature Edge Control? Hopefully that Elasta QP works for you. If not, hopefully you'll find the Keracare edge control and give that a try.
Maybe Hicks Edges? It's a bit pricey but I've heard great things from relaxed and natural alike.

DILLIGAF

I LOVE her products, a little expensive but they all work very well with my hair. Aveyou is probably the best place to get them.
Ricky's NYC has started to carry the line. Its the only place in South Florida that I know of that I can get it on the ground.

shontay07108

Did you get that Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive conditioner packet? What about the Creme of Nature Edge Control? Hopefully that Elasta QP works for you. If not, hopefully you'll find the Keracare edge control and give that a try. Doesn't Design Essentials have an Edge Control product too?
I don't recall seeing a packet or the edge control. I saw their relaxer and that was it outside of the stuff I picked up. I had to realize they had shampoos in the same packaging, but they did different things. I almost got the one for fine brittle hair. I preferred the dry hair and flaky scalp one b/c my hair isn't fine or brittle.
Maybe Hicks Edges? It's a bit pricey but I've heard great things from relaxed and natural alike.
I went through a ton of written and video reviews of Hicks last night. I came across some negative ones, but I will give it a try I think. I have to find it first. I do want to use Keracare first, though.

DILLIGAF

I went through a ton of written and video reviews of Hicks last night. I came across some negative ones, but I will give it a try I think. I have to find it first. I do want to use Keracare first, though.
I know its available in most urban beauty supply stores. According to a quick internet search its available at select Walmart stores. The one that I have was a gift from my sister and she bought it in Atlanta. I don't use it often so the one container I've has lasted a while.

Latest posts