WOC: The Hair Thread

DILLIGAF

Happens to me all the time, MissTT lol. My macadamia oil masque is a watery mess!
I've heard other people in this very thread complain about the same thing. My shower is large enough that the jar is no where near the water. Others have suggested transferring it to a squeeze bottle. There is a great line of them from Target. They come in two packs and unlike traditional travel packaging they are very pliable. Easy to squeeze. I've never understood travel containers that aren't squeezable.

Btw shy_makeup_girl how is that macadamia oil masque?

MsPurple417

Although I've been natural all my life, I'm only 2 years out of a 10 year head full of dreads. I picked out my dreads rather than going for a big chop. I honestly forgot how to "do" my hair and had to learn all over again. My hair is much healthier than it was when I was a teen(aka the era of dyeing and frying), I got my childhood hair back ya'll!

Right now my my hair is resting in some senegalese twists. I plan to keep it like that until spring.

My products
Moisture/upkeep
Barlean's Coconut Oil & Jamaican black castor oil (I mix them apply it to my scalp)

Shampoo: Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner OR shea Moisture Coconut & hibiscus
Leave in: Cantu Shea Butter Mango leave in
Deep Conditioning: Shea Moisture Anti-breakage mask OR Silicon mix

Flat ironing(no more than 3 times a year)
Shampoo w/ Chi Infra treatment
Spray with Chi 44 iron guard

DILLIGAF

Another Sale Alert!!!!

Creme Of Nature Perfect 7 Leave-In Treatment Spray is Buy One Get One 50% off at Walgreens. I've not used this particular product myself but I've heard some good things about it. As a matter of fact most of the Creme of Nature line is on BOGO this week.

sagehen

It's their Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Detangler.
Ooh, have missed this one - I need to catch up! I hate that their website still is not working, because there's no way to know what they sell anymore, unless you hear it word of mouth. I'm on it! Where did you get this detangler? Walgreens or Target?

MAChostage

Sagehen, check the Target site. That's where I made my most recent Shea Moisture haul, during the sale. Target tends to carry more of the line than Walgreen's. The Anti-Breakage masque is worth looking into as well, if that's a concern of yours.

sagehen

will do, thanks - and I do like the anti breakage masque for a pre-s hampoo treatment. Have you tried the black soap purification masque? that detangles like a dream too.

MAChostage

^^Really, the black soap masque? I will be sure to tell my daughter about that, I've been telling her she could probably benefit from the black soap hair line overall. Thanks!

sagehen

^^Really, the black soap masque? I will be sure to tell my daughter about that, I've been telling her she could probably benefit from the black soap hair line overall. Thanks!
Oh yes. I apply to scalp to get rid of flakes and right down the hair shaft. It detangles and makes the whole shampoo process go much faster. Detangling is my Achilles heel.

MissTT

Okay what should I get? I need a moisturizer and something for seborrheic dermatitis. I'll take other recommendations as well. I will NOT miss the sale this time around!

sss215

Okay what should I get? I need a moisturizer and something for seborrheic dermatitis. I'll take other recommendations as well. I will NOT miss the sale this time around!
Moisturizers: Deja's Hair Milk in the coconut cream scent. Luscious Hair Butter in the same scent as well.

MissTT

Stupid me forgot the 40% off was only for 2 hours so around 10 last night I went to shop and was so flipping disappointed in myself. Thanks for the recs sss215.

sss215

Stupid me forgot the 40% off was only for 2 hours so around 10 last night I went to shop and was so flipping disappointed in myself. Thanks for the recs sss215.
YW! I skipped all the sales entirely. There were so many deals, I had to buy other stuff! lol. I still have some moisturizers left but will have to re up before the year is out. Hopefully their will be another 20%

MissTT

I ordered your recs plus the serum and a spray moisturizer. I changed my hair appt from a relaxer to a deep condition so we'll see what path I take in 2014.

sss215

I ordered your recs plus the serum and a spray moisturizer. I changed my hair appt from a relaxer to a deep condition so we'll see what path I take in 2014.
Good Luck! Can't wait to hear what you think! I went natural earlier this year because I wanted color. I still relax my bangs every 3-6 months to keep my flat ironed style fresh. I focus on that area the most as far as deep conditioning, castor oiling and I pin curl them to minimize the use of heat.

MissTT

I don't think I'm going natural yet as much as I am starting to stretch relaxers. To make it easy I've decided to go to the salon every week or two to get my hair washed. Yeah, I'm that lazy. My cousin owns the salon so even with a tip it's not expensive. About the same as getting a relaxer. I've decided my hair and sanity are worth it. I just don't have an interest in hair other than having it on my head. Never have.

CartoonChic

It's been a while since I've been in this thread.
wavey.gif

Ok, so I bought some Curlformers from Sally's during Black Friday with a 30% off code. I plan to go out for New Year's, so I decided to pull out the Curlformers this week and try them for the first time. This is when I hate YouTube. All those videos make it look so dang easy. It took me 2 hours just to do half of my head. My hair kept getting caught everytime I tried to pull the hook through the curlformer. I had to keep doing it over multiple times. On top of that, I got the wrong size. I purchased the long & wide pack. My hair is longer than the curlformer after pulling it through. I need the extra long & wide pack. I had to tuck in the ends of my hair so it wasn't just hanging out.

I was about to throw in the towel and just stop with only half of it done. My neck and back were in agreement. But I decided to ask my friend to watch me do it to tell me what I was doing wrong. He saw the problem. When I put my hair in the hook, I would slide the hook toward my scalp then try to pull my hair through the curlformer. This would cause some of my hair to slide out of the hook and bunch up when I attempted to pull it through. So I tried just pulling my hair through the curlformer without sliding the hook toward my scalp. It worked perfectly. I mistakenly thought I had to move the hook towards my scalp to make sure the curlformer was attached securely. All I really have to do is slide the curlformer itself up to my scalp while I'm sliding the hook down. I was able to do the rest of my head in under an hour.

There was no way I was going to sleep with the curlformers in my hair, so I took them out later that night.
ohboy.gif
My hair looked promising after removing the curlformers. The curl was great and my hair felt soft. I then tried to separate the curls. Fizz city. My hair poofed up in less than 10 minutes. The initial results make me want to try again. I realize my error and I also didn't use a setting lotion, so I hope to report better results next time.

But I'm not done...

The next day after my Curlformer fail, I decided to try a bantu knot out. My hair was already stretched from the curlformers. I figure it could be another possible New Year's Eve hairstyle to try. Again, YouTube betrayed me. I followed the steps. Slept with the knots in my hair overnight thinking I would have defined curls and awesome definition. I was so excited when I got up the next morning. Started to unravel the knots and my hair instantly poofed up. I wanted big, gorgeous, dramatic hair. Instead, my hair looked like a used lopsided q-tip. Here are my references:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asIr9rU5z34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AURbiW5qBsk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2vC9MSPfPE

So now my hair is just in basic twists like it usually is everyday. I think setting lotion may be the culprit again. I may try again except I'll bantu knot my twists. But I wanted looser, more spiral looking curls. I think if I twist my hair first, my hair will have a tighter curl. Sigh. Can anyone help me? I've always been challenged styling my own hair. That's why I usually wear it thrown back into a boring pony tail. I really want to wear my hair out for New Year's. My goal for 2014 is to learn about 4-5 easy hairstyles and do them exceptionally well.

I may try another hairstyle tonight for Christmas, but I'm feeling a little discouraged.

Latest posts