WOC: The Hair Thread

califabulous

I've been so focused on Black Friday makeup deals, that I didn't even think to look into hair products.
speaking of black friday...where's the thread for that??? did you find anything good?
2cents.gif

califabulous

I had to jump in. I'm over 2 years post BC but I transitioned for a year and half. I have a TON of hair on my head and if I had to categorize my hair it would be curly/coily or 3c/4a. I like to try products but I wouldn't call myself a product junkie. yet. No matter what I try I seem to keep coming back to a basic routine with core products. I wouldn't call them HG but they are what my hair currently likes.
WASH: Giovanni's 50/50 Shampoo its a hydrating clarifying shampoo.
CONDITIONER: Right now Aussie Moist. Just because its there. I have a bunch of conditioners in the shower right now that I'm trying to work my way through
I wash approximately once a week and keep my hair in protective styling during the week. On the weekends I wear it out and then on Sunday it gets washed and put away. Once out the shower I use:
LEAVE IN: Giovanni Direct Leave In
SEALER: Jojoba oil
STYLER: Bee Mine Curly Butter
MOISTURIZER: Bee Mine Balanced Moisturizer, Oyin Juices & Berries

I try to condition once a month Using AS I AM Hydration Elation

I think I'm past APL at this time but I've not straighted my hair since I've cut it. I don't want to or feel a need to.

I also happen to like products from Karen's Body Beautiful, Darcy's Botanicals, Afroveda and Qhemet Biologics. I've tried Miss Jessie's and for my hair it's way too heavy. I do however like their Curly Meringue.
I for one will be using the Black Friday sales to stock up on things that I love.
I think i will look into the Bee mine curly butter and As I AM products... I need to tweak my product list.

PrettyGirlDoc

Hey everyone, If you use Miss Jessie's their buy one get one free sale is going on now until the fifteenth of December at Target.

CartoonChic

I use shea butter in my custom oil mixtures for hair and skin. I buy it from Coastal Scents and they're having a 50% off Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. This is their best sale of the year and I always stock up. I also stock up on African black soap.

sss215

I use shea butter in my custom oil mixtures for hair and skin. I buy it from Coastal Scents and they're having a 50% off Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. This is their best sale of the year and I always stock up. I also stock up on African black soap.
essentialwholesale.com has alot of ingredients for custom mixing as well. i have found their prices to be a little better than Coastal Scents.

CartoonChic

essentialwholesale.com has alot of ingredients for custom mixing as well. i have found their prices to be a little better than Coastal Scents.
I need to check out that website. They have a wide selection and I like that Essential Wholesale has a lot of certifications. I only buy from Coastal Scents at this time of year because of the sale. I can get natural unrefined shea butter for only about $4/pound and I like that a portion of the cost goes towards the Project Ghana cooperative.

sss215

My sister just informed me that AS I AM is available at Sally's Beauty Supply stores.
It is and I like some of their products. I ordered a sample pack fromt them over the summer and I got to try everything they offer. I was impressed.

DILLIGAF

It is and I like some of their products. I ordered a sample pack fromt them over the summer and I got to try everything they offer. I was impressed.
I only have their deep conditioner.I love the stuff. I got it at the World Natural Hair Show in Atlanta and since I was worried I wouldn't be able to get any more I've been very cheap with it. My sister is very lucky to live in Atlanta she is able to get most of the things I want by walking into a store. The shipping costs kill me! I'm just glad another product I love I can get on the ground.

sss215

I only have their deep conditioner.I love the stuff. I got it at the World Natural Hair Show in Atlanta and since I was worried I wouldn't be able to get any more I've been very cheap with it. My sister is very lucky to live in Atlanta she is able to get most of the things I want by walking into a store. The shipping costs kill me! I'm just glad another product I love I can get on the ground. 
Yeah, shipping is crazy!!! I was so happy when BeeMine started to offer a flat rate because before that, shipping was a grip!!!!

CartoonChic

I don't know if I did this correctly.
I missed this pic before! Tell me, how do you color your hair? It's so pretty. I've only colored my hair once in my life and it was when my hair was relaxed. Even then, I didn't get full on color. I only got blonde streaks. I would choose different hair color when I used to get braids, but that was years ago. I can't sit in that chair for hours on end.

Do you color your hair naturally. I've seen some stuff about henna, but haven't really looked into it. I would need to go to a professional. There's no way I'm going to try to do it myself.

CartoonChic

HOLIDAY HAIR! What do you all have planned to do to your hair for the holidays?

I'm thinking about flat ironing my hair straight. I did it once before for New Year's 2011. That was the first and only time I ever flat ironed my hair myself. Prior to that I would occasionally get my hair straightened with a pressing comb. I am hair challenged when it comes to styling my own hair, so I was very happy with how the flat ironing turned out. I've learned how to do other hairstyles since then and have been wearing curly fros when I want something special from my usual twists. I still can't do a proper twist out to save my life. They just don't come out right. I've attempted a roller set a few times and steamed rollers. I get mixed results. I'm still tweaking the technique, but the results come out better each time I try.

I haven't felt the urge to wear my hair straight for two years now. I'm thinking about flat ironing it again for New Year's 2013, and maybe another roller set/steam roller attempt for Christmas.

PrettyGirlDoc

I missed this pic before! Tell me, how do you color your hair? It's so pretty. I've only colored my hair once in my life and it was when my hair was relaxed. Even then, I didn't get full on color. I only got blonde streaks. I would choose different hair color when I used to get braids, but that was years ago. I can't sit in that chair for hours on end. Do you color your hair naturally. I've seen some stuff about henna, but haven't really looked into it. I would need to go to a professional. There's no way I'm going to try to do it myself.
Hey Lady, I go to a salon that does natural hair styles. The color was a collaborative effort between myself and my stylist. To achieve this color she had to lift my own dusty brown color hair and then dye it .

sss215

HOLIDAY HAIR! What do you all have planned to do to your hair for the holidays? I'm thinking about flat ironing my hair straight. I did it once before for New Year's 2011. That was the first and only time I ever flat ironed my hair myself. Prior to that I would occasionally get my hair straightened with a pressing comb. I am hair challenged when it comes to styling my own hair, so I was very happy with how the flat ironing turned out. I've learned how to do other hairstyles since then and have been wearing curly fros when I want something special from my usual twists. I still can't do a proper twist out to save my life. They just don't come out right. I've attempted a roller set a few times and steamed rollers. I get mixed results. I'm still tweaking the technique, but the results come out better each time I try. I haven't felt the urge to wear my hair straight for two years now. I'm thinking about flat ironing it again for New Year's 2013, and maybe another roller set/steam roller attempt for Christmas.
I like a lot of the French braid/large cornrow styles I'm seeing around the web. I was just thinking about trying a roller set. I never blow dry my hair, and I think I could roll my hair in the morning, let it dry all day, take it out and then wrap it. I am always looking for heat free options

CartoonChic

I go to a salon that does natural hair styles. The color was a collaborative effort between myself and my stylist. To achieve this color she had to lift my own dusty brown color hair and then dye it .
I need to find a salon if I get the nerve to go through with it. Your birthday hair style is very pretty.

shontay07108

Well, I'm so far from natural it's not even funny. I haven't been natural since I was about 10 years old. I have naturally thick, wavy hair. Even relaxed it's thick and the edges are especially wavy. I wear a half wig and I've been doing so for about 5 years now. I love it. I love the look of it and the fact that I can put it on in five minutes and throw it off when I get home. It's good quality and only $20. I wash my hair 1-2 times a week with Pantene shampoo for relaxed hair and I also use the conditioner. I use Infusium 23 leave in conditioner. To tame my edges I use castor oil and it works like a dream. I've tried other gels that are obvious and they flake and make my hair hard. Just gross. I use SuperGro on my scalp and Dudley's hair spray for added shine. I don't use much else. I've never cared to put too much product in my hair. Oh and I relax my own hair. I just got tired of going to the salon. I had a wonderful lady who did it for me for about 12 years, but I just learned to do it myself. I don't really care to have anyone's hands on my hair anymore.

CartoonChic

I was just thinking about trying a roller set. I never blow dry my hair, and I think I could roll my hair in the morning, let it dry all day, take it out and then wrap it. I am always looking for heat free options
I haven't owned a hair dryer for many, many years. When I flat ironed my hair, I stretched it out in twists and let it air dry overnight. Then I went through the flat ironing process the next day. It was comical since it was my first time. There was a ton of mishaps until I got the hang of it and it took forever, but I was very happy with the finished style.

I expect to have a fluffy texture when I roller set since I don't blow dry my hair. I don't stretch it before I roller set. I just jump right in with the rollers after I wash it. I wonder if I'll get better results if I tried stretching it first. I've watched several roller set videos on YouTube, but this is the main one I refer to.

I'd be happy if I could get my roller sets to even come out like this.

CartoonChic

Oh and I relax my own hair. I just got tired of going to the salon. I had a wonderful lady who did it for me for about 12 years, but I just learned to do it myself. I don't really care to have anyone's hands on my hair anymore.
I don't have the patience for a salon. I feel like too much time is wasted. I just want to go in, get my hair done and leave. There's always a bunch of wait time. I've had to learn how to do my hair myself just to avoid the experience. But there are some things I wont attempt to do myself if I want to keep the hair on my head.

Latest posts