1. #1
    Junior Member nikkinikki92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    6

    Weird smelling mac lipglass?

    Okay I have TWO mac lipglasses that smell just....off.
    Wee Coquette and pink clash
    theyre the only two i have that smell this way
    they dont smell completely horrible but its very far from the yummy vanilla batter i'm used to. D:

    I kinda smells like plastic. Maybe medicine? lol
    It's weird. Cant remember what collection Wee Coquette came out in but I know pink clash is quite old.

    I

  2. #2
    Senior Member erine1881's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    19,184
    Means they've gone bad. Sometimes it occurs after a few years, sometimes the batch starts off that way. If you don't mind the smell and taste (it'll taste how it smells) you can still use em.
    black is such a happy colour

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mac-Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    La Ville-Lumière
    Posts
    11,330
    Time to toss them in the bin.
    PRO King of Blending




  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac-Guy View Post
    Time to toss them in the bin.
    or Bac2Mac.

    I saw on you-tube that you can run hot water over them to completely empty the container. A great tip if you are returning them for freebies.

    I am so lucky that none of my glosses have ever turned bad on me
    Tried and True HG products: M.A.C Face and Body, MUFE Camo Cream #20, Ben Nye Banana Powder, MAC 208 brush, Wet and Wild Mega Eyes Cream Eyeliner, MAC 168 brush, MAC fix+, NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Primer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mac-Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    La Ville-Lumière
    Posts
    11,330
    Quote Originally Posted by sss215 View Post
    or Bac2Mac.

    I saw on you-tube that you can run hot water over them to completely empty the container. A great tip if you are returning them for freebies.

    I am so lucky that none of my glosses have ever turned bad on me
    B2M is the best option, but no need to empty or clean them. Technically, you can even B2M them when they are BNIB.
    PRO King of Blending




  6. #6
    I just realized that my Lady Gaga 2 lipstick smells like crayonish now. :c
    I'm not getting rid of it as i like the colour too much'

  7. #7
    I remembered one of the lipglass i bought frm the n collection had a plastic smell even though it was brand new... n i bought it when it was launched. I liked the color but guess the smell turned mi off that i hardly used it and ended up b to mac. Otherwise i haf no probs withmac glossvin.general. i guess its jus that color problem

  8. #8
    Senior Member martiangurll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mile High City
    Posts
    7,218
    You can add a little peppermint oil to make them taste better if you really like the color and can't stand the plastic taste.
    Click link if you're a Star Wars fan:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBM7i84BThE&sns=fb&safety_mode=true&persis t_safety_mode=1&safe=active



  9. #9
    Senior Member Sojourner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    611
    ....
    .....

  10. #10
    Senior Member TwistedFaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    512
    Yes! I bought 2 of the 3N lipglass and it happened to both of them, the smell is just awful. It's also happened with my True Babe lipglass which I'm sad about because I love that one.

  11. #11
    Ya i think the lipglass i bought was 3n. and that was the only lipgloss from MAC which i bought which had a weird smell when i first bought it. so my guess is that it is jus the color/batch problem???

  12. #12
    Yeah my 3n had the same. I actually took it bk to exchange & the new one smelled as well. So I just put a tiny drop of vanilla flavoring in it to mask the scent.

  13. #13
    Senior Member mrsdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Taylor View Post
    I just realized that my Lady Gaga 2 lipstick smells like crayonish now. :c I'm not getting rid of it as i like the colour too much'
    I have the same problem w/my gaga 2 lip glass. It's smelled like that from the day I got it, I love the color so much I refuse to toss it. I also have a backup of this lipgloss and purchased it at a different time so I hope my first one was just a bad batch. I have 2 MAC lip Lacquers which I've had for YEARS (8 years maybe) and since they have been discontinued I rarely use. But those still have the vanilla smell. Maybe it has something to do with the color? Idk it's nude. Anyone else had any problems with lipglasses in similar shades and/or formulas?

  14. #14
    Senior Member erine1881's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    19,184
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdee View Post
    I have the same problem w/my gaga 2 lip glass. It's smelled like that from the day I got it, I love the color so much I refuse to toss it. I also have a backup of this lipgloss and purchased it at a different time so I hope my first one was just a bad batch. I have 2 MAC lip Lacquers which I've had for YEARS (8 years maybe) and since they have been discontinued I rarely use. But those still have the vanilla smell. Maybe it has something to do with the color? Idk it's nude. Anyone else had any problems with lipglasses in similar shades and/or formulas?
    Gaga 2 gloss was one that had a spoiled smell/taste right from the beginning.It's unfortunate. That's the single reason i buy it. Makes me leery of buying the lipglass formula ever again really. The last two lipglasses i bought were razzledazzler, which was rancid from the get-go and talk softly to me (2012 holiday), which was perfectly fine.
    black is such a happy colour

  15. #15
    It seems though that my limited edition lippys are the ones that go bad quicker...smell like wet dirt, lol!!!

  16. #16
    Member kittenish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    42
    Does anyone else ever notice that a lot of the neutral glosses tend to smell funky after a while. Shades like Lust, VGv, mad cap. Those specific shades tend to smell gross within months. I'm also finding it in VGnikki gloss.

  17. #17
    Senior Member erine1881's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    19,184
    It's weird cuz i just went thru all my glosses sniffing em to weed out the stinky ones. I've got one from 2004 that's still good, but my brand new razzledazzler was bad from the get go. My VG V is still good too.
    black is such a happy colour

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post
    Gaga 2 gloss was one that had a spoiled smell/taste right from the beginning.It's unfortunate. That's the single reason i buy it. Makes me leery of buying the lipglass formula ever again really. The last two lipglasses i bought were razzledazzler, which was rancid from the get-go and talk softly to me (2012 holiday), which was perfectly fine.
    my viva glam gaga 2 gloss still smells amazing.. maybe something went wrong on certain batches of certain pigments. it can't be exclusive to nude anyway cuz my pink clash stinks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •