NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powders

elegant-one

My question is how similar would this powder be to the MAC prep and prime loose powder?
I have the MAC P&P which is nice, but I'm not sure that it has the "photoshop" quality that this NARS one seems to have. But, I will compare them when I get mine. Also, I'm not sure the mac one has the antioxidant properties?

luvlydee

So did u try it w ur brush yet??
ok so i tried it with a flat top brush since its a bit more sturdy to pick up enough product and i found myself swirling in that compact a couple of times and even then not a lot of product got on the brush. i pushed it onto my bare skin since y'know i want to see how it looks without foundation and im not sure yet honestly. if i look up close int he mirror i do see that luminosity glow which is beautiful but its not so apparent when I step back. but then again i was looking in my room so idk how it would look outside (i called out from my internship today
ohboy.gif
) i dont think i have enough wrinkles to judge how it works on that but my pores are still visible but i really want to see it in the sunlight.

the loose powder willl make it easier to pick up more product on the brush but i just hate loose powders lol i want to try it over foundation now

hwdsprincess

ok so i tried it with a flat top brush since its a bit more sturdy to pick up enough product and i found myself swirling in that compact a couple of times and even then not a lot of product got on the brush.  i pushed it onto my bare skin since y'know i want to see how it looks without foundation and im not sure yet honestly.  if i look up close int he mirror i do see that luminosity glow which is beautiful but its not so apparent when I step back. but then again i was looking in my room so idk how it would look outside (i called out from my internship today :eek:hboy: )  i dont think i have enough wrinkles to judge how it works on that but my pores are still visible but i really want to see it in the sunlight.   the loose powder willl make it easier to pick up more product on the brush but i just hate loose powders lol i want to try it over foundation now
You should try taking pics of yourself w the flash see if u see a difference, I think one of the main reasons I want to get it is for the matte effect as well as I read about the pores thing cuz I as well don't have wrinkles yet.. Let me know if it works for you as well

katred

Specktra Bestie
I have the MAC P&P which is nice, but I'm not sure that it has the "photoshop" quality that this NARS one seems to have. But, I will compare them when I get mine. Also, I'm not sure the mac one has the antioxidant properties?
I don't think it does. It's been in the Mac line-up a while and it was launched before combining skin care and cosmetic powders really became a thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mac update it, though. I very much liked P&P when I used it, but, as you say, the effect wasn't as marked as the Nars one seems to be.

aradhana

I don't think it does. It's been in the Mac line-up a while and it was launched before combining skin care and cosmetic powders really became a thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mac update it, though. I very much liked P&P when I used it, but, as you say, the effect wasn't as marked as the Nars one seems to be.
i've forgotten - did you buy the nars one already? i have the p+p one also, so i'm debating whether to wait till i use up my p+p...which will probably be never....sigh, so obviously i'm going to get the nars one, but then i guess the question really, is when?

luvlydee

You should try taking pics of yourself w the flash see if u see a difference, I think one of the main reasons I want to get it is for the matte effect as well as I read about the pores thing cuz I as well don't have wrinkles yet.. Let me know if it works for you as well
I will. Tomorrow will be sunny and im leaving the house so i should be able to see whats going on with this finally. Still not sure how much product im supposed to put on my face. Gotta experiment more with this.

elkaknits

I will my dear! I'm waiting to see how cafemakeup compares the loose with the pressed. This one seems to get such great reviews.
I did not get the impression she was doing a comparison... I did see both pictured in her review of the pressed but no mention of doing another. I am still sitting on my pressed because I have the MM BP in use at the moment {plus bu due to your love of it tyvm}

I am debating not getting any new l/s or powder or anything unless it is a need... I mean I have a zillionty and one red l/s so I can skip some right? I would like to concentrate on skin care more this year. Unfortunately the standard drink blobs of water, exercise and get 8 hrs of sleep plus eat tons of veg is not as easy as slapping on layers of foundation. I do get my veg tho... hello green monsters :D

katred

Specktra Bestie
I did not get the impression she was doing a comparison... I did see both pictured in her review of the pressed but no mention of doing another. I am still sitting on my pressed because I have the MM BP in use at the moment {plus bu due to your love of it tyvm}

I am debating not getting any new l/s or powder or anything unless it is a need... I mean I have a zillionty and one red l/s so I can skip some right? I would like to concentrate on skin care more this year. Unfortunately the standard drink blobs of water, exercise and get 8 hrs of sleep plus eat tons of veg is not as easy as slapping on layers of foundation. I do get my veg tho... hello green monsters :D
huh2.gif
It's possible to skip red l/s? I've never heard that before...

elkaknits

LOL I know it is like I am totally stalking for Ronnie Red right now but that is it... well maybe DLG and MM but that is IT.... except maybe the.... I missed on Fire Sign which peeves me to no end since I am one ya know and now I am skeered to not buy a red. I have a list of Nars reds too... Dragon Girl next with maybe Funny Face for my pink. I like plums and mauve-y pinks my husband likes reds. Well so do I but not to the extent where I ignore the others and he is wear red whenever I ask if he has a preference. He likes pink cheeks {no peach, coral etc} and red lips n tips ALWAYS.

MarieMary

In the comments Amy said she's testing the loose powder at the moment. I imagine she'll post a review soon. And in all likelihood, she would draw comparisons between the pressed and loose version. It would be surprising if she didn't.

elkaknits

In the comments
Thank you~~ I tend to ignore the comments section of all blogs unless a post specifically asks for input from readers. To my mind a review is just that and having other people chime in with oh you make it look/sound good or yuck is too much. I can go to MUA or here for general feelings about something, which is important- not disparaging general opinions, but not the same as a formal review. To me it would be like reading a Roger Ebert film review and then paying a lot of attention to how people felt about his review.

MarieMary

Thank you~~ I tend to ignore the comments section of all blogs unless a post specifically asks for input from readers. To my mind a review is just that and having other people chime in with oh you make it look/sound good or yuck is too much. I can go to MUA or here for general feelings about something, which is important- not disparaging general opinions, but not the same as a formal review. To me it would be like reading a Roger Ebert film review and then paying a lot of attention to how people felt about his review.
You're welcome. I definitely get it, I'm not really interestig in reading "thanks for the review" a dozen of times. But in order to dig up information, I've developed the habit of reading a lot, even the tiniest bit, including comments and captions, etc... ;)

miss o

B]
I am Miss O.I am rather upset that nobody responds to my post.Maybe I am doing the posts incorrectly.I want to ask if anybody can advice me on Matt lipstick.I use Chanel.I require a sharp line outlining my lipsticks.If u can advice please do so.I am feeling left out.Billy no mates or what.x

elkaknits

I am Miss O.I am rather upset that nobody responds to my post.Maybe I am doing the posts incorrectly.I want to ask if anybody can advice me on Matt lipstick.I use Chanel.I require a sharp line outlining my lipsticks.If u can advice please do so.I am feeling left out.Billy no mates or what.x
Hi Miss O
th_770016001157748873-final.gif
I did not see your asking about lipsticks before.... I went to your profile and looked at your posts to find it in the welcome area which I do not read and also you put up a picture of yourself and your beautiful eyes. Anyway in response to your Q I believe the Rouge Allure Velvet is the only matte lipstick put out by Chanel and it comes in about 10 colors {nordstrom site maybe more in UK or via Chanel.com} Your daytime eye look is smokey imo so needs a more neutral lip as you show in your picture but perhaps something a wee bit more pink instead of nude? I am prone to wearing pinks and reds so of course I would suggest one of those

Now if you are asking for brand recommendations to expand your choices then NARS has some really beautiful matte lipsticks in pencil form~ they are the chubby pencils not a lip liner pencil. I actually think they last longer, on my lip at least, than Chanel and the pencil form allows you to really create a sharp line. Another option would be the lip stains that come in what looks like gloss containers? I do not use them but the few times I have tried them {any brand actually of them} they tend to dry into a matte color. And then I am a old school MAC user but many do not like their matte formulas. As a young adult getting into makeup during early '80s I totally do not mind them but others complain.

Another idea is to use an actual lip liner pencil since those also tend to lack sheen and have good staying power. I only own 2 Chanel lip pencils and they are very creamy so again you might have to move away from Chanel for that matte look. OR you could use a regular lipstick, blot, re-apply your lipstick and then lightly dust with a translucent powder. Wow it must be hard to be a Chanel fan and a matte lippie fan! At least for me I like the shimmer and glimmer of their holiday collections.

I am sure others who are not stuck in the 80's will have better suggestions for you :D

katred

Specktra Bestie
Hi Miss O! Sorry that no one got back to you regarding the matte lipsticks. Sometimes posts do get kind of lost- don't take it personally, as I'm sure it's happened to all of us.

In terms of really nice matte formulas, I'd recommend Nars (they call them semi-mattes, but they're pretty close to matte as far as I'm concerned), who have a good range of colours and a formula that normally doesn't feel too dry. I also really like the Yves St. Laurent mattes, although since they were only released last year, there are very few colours available. Hopefully they continue to add to the line.

Welcome to Specktra!

elegant-one

Welcome to Specktra!
Kate, I have been having issues with this site for awhile. Now, it will not reload or go to the last page in the post automatically, it runs extremely slow. And, I keep getting a "warning script is running" alert. I use the newest Firefox browser. This is the only site I am having issues with.If you could forward that along I would appreciate it!
Thanks!

Rads

Uh..ohhh...sorrrry! Guess everyone missed the post!!!!!

They aren't real matttttttte mattes, but I love the Burberry Velvet lipsticks. Lipliners - I like Chanel and Shiseido - they don't dry out my lips that much. And yes, like elkaknits mentioned earlier, the NARS matte pencils are really good too..though they are more like chubby sticks and not pointy precise liners.

Anneri

Kate, I have been having issues with this site for awhile. Now, it will not reload or go to the last page in the post automatically, it runs extremely slow. And, I kept get a "warning script is running" alert. I use the newest Firefox browser. This is the only site I am having issues with.If you could forward that along I would appreciate it!
Thanks!
For me, the Unread Posts button hasn't worked in ages. I tried on Mozilla and IE. Only on my smartphone it works!

Latest posts