Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

  1. #1
    Senior Member pemily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    adelaide, australia
    Posts
    1,044

    MAC BRUSHES (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

    Hi All,

    a few ladies mentioned a discussion board for brushes, I think it is a great idea so here I am

    I just purchased a 191 any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Veteran Moderator Naynadine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    9,732
    Ooh, a brush thread!

    I have the 191 as well. While I love how it feels on the skin, I'm not sure what to use it for, since I don't really use foundation. I do like it better than the 190.

    I just purchased a BU of the 287, because I love it for concealer. I bought it on eBay, since the german brush prices are crazy. I know it can be scary purchasing MAC brushes from eBay, but so far I've only had good experiences.
    If you'd like to support our site with a subscription please go to this page:

    Paid Subscriptions - Specktra

  3. #3
    Senior Member pemily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    adelaide, australia
    Posts
    1,044
    hi detective Naynadine!!

    I haven't tried the 287

    I picked up a 239,237 and 224 for my kit (god knows why they would discontinue the 224 seriously!!)

    I picked the 191 and a duo fibre pointy eye brush for myself to try out...

  4. #4
    Veteran Moderator Naynadine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    9,732
    Quote Originally Posted by pemily View Post
    hi detective Naynadine!!

    I haven't tried the 287

    I picked up a 239,237 and 224 for my kit (god knows why they would discontinue the 224 seriously!!)

    I picked the 191 and a duo fibre pointy eye brush for myself to try out...
    They're discontinuing the 224?? Is that only in Australia or worldwide? OMG, I love that brush, going to order a backup if that is true.
    If you'd like to support our site with a subscription please go to this page:

    Paid Subscriptions - Specktra

  5. #5
    Senior Member GlamQueen21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,401
    I have placed an order on the 239 brush since I have not purchased a MAC brush in ages! I will have to place an order on the 224 Brush tomorrow!
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/FabDiva20
    Blog: http://www.fabdiva20.com
    Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/FabDiva20

    Going on an alluring adventure with MAC Alluring Aquatic Collection while I can be playful with MAC Playful Collection!

  6. #6
    I think they're just discontinuing the 224 in Australia.

    This is a pretty cool thread. I recently bought a MAC 192 from a CCO and it's the best!!!! I was previously using a Real Techniques tapered flat brush or an ELF concealer brush for my concealer, and then I discovered what a real concealer brush is when I found the 192. I use studiofinish for my concealer, and the 192 really blends the product well on my skin. I wish I could find another one.

  7. #7
    Senior Member pemily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    adelaide, australia
    Posts
    1,044
    Hmmm it appears just aus.... I don't know why they would do that!!! I love the 224!!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Audrey C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,052
    I love brushes. I've purchased quite a few over the past year or so, but it's the one area in my collection that I'm still actively adding to. I'm most excited to get the 235 when it repromotes this spring. This is my current collection:


    116 - Blush Brush
    129SH - Powder/Blush Brush
    130 - Short Duo Fibre Brush
    136 - Large Powder/Blush Brush
    167SH - Face Blender Brush (LE)
    168 - Large Angled Contour Brush
    179 - Angled Split Fibre Buffer Brush (LE)
    184 - Duo Fibre Fan Brush
    187 - Duo Fibre Brush
    188 - Small Duo Fibre Brush
    189 - Face Brush
    190SE - Foundation
    205 - Mascara Fan Brush
    208 - Angled Brow
    211 - Pointed Liner Brush
    217 - Blending Brush
    219 - Pencil Brush
    224 - Tapered Blending Brush
    234 - Split Fibre Eye Blending Brush (LE)
    239 - Eye Shading Brush
    249 - Large Shader Brush
    266 - Small Angle Brush
    287 - Duo Fibre Eye Shadow Brush (LE)
    311 - Lip Liner Brush
    NC20-25 (Bobbi Brown Warm Sand, MUFE HD 120) Current Loves: Bronzer: Guerlain Terracotta 00, Natural BlondesBlush: Pink Cult, Deep Throat, Angelic Radiance, Crazy Terracotta
    Highlight: Definitely Defined, Shell Pearl, Watt's Up

    Lips: Huggables, Cremesheens, Patentpolish Guerlain Meteorites!

  9. #9
    Senior Member LAKESHA1908's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    EAST COAST BABY!
    Posts
    249
    The 191 I use for cream foundations i.e Studio Tech....
    Philly Chic Wit a Lil Attitude

  10. #10
    Senior Member lyseD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,724
    Thanks for opening this thread Pemily.

    I have the 134 brush and heard it is good for bronzer. Any suggestions on how use it for that?

    Thank you.

  11. #11
    Senior Member MissTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    No MAC Zone
    Posts
    3,215
    I picked up the 189 and it works pretty well with pressed powders, however, I just realized I don't really use pressed powders. LOL. (I got a sample of the new MUFE powder foundation and tried it with that.) Any other recommendations for this brush? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get rid of it.
    I get by with a little help from my FRIENDS...

  12. #12
    Senior Member pemily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    adelaide, australia
    Posts
    1,044
    I'm on a bit of a brush kick lately...... I personally have the 235 from when it released with Semi Precious and personally I hardly use it.... It's big. I would check it out first, IF you have any recs of what you plan on using it for please do share I would love to know!
    Quote Originally Posted by lyseD View Post
    Thanks for opening this thread Pemily.

    I have the 134 brush and heard it is good for bronzer. Any suggestions on how use it for that?

    Thank you.

  13. #13
    Senior Member erine1881's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    19,184
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTT View Post
    I picked up the 189 and it works pretty well with pressed powders, however, I just realized I don't really use pressed powders. LOL. (I got a sample of the new MUFE powder foundation and tried it with that.) Any other recommendations for this brush? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get rid of it.
    Try using it for face highlighters. It's stiff enough to apply it precisely, yet flexible enough to blend it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by pemily View Post
    I'm on a bit of a brush kick lately...... I personally have the 235 from when it released with Semi Precious and personally I hardly use it.... It's big. I would check it out first, IF you have any recs of what you plan on using it for please do share I would love to know! your welcome Iyse hmmm the 134 looks a lil odd does't it LOL... can't really see a major use there!
    It's great for bronzer, magically cool powders, or setting and finishing powders.
    black is such a happy colour

  14. #14
    Senior Member MissTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    No MAC Zone
    Posts
    3,215
    Quote Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post
    It's great for bronzer, magically cool powders, or setting and finishing powders.
    I would have thought it was too big for highlighters. Thanks so much for the tip. I really hope it works b/c the brush seems very nice quality-wise. I've got Whisper of Gilt and NARS Luster to test it out.
    I get by with a little help from my FRIENDS...

  15. #15
    Senior Member pemily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    adelaide, australia
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post
    It's great for bronzer, magically cool powders, or setting and finishing powders.
    Hmm I would of thought too small for that?!?!?
    im going to try it.... Given your expertise :-) which side first lol

  16. #16
    Senior Member erine1881's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    19,184
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTT View Post
    I would have thought it was too big for highlighters. Thanks so much for the tip. I really hope it works b/c the brush seems very nice quality-wise. I've got Whisper of Gilt and NARS Luster to test it out.
    Cheek highlight, temple, down the nose...it's perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by pemily View Post
    Hmm I would of thought too small for that?!?!? im going to try it.... Given your expertise :-) which side first lol
    The 134 isn't really all that small.
    black is such a happy colour

  17. #17
    Senior Member pemily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    adelaide, australia
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post
    The 134 isn't really all that small.
    Haha!!!!

    I thought we were talking about the 235 lmao
    im like whatever floats their boat haha

  18. #18
    Senior Member lyseD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,724

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTT View Post
    I picked up the 189 and it works pretty well with pressed powders, however, I just realized I don't really use pressed powders. LOL. (I got a sample of the new MUFE powder foundation and tried it with that.) Any other recommendations for this brush? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get rid of it.
    this is my favorite brush to use with my liquid foundation. I went to a MAC class on bridal makeup and the MA said that due to the size of the brush she can apply foundation the fastest with it, she said its perfect for her when she has bridal parties and is pressed for time.

    of course based on her recommendation, I brought one and really appreciated how fast you can apply product with it. the application is streak free and I think its due to the way the ends of the bristles are cut. Flawless and fast, that's why i love it. I also use this brush with my MSFN. its a great brush and I hope you can find a good way to make it work.
    Tried and True HG products: M.A.C Face and Body, MUFE Camo Cream #20, Ben Nye Banana Powder, MAC 208 brush, Wet and Wild Mega Eyes Cream Eyeliner, MAC 168 brush, MAC fix+, NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Primer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  20. #20
    Senior Member lilinah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,052
    I haven't read all the posts yet, and i will.

    However, i have a question. I recently purchased a NARS cream blush, Gold Member, and a NARS cream eye shadow, Mousson. I may well have brushes that work for them but i'm not sure. What brushes would people recommend? I'm looking for a light touch with the cream blush so i don't look like Gold Finger.
    Skin - between 15 & 20 neutral, Eyes - hazel, Hair - long fluffy brunette with white sidewalls

    Team Purple Forever

    Serving the Planet For Over 65 Years
    And Never Too Old For Glitter

  21. #21
    Senior Member lilinah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,052
    Quote: Originally Posted by MissTT
    I picked up the 189 and it works pretty well with pressed powders, however, I just realized I don't really use pressed powders. LOL. (I got a sample of the new MUFE powder foundation and tried it with that.) Any other recommendations for this brush? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get rid of it.


    Oh!!! That's a brush i'm going to have to buy!

    I have a Revlon brush from the late 60s or early 70s that's very much like it. I LOVE that brush, but, well, it's getting old and tired. It still works great, but it has been losing hairs from around the outside over the decades - it is close to 45 years old, after all. It has a black lacquered wooden handle and beautiful, soft but firm, real animal hairs (don't cry, animal activists, those animals went to heaven a long time ago). ETA: It's labeled Complexion Brush.

    That was back when there weren't very many makeup brushes on the market for the general public. I have used it for both pressed and loose face powders and for pressed powder blush. I was into contouring in the 70s and used my brush for that too. So i can see the MAC 189 working with just about any powder for the face and cheeks - face powder, blush, highlighter, contour. I would hesitate to use it with creams or other emollient based products because it's so thick i'd be concerned it would just suck that stuff up.
    Skin - between 15 & 20 neutral, Eyes - hazel, Hair - long fluffy brunette with white sidewalls

    Team Purple Forever

    Serving the Planet For Over 65 Years
    And Never Too Old For Glitter

  22. #22
    Senior Member lilinah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,052
    Quote Originally Posted by lyseD View Post
    I am so getting this.
    That looks like a fun toy.
    Skin - between 15 & 20 neutral, Eyes - hazel, Hair - long fluffy brunette with white sidewalls

    Team Purple Forever

    Serving the Planet For Over 65 Years
    And Never Too Old For Glitter

  23. #23
    Senior Member LAKESHA1908's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    EAST COAST BABY!
    Posts
    249
    My first MAC brush was the 190 and I used it forever for SFF back in the day ; )
    Philly Chic Wit a Lil Attitude

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKESHA1908 View Post
    My first MAC brush was the 190 and I used it forever for SFF back in the day ; )
    That was my first brush too! I got it in 2004 to do my sister's makeup for her prom. Aside from that I just used studio fix powder plus with the sponge or puff it came with. I wasn't into face brushes then, now I can't get enough of them! My 190 is still in great shape too! All I use it for is primer and moisturizer now.
    Tried and True HG products: M.A.C Face and Body, MUFE Camo Cream #20, Ben Nye Banana Powder, MAC 208 brush, Wet and Wild Mega Eyes Cream Eyeliner, MAC 168 brush, MAC fix+, NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Primer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  25. #25
    Junior Member schneckchen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Germany
    Posts
    16
    The best topic ever ;-)

    I love MAC brushes and collect them for some time now...so I own about 65 different :-)

  26. #26
    Senior Member MissTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    No MAC Zone
    Posts
    3,215
    Quote Originally Posted by lilinah View Post
    Oh!!! That's a brush i'm going to have to buy!

    I have a Revlon brush from the late 60s or early 70s that's very much like it. I LOVE that brush, but, well, it's getting old and tired. It still works great, but it has been losing hairs from around the outside over the decades - it is close to 45 years old, after all. It has a black lacquered wooden handle and beautiful, soft but firm, real animal hairs (don't cry, animal activists, those animals went to heaven a long time ago). ETA: It's labeled Complexion Brush.

    That was back when there weren't very many makeup brushes on the market for the general public. I have used it for both pressed and loose face powders and for pressed powder blush. I was into contouring in the 70s and used my brush for that too. So i can see the MAC 189 working with just about any powder for the face and cheeks - face powder, blush, highlighter, contour. I would hesitate to use it with creams or other emollient based products because it's so thick i'd be concerned it would just suck that stuff up.
    I love your stories. I was cracking up about the long dead animals. The 189 brush is synthetic so it should work well with emollients. It came out with the MSFN I think. Anyway, I did try it with foundation last month and it worked well, but I don't recall if it sucked up product.
    I get by with a little help from my FRIENDS...

  27. #27
    Senior Member MissTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    No MAC Zone
    Posts
    3,215
    Quote: Originally Posted by sss215
    this is my favorite brush to use with my liquid foundation. I went to a MAC class on bridal makeup and the MA said that due to the size of the brush she can apply foundation the fastest with it, she said its perfect for her when she has bridal parties and is pressed for time.

    of course based on her recommendation, I brought one and really appreciated how fast you can apply product with it. the application is streak free and I think its due to the way the ends of the bristles are cut. Flawless and fast, that's why i love it. I also use this brush with my MSFN. its a great brush and I hope you can find a good way to make it work.



    It does help liquid foundation go on quickly and streak-free, but I found a new HG foundation brush (UD Optical Blurring Brush) so I won't be using this big, whopping paint brush for that again. Like you say though the cut of it is flawless. It's just a great quality brush. I've never tried MSFN. Is that mineral makeup? I don't really use pressed powders and quit the mineral makeup last year due to a suddenly developed allergic reaction to Bare Minerals.

    So excited. This thread is going to be great!
    I get by with a little help from my FRIENDS...

  28. #28
    I actually just ordered a few brushes today! I'm kind of over my sigma brushes and really wanted to try out some more mac brushes. I already have the 217 en 129 which I both love. Today I ordered the 109, 130, 219, 286, and 239 so super excited, can't wait till they arrive!

  29. #29
    Senior Member erine1881's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    19,184
    Quote Originally Posted by lilinah View Post
    I haven't read all the posts yet, and i will. However, i have a question. I recently purchased a NARS cream blush, Gold Member, and a NARS cream eye shadow, Mousson. I may well have brushes that work for them but i'm not sure. What brushes would people recommend? I'm looking for a light touch with the cream blush so i don't look like*Gold Finger.
    For the blush, try the 168 or the 188. For the shadow, the 249 (currently being DCd).
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTT View Post
    I was talking about the 189. Are we all on a different page?*
    No, i multi-quoted two different questions about two different brushes, you with then189, another with the 134. Then someone quoted me, which included my response to both questions, which is what you're seeing. Go off of my original quote.
    black is such a happy colour

  30. #30
    Senior Member MissTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    No MAC Zone
    Posts
    3,215
    Ah, thanks. I didn't realize the 2nd person you were quoting was talking about a different brush.
    I get by with a little help from my FRIENDS...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •