Makeup geek eyeshadow for woc?

NicoleL

Sorry if this has been talked about somewhere but I searched around and couldn't really find what I was looking for. I've been really curious about makeup geek eyeshadows, I'm really curious if they are actually as good as mac or if its is more about the price point that people prefer and are willing to sacrifice a little for that lower price. I only have 6 mac eyeshadows so I'm by no means an expert on their quality. So basically I am wondering what you guys think about these eyeshadows especially on darker skin tones. As I've been looking for swatches I can not find very many on darker skin tones and the ones I feel like people with darker skin tones talk about are cocoa bear and corrupt.

Do you guys have any thoughts or color suggestions if you like them better than mac?

sagehen

I am curious about these too. People say they are very much worth the money. I want the two you mentioned as well as several others. I am trying to wait and see if any of the starter kits will come back in stock, for a better-value way of trying out the brand. I have heard several good reviews from WOC who have these e/s.

DILLIGAF

I currently have 12 MG shadows and I have to concur with the masses in saying the pigmentation and quality are there. What makes them even better is that the pigmentation and quality are at a more than reasonable price point. I have the two colors you ladies are curious about.I will swatch them for you. I'm a NARS sheer glow in Trinidad. For me they are in the same range for quality as MAC. Cocoa Bear is a warm brown that I constantly reach for as a transition color. Corrupt is a great black but I find that NYX black is darker. Either way you look at it, it's better than Carbon.

DILLIGAF

Cocoa Bear and Corrupt with and without flash If you want I can swatch the other 10 shadows I own as well.

sagehen

^^I would love if you would just list the other MUG e/s you own. I just don't know where to start.

DILLIGAF

• Unexpected
  • Drama Queen
  • Moondust
  • Peacock
  • Dirty Martini
  • Galaxy
  • Envy
  • Ocean Breeze
  • Mocha
  • Nautica

Yazmin

I have more than 30 MUG shadows. I'll be in and out over the weekend but will try to find some time to swatch them and post pics. I'm NC50.

DILLIGAF

Moondust and Unexpected with and without flash. The swatches are making Unexpected look a bit ashy but in my experience it's not. As a matter of fact Moondust with Unexpected in the crease would be an interesting combo. Naturally add something a bit deeper in the outer v for depth.

Yazmin

I have more than 30 MUG shadows. I'll be in and out over the weekend but will try to find some time to swatch them and post pics. I'm NC50.
which colors do you have?
Burlesque
Appletini
Creme Brulee
Drama Queen
Dirty Martini
Neptune
Cosmopolitan
Galaxy
Cupcake
Unexpected
Vanilla Bean
Ice Queen
Shimma Shimma
Bling
Lemon Drop
Bleached Blonde
Prom Night
Moondust
Homecoming
Twilight
Glamorous
Goddess
Chickadee
Latte
Taupe Notch
Preppy
Pretentious
Simply Marlena
Sensuous
Mermaid
Poolside
Nautica
Last Dance
Brown Sugar
Cocoa Bear
Bitten
Bada Bing
Mocha
Corrupt
All foiled shadows

Let me know if there are any specific shadows you'd like me to swatch.

NicoleL

Here are swatches of the ones I ordered. I'm sure most people expect that things won't look exactly like they did on the computer once they get them, but I wanted to mention that there are some shades that particularly didn't look quite right in the pictures I took. Peach smoothie looks slightly darker and more peach, unexpected looks paler and more lavender, and preppy looks less green.

finger swatches in the same order as above

runisaa

Beautiful swatches! For those who have (or researched) these, how do you compare these : Bitten vs burlesque Mocha vs. bada bing Cosmopolitan vs. grandstand (foiled)

nikkideevah

I've been going back and forth on these.. There are two WOC YT's I follow...both are around NC45 one says they are great and the other says they are crap..

StyleBlack

I LOVE Corrupt! It's black as ******! lol

I like Peach Smoothie for a more subtle brown highlight (good alternative to my fave matte brown highlight, Samoa Silk from MAC)

I have a few others that are nice. I think they're good shadows, especially at the price point. They are quite pigmented and colour-true. The only major drawback for me is how powdery they are. I had to put the Corrupt pan in a completely separate container because the black dust got all over the other shadows in my palette. The fallout is CRAZY if you're not careful. Other than that, I liked them and would re-order.

Note: I only have matte shades, so the shimmery shadows may not be as powdery.

StyleBlack

Yeah. Carbon sucks.
I currently have 12 MG shadows and I have to concur with the masses in saying the pigmentation and quality are there. What makes them even better is that the pigmentation and quality are at a more than reasonable price point. I have the two colors you ladies are curious about.I will swatch them for you. I'm a NARS sheer glow in Trinidad. For me they are in the same range for quality as MAC. Cocoa Bear is a warm brown that I constantly reach for as a transition color. Corrupt is a great black but I find that NYX black is darker. Either way you look at it, it's better than Carbon.

runisaa

Here is a video showing ALL the makeup geek main collection shadows on brown skin! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ukr33J__s. It is a really in depth look at all the swatches with some discussion about the quality of each shadow and how it applies on deep / woc skin. Great video if you want to know how makeup geek eye shadows look on African American and women of color skin tones from NC35 to NC 50.

Latest posts