(HAA): Highlighter Addicts Anonymous

ARmakeupjunkie

^^^^^Sun Dipped would be the one I would go for at this point...BUT...there is imminent danger in the Sephora thread from both BECCA & Hourglass...lol

Shelly mentioned the CS 88/120 palettes. I won one a looooong time ago from a YT contest. It worked for doing fantastical fun stuff, NOT for everyday looks...just cheap all the way around. No allergic reactions but they just sucked! So I never purchased any and this is why I never bothered with brands like Morphe or Gerard, etc.

I understand completely. Neither Morphe or Gerard interest me. I recently placed and receieved my first ColourPop order and after trying some of the products, I don't plan to ever purchase any of their products again. To me, the quality just is not there and well, that's kinda important to me. I would rather pay more and get the quality I like.

There's a massive stigma about that and has been for years.

I think it's partially connected with inexpensive brands selling/rebranding mass eyeshadow palettes (think the big 88/120/180 eyeshadow palettes Coastal Scents and BH, among others, have sold that you can find on eBay for cheap) or other cosmetics and people having reactions to something in them that probably shouldn't have been (or sometimes ingredients that are commonly present but are present at unsafe levels?), plus toys manufactured there that have toxic levels of something or other in them or whatnot.

Thank you for answering. I can see how that could be a problem and may be the reason I stay away from low end or what I often refer to as no name, brands of lots of products and have for a long time. What I don't understand is how this could be a problem for companies like ABH if they are doing product oversight and quality control, which they should be.

fur4elise

yeah I don't bother to buy stuff from those kinds of brands either but I do like ABH so.. you need sun dipped lol at least if you're going to buy one of them get that one :rolleyes: :stickpoke:

LOL! Enabler!

I understand completely. Neither Morphe or Gerard interest me. I recently placed and received my first Colour Pop order and after trying some of the products, I don't plan to ever purchase any of their products again. To me, the quality just is not there and well, that's kinda important to me. I would rather pay more and get the quality I like.
Sorry to hear you were disappointed, but I am glad you are saying so out loud. :tee:
I have been able to resist the allure of Colour Pop. Here is my rational...it's very inexpensive...if you buy one or two or three things...but once you start down the CP "Yellow Brick Road" you end up buying ALL the Colour Pop...which adds up to a pretty penny at $5 to $8 a "pop." Gees, I could have used that $20 on a really good, long lasting whatever...PLUS, do I really need to own 20 - 30 CP items...that I may or may not wear? Ah...eh...no. And do not get me started on Kylie whatshername or Jeffree Star...I cannot support either of those brands on sheer principle...but that is me and to each their own, I cast no T, no Shade. ;)

GreenEyedAllie

What's the problem with them being made in China? Are they putting something in the product we don't know about?

There's a massive stigma about that and has been for years.

I think it's partially connected with inexpensive brands selling/rebranding mass eyeshadow palettes (think the big 88/120/180 eyeshadow palettes Coastal Scents and BH, among others, have sold that you can find on eBay for cheap) or other cosmetics and people having reactions to something in them that probably shouldn't have been (or sometimes ingredients that are commonly present but are present at unsafe levels?), plus toys manufactured there that have toxic levels of something or other in them or whatnot.

SO yeah, basically what Shelly said. Factories in China, even 'good' ones, are constantly having major issues when products (from dog food to human food to toys, etc.) are tested by independent groups. It's not like, whoops we were shady and put talc or have preservatives we claim not to have so much as it is we have plaster, heavy metals, literal poisons (not 'poisons' a la people who don't like 'chemicals'..think arsenic). So for things like makeup and skincare that go into and onto sensitive parts of my body....big NOPE for me. Our plants are certainly not angels, but our standards (and Europe's) tend to be higher and watched more closely.

boschicka

Thank you for answering. I can see how that could be a problem and may be the reason I stay away from low end or what I often refer to as no name, brands of lots of products and have for a long time. What I don't understand is how this could be a problem for companies like ABH if they are doing product oversight and quality control, which they should be.

One would hope that with oversight, things would be different, but there have been so many products (outside of cosmetics) that have come from China through reputable brands that have QC checking on things that have still been contaminated, etc.
It's a personal choice for everyone and I hope I didn't offend anyone. I respect everyone's decisions in buying whatever they choose. I personally try to avoid products from China, and it's annoying to me when it's difficult to find that info so that's why I point it out when I can b/c I know some people here also avoid it.

Kaidan

The ABH Moon Child palette and the upcoming KVD triangular palette got me super excited. I like the look of the Sweets palette but I'd rather swatch that in person before buying. I've resisted the glow kits because there's a shade or two that I may never use.

I wish I could get into Colourpop but their shipping is way too excessive. It's basically the price of a MUFE eye shadow.

GreenEyedAllie

What's the problem with them being made in China? Are they putting something in the product we don't know about?

One would hope that with oversight, things would be different, but there have been so many products (outside of cosmetics) that have come from China through reputable brands that have QC checking on things that have still been contaminated, etc.
It's a personal choice for everyone and I hope I didn't offend anyone. I respect everyone's decisions in buying whatever they choose. I personally try to avoid products from China, and it's annoying to me when it's difficult to find that info so that's why I point it out when I can b/c I know some people here also avoid it.

I second this comment! :iagree:

And you and me both, babe. It makes me sad because they're so pretty, but I have enough and trends catch on...

ARmakeupjunkie

LOL! Enabler!

Sorry to hear you were disappointed, but I am glad you are saying so out loud. :tee:
I have been able to resist the allure of Colour Pop. Here is my rational...it's very inexpensive...if you buy one or two or three things...but once you start down the CP "Yellow Brick Road" you end up buying ALL the Colour Pop...which adds up to a pretty penny at $5 to $8 a "pop." Gees, I could have used that $20 on a really good, long lasting whatever...PLUS, do I really need to own 20 - 30 CP items...that I may or may not wear? Ah...eh...no. And do not get me started on Kylie whatshername or Jeffree Star...I cannot support either of those brands on sheer principle...but that is me and to each their own, I cast no T, no Shade. ;)

I caught myself saying the same thing. I'm glad I didn't pay $20 for the white and yellow gel eyeliners because I won't use them that often. But everything else, I could have saved my money and just got the ABH or MAC items I have been wanting. Not only that, I usually try to avoid companies without a return policy when purchasing more than one or two items. As for Kylie, I just don't have any interest in her products and won't use JS products if they were given to me for free.

You did not offend. I had seen the China comment before and was wondering what that was about.

SO yeah, basically what Shelly said. Factories in China, even 'good' ones, are constantly having major issues when products (from dog food to human food to toys, etc.) are tested by independent groups. It's not like, whoops we were shady and put talc or have preservatives we claim not to have so much as it is we have plaster, heavy metals, literal poisons (not 'poisons' a la people who don't like 'chemicals'..think arsenic). So for things like makeup and skincare that go into and onto sensitive parts of my body....big NOPE for me. Our plants are certainly not angels, but our standards (and Europe's) tend to be higher and watched more closely.

I can understand the extra caution when dealing with skincare, makeup and other items you put on your body and in your mouth.

Monsy

I would never buy/use any cosmetics made in china.

and getting sucked into the brand that seem cheap but you end up with 354254 average items equals getting couple of expensive ones from another brand that have excellent quality

karlaedith

I would never buy/use any cosmetics made in china.

and getting sucked into the brand that seem cheap but you end up with 354254 average items equals getting couple of expensive ones from another brand that have excellent quality
This is the reason i have a VERY small makeup collection, i dont need 10+ colourpop single eyeshadow or 3 morphe palettes, when i think about the low prices on those brands or really cheap drugstore brands who maybe they have nice color selection but formula not so nice im like " well for the same money or a few dollars more i could get a nice blush, or a good foundation, or a nice loose setting powder and i also like pretty and good quality packaging... So i prefer few but great quality products over a drawer full of avarage ones, my makeup organizer is from the original beauty box has 5 drawer and all my collection fits in there and i still have space left for more:)

ARmakeupjunkie

Wearing Laure Gellar Charming Pink Illuminator and I'm in love! It's so pretty! So glad I have been stepping out of my highlighter comfort zone lately!

Bubek07

i recently jumped on the highlighter train
so far i have hourglass ambient palette and colourpop hippo
recently i bought becca opal dua that was for 20$ in sephora and colourpop monster and releve

do you have any suggestions fro a highlighter im a neutral undertone and fair complexion with honey brown/blond hair

fur4elise

Wearing Laure Gellar Charming Pink Illuminator and I'm in love! It's so pretty! So glad I have been stepping out of my highlighter comfort zone lately!
Ooooh! I still do not have a straight up pink highlighter in my stash. I was this__close to purchasing the Bobbi Brown. I love anything that resembles swirled gelato! ;) Yummmmmm!

Monsy

i recently jumped on the highlighter train
so far i have hourglass ambient palette and colourpop hippo
recently i bought becca opal dua that was for 20$ in sephora and colourpop monster and releve

do you have any suggestions fro a highlighter im a neutral undertone and fair complexion with honey brown/blond hair

mac lightscapade

Shars

Ooooh! I still do not have a straight up pink highlighter in my stash. I was this__close to purchasing the Bobbi Brown. I love anything that resembles swirled gelato! ;) Yummmmmm!

The Balm's Cindy Lou-Manizer is pink deliciousness! If Dior ever brings back their pink one from Spring (I think), that is another beautiful one!

fur4elise

The Balm's Cindy Lou-Manizer is pink deliciousness! If Dior ever brings back their pink one from Spring (I think), that is another beautiful one!
LOL! That is the one Manizer I do not have in my collection. I have Mary and Betty! ;) I also have the Dior Glowing Gardens Nude and love it. So I would definitely consider the pink...rumors were that it was going to come back as a permanent item.

Shars

LOL! That is the one Manizer I do not have in my collection. I have Mary and Betty! ;) I also have the Dior Glowing Gardens Nude and love it. So I would definitely consider the pink...rumors were that it was going to come back as a permanent item.

You need it!! *POKE!* lol. I heard that rumour too. Dior would be mad not to bring that back!

Latest posts