Greasy scalp + dry ends - Help!

mrsjellyby

Hello ladies (and gents)!

I seem to have 'combination hair' if that's even possible. I have a greasy scalp and dry-ish ends. By ends, I mean any part of the hair that is far from the scalp.

Any part of the hair that is close to the scalp (even around the neck) seems to get quite greasy in a couple of days.

If I try to address the scalp issues, I end up having very dry ends.

The ends just 'hang' and look limp, with no movement at all. The hair looks pretty dead :|.

Does anyone have any advice or tips for this?

Any conditioning tips especially would help, as that seems to be my blind spot!

Thanks very much!

suciarubia

Only shampoo your scalp, not the midshift or ends, and try not to wash every day. If your hair gets oily, use a dry shampoo instead of washing it, or throw it up in a pony tail! The less chemicals, the better. Only condition the midshift and ends, doing a deep conditioner or hair masque once a week or so. Rinse with cool water. Coconut oil treatments for the ends once a month have done wonders for mine, as have apple cidar vinegar rinses to get rid of product buildup. An Argan oil on the ends makes them look less dry, too! Try not to heat style or blow dry, but if you do, use a heat protectant. *not a hair stylist- these are just things that work for me.

Lin1018

I wash my hair every 3rd day but I wouldn't call my scalp greasy, it just feels unclean. I use Australian Tea Tree Shampoo & Conditioner but alongside this I use Pro Naturals Hair Repair System for one week in every six weeks. I do use my Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil leave in treatment after EVERY shampoo but I am careful to only apply it to the ends and halfway up the shaft. A very little amount of argan oil goes a long way and it is a really good heat protectant. Suciarubia's suggestion of using a dry shampoo makes sense, but it is not something I would use.

Lin1018 has all the right ideas. What I like to do is add pure tea tree and peppermint oil to a good sulfate free shampoo and that helps keep to keep the dandruff at bay. Argan oil on the tips of your hair is also a great idea. I like to get 100% pure and organic argan because it's so much more effective than the diluted leave in treatments plus it's an amazing moisturizer for the skin.

Lin1018

Lin1018 has all the right ideas. What I like to do is add pure tea tree and peppermint oil to a good sulfate free shampoo and that helps keep to keep the dandruff at bay. Argan oil on the tips of your hair is also a great idea. I like to get 100% pure and organic argan because it's so much more effective than the diluted leave in treatments plus it's an amazing moisturizer for the skin.
I was puzzled with all the hype about silicones so I did a search and found this excellent website tightlycurly.com/ingredients and looked up
Cyclopentasiloxane
A type of Silicone known as a Cyclomethicone. Used as a hair and skin conditioner and increases slip in lots of products, including lipsticks, makeup, lotions, and conditioners
Good
Dimethicone
The heaviest of all silicones used for hair care, they provide the most smoothing effect, but is hardest to wash out. Moisturizer to treat or prevent dry, rough, scaly, itchy skin & minor skin irritations
Good
apparently there are some good silicones, any thoughts anyone? Oh by the way there are no sulphates in Pro Naturals

Latest posts