Anyone moved to LA or NY recently? I need advice about how.

Goat Goat Etc.

So it's about to be a year since I got my BA in Fashion Merchandising and I have found nothing relative in my field in the central time zone. This has really dampened my spirits. If I could have afforded to I would have taken on the internships in NY and LA and maybe gotten somewhere with them. I feel like everyone around me who did, moved away and got somewhere because of the experience and contacts they got (this is not necessarily true, I know). Right now, I'm strongly considering going back to school for a BA in Business and something small in IT, graphic design, or web development because they seem to be the equalizers right now.

That said, I was wondering what were some of your steps or motivations to move to either city. I especially would like to hear from those of you who had no help from friends or family and did not know a soul.

Monica

So it's about to be a year since I got my BA in Fashion Merchandising and I have found nothing relative in my field in the central time zone. This has really dampened my spirits. If I could have afforded to I would have taken on the internships in NY and LA and maybe gotten somewhere with them. I feel like everyone around me who did, moved away and got somewhere because of the experience and contacts they got (this is not necessarily true, I know). Right now, I'm strongly considering going back to school for a BA in Business and something small in IT, graphic design, or web development because they seem to be the equalizers right now.

That said, I was wondering what were some of your steps or motivations to move to either city. I especially would like to hear from those of you who had no help from friends or family and did not know a soul.
This has to be one of my greatest fears about choosing a degree in something I'm passionate about rather than something that is marketable right now. Fashion is such a niche market that its really difficult to break into. I picked up and moved to another city for a job recently and it was really difficult not to have any family here. I would suggest not moving until you've secured a position that you feel confident is stable and pays well enough based on the higher cost of living in both of those cities. Hopefully someone will have some experience that can help you further. Best of luck!

Latest posts