Random WOC Makeup Thoughts

sagehen

Has anyone heard of the issues surrounding the original owner of black up cosmetics? http://www.thestyleandbeautydoctor.com/2015/10/black-up-cosmetics-owner-qa/
I have - what are your thoughts? This article led me to another without the spin job they tried to give Danielle. Here is are links: http://www.michelleamanda.com/2015/09/5-black-owned-alternatives-to-black-up.html http://www.blaqvixenbeauty.com/black-up-lost-founder-fabrice-mahabo/ I plan to steer clear and the confusion / lack of a clear story about the ownership is a big reason but not the only one.

Shars

I plan to steer clear and the confusion / lack of a clear story about the ownership is a big reason but not the only one.
Personally, I don't 100% buy either side of the story. I've read Mr. Mahabo's letter and coming from a corporate legal background but not knowing French law, I find it hard to believe that it was so easy for him to be wheedled out, even in light of his subsequent court applications. Sounds more like he wasn't properly represented from the get go because he could not have had shares that carried any adequate voting rights nor could he have been advised to make a trademark application so that even if he no longer owned the brand, he would still at least be getting royalties. I'm not convinced that he was as serious as being involved in the business side as he purports. You don't sign a shareholder's agreement if you aren't happy with its terms.

Apart from that, the fact that the new owners try so hard to maintain that all the visionaries behind the brand are POC makes me happy. I do believe that they are not saying a lot but that could be down to whatever confidentiality agreements they have been made to sign - all probably to ensure the brand is not carried through the mud. Their products are exceptional and I will personally continue to support the brand. If I decided not to buy from every brand with drama, I wouldn't be buying any more makeup.

lenchen

I plan to steer clear and the confusion / lack of a clear story about the ownership is a big reason but not the only one.
It seems like a Bernard Arnult style takeover,and I think It's unfortunate, it also sounds like the original owner was blindsided and didn't realize what happened to him until it was too late. Aside all that, I love their products, they're exceptional, and I'm really to find a company that makes products that works for me. I LOVED their foundations and their CC cream, as well as other products currently available. I'm on the fence on weather or not to continue supporting the brand, it remains to be seen what direction the company goes. product wise. I was hoping they didn't change things, and start reformulating, getting rid of shades, reduce quality etc..I see they're already reformulating the CC cream in the US...so i'm waiting to see what happens

sagehen

I just came here to say that...I am a little mad. I was messing around on Sephora's website and saw that the new "born This Way " foundations had come in, including the new darker shades. WHY are they only available online? So how am I supposed to figure out which one to buy? I am not buying but, IJS...it's this part of the equation that people forget with this whole WOC and foundation thing. OK, so you make a shade or two that MIGHT work for me. Number one, I won't know that unless you advertise that fact, which was discussed earlier in the thread, but number two, if I cannot access the product, how am I supposed to buy? So, are companies taking our inability to purchase a product as unwillingness? I am completely of the opinion that it's just makeup and don't make much effort to track certain things down if I am not OBSESSED with them, so here is another chance Too Faced has missed out on to sell a product. I gotta say, I am almost mad enough to ponder not buying the Chocolate Bon Bon e/s palette I have been going on about for the past several months. Almost. And for people who say the stores decide what they carry on the ground, I say that these brands have some power too and can/should put their foot down in situations like this if they are truly interested in serving a diverse client base.

Shars

I just came here to say that...I am a little mad. I was messing around on Sephora's website and saw that the new "born This Way " foundations had come in, including the new darker shades. WHY are they only available online? So how am I supposed to figure out which one to buy? I am not buying but, IJS...it's this part of the equation that people forget with this whole WOC and foundation thing. OK, so you make a shade or two that MIGHT work for me. Number one, I won't know that unless you advertise that fact, which was discussed earlier in the thread, but number two, if I cannot access the product, how am I supposed to buy? So, are companies taking our inability to purchase a product as unwillingness? I am completely of the opinion that it's just makeup and don't make much effort to track certain things down if I am not OBSESSED with them, so here is another chance Too Faced has missed out on to sell a product. I gotta say, I am almost mad enough to ponder not buying the Chocolate Bon Bon e/s palette I have been going on about for the past several months. Almost. And for people who say the stores decide what they carry on the ground, I say that these brands have some power too and can/should put their foot down in situations like this if they are truly interested in serving a diverse client base.
I was JUST looking at them and wondering since when they had the darker shades out. I was wondering how long they were there 'cause I would've picked up one during the VIB sale. If I were them, I would've sent a slew of the darker shades to at least 4 of the more popular WOC beauty bloggers by now especially since they're online only. I've seen brands send people like Karen from Makeup & Beauty Blog and other bloggers, including some WOC all shades of a foundation or concealer so they can swatch all on their skin. That helps because if I know I'm not as dark or light as X blogger, I can be a little more sure about buying sight unseen. I don't think they seriously want our money Sage!

sagehen

I was JUST looking at them and wondering since when they had the darker shades out. I was wondering how long they were there 'cause I would've picked up one during the VIB sale. If I were them, I would've sent a slew of the darker shades to at least 4 of the more popular WOC beauty bloggers by now especially since they're online only. I've seen brands send people like Karen from Makeup & Beauty Blog and other bloggers, including some WOC all shades of a foundation or concealer so they can swatch all on their skin. That helps because if I know I'm not as dark or light as X blogger, I can be a little more sure about buying sight unseen. I don't think they seriously want our money Sage
@ the bolded: EXACTLY. They think they do but they ain't serious. I have read that you and I should not even bother. I read on another board that the 4 darker shades are not actually all that dark. Like not past NC45 dark, so... then thing is, until Too Faced makes a point to either advertise (why can't they have a shade coverter on their site, load their info into findaiton.com, send the product to dark-skinned bloggers, SOMETHING) or make the product available for me to try myself, I am going with that sister's review and not wasting my money.

Shars

@ the bolded: EXACTLY. They think they do but they ain't serious. I have read that you and I should not even bother. I read on another board that the 4 darker shades are not actually all that dark. Like not past NC45 dark, so... then thing is, until Too Faced makes a point to either advertise (why can't they have a shade coverter on their site, load their info into findaiton.com, send the product to dark-skinned bloggers, SOMETHING) or make the product available for me to try myself, I am going with that sister's review and not wasting my money.
*kanye shrug*
On to the next one.

lenchen

I was JUST looking at them and wondering since when they had the darker shades out. I was wondering how long they were there 'cause I would've picked up one during the VIB sale. If I were them, I would've sent a slew of the darker shades to at least 4 of the more popular WOC beauty bloggers by now especially since they're online only. I've seen brands send people like Karen from Makeup & Beauty Blog and other bloggers, including some WOC all shades of a foundation or concealer so they can swatch all on their skin. That helps because if I know I'm not as dark or light as X blogger, I can be a little more sure about buying sight unseen. I don't think they seriously want our money Sage!
I agree, this is very frustrating

ARmakeupjunkie

I ordered TF Born This Way in Maple a copy of weeks ago after it hit the TF site. I'm a NW45 and, while I was second guessing my color choice before I ordered, I was not expecting what I got. It's too light and judging by the swatches I saw on youtube after ordering, the darkest shade, Mahogany, will be too light as well. I was looking forward to getting the Chocolate Bon Bon palette but since they can't be bothered to make foundation shades that I can actually wear, I will not waste any money on their products. The only way I will end up with that palette will be if they don't receive and process my return within their return time frame.

Prettypackages

I was talking to my new MUA BF who works in Burberry. She said to be honest, the makeup lines that have the best ranges aare Double Wear and Tiente Idole. of course we were limited to NOrdies brands. She said what I thought about BBrown for years, great shades, but her foundations do not stay on all day. SHe also could see why I'm inbtwn shades a lot, and MAC is too orange.
I decided to take on a new high luxury brands foundation, that MUA told me I had a pink undertone. *sideeye* unless I truly do not know what color I am.

Prettypackages

what type of contour should woc wear? I heard all should be grey base, but then recent a SA said it should be warm like a bronzer. But I thought using a bronzer for contour just made your face look dirty.

fur4elise

what type of contour should woc wear? I heard all should be grey base, but then recent a SA said it should be warm like a bronzer. But I thought using a bronzer for contour just made your face look dirty.

This is still a quandry for me. I am an NC 42 - 45 depending on time of year. For contouring I literally rotate between drugstore and dept store brands of bronzers. (Rimmel, MAC, Clarins, Physician's Formula) Regardless anything too warm ends up looking orangey, oompa loompa and/or changes the shade of my blush. ick. I still use my MAC NSF in various shades: Med Dark, Med Deep, Deep. But I'm still seeking the right shade(s)...

I just took a leap and purchased 3 different shades of bronzer during the Stila clearance sale last week. The shades look more cool tone (not per se grey). I wanted to try something new and for about $10 bucks a pop a cheaper way to experiment/try. :)

Trashcult

I find using a shade or two darker than your skin tone and with a similar undertone makes for a good contour. Using highlighters (a shade or two lighter) are also an option for adding dimension to the face.

Trashcult

lol.gif
I love this answer...in true Spectra fashion, get both!
Hahaha amazing!:rofl:

sagehen

OK, it's been quiet in the Beauty of Color forum lately, but I just wanted to come in here and wish everyone Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Also, on topic, I have to come somewhere and share this...I was browsing around in a SiJCP near me today and a really nice SA came and offered to help. Not the passing, are you finding everything ok and not breaking stride kinda help, but stopped and asked if she could help me find a MUFE e/s since I seemed to be looking for some. I was. I wasn't wearing my glasses and I could NOT see the item I was looking for. Anyway, it turns out it wasn't there - it was in the drawer beneath and when she opened that drawer y'all I saw a FREAKING MUFE No. 92, sitting there, beaming its purple goodness to my eyes. I very nicely inquired about it and when she put her hands on it, she knew. I demanded to be allowed to take it home while dancing around the bay (yes, I really danced). She quickly picked up the other older MUFE shadows down there and put them in my basket (one a neutral and the other a shade very similar to a shade I was looking for that they did NOT have in stock). When we got up to the registers they wouldn't scan so she took out her old code book (why don't others know to do this?) and typed in a code and they came out to $7 each. WOW. She did my exchange and new purchase in one transaction and did not mess up my other MUFE discount with the 3/$44 deal. I know this was her job, but this is so rarely my experience nowadays. She was so kind to let me browse in the drawer and find the shadow I came in looking for and just managed my purchase with NO drama. This was great. I asked her if she would be my go-to person, as in can I call there and ASK FOR YOU? I hate cold calling - you totally cannot trust info you get that way. People will say anything to get you off the phone.

Last edited:

Prettypackages

came back to say this. I randomly went to my mac nordies counter and a new guy was there. he sat me down and we started playing. He told me that despite me hearing that we should all wear a grey tone contour, I need something warmer. He pulled out Swiss Chocolate and another red blush. I love it so far. He also showed me so many cool tricks, I can't wait to go back and check him out.

This is still a quandry for me. I am an NC 42 - 45 depending on time of year. For contouring I literally rotate between drugstore and dept store brands of bronzers. (Rimmel, MAC, Clarins, Physician's Formula) Regardless anything too warm ends up looking orangey, oompa loompa and/or changes the shade of my blush. ick. I still use my MAC NSF in various shades: Med Dark, Med Deep, Deep. But I'm still seeking the right shade(s)...

I just took a leap and purchased 3 different shades of bronzer during the Stila clearance sale last week. The shades look more cool tone (not per se grey). I wanted to try something new and for about $10 bucks a pop a cheaper way to experiment/try. :)
I was playing in Sephora, they had all the contour kits together, and I actually liked them. One was cool toned, but as dark as the Swiss chocolate and I can't wait to try that. I just have to remember which one it was b/c I swatched them all together.

Prettypackages

I believe this has been discussed before. But why is EVERY black woman nc45?!? When I was working with the MUA artist I just mentioned he, of course, put me in nc 45 studio fix. I went with it and wore it the next day and I was sooo orange. I decided I wanted to swatch all the studio fix's against my cheek to see which one is better. The other MUA who is probably as dark as Style Beauty Dr. Said she was nc 45. HOW? We are totally different shades. How is this supposed to work for me and you. After playing around with the Studio fix shades and MSFN (they always put me in dark, or dark tan in that one) I think I like c6 and nc43. In MSFN I liked Med tan and Dark Golden. In studio fix I swatched c40, c5, c6, c7, c8, nc43, and nc 45. I knew C40 and c5 would be too light, c8 was the perfect golden brown (not a lot of orange) but too dark. C7 was a light orange. C6 was golden, and nc43 golden light orange. I'm really surprised how good Med Tan and Dark Golden look, if I'm supposed to be nc45. I understand it is probably hard matching WOC. I don't know my undertones and I've been told they were Golden (wtf is that anyway, yellow? LOL), Pink (oh come on!), and then I was told I had everything (side eye). I actually think the pink is in my cheeks b/c of Rosacea. I was in Ulta and wanted to pull the Indian girl at the check out aside. She had the most beautiful golden dark brown skin (olive?) and had on a foundation that matched color wise, but the undetone was pink. PINK. Totally washed her out and took away from the gorgeous tones in her skin.
So yeah, how can everyone be nc45.
On another note, I went to Sephora, the MUA had the prettiest complexion. She was golden like me so I was like, OMG what do you use. YSL Touche Eclat Foundation in bd60. Forgot all about that foundation. Picked up a sample and it . It worked.
I go through this every season, trying to find the perfect foundation and concealer. I think it will alwasy be my quest.
The MAC MUA, did show me a cool trick for concealer. He used Select Cover up (why have I never used this, I think I love it) in nc50 to cover my dark circles and then put nc 42 on top to brighten. LOVED it. Worked much better than an orange or peach correcter topped with nc 45 or similiar shade of concealer.

Oh and another thing, I read that Tracee Ellis Ross is Golden in Bobbi Brown... um no, If I'm golden you can't be Golden. Is Golden the NC45 of Bobbi Brown? LOL

Latest posts