Is it better to stay with one makeup brand?

pizzaburger

So I've been told that when wearing foundation, concealer and powder especially, it's better to stay with one brand. I mean, it kind of make sense. But I like a variety of different brands and I'm not sure if it's ok to wear them all at once. I've heard it really breaks you out. Should I stay with only one makeup brand? Most my stuff comes from Clinique, Estee Lauder and Lancome. Sometimes Neutrogena too.

Also, what do you guys think of the Double Wear Foundation by Estee Lauder? What's the best foundation out there? My Clinique looks too cakey at times even tho it's liquid. More like a matte liquid. I don't really like wearing drugstore foundations.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Whoever told you that staying with one brand is best in regards to makeup is being very prescriptive, or it's a bunch of BS marketing. And it is a load of rubbish that using multiple brands can break one out. Maybe sticking to one brand has worked for them; it doesn't mean it'll work for everyone else. Many of us here use a variety of brands without issue. My bête noir is "What's the best (insert product type here)?" questions. There is no universal "best" product out there, because you have to take multiple factors into consideration (skintone, skintype, body chemistry -- everyone is different!). The only way to know what works best for YOU is to try stuff out. What's your skintype? How are you applying your Clinique foundation, and which one are you using? Are you setting it with powder (if so, which one and what do you use to set it with)? Be as specific as you can. Personally, I've never used Double Wear.

pizzaburger

@shellygrrl my skin type is normal with a minimal oily t-zone. The last foundation I had was Clinique Stay Matte Oil-Free makeup. This was my first non drugstore makeup. And before I was using L'Oreal mostly. I'd heard that Clinique was pretty good so I went to the Macy's makeup counter and the woman there suggested that I buy the Stay Matte. It's been a while since I've used it, honestly, I've lost it somewhere in the house. That's why I'm thinking of getting the Estee Lauder Double Wear because I've heard good reviews. But the Stay Matte, from what I remember it was ok. It kind of made my face look cakey. But then again, I realized that the woman gave me the wrong brush so that might be a reason.

What are good foundations for my skin type? I've always liked liquid foundation over powder or cream or that fluffy kind. I'd like something that'll stay on a decent amount of time, won't be runny and make my skin look super oily or super dry.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I have a similar skintype (oily t-zone, normalish everywhere else). Fully matte foundations that I've tried (Revlon Colorstay (Combination/Oily formula), MUFE Mat Velvet+) have oxidized on me. I tend to prefer foundations with a satin or demi-matte finish, and use a primer underneath where I need it. I like and use Hourglass Veil Mineral and want to try out MUFE's Step 1 Mattifying Primer for across my nose and forehead, where I'm oiliest. I've also read good things about Becca's Ever Matte primer. Foundation-wise, I like MUFE Ultra HD (for this I rec pushing it on with fingers, or using a beautyblender and stippling it on; light-medium coverage with a demi-matte finish), NARS Sheer Glow (neither sheer nor glowy; another one that I rec using fingers for; medium coverage with a satin finish), Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide (reviews I've seen/read have been negative regarding the packaging, so be aware; apply with fingers; light buildable coverage with demi-matte finish), and Becca Radiant Skin Satin Finish (I've read Becca is going to discontinue this, which is a shame; available only through their site, though it's come up on Hautelook as well on occasion. When I had this, I mainly used either my fingers or a flat-top synthetic brush to buff it in (Sigma F80 in my case). Medium coverage with a satin finish). I've also mixed Ultra HD with Sheer Glow to good results. (Also, as you can tell, I'm not much into full coverage these days.) I think the Clinique associate who applied your makeup applied too much on you. Too much foundation will make you look cakey.

pizzaburger

Yeah I think that's probably what happened. And since it was my first non drugstore makeup, I wasn't too sure about it either. The brush she gave me (which I found out later) was too stiff and not loose enough, if you know what I mean.

I'll be sure to check out the other brands that you mentioned.

Oh and, I don't always put on powder after using foundation.. although it's been recommended that I do. Would it make that much of a difference if I don't? I don't like to wear as much stuff on my face, idk... makes me feel really weird lol.

pizzaburger

Like, my usual makeup routine is really simple. Just some BB cream and lipstick. I wear foundation if I go out or if I'm breaking out bad. And concealer if I need too. My skin doesn't really break out so much, it's actually very nice (if I can say that without seeming conceited lol), so I don't need to wear lot of stuff. It's just very oily.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Sometimes setting with powder helps, other times it doesn't make a difference. If you don't think you need it, skip.

So I've been told that when wearing foundation, concealer and powder especially, it's better to stay with one brand. I mean, it kind of make sense. But I like a variety of different brands and I'm not sure if it's ok to wear them all at once. I've heard it really breaks you out. Should I stay with only one makeup brand? Most my stuff comes from Clinique, Estee Lauder and Lancome. Sometimes Neutrogena too.

Also, what do you guys think of the Double Wear Foundation by Estee Lauder? What's the best foundation out there? My Clinique looks too cakey at times even tho it's liquid. More like a matte liquid. I don't really like wearing drugstore foundations.

i change mine all the time, if i find a better option then i change to that, the only thing i tend to keep the same is my foundation as im so pale and its hard to find a match in most brands, but personally i do not see an issue with changing things up a bit:) as long as youre taking off your makeup and cleansing your skin daily then its not going to make a difference:)

Did the person telling you that happen to work at that particular makeup counter? :D You can use whatever you want, whenever you want. Absolutely up to you. For skincare, I would personally give it some time to work, 30 days is good, but everything else, use it whenever!

jamienewel

New User
Personally, I DO stick with one brand but only because I've found that it's the brand that works for me. It's naturally based so my sensitive skin has been AMAZING since I started using it and I have not found a product by them that I don't like - so it just works for me to stick with one brand. I think if you're using multiple brands it might be harder to find the correct match in colour (ie. foundation to concealer), but I don't think it's necessary.

I've heard good things about the double wear foundation - but it might be on the heavier side from what I've heard (never tried it). Good luck ! :)

Latest posts