Jeffree Star Cosmetics

rinacee

Just came home to my palette. I had to pay an additional $3.31 in postage! Has anyone else had this happen?! That's on top of the $5.95!

Dolly Snow

Does anyone have a comparison between JSC mattes and Dose of Colors'? Specifically, I'm curious about Gemini vs. Truffle. Any thoughts about the formulas and how they compare generally?

In my opinion, DoC & JSC are pretty much the same formula (on me) I don't notice much difference. I have both Truffle & Gemini. Truffle is more nude, closer to Celebrity Skin. Gemini is orangey & slightly terracotta (very different).

rinacee

Okay guys. I haven't gotten to play around much with the palette since I just got it about an hour ago. I have, however, swatched with my fingers as well as a brush. I personally like to do finger swatches to get a feel for the texture. It helps me understand the types of motions and pressures to use when applying with a brush. Anyways, here are my first impressions/thoughts.
The palette itself is cute, but I do find the cardboard to feel a little cheap. Compared to the rather nice feel that the Skin Frosts have, this feels lacking. I will say, it is pretty large with a nice size mirror. The back of the palette is blank, which irks me for some reason. I just feel like the outer packaging is pretty lackluster (plus I have grown accustomed to palettes having some kind of information regarding weights/size/ingredients on the back...I like this feature). Then again, $45 for ten large pans of shadow isn't bad, and they had to cut corners somewhere. I do like that they stuck with the pink and rose gold color palette that the lipsticks have.
Okay, so the shades. There are three textures/formulas like Jeffree said: matte, frost, and glitter. While some shades feel amazingly smooth (Courtney, China White, Black Rainbow), others aren't as great (Star Power and Expensive, notably). It isn't a terribly big deal in the swatches, but considering he has been emphasizing how they feel like butter, it made me scratch my head. Not BAD by any means, but not as smooth as he is talking. The mattes feel heavenly, though. Courtney, China White, and Vanity all swatches so so nicely with a brush over primer. The ones I had issues building up with my brush were Expensive, Princess (though it is a frosty shade), Rich Bitch, and Star Power. Of all of them, Star Power feels the most dry. Compared to Urban Decay's Savage from the Electric Palette, it is quite dry and need a second pass to be opaque. Another concern I had was the amount of powder kick-up that I got when using the brush. Of note, Expensive and Black Rainbow created a mess of fall out in the palette, and on my hand Expensive was a trouble-maker.
Again, these are very brief first impressions from swatching the palette twice. I haven't used them on my eyes yet, but I definitely will tomorrow. The mattes seem like they will be a dream to work with. Based on swatches, it isn't the most unique palette, and is probably best suited for those who need a pop-of-color palette or really want it for collection's sake. I'm excited to see how they fare throughout the day tomorrow.

Last edited:

rinacee

NO FLIPPING WAY! Unacceptable!
It was pretty surprising. I felt kind of bad for e-mailing them...but...it's never happened before with Jeffree Star. I know it sounds silly in comparison to international custom fees and stuff, but I thought the $5.95 was flat rate. After it not shipping out right away/sitting in the warehouse in pre-shipment for days, it kind of made me sad to come home to that surprise.

GreenEyedAllie

In my opinion, DoC & JSC are pretty much the same formula (on me) I don't notice much difference. I have both Truffle & Gemini. Truffle is more nude, closer to Celebrity Skin. Gemini is orangey & slightly terracotta (very different).

Thank you for that! If I may pick your brain a little more...is Truffle close enough to CS that it would be an unnecessary purchase?

boschicka

It was pretty surprising. I felt kind of bad for e-mailing them...but...it's never happened before with Jeffree Star. I know it sounds silly in comparison to international custom fees and stuff, but I thought the $5.95 was flat rate. After it not shipping out right away/sitting in the warehouse in pre-shipment for days, it kind of made me sad to come home to that surprise.

I order everything online and have for years. I have never once had that happen. I wouldn't expect that from a business, especially one that only ships its items. I'm sorry that happened to you. You have every right to be upset. It's not what you agreed upon with JSC when you placed your order.

rinacee

I order everything online and have for years. I have never once had that happen. I wouldn't expect that from a business, especially one that only ships its items. I'm sorry that happened to you. You have every right to be upset. It's not what you agreed upon with JSC when you placed your order.

What she said.

(Kept hearing 'Unacceptable!' in a Dalek voice, btw :rofl:)
Hehe I haven't watched Who in ages! I need to catch up.
Yeah, I e-mailed them. I don't know if that is something you normally should e-mail about but we will see. I just felt bad because I am currently home for the summer with my parents (grad student finally enjoying my first summer break) and they were surprised with it when the post lady came :( My mom immediately said "Larry Stork didn't put enough postage on your package!" And now Jeffree Star will forever be Larry Stork to me...so at least something amusing came of it!

NaomiH

Hehe I haven't watched Who in ages! I need to catch up.
Yeah, I e-mailed them. I don't know if that is something you normally should e-mail about but we will see. I just felt bad because I am currently home for the summer with my parents (grad student finally enjoying my first summer break) and they were surprised with it when the post lady came :( My mom immediately said "Larry Stork didn't put enough postage on your package!" And now Jeffree Star will forever be Larry Stork to me...so at least something amusing came of it!

I'm sorry that happened to you but lol @ Larry Stork!

laurennnxox

Does anyone have a comparison between JSC mattes and Dose of Colors'? Specifically, I'm curious about Gemini vs. Truffle. Any thoughts about the formulas and how they compare generally?

I looooove DOC's formula. I find them similar. I think JSC stays a tiny bit tackier where as DOC really dries down. But they are pretty equitable in my book. I saw that Dolly already answered for you, but here is a swatch pic just in case. :) She said Truffle is probably closer to CS and I'd probably agree. I don't have CS though, just from images online I didn't buy because of Truffle. Upon swatching them on my hand, Truffle is more.. creamy, whereas Gemini's swatch came out more wet/liquidy. They're closer in tone than I thought, but definitely different. I remember first getting Truffle and thinking it looked so brown/nude on me. My, how my opinions have changed now! Lol. I think CS might be even more "nude" than this.

View attachment 54510

Left: Gemini / Right: Truffle

laurennnxox

Okay guys. I haven't gotten to play around much with the palette since I just got it about an hour ago. I have, however, swatched with my fingers as well as a brush. I personally like to do finger swatches to get a feel for the texture. It helps me understand the types of motions and pressures to use when applying with a brush. Anyways, here are my first impressions/thoughts.
The palette itself is cute, but I do find the cardboard to feel a little cheap. Compared to the rather nice feel that the Skin Frosts have, this feels lacking. I will say, it is pretty large with a nice size mirror. The back of the palette is blank, which irks me for some reason. I just feel like the outer packaging is pretty lackluster (plus I have grown accustomed to palettes having some kind of information regarding weights/size/ingredients on the back...I like this feature). Then again, $45 for ten large pans of shadow isn't bad, and they had to cut corners somewhere. I do like that they stuck with the pink and rose gold color palette that the lipsticks have.
Okay, so the shades. There are three textures/formulas like Jeffree said: matte, frost, and glitter. While some shades feel amazingly smooth (Courtney, China White, Black Rainbow), others aren't as great (Star Power and Expensive, notably). It isn't a terribly big deal in the swatches, but considering he has been emphasizing how they feel like butter, it made me scratch my head. Not BAD by any means, but not as smooth as he is talking. The mattes feel heavenly, though. Courtney, China White, and Vanity all swatches so so nicely with a brush over primer. The ones I had issues building up with my brush were Expensive, Princess (though it is a frosty shade), Rich Bitch, and Star Power. Of all of them, Star Power feels the most dry. Compared to Urban Decay's Savage from the Electric Palette, it is quite dry and need a second pass to be opaque. Another concern I had was the amount of powder kick-up that I got when using the brush. Of note, Expensive and Black Rainbow created a mess of fall out in the palette, and on my hand Expensive was a trouble-maker.
Again, these are very brief first impressions from swatching the palette twice. I haven't used them on my eyes yet, but I definitely will tomorrow. The mattes seem like they will be a dream to work with. Based on swatches, it isn't the most unique palette, and is probably best suited for those who need a pop-of-color palette or really want it for collection's sake. I'm excited to see how they fare throughout the day tomorrow.

WOW! Thanks for an amazing in-depth first impressions. The mattes do sound heavenly. But I still think I'm going to pass. I need to control my spending and would rather stick to his liquid lipsticks. I hope you are able to enjoy the palette and make awesome looks from it-- and I definitely hope they fix that issues about the extra postage! Total bullshit!

GreenEyedAllie

I looooove DOC's formula. I find them similar. I think JSC stays a tiny bit tackier where as DOC really dries down. But they are pretty equitable in my book. I saw that Dolly already answered for you, but here is a swatch pic just in case. :) She said Truffle is probably closer to CS and I'd probably agree. I don't have CS though, just from images online I didn't buy because of Truffle. Upon swatching them on my hand, Truffle is more.. creamy, whereas Gemini's swatch came out more wet/liquidy. They're closer in tone than I thought, but definitely different. I remember first getting Truffle and thinking it looked so brown/nude on me. My, how my opinions have changed now! Lol. I think CS might be even more "nude" than this.

View attachment 54510

Left: Gemini / Right: Truffle

Awww, thank you so much! :sunshine::thankyou: I think I may get it at some point if they restock a few other shades. I think CS is definitely more nude/less pink.

Mixxi

Does anyone know if the beauty killer palette will be available on Beautylish? I ordered once from Jeffree Star's website but got stung badly by customs charges so I'm not too keen on ordering from him directly.

laurennnxox

Awww, thank you so much! :sunshine::thankyou: I think I may get it at some point if they restock a few other shades. I think CS is definitely more nude/less pink.

You're welcome. Yeah, I've been wanting to order more. But all the shades that I want aren't in stock at once. So I'll wait. I have Kiss of Fire, Truffle, Coral Crush, Pinky Promise, and Berry Me 2. Kiss of Fire is my absolute favorite red Liquid Lipstick! Seriously. I love it so much. I have always wanted Stone, but I have Stila Bacci which I think is supposed to be a dupe, and I never reach for it. Perhaps it's the formula. I'm also considering Mood and Desert Suede and maybe one more but I can't remember the name lol.

Does anyone know if the beauty killer palette will be available on Beautylish? I ordered once from Jeffree Star's website but got stung badly by customs charges so I'm not too keen on ordering from him directly.
It should be eventually! I remember they said they would be getting it at a later date. It also was included in the email from Nils alllll the way at the bottom. Saying that when they launched the Skin Frosts they wouldn't have the BKP, but it would be coming "soon." :)

montREALady

Just came home to my palette. I had to pay an additional $3.31 in postage! Has anyone else had this happen?! That's on top of the $5.95!

What?? Why? When were you charged that? Ridic! Edit: I saw your responses.

Thanks for the palette review. I may not bother with it.

Wearing Peach Goddess today. On my face there's no peach just gold. Pretty but nothing as unique as I hoped. I found when blending it out with the Elf small stipple as I do all my highlighters, it took a bit longer than normal with PG.

20160601090859_wm.jpg

Last edited:

leonah

What?? Why? When were you charged that? Ridic! Edit: I saw your responses.

Thanks for the palette review. I may not bother with it.

Wearing Peach Goddess today. On my face there's no peach just gold. Pretty but nothing as unique as I hoped. I found when blending it out with the Elf small stipple as I do all my highlighters, it took a bit longer than normal with PG.

View attachment 54514

you beautiful human being! *faints* slaying as always :five:

rinacee

WOW! Thanks for an amazing in-depth first impressions. The mattes do sound heavenly. But I still think I'm going to pass. I need to control my spending and would rather stick to his liquid lipsticks. I hope you are able to enjoy the palette and make awesome looks from it-- and I definitely hope they fix that issues about the extra postage! Total bullshit!
I hope so too! Nothing back from CS yet. I used the palette this morning, and it is nice. Revolutionary? No. I think you will be fine passing :)
They said they would be getting it eventually!

Latest posts