Resolution LOW-BUY 2016

veronikawithak

I made my first makeup purchase in 6+ months - just finished a 100 day no buy for makeup but also clothing and skincare etc. Pretty much everything I purchased was something I planned to buy for the next season: a blush (summer color), an eyeshadow palette (summer colors), a mascara (replacement), a BB cream (summer formula), and two lipsticks (replacements).

I think I have around 25 items now including the shadows in palettes as individuals. I had about 19 before switching things out so I've gone up a little bit but obviously a pretty minimal amount and nowhere near where I was at a couple of years ago with 100+ items..

I'm settling into purchasing things seasonally and I find that gives me a few months to think about what I actually will really use and love. No impulse purchases or giving into the hype here. I keep an ongoing wishlist and often things will drop off after a week or two when I realize that I'm still alive even though I didn't buy it. :p

B

Buffy89

I made my first makeup purchase in 6+ months - just finished a 100 day no buy for makeup but also clothing and skincare etc. Pretty much everything I purchased was something I planned to buy for the next season: a blush (summer color), an eyeshadow palette (summer colors), a mascara (replacement), a BB cream (summer formula), and two lipsticks (replacements).

I think I have around 25 items now including the shadows in palettes as individuals. I had about 19 before switching things out so I've gone up a little bit but obviously a pretty minimal amount and nowhere near where I was at a couple of years ago with 100+ items..

I'm settling into purchasing things seasonally and I find that gives me a few months to think about what I actually will really use and love. No impulse purchases or giving into the hype here. I keep an ongoing wishlist and often things will drop off after a week or two when I realize that I'm still alive even though I didn't buy it. :p

The seasonal approach sounds so interesting! My biggest weakness have always been LE collections, and at the moment, I'm thinking a lot about why I like my regular perm items more. I guess I still need to work on my FOMO and the fear of a used up LE product being forever gone. I started a wishlist of perm items and now I always compare LE stuff I want to items on the list: e.g. is this LE lipstick really nicer than the perm one on the list I've been wanting for months? etc. So I am working on a tool to minimize my LE cravings / hauls further more.

jennyap

I fear I am about to blow my low-buy out of the water, although I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

Firstly, I'm super tempted by some of the Future MAC collection, specifically the mineralize blushes and Ionized lipstick (such an unusual colour, and I really like the mineralize l/s formula)

Then there is the news that the Matte2 eyeshadows are being discontinued (along with a few other shades). Although they haven't shown up in Goodbyes yet I don't want to miss out, so instead of adding them very slowly to my collection, I feel I need to fill in all the gaps now. I just wish the price reduction in the US had made its way here too!

B

Buffy89

I fear I am about to blow my low-buy out of the water, although I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

Firstly, I'm super tempted by some of the Future MAC collection, specifically the mineralize blushes and Ionized lipstick (such an unusual colour, and I really like the mineralize l/s formula)

Then there is the news that the Matte2 eyeshadows are being discontinued (along with a few other shades). Although they haven't shown up in Goodbyes yet I don't want to miss out, so instead of adding them very slowly to my collection, I feel I need to fill in all the gaps now. I just wish the price reduction in the US had made its way here too!

I caved and purchased Blanc Type and Handwritten two weeks ago. I already own Copperplate and there's 50% left. So I want to stay strong without a backup. Plus, the price in the EU really bothers me now.
Future Mac is super tough. I'm super interested in the blushes as well, but I try to convince myself to skip. I have 25 (?) blushes already, and honestly, most of them look the same once applied. But of course, the WantWantWant-voice in my head can't shut its mouth completely. I also want Cybernaut lipstick, but it is such a commitment when one already owns 50 lip products. Besides, there are some perm products on my list which I would appreciate more (Clinique Pop lippies, Chanel Stylo lipsticks). It actually bothers me a lot that I already KNOW that I will be all right without those items, but I still want them and read reviews about them etc.

Alysse011

My low buy took a hiatus for the past week and a half, but it's not nearly as bad as it could have been. I managed to resist the Bloomingdales, Shopbop, etc sales. I did buy a foundation from Nordstrom and purchased a Dior lippie while they're price matching. While I was at it I got a new top and hairbrush. From Sephora's sale I purchased a backup beautyblender, TF Golden Peach duo eyeshadow, and the Sephora brand solid brush soap. From the Ulta sale I got a new Hot Tools curling iron to replace mine that finally stopped working, some self tanner and a mit, the Philosophy Microdelivery Resurface treatment, and China Glaze Rose Among Thorns (?) nail polish. Overall I'm quite pleased. I'm especially excited for the hairbrush...I've heard such great things about the brand and it's supposed to last forever!

i thought about getting another Blanc Type and finally purchasing Kid, but I decided not to. I kind of wish that a year and a half ago when I started all of this I would have taken an inventory of products and compared it with where I'm at now. I'm sure it would be a crazy difference.

fur4elise

(
I'm officially on a no buy on color cosmetics until May. I needed a replacement for a neutral eye base and got a mini tube of UDPP which will last quite long. I got a miniature version (half of the original size) of UD Fireball eyeshadow for free and I'm really happy about it. The second thing I bought is a Zoeva foundation brush because the ones I own are shedding, so I'd like to replace them step by step.
I got some new clothes for spring yesterday (shoes, jeans, jacket, 4 tops), so the next step would be checking my closet for items I don't use any more. I'm actually in a great mood for decluttering, but I'm too busy at the moment.

No buy til May! You can do it! ~ I'm so ready to switch closets for spring but we keep getting wintery weather :( I always hold off on new wardrobe stuffs until I make my "3" piles: keep, pitch or donate. I'm amazed at how the pitch & donate piles get bigger each year. The art of the edit! ;)

the only thing I have bought the this month is the charlotte olympia retro rouge lipstick and 3 kid eyeshadows just because it's been dcd so I had to before they were completely gone :( I'm proud of myself so far but I might cave and get the otherearthly one too later if it's still available then.

Way to go on your low buy!
:icon_cheers:

Woot woot for 100 days!
:icon_cheers: Like Buffy I too like the seasonal approach! We are already doing it with our closets! I'm amazed by your minimal approach too. Much less wasteful!

The seasonal approach sounds so interesting! My biggest weakness have always been LE collections, and at the moment, I'm thinking a lot about why I like my regular perm items more. I guess I still need to work on my FOMO and the fear of a used up LE product being forever gone. I started a wishlist of perm items and now I always compare LE stuff I want to items on the list: e.g. is this LE lipstick really nicer than the perm one on the list I've been wanting for months? etc. So I am working on a tool to minimize my LE cravings / hauls further more.

Yup! Those FOMO LE things are really a weakness for me too...but I have only succumbed to MAC Future's MSF this year. I think my other weak spot is desiring all the high end goodies some of the other ladies are snapping up. Shine sparkly pretty & expensive. I have Champagne taste on a box o' wine budget! ;)

Fingers crossed the discount finds its way to you too! Maybe someone can do a CP for you?
Way to go for not pulling the trigger!
:icon_cheers: I completely ignored Sephora's spring sale! :tee:

My low buy took a hiatus for the past week and a half, but it's not nearly as bad as it could have been. I managed to resist the Bloomingdales, Shopbop, etc sales. I did buy a foundation from Nordstrom and purchased a Dior lippie while they're price matching. While I was at it I got a new top and hairbrush. From Sephora's sale I purchased a backup beautyblender, TF Golden Peach duo eyeshadow, and the Sephora brand solid brush soap. From the Ulta sale I got a new Hot Tools curling iron to replace mine that finally stopped working, some self tanner and a mit, the Philosophy Microdelivery Resurface treatment, and China Glaze Rose Among Thorns (?) nail polish. Overall I'm quite pleased. I'm especially excited for the hairbrush...I've heard such great things about the brand and it's supposed to last forever!

i thought about getting another Blanc Type and finally purchasing Kid, but I decided not to. I kind of wish that a year and a half ago when I started all of this I would have taken an inventory of products and compared it with where I'm at now. I'm sure it would be a crazy difference.

Going back to the "keep, donate or pitch" I am really glad I started with my makeup collection this winter. It has indeed help me tone down the spending this year.

Also seeing how well all you ladies are doing with lowering &/or eliminating debt is inspirational & motivating! In fact I'm due to do my taxes today. The plan is to "pay, save & treat." I only have one small cc balance left to pay off!
:icon_cheers: (lol! I love that little "touchdown" emoji!)

Pending a decent refund, the cc will get paid off. The remaining funds will go into savings minus 2 splurges, a new pair of training shoes for spring/summer and something special for hubby. I'd like to get him a monogrammed professional leather portfolio.:heart:
Shelly~ Sorry forgot to quote you. I love your FOTDs! :tee:

Carry on ladies! You are rocking it! "Score!"
:icon_cheers:

Last edited:

veronikawithak

Smart idea about the permanent item list! I should do this too. I've been pretty good with LE items lately, although FOMO used to be a huge problem for me and still is to some extent. My one LE guilty pleasure is my perfume collecting. I usually try to stay away from collecting in general but I just love them too much to stop. I have a cabinet that holds exactly 150 5mL bottles so I'm hoping I'll be able to limit it to what fits in that. I have about 60 now after 2 years of collecting so ideally that won't happen for another 3 years at least. :p LE is a major part of their production but at least they stay up for months and usually stay in stock that long. I always hated perfumes so I think once I found some I could actually wear I went a little crazy.

@fur4elise - Yay for paying off debt, saving, and treats of course. :)

fur4elise

Smart idea about the permanent item list! I should do this too. I've been pretty good with LE items lately, although FOMO used to be a huge problem for me and still is to some extent. My one LE guilty pleasure is my perfume collecting. I usually try to stay away from collecting in general but I just love them too much to stop. I have a cabinet that holds exactly 150 5mL bottles so I'm hoping I'll be able to limit it to what fits in that. I have about 60 now after 2 years of collecting so ideally that won't happen for another 3 years at least. :p LE is a major part of their production but at least they stay up for months and usually stay in stock that long. I always hated perfumes so I think once I found some I could actually wear I went a little crazy.

Wow wow wow! That is a lot of parfum! Lol! I have 2 that I've worn for years...to that end though I'm seeking a new signature scent. Something bright & fresh :)

I tried the Commodity set...no go. Hubby said at one point something "smelled like old lady..."
:plthumbsdown: He can be hilarious!

Last week I ordered the Atelier Cologne Discovery set. I like the descriptions. Maybe I'll find something just right!

The tax refund was very healthy! I'm giving hubby half for us to put a third lane in our driveway & will still have a nice nugget for savings! Here's to investing in our home:
:tee:
Speaking of taxes...how savvy for retailers to have their spring sales now! I'm so glad I waited to file thereby missing the temptation to overdo it!!! :thumbsup:

Happy Weekend Ladies!

shellygrrl

Staff member
Yesterday's FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose)
* mix of Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation - 213 + MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15
* Benefit Gimme Brow - Medium/Deep
* NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadows - Unexpected (visible crease) and Prom Night (lid)
* MAC Eyeshadows - Copperplate (invisible crease) and Typographic (outer corner)
* MAC Lipstick - Up the Amp

shellygrrl

Staff member
I like the formula. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have a shade match. And it may be a bit too similar in formula (at least to me) to MUFE Ultra HD, which I also like.

VAL4M

5ml perfume??? you purchased them in box set?? I also need to stop buying perfume, I decide to only buy 2 to 3 bottle per year. I have expensive taste right now I have Armani Prive Rouge Malachite (tuberose-jasmine) and Figuier Eden (woody-figue) on my want list, I shouldn't have smell them when I purchased Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale! :rolleyes:

veronikawithak

Wow wow wow! That is a lot of parfum! Lol! I have 2 that I've worn for years...to that end though I'm seeking a new signature scent. Something bright & fresh :)

Yes it is a lot! I like to switch it up for various seasons and occasions. :) I've got a mostly minimal capsule makeup bag and wardrobe so it's fun to have a variety of perfumes. Plus they're very small bottles and they're all the same size so they're easy to store. I never used to wear perfume - the alcohol-based ones usually give me headaches, but after so many years I'm just really enjoying being able to wear something that I'm making up for lost time.

5ml perfume??? you purchased them in box set?? I also need to stop buying perfume, I decide to only buy 2 to 3 bottle per year. I have expensive taste right now I have Armani Prive Rouge Malachite (tuberose-jasmine) and Figuier Eden (woody-figue) on my want list, I shouldn't have smell them when I purchased Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale! :rolleyes:

They're technically perfume oils. They don't have alcohol in them, just the fragrance oil, so they are much smaller. The size of standard essential oil amber bottles. You only need a couple of drops. They're purchased individually for around $17-24 but I purchased a cabinet separately for storing essential oils so they all fit in there.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Bonus mid-week FOTD from yesterday...

* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer (applied across nose only)
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (applied across nose only)
* Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer - SX01 (applied mainly in the centre of my face, plus used as a spot concealer... it's pretty much a dead on match for me.)
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15
* Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - Transparent
* NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base
* Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny
* MAC Blush - Next to Skin (used as a crease-area colour)
* Sephora Contour Waterproof Eyeliner - 01 Black Lace (upper lashline and tightline)
* Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara
* MAC Blush - Pink Cult
* Josie Maran Argan Infinity Lip and Cheek Creamy Oil - Everlasting Honey

I was downstate again yesterday. No makeup purchased this time, but I did swatch a few things.

PixieDancer

Hello Ladies! I am just checking in to see how everyone is doing!?? I am proud to have started the original low-buy thread in 2014! On a site like Specktra, I didn't think it would go over well... AT ALL! Heehee Now that it's onto its THIRD thread, it's clear that many of us are trying to love makeup but curb our over-spending and over-indulging. It's nice to see some of the same faces committed to their goals, as well as all the new faces that feel supported in their mission here. We all have set-backs. But we also have major successes! I can tell you guys I've been doing REALLY well. I have picked up a few things here and there, but overall the discipline I put into place for myself has lasted and gotten easier over time. I'm no longer lured in by LE Collections JUST for the sake of hoarding LE makeup. I'm more focused on what works for me and realizing that missing an item is no big deal! We've all seen the numerous dupes and there's ALWAYS a new LE collection right around the corner. So if you get sucked in, it never REALLY ends. It feels liberating to have broken the "LE, Hoarding" cycle! Now I just buy what I want, when I want it. If I miss something, I don't stress about it AT ALL! I will back up a few of the discontinued MAC shadows that I use consistently, but other than that, I don't see myself adding over the Spring/Summer.

After the Specktra site update, I was locked out of my account for awhile. But now that I can get back in, I'll be better about checking in on my favorite LOW-BUY TEAM!! xoxo

Last edited:

veronikawithak

Pixie! *faints* The legend herself! Welcome back!! These threads have been an epic journey over the years for sure. So awesome that you've broken the hoarding cycle. It truly never ends and it feels awesome to step off that roller coaster.

B

Buffy89

Pixie! Great to see you here. It's so great to hear that you've reached your goals. You're so right about the LE/hoarding cycle, it never ends unless one actively decides to step out of it.

I'm more and more bored of LEs. This fills me with happiness because two years ago, it was all excitement and stress.

Btw, I manged to finish two lip products this month, and it feels like a major victory. It really helped me to realize how darn long my stash is gonna last, so there's no need to save up certain favorite products for special occasions etc.

Latest posts