Resolution LOW-BUY 2016

SandraVB79

Since I bought a lot of the givenchy and dior spring collections, i am failing terribly at this low buyvthing, lol

SandraVB79

Clinique: i personally like the skin care (3 step etc) and the mascaras but am using less and less of their makeup. Not because it's bad but because other brands have better marketing, i guess, and clinique doesn't have cool seasonal collections.

I love their gwp though so i always buy their stuff to get the gwp lol.

fur4elise

Still holding strong! Not even looking at the Viseart palette special over at Musebeauty...not even going there! But love the look of the summer Too Faced Sweet Peach palette...bad Elise bad! No palettes! :devil:

B

Buffy89

Clinique: i personally like the skin care (3 step etc) and the mascaras but am using less and less of their makeup. Not because it's bad but because other brands have better marketing, i guess, and clinique doesn't have cool seasonal collections.

I love their gwp though so i always buy their stuff to get the gwp lol.
This could be me :) I used their Acne products for a long time, but now I've found products with a less harsh formula which work better for me. I still own a dozen of their mascara gwps, which are good and reliable. But Clinique doesn't symbolise "fun" or any trend to me, so I usually go for brands like Mac, UD or Benefit.

SandraVB79

This could be me :) I used their Acne products for a long time, but now I've found products with a less harsh formula which work better for me. I still own a dozen of their mascara gwps, which are good and reliable. But Clinique doesn't symbolise "fun" or any trend to me, so I usually go for brands like Mac, UD or Benefit.

I'd love to know which ones. I also find their acne/ blemish line very hard on the face.

Each year, I also buy their BCA products (same with Estee Lauder).

fur4elise

^^^^^Exactly! Use to buy the skincare products but due to sensitivity & harsh ingredients good ole Neutrogena & Paula's Choice took over long ago. AND you are both right about the fun/trend element for makeup. Those brands & many more push buzz & excitement which in turn excites us. :D

fur4elise

FOTD – Feb 4th, 2016
Daily skincare routine – Cleanse, acne medication, serums
Becca Ever Matte Primer– In oily prone areas
MAC SSF NC 42/45
MAC MSF Wonder Woman Golden Lariat (Contour, Blush & Highlight) - An oldie but goodie I love!:heart:
Ben Nye Luxury Powder
UD Vice 4 - Flame
Tarte Holidaze –Pop the Cork, Sparking Decor
MAC Liner - Teddy
MUFE Aqua Brow – I totally forgot I had this in my collection. I tend to ignore my brows. With this I take a sharp angle brush and a teeny tiny amount of gel & brush it into my brows. Love it! Long lasting!
Covergirl Plumpify Mascara Very Black
EOS Lip Balm – Tangerine – Yum!

FOTD_Feb4th_16.jpg
I am doing great digging through the drawers and making an effort to mix things up. BUT...with the images of forthcoming MAC MSF products popping up (Future MAC & another as not yet named/announced collection), I is in danger! I'm just going to keep saving my pennies til then. ;)

veronikawithak

Guess I should check in now that January has flown by! No spending on makeup, skincare, bath & body, hair care, accessories, or clothing at all last month. (Yay!) I mostly spent money on bills, food, alcohol, and experiences. And payed off a nice chunk of debt of course. :) I did also buy a couple of small things I needed like a phone charger, and I made a large (around $200) perfume order for my birthday.

For February I'm just continuing on that path. The BPTP collection should be out this weekend and I might get a few things there but after that I'm not buying fragrances for a while. They tend to slow down releasing things from March-September so I should be able to do that with no problems. I'm doing a No Buy on the other categories until April and then I'll purchase a new mascara and a few seasonal cosmetic items. Other than that, I've worked really hard at making meals at home, taking breakfast and lunch to work with me, and limiting drinks other than water. Lots of success with this, I've pretty much stopped eating out for breakfast and lunch - just working on dinners now. Would like to see my credit card debt (now at $4200) completely gone by April if I can.

Keep up the great work everyone!

B

Buffy89

I'd love to know which ones. I also find their acne/ blemish line very hard on the face.

Each year, I also buy their BCA products (same with Estee Lauder).
I use Mac Cleanse Off Oil Tranquil in the morning and evening, and as face cream Roche Posay's Effaclar Duo Plus in the morning and Avene's Triacneal in the evening. I haven't found a great clear spot treatment yet, but zinc ointment really works wonders for my skin when I apply it overnight or during daytime at the weekend.

And hey veronikawithak!!!! :wavey: nice to hear from you!
I'll post an update soon. at the moment, I'm a bit busy, but I think I will have some time for the internet on the weekend.

fur4elise

Awesome veronikawithak!

All those little things add up! I gave up my Starbucks habit last year & that alone was up to $25 a week!
:ouch: I coulda become a VIB in a snap!

Also a few years back I had the "Ahah! Time to get healthy moment!" & from then on I have brought my breakfast, lunch & snacks from home. Not only healthy for the body but super healthy for the bank account!

I still have a small cc balance from the holidays. Until that is back to zero, I'm not allowed to use it. If I don't have the cash I don't get to buy it. Strict but smart ;)

shellygrrl

Staff member
You can do it, Elise! :)

FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer (forehead and nose)
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose and where I have large pores)
* MUFE Ultra HD Foundation - 1.5 pumps of Y205 + 1 pump of 117/Y225
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15
* OCC Skin Conceal - Y0 (mixed with above concealer)
* Hourglass Arch Sculpting Brow Pencil - Ash
* Benefit Gimme Brow - Medium/Deep
* NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base
* Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny
* UD Naked 2 Palette - Verve (lid) and Tease (crease)
* Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
* The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder - 02
* MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour)
* NYX Slim Lip Liner - Black Berry
* MAC Lipstick - Up the Amp

Lip technique: I filled in my lips a bit with Black Berry, then took the pointed side of a double-ended cotton bud on my lips to take some of it off. After that I applied Up the Amp. Then blotted. I ended up taking a bit more of it off because I thought I'd made it a bit too dark for the day. (I'll take a picture of the combo tomorrow, for those interested.)

As for the Velvet Noir mascara, I ended up tossing it. It flaked on me after a few hours (something I very rarely experience with mascaras), and it loaded my lashes a bit too much for my taste (even taking product off the wand didn't do much for me), and my cheaptastic lash comb didn't do much to get rid of any clumpiness. If you want to try out a Marc Jacobs mascara, I much prefer O!Mega Volume. Just as dramatic as Velvet Noir, but less clumpy and the wand isn't overloaded with product.

B

Buffy89

Hey, everyone, so eventually I got some time to sit down and post something from my computer (my phone is ok for some quick post, but it's a bit annoying to write longer texts). It's great to see both new and old group members in here! Keep up the good work!
My January's been not really a low-buy...my no-buy which was ~the last ten weeks of 2015 went really well and I was so happy about the progress I was making. But last month, I purchased one lipstick, one blush, and a highlighter (all Mac), plus three drugstore nailpolishes, and I ordered the Gwen Stefani blush palette plus a "matching" lipstick. Furthermore, I brought all my empties back to Mac because my counter at Douglas won't participate in the program any more, so I got two more lipsticks for free.
While I do love and use the items I bought, I'm feeling miserable about the money/my low-buy, even more because there's so much nagative stuff going on at my job which I might lose btw (other...questionable... people receiving privileges, while I'm feeling kind of exploited for doing unpaid extra shifts and not being allowed to take my days off; changing structures and hierarchies...), so I don't know what's gonna happen to my life in general. All this stuff happened in the last three weeks and it's quite overwhelming. Some of my (friendly) coworkers feel exactly as frightened by those topics, so I got some affirmation that I'm not simply overreacting. Don't wanna sob and moan here because this thread is such a friendly and positive place, but again, I can clearly see the connection between me buying stuff and bad things happening around me. And especially now, I should save my pennies for rainy days.
I applied to a full time job which would be a real dream come true, so I had to purchase a set of appropriate clothes in case I'll be invited to an interview. Didn't receive an answer yet because the deadline for applications hasn't come yet. Wouldn't mind if anybody crossed their fingers for me :) At least, I'm trying to stay positive and active. As always, I can clearly see what triggers the urge to try retail therapy, so I hope I'll stay back on my feet and won't repeat that January thing so soon. I'm glad this group exists because I know that many of you can relate one way or another.

fur4elise

Hey, everyone, so eventually I got some time to sit down and post something from my computer (my phone is ok for some quick post, but it's a bit annoying to write longer texts). It's great to see both new and old group members in here! Keep up the good work!
My January's been not really a low-buy...my no-buy which was ~the last ten weeks of 2015 went really well and I was so happy about the progress I was making. But last month, I purchased one lipstick, one blush, and a highlighter (all Mac), plus three drugstore nailpolishes, and I ordered the Gwen Stefani blush palette plus a "matching" lipstick. Furthermore, I brought all my empties back to Mac because my counter at Douglas won't participate in the program any more, so I got two more lipsticks for free.
While I do love and use the items I bought, I'm feeling miserable about the money/my low-buy, even more because there's so much nagative stuff going on at my job which I might lose btw (other...questionable... people receiving privileges, while I'm feeling kind of exploited for doing unpaid extra shifts and not being allowed to take my days off; changing structures and hierarchies...), so I don't know what's gonna happen to my life in general. All this stuff happened in the last three weeks and it's quite overwhelming. Some of my (friendly) coworkers feel exactly as frightened by those topics, so I got some affirmation that I'm not simply overreacting. Don't wanna sob and moan here because this thread is such a friendly and positive place, but again, I can clearly see the connection between me buying stuff and bad things happening around me. And especially now, I should save my pennies for rainy days.
I applied to a full time job which would be a real dream come true, so I had to purchase a set of appropriate clothes in case I'll be invited to an interview. Didn't receive an answer yet because the deadline for applications hasn't come yet. Wouldn't mind if anybody crossed their fingers for me :) At least, I'm trying to stay positive and active. As always, I can clearly see what triggers the urge to try retail therapy, so I hope I'll stay back on my feet and won't repeat that January thing so soon. I'm glad this group exists because I know that many of you can relate one way or another.

Hey lady! Even though I have been an allbeit quiet member of Specktra for a few years, I am one of the newbies to Team Low/No Buy this year... I wanted to say what better a place to let out how your are feeling, good and bad. Somewhere else someone (DILLIGAF I'm pretty sure!) said to me "...this is a safe space/place" and that is true.

You are not alone in using "retail therapy," in fact many use different things (like food) to offset those ugh, bad feelings. The big thing is you recognize it and it sounds like you have a handle on it.

I'm sorry you are having a tough time of it at work. I certainly have my fingers crossed for you and hope you will get that interview. I for one believe in putting things out to the universe. If it is really something you want/need just keep asking for it. Keep your ears & eyes open for those opportunities.

p.s. Think of your recent makeup splurges like a "new wardrobe" for your face. Fresh start in fashion and beauty! Good luck! (((((big hug))))

shellygrrl

Staff member

Well, you're recognizing something that can set off retail therapy, and that's a good thing. So your next thing would be to find a different way to channel what you're feeling that doesn't involve going shopping.

Stuff crossed for you.

B

Buffy89

Well, you're recognizing something that can set off retail therapy, and that's a good thing. So your next thing would be to find a different way to channel what you're feeling that doesn't involve going shopping.

Stuff crossed for you.

Thanks for your feedback, I always appreciate it. :flowers: Yes, I think I will have to find another outlet for all the negativity. The thing is, I already thought I had managed to overcome retail therapy, so January has been a step back, and I am quite annoyed with myself because of my being so mindless. But that won't stop me from getting better again. I guess I will "appreciate " the whole mess for reminding myself how easily one can get trapped in old behaviour again.
And thank you for crossing your fingers for me :)

veronikawithak

Hi, Veronika! :wavey: Looks like you're doing very well.

:wavey: Shelly! Thanks, I feel like I made a lot of progress last year and am sort of in a semi-maintenance stage, at least with most of my shopping habits. Always enjoy your FOTDs!

Awesome veronikawithak!

All those little things add up! I gave up my Starbucks habit last year & that alone was up to $25 a week!
:ouch: I coulda become a VIB in a snap!

Also a few years back I had the "Ahah! Time to get healthy moment!" & from then on I have brought my breakfast, lunch & snacks from home. Not only healthy for the body but super healthy for the bank account!

I still have a small cc balance from the holidays. Until that is back to zero, I'm not allowed to use it. If I don't have the cash I don't get to buy it. Strict but smart ;)

Yes! I started using Mint in July of last year and couldn't believe how much we were spending on eating out. We've gotten so much better at eating healthier and have probably cut our food spending by half.

Super smart to only purchase something when you have the money for it - that's how I was brought up but when I had to take out loans for school that kind of went out the window because debt was viewed to be normal and acceptable. Seems to be less and less common to pay for things with money you actually have these days! I'm still a little bit on the credit card float - using credit cards for groceries and things over two weeks and then paying that off every paycheck along with my regular payments and interest. Making payments every two weeks instead of after every statement helps me keep on track and also helps lower the interest a little bit - and every little bit helps. I'm working on paying back a $7000+ balance from July when we moved, but I'm almost halfway and in a couple of months it should be gone when I pay off the last chunk with my tax return. At that point I'll have an emergency fund sitting in my account at all times and I hope to never have a balance past the grace period again. The amount of interest I've paid in the last 7 months was a wake up call for sure. I've been using YNAB now instead of Mint which I like a lot better and I'm finally on the right track!

All the best with applying for jobs! I hope you find a good fit soon and get out of that environment. I feel like on some level I'll never really overcome the retail therapy thing. I've been doing so well for the last couple of months and then over the weekend I felt the urge to purchase rising again. I was able to resist, but it shows me that I always have to be self-aware. It was my birthday over the weekend and I made plans with 6 of my friends - everyone cancelled. It seems to be the trend for me lately - there's always something going on so people tend to avoid committing to plans to keep their options open or make plans and then cancel. I'm trying to make sure I cultivate that inner happiness and motivation instead of relying on other people for that self-esteem boost. Definitely a work in progress.

ARmakeupjunkie

:wavey: Shelly! Thanks, I feel like I made a lot of progress last year and am sort of in a semi-maintenance stage, at least with most of my shopping habits. Always enjoy your FOTDs!

Yes! I started using Mint in July of last year and couldn't believe how much we were spending on eating out. We've gotten so much better at eating healthier and have probably cut our food spending by half.

Super smart to only purchase something when you have the money for it - that's how I was brought up but when I had to take out loans for school that kind of went out the window because debt was viewed to be normal and acceptable. Seems to be less and less common to pay for things with money you actually have these days! I'm still a little bit on the credit card float - using credit cards for groceries and things over two weeks and then paying that off every paycheck along with my regular payments and interest. Making payments every two weeks instead of after every statement helps me keep on track and also helps lower the interest a little bit - and every little bit helps. I'm working on paying back a $7000+ balance from July when we moved, but I'm almost halfway and in a couple of months it should be gone when I pay off the last chunk with my tax return. At that point I'll have an emergency fund sitting in my account at all times and I hope to never have a balance past the grace period again. The amount of interest I've paid in the last 7 months was a wake up call for sure. I've been using YNAB now instead of Mint which I like a lot better and I'm finally on the right track!

All the best with applying for jobs! I hope you find a good fit soon and get out of that environment. I feel like on some level I'll never really overcome the retail therapy thing. I've been doing so well for the last couple of months and then over the weekend I felt the urge to purchase rising again. I was able to resist, but it shows me that I always have to be self-aware. It was my birthday over the weekend and I made plans with 6 of my friends - everyone cancelled. It seems to be the trend for me lately - there's always something going on so people tend to avoid committing to plans to keep their options open or make plans and then cancel. I'm trying to make sure I cultivate that inner happiness and motivation instead of relying on other people for that self-esteem boost. Definitely a work in progress.

Happy Belated Birthday! sorry to hear that your friends cancelled on you.

B

Buffy89

Happy belated birthday!!! I hope you had a nice day although your friends cancelled. You're right, this seems to be very common nowadays, everybody wants to stay "spontaneous" (as they call it). Sometimes, other people's bad manners/behavior move me too much (I was bullied literally from 5th to 13th grade so I still sometimes find it hard to digest when friends treat me bad), but always remember that their behavoir towards me doesn't define my worth or happiness.
I also think that the danger to fall back into retail therapy will always be there. But I guess that's just normal because consumerism and pretty things are all around, and I honestly like shopping. The thing I need to work on is receiving happiness from a variety of things except shopping, and not trying to "tranquillize" negative feelings by shopping, but working on the source itself.
And thanks for wishing me good luck with the job! Haven't got a reply yet, but I'm a little nervous.

veronikawithak

Happy Belated Birthday! sorry to hear that your friends cancelled on you.

Thank you! :)

Happy belated birthday!!! I hope you had a nice day although your friends cancelled. You're right, this seems to be very common nowadays, everybody wants to stay "spontaneous" (as they call it). Sometimes, other people's bad manners/behavior move me too much (I was bullied literally from 5th to 13th grade so I still sometimes find it hard to digest when friends treat me bad), but always remember that their behavoir towards me doesn't define my worth or happiness.
I also think that the danger to fall back into retail therapy will always be there. But I guess that's just normal because consumerism and pretty things are all around, and I honestly like shopping. The thing I need to work on is receiving happiness from a variety of things except shopping, and not trying to "tranquillize" negative feelings by shopping, but working on the source itself.
And thanks for wishing me good luck with the job! Haven't got a reply yet, but I'm a little nervous.

Thank you! "Spontaneous" aka "waiting to see if something better comes along." ;)

I think making sure that your happiness comes from within yourself is one of the best things you can do.. no need to rely on unreliable people or that short-term high from the new & shiny. Still working on that but things really started to turn around for me last year when I realized that I needed to work smart, not hard. Being restrictive and trying to fit yourself into a box usually doesn't work as well as finding more positive and beneficial things to focus on.

Latest posts