Resolution LOW-BUY 2016

fur4elise

Warning ahead for the loooong post!!!

Well, here we are at mid-year…literally the last day of June. Inadvertently, I was pulling up my word document to write my next low buy entry and what popped up was my original no/low buy 2016 list…
mugshot-smiley-emoticon.gif
So I thought rather than write a post about my latest fail at no buy…I’d actually review my list. It could be worse…but my original plan did get up ended! Kind of like Abby there below, tearing apart my UT Austin pillow just for the sheer joy of destruction! Naughty puppy naughty!
Let’s review just how bad I have been!
Abby_Pillow_16.jpg
The areas I FAILED: Lipsticks and Eye Shadow
Lippies ~ Once I discovered Aquaphor, I took the plunge with a single MAC lipstick and I was doomed. Now mind you I have only purchased one single MAC lipstick this year…lol Never the less, I am many bullets in now! Thank you UD Vice, KVD, NARS, Tatcha and Guerlain!!! You so ruined my plan! I also added 4 lip liners that compliment my new lip stash.

Eye Shadow – I felt pretty good about my original purge and refurb in this area. I ditched many dead MAC pans and
ended up ordering some new pans (when they went on sale!)...
Then I kinda went CRAZY!
:loser::crazy: It started with the KVD matte L&S to “ground” all my shimmers & metallic. I also purchased the MAC Warm 15x and then the Viseart Minx. Lord stop me now! The unopened ABH MR palette I bought last week because of “the feels” is getting returned. I know I won’t use it. I did not and will not buy any of the Too Faced scented nonsense. No more eye shadow!!! The upswing is I am using everything I did purchase in regular rotation along with my existing UD Nakeds

Not Terrible, Not Great: Blushes, Powders, Highlighters, & Bronzers
Blushes ~ I did want to up my blush game and purchased some things from NARS, Benefit, & UD. I am very happy with and regularly use those items. I think I am all set on that for the rest of the year!

Powder ~ Only one powder, the LE compact from MAC x Chris Chang. This is a win win! I needed a walking around compact for touch ups…plus the packaging is very cute!

Highlighters ~
Not too terrible, but more than I intended. I purchased the Dior Glowing Gardens Nude and the LE MAC MSF Otherearthly. I did NOT buy the Becca palette everyone is in love with! When my sample of CFX drops in Candlelight runs out I will most likely buy a bottle. The stuff is liquid life in a bottle!

Bronzers ~ Only 2 purchases…that will come in the mail today & tomorrow!
The Guerlain Pause D’Ete and the Terracotta Terra Magnifica…sigh…:heart:It was love at first sight with both of these! My hope is to ditch all the subpar weirdness I have in my drawer and whittle it down to just a few quality pans.

Winning!:
Foundation & Concealer ~ Even though I am still questing for my HG, I have purchased only one bottle of foundation. I count this one as an essential success! I used to love EL Double Wear. I sampled it and I love it all over again. I may end up with a bottle of DW in my summer tan shade, but have several samples to use first.

I have had no luck finding a new concealer. I am still on the hunt. I killed the last of my YSL Touche Eclat which did a great job of just highlighting under my eyes. It lasted me almost 1.5 years…so I may replace it…If y’all have any suggestions I am all ears…as long as I can get a sample…see below ;)

Yes, I have become the “gimme a sample” girl! Before I will buy anything full size, I get a sample where I can! (Ssshhhh! Don’t tell, I have 2 Sephoras in one mall…so sometimes I double up). This has definitely saved me some money outright!

Another thing to note is that when a product has not worked for me, I have returned it! Bite lipsticks were a no go and I just mailed back the Giorgio Armani Lip Maestros I bought. At that price point, a product has to wow me. And as I said before the ABH MR palette was an impulse that really did not need to be scratched.

I have not purchased any primers, setting powders (excuse the Chris Chang compact), lip gloss, eyeliners, mascara (I have been able to get plenty of freebies), new makeup brushes or any miscellaneous beauty stuffs.

I have spent only outright cash monies in hand and have not created any new CC debt! To me that is WINNING!

Two tips for the ladies who like to save! I discovered that Jet.com carries some high end brand makeup. I purchased my Guerlain Rouge G lipsticks for a song! Also, beautytheshop.com has some good stuffs too! I purchased my Guerlain Terracotta Pause D’Ete for $52 (a $30 savings)!

Plan for the Next 6 months ~ I have one LE MAC release on my radar, Star Trek! I have been a Trekkie since I was 7 yrs. old! So at least one item of awesomeness must be had. Other than that…I keep watching the various releases…but nothing has caught my fancy, so I am hoping…praying to reel in the spending. Come on! How many red lipsticks do I really need! Wink Wink! #teambuyallthereds

Well, if you made it this far, thank you for letting me divulge my guilt and pleasure. Now that I have taken a good look, the rest of my year is committed to low buy. I’ll come here and y’all can slap me silly if I look at something sideways.

Have a happy weekend and a Happy
4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July!
299c01c3_fireworks.gif

Last edited:

VAL4M

Warning ahead for the loooong post!!!

Well, here we are at mid-year…literally the last day of June. Inadvertently, I was pulling up my word document to write my next low buy entry and what popped up was my original no/low buy 2016 list…
View attachment 55021
So I thought rather than write a post about my latest fail at no buy…I’d actually review my list. It could be worse…but my original plan did get up ended! Kind of like Abby there below, tearing apart my UT Austin pillow just for the sheer joy of destruction! Naughty puppy naughty!
Let’s review just how bad I have been!
View attachment 55022
The areas I FAILED: Lipsticks and Eye Shadow
Lippies ~ Once I discovered Aquaphor, I took the plunge with a single MAC lipstick and I was doomed. Now mind you I have only purchased one single MAC lipstick this year…lol Never the less, I am many bullets in now! Thank you UD Vice, KVD, NARS, Tatcha and Guerlain!!! You so ruined my plan! I also added 4 lip liners that compliment my new lip stash.

Eye Shadow – I felt pretty good about my original purge and refurb in this area. I ditched many dead MAC pans and
ended up ordering some new pans (when they went on sale!)...
Then I kinda went CRAZY!
:loser::crazy: It started with the KVD matte L&S to “ground” all my shimmers & metallic. I also purchased the MAC Warm 15x and then the Viseart Minx. Lord stop me now! The unopened ABH MR palette I bought last week because of “the feels” is getting returned. I know I won’t use it. I did not and will not buy any of the Too Faced scented nonsense. No more eye shadow!!! The upswing is I am using everything I did purchase in regular rotation along with my existing UD Nakeds

Not Terrible, Not Great: Blushes, Powders, Highlighters, & Bronzers
Blushes ~ I did want to up my blush game and purchased some things from NARS, Benefit, & UD. I am very happy with and regularly use those items. I think I am all set on that for the rest of the year!

Powder ~ Only one powder, the LE compact from MAC x Chris Chang. This is a win win! I needed a walking around compact for touch ups…plus the packaging is very cute!

Highlighters ~
Not too terrible, but more than I intended. I purchased the Dior Glowing Gardens Nude and the LE MAC MSF Otherearthly. I did NOT buy the Becca palette everyone is in love with! When my sample of CFX drops in Candlelight runs out I will most likely buy a bottle. The stuff is liquid life in a bottle!

Bronzers ~ Only 2 purchases…that will come in the mail today & tomorrow!
The Guerlain Pause D’Ete and the Terracotta Terra Magnifica…sigh…:heart:It was love at first sight with both of these! My hope is to ditch all the subpar weirdness I have in my drawer and whittle it down to just a few quality pans.

Winning!:
Foundation & Concealer ~ Even though I am still questing for my HG, I have purchased only one bottle of foundation. I count this one as an essential success! I used to love EL Double Wear. I sampled it and I love it all over again. I may end up with a bottle of DW in my summer tan shade, but have several samples to use first.

I have had no luck finding a new concealer. I am still on the hunt. I killed the last of my YSL Touche Eclat which did a great job of just highlighting under my eyes. It lasted me almost 1.5 years…so I may replace it…If y’all have any suggestions I am all ears…as long as I can get a sample…see below ;)

Yes, I have become the “gimme a sample” girl! Before I will buy anything full size, I get a sample where I can! (Ssshhhh! Don’t tell, I have 2 Sephoras in one mall…so sometimes I double up). This has definitely saved me some money outright!

Another thing to note is that when a product has not worked for me, I have returned it! Bite lipsticks were a no go and I just mailed back the Giorgio Armani Lip Maestros I bought. At that price point, a product has to wow me. And as I said before the ABH MR palette was an impulse that really did not need to be scratched.

I have not purchased any primers, setting powders (excuse the Chris Chang compact), lip gloss, eyeliners, mascara (I have been able to get plenty of freebies), new makeup brushes or any miscellaneous beauty stuffs.

I have spent only outright cash monies in hand and have not created any new CC debt! To me that is WINNING!

Two tips for the ladies who like to save! I discovered that Jet.com carries some high end brand makeup. I purchased my Guerlain Rouge G lipsticks for a song! Also, beautytheshop.com has some good stuffs too! I purchased my Guerlain Terracotta Pause D’Ete for $52 (a $30 savings)!

Plan for the Next 6 months ~ I have one LE MAC release on my radar, Star Trek! I have been a Trekkie since I was 7 yrs. old! So at least one item of awesomeness must be had. Other than that…I keep watching the various releases…but nothing has caught my fancy, so I am hoping…praying to reel in the spending. Come on! How many red lipsticks do I really need! Wink Wink! #teambuyallthereds

Well, if you made it this far, thank you for letting me divulge my guilt and pleasure. Now that I have taken a good look, the rest of my year is committed to low buy. I’ll come here and y’all can slap me silly if I look at something sideways.

Have a happy weekend and a Happy
4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July!
View attachment 55023

OMG BAD Dog!!! Doesn't look remorseful either just like my toddler when he is ''cleaning'' my kitchen!
I'v been bad too, I can go in the slammer with you! :p
It all started with MAC summer collection (1 highlight powder, 2 highlighter liquid, 1 bronzer, one lipliner and one lipsticks) and then I purchased one lipstick from the Fashion Pack Collection and one eyeshadow because it was the 10% off (do not remember the right %)
And I totally salivate on the ABH MR palette and the Kevin Aucoin sculpting powder (purchased Light and Medium) and then I cave for the Laura Mercier caviar palette, I also order by mistake the Tarte liquide lipstick from the Graveyard Girl Collection Texas toast I should have returned it but it is too much effort LOL
I also purchased KVD eyeliner because I finished mine and UD primer potion because i'm almost finished my old one.
With my Optimum Point (like Ulta points) I purchased from the Chanel summer collection the quad and the DUO powder- blush and NARS concealer all this cost me 40$ so I feel good about those.

NOW I should stop but I tried the sample of UD Vice lipstick in EZ and it is BEAUTIFUL but I need to wait!

And my last purchased it was my new running shoes Brooks Glycerin 14 (190$CAN) ouch but I needed new running shoes as my last one have holes in the fabric And i'm starting my Marathon training (I doing a 14 weeks program) and if you are running with old running shoes you have more chances of hurting yourself.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Half-year report...

No Buy
Pre-Made Eyeshadow Palettes - Still don't want or need any more. - None purchased!

Bronzers - Still want to work through what I already have. - None purchased!

Eyeliner Pencils - I'm okay with what I have. - None purchased!

Eyeshadow Primer - The one I have should be fine until next year. - None purchased!

Proceed with Caution
Single Eyeshadows - My eyeshadow wishlist is pretty long, and I'm fine with having a sizeable collection of these. My main thing here will be prioritizing. - The only shadow I have gotten so far this year was a freebie for my MAC anniversary (Sumptuous Olive).

Blushes - There are some that I want. Again, prioritizing will be key. - None purchased to date.

Lipstick - I just purged an oldie. I still have eyes on a few of the NARS Audacious lippies, as well as a few MAC ones. I'm also on the lookout for a warm pink lippie that isn't neon or chalky-looking (so not a pinky-coral), plus a nude (one or two of the MAC ones I'm looking at are nudes). - I purged another lippie since then and B2Med for one I wanted (Blankety). That B2M is also the only lipstick I've gotten this year.

Lipgloss - There are a couple of glosses I want. Whether I buy them or not... - Hasn't happened. I did receive a mini Josie Maran lip/cheek tint as part of that 500 point perk I got earlier in the year, but other than that... nope.

Mascara - Two tubes (different formulas) are fine. Repurchasing is fine. - I've been fine with only one mascara.

Lipliner - If I add to the stash, it's okay. If not, that's also okay. - None purchased!

Brow Products - There are things I have an eye on. As long as I don't Buy All the Brow Things... - The only brow things I've bought so far this year were a full size Benefit Gimme Brow toward the beginning of the year and my Hourglass brow pencil.

Points of Focus
Brushes - Still looking to add here. - I bought a Real Techniques Shading Brush in late May, then followed that up with a couple of Hakuhodo crease brushes.

Foundation - After my previous FOTD post, I tossed my NARS Sheer Glow. This is a part of the stash I still want to expand. - I finished the MUFE Ultra HD sample I got last summer. I tried Koh Gen Do Aqua, but I think the formula is a bit similar to MUFE Ultra HD. I may give it one more go, if I can. I'd still like at least one other foundation, plus a tinted moisturizer.

Concealer - Both undereye and spot concealing. I'm not happy with what I have now. - I've been happy with my Kevyn Aucoin SSE sample(s) I got earlier this year. I've yet to sort out the undereye situation but I've been making do with MAC Studio Sculpt in the meantime. (I think my relationship with that has been love/hate.)

Setting Powders - Not thrilled with the setting powder I do have, and I'd love to have a loose powder in my stash again. - I've since bought Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder for the undereye area and a Cinema Secrets loose setting powder for my face. I'm much happier with those. :)

Highlighers/Luminizers - Still don't have a dedicated highlighter. So yeah. - The Josie Maran highlighter I got in the point perk is pretty, but it's a smidge dark for me.

Miscellaneous
Pigments - I barely used mine last year. After some thought I've concluded I'm not a loose pigment person these days. Part of me wants to press them in the hope I'll use them more; another wants to toss them and be done with it. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do here. - Aaaaaaaand I've barely used them. Soooo...

False Lashes - I definitely want to play in this area some more! - Hasn't happened.

And my goals for the back half of the year are mostly the same as the first half...

No Buy
* Pre-made eyeshadow palettes
* Bronzers
* Eyeliner pencils
* Eyeshadow primer
* Setting powder

Proceed with Caution
* Single eyeshadows
* Blushes
* Lipstick (still want a light warm pink; currently eying MAC Fanfare)
* Lipgloss
* Mascara
* Lipliner
* Brow products

Points of Focus
* Brushes
* Foundation
* Concealer (undereye)
* Highlighter/Luminizer (something more suitable for my skintone)

Miscellaneous
* Do something with those [CENSORED] pigments!
* False lashes

And today's FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose)
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15
* Cinema Secrets Ultralucent Setting Powder - Colorless
* Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
* Benefit Gimme Brow - Medium/Deep
* NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base
* MAC Paint Pot - Nice Composure
* UD Eyeshadow - Tease (from Naked 2 palette)
* MAC Pro Beyond Twisted Lash Mascara
* NARS Blush - Sex Fantasy
* MAC Mattene Lipstick - Personal Pick

Last edited:
B

Buffy89

Your half year reports are so interesting, thanks for sharing! So, I guess I'll evaluate the last months now, too:

- base products (foundation, concealer, powder): since I never hoarded too many of those and usually stick to approved long-time favorites, I only repurchased what I needed. I picked up Fix + which was a gamechanger for how my foundation looks. Resolution: proceed the way I'm doing now.

- primers: I own a couple of Smashbox face primer minis which I got as GWPs, so I didn't need to buy any face primer. Since my Paint Pot got used up, I purchased a tube of UDPP as an eye primer. Resolution: repurchase only when I'm done with what I own, especially the face primer.

- brows: I purchased a backup pan of Mac Omega eyeshadow which is my most used brow product, but my opened pot is not used up yet. Otherwise, I'm well stocked with 1 brow pencil and 3 pomades (1 of them a sealed backup). Plan: use up what I've got, no matter what texture. Goal: owning one product for a defined look, one for a more natural look.

- mascara: I own at least 15 minis from GWPs, so I can use these up and won't purchase any mascara myself until my backups are used up. Didn't buy any.

- eyeshadow singles: I've noticed that I'm often too convenient to have a look at my eyeshadow singles and combine looks. I'm still not sure about depotting everything or simply panning them to get rid of them on the long run. Unless the shade is super special, I won't purchase any singles in pots. Pans are all right since I can make my own custom palette. In the last 6 months, I bought 4 Mac pans and made a quad. Plan: avoid purchases; pan as many as possible.

- eyeliner: I'm trying to use up most of my stash at the moment. So I'm on a no-buy in this area to reach my goal of one black gel, one black pencil, one brown pencil and one green/teal liner.

- pre-made palettes: I did not purchase any pre-made palettes since last December when I ordered the UD Gwen palette. I'm panning my Naked 2 at the moment, and I've noticed that I enjoy pre-composed combos instead of having to pick single shadows early in the morning. But since I own more eyeshadows than one person needs, I want to be very picky purchasing new palettes. I want to be sure I'll fully use all of the shades (I destashed 2 pre-made Mac quads lately because I only liked one shade in each which annoyed me way too much).

- blushes: well, this area was kind of a failure. I purchased 3 blushes, all (!) of them peach toned, and the UD Gwen palette. To be honest, I wouldn't need more than one pink, one peachy, one brownish pink blush. Resolution: no-buy if my willpower is strong enough; using what I own.

- highlighters: I purchased 2 this year so far. Like the blushes, I did not need them at all. I know I'll want one or two of the Extra Dimension highlighters Mac will sell in fall, but I must be very careful what I'll actually purchase since I don't really see different effects using different products.

- lip gloss: I decluttered a lot of glosses and don't like the way glosses feel on the lips, their weartime, the fact that my hair gets caught on my lips, etc. -> no-buy.

- lip liner: didn't purchase any in 2016. I'm using the 6 liners I own and I don't need more color options.

- lipstick: the worst area of my collection. I purchased three bullet lipsticks and received three because of back 2 Mac. Looking at my former lipstick purchasing behavior, I can say that I've made great improvements, but since I do own way too many lippies, I'm trying to go on a super low buy. A no-buy would be kinda impossible because I love lipstick too much, lol, but I want to be very, very picky and mindful.

- cream blushes and shadows: I don't really use my cream products and they dry out/get spoiled too soon. I do like how cream blushes look on me, so I think that I could possibly purchase a new one one fine day when I've successfully battled my collection of powder blushes (which means, in 5 years). Absolute no-buy.

- nailpolish: I destashed a lot of polishes and bought maybe 5 new bottles, all of them really cheap drugstore brands like Essence. I'm trying to stop purchasing more, but I don't think that a 2-Euro-bottle every two months will ruin my success. I used to buy around 5 polishes (mostly Essie) a month two years ago, but now, I've noticed that I don't need pricey, hyped Chanel or OPI/Essie polishes to have a nice manicure and nowadays, I won't purchase any polish that is more expensive than 3 Euros. Plan: destash more polishes and sell them at the flea market in September; no-buy/low-buy.

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose and under the eyes)
* mix of KGD Aqua - 012 + 013 or 113 + MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Benefit Gimme Brow - Medium Deep
* MAC Paint Pot - Tailor Grey
* MAC Pigment - Mauvement
* UD Eyeshadow - Tease (from Naked 2)
* MAC Pro Beyond Twisted Lash
* MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour)
* MAC Lipstick - Feed the Senses

fur4elise

Wow! Thank you ladies for sharing your mid year updates too! I wasn't trying to start a thread but it is nice to see where you all are at as well with under 6 months of the year left...lol

To that end, I can say I have been cosmetic purchase free for 13 days...I cannot say beauty purchase free, as I needed some replace some hair products. But I was shop saavy, used $8 in drugstore.com dollars and got a couple bogo 50% off products bringing my order to just $21 ;) I bought a new de-tangling hair brush and some Nourishing Coconut for curly hair products by OGX. I:heart:all things coconut right now!

I am 100% happy I dodged the CL Loubilaque bullet. The expensive (aka way overpriced for what it is) new lip product is not getting the best reviews.
I still have the CL Rouge Louboutin Satin lippie on my lust list, and sitting in a Saks cart with 15% off. :tiptoe:
I have until July 31st to pull the trigger on that...I have not earned it yet ;) Maybe if I am a good girl and go for another 3 weeks cosmetic purchase free...I still have plenty of the foundation sample and the CFX sample to last that long...negating the "need" to purchase.

Still I cannot help oohing & aahing over all the newness coming out for fall & holiday...the Hourglass LE Surreal Light palette, the NARS x Sarah Moom Dual Intensity eye & blush palette, the Becca Rose Quartz highlighter...
sigh, it never ends! I just add things to my lust list as I hear about them.

Shelly ~ I laughed out loud when I read this "* Do something with those [CENSORED] pigments!" LOL! I did a 90% purge on those suckers! I did keep my MAC crushed pigment collections (Stacked I, II, Surf the Ocean...) coz I love them as I can use those both wet & dry...and thank you for the reminder to pull those puppies out and use them!

Happy Monday! :)

Last edited:
B

Buffy89

I am 100% happy I dodged the CL Loubilaque bullet. The expensive (aka way overpriced for what it is) new lip product is not getting the best reviews.

[/COLOR]

Have you watched KC's latest Anti Haul video? She's talking about the Loubilaque glosses there. Of course, you should do what makes you happy, but maybe it's helpful. However you'll decide, it's super entertaining and funny.
She also mentions the Vice lippies, which I want to have a look at when I'm at a counter in a few weeks. Although I do get the point of her argumentation, I still want at least one, lol. I cut my list down to Ravenswood or Backtalk. Maybe, it's gonna be my treat when I will be on vacation.

fur4elise

Have you watched KC's latest Anti Haul video? She's talking about the Loubilaque glosses there. Of course, you should do what makes you happy, but maybe it's helpful. However you'll decide, it's super entertaining and funny. She also mentions the Vice lippies, which I want to have a look at when I'm at a counter in a few weeks. Although I do get the point of her argumentation, I still want at least one, lol. I cut my list down to Ravenswood or Backtalk. Maybe, it's gonna be my treat when I will be on vacation.

Great minds Buffy! LOL! I love her! I watched it last week and commented about dekrappifying my entire lip collection earlier this year! ;) ~ I have only purchased 3 UD Vice and will not get anymore until they are on sale and even then only if the colors are unique to what I already have and I will absolutely wear them. Ravenswood is on my list too!

I was on the fence about the CL until the negative reviews started coming in on quality and performance! Not worth $85 honey! I came down off the fence right quick!

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer
* Kevyn Aucoin SSE - SX01 (applied only to the centre of the face and as a spot concealer)
* MAC Lipstick - Blankety

fur4elise

FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer
* Kevyn Aucoin SSE - SX01 (applied only to the centre of the face and as a spot concealer)

What do you think of the MAC Beyond Twisted Mascara? I am also intrigued by the new InstaCurl. I love my Diorshow Overcurl Sample and it is just about kaput! As much as I love it, I'm not sure I love it for $29.50. While I have other samples to kill, I would love to find a less expensive alternative that does what the Dior does...big dreams big dreams...lol!

shellygrrl

Staff member
I really like it! :) Super black, I don't experience flaking, the formula's not too wet or dry for my tastes. Also: tiny(ish) wand, which I don't mind, either.

Another inexpensive fave is Bare Minerals Flawless Definition ($18). Plastic cone-shaped wand, also not too wet or dry. Good one if you just want defined lashes and aren't too concerned about adding volume or length, or you want something simple for everyday. (I think Pro Beyond Twisted is blacker, though.)

fur4elise

Guerlain_Gina_3_July16_16.jpg
Happy Friday Ladies!
Well I can report I truly had a low buy from July 11th to today!
:catdance:

depositphotos_60199401-Healthy-white-shiny-tooth.jpg
I needed to buy some new whitening gel for my teeth. I whiten right after I get my teeth cleaned (3x's a year) and my appointment is next Tues. I use the Philips Zoom ACP 22%. I purchase my from sellers on eBay and can get a year supply for around $30. 2 hours of wear total remove all coffee/tea stains. I may not have the straightest teeth, but I do my best to take good care of them. I also ran out of my Skinceuticals C+E Ferulic serum. This too I buy on eBay in sample sizes.

I made no makeup purchases until today. I was all gung ho for the exclusive Nordstrom Charlotte Tilbury Dolce Vita palette...and it was already sold out when it went open for sale today. :mad: Guess, I really didn't need it...

I admit to the "feels" for the new Marc Jacobs blushes. BUT at $42 bucks a pop I just could not bring myself to spend the money. So, I went back to my must list and decided to go ahead and pick up a few Ben Nye Blushes I have been wanting. I find them to be good quality and nicely pigmented. I ordered 5 pans of matte finish colors I know I will wear regularly and will work with all the shine and shimmer I already have (Benefit, MAC MSF, NARS, etc.). Plus I already have a new empty palette that has been sitting in my kit. Camera Ready Cosmetics gave me a 10% coupon, so my order came to a total of $40.50 with free shipping! *fist pump* 5 pans for under the price of 1 MJ blush!!! Now that's a splurge I can live with. Plus, most of the time I have a real beef with pre-made palettes! More often than not, there are too many duds or colors I will never use based on my skin color (e.g. too light, lots of pinks & roses I do not prefer or like!). I am more of a neutral, peach, coral girl!
BenNye_Blushes_July16.jpg

I have decided on one more purchase this weekend and that will be the
ABH Sun Dipped Glow palette.
[UPDATE Friday Evening: No go on Sun Dipped. Not in store and I finally allowed myself to swatch the Becca JH Palette (I refuse to say her name out loud). I concede defeat.
:eek:It is an awesome palette! Sold out online with only a few left at either of my Sephora stores. I went ahead and bought it.]

I have not set foot in a Sephora since the end of last month, I think...Yeah...I have not been. So, I'll go see & swatch the shiny new, beg for some samples (if the new UD foundation is out
(not available yet), try another concealer (got a teeny sample of Too Faced BTW), etc.) & probably pick that one palette up. All in all pretty darn good for almost 2 weeks. And nothing on the horizon until next month when the MAC Star Trek stuff is released...even then the MSF swatches have been iffy. No other "feels." Very happy with all my lipsticks! :heart: Digging deep into my drawers and using things in novel & new ways.

Oh, I posted Bossman & I in the little car because it may be the last time we ride in it for Saturday date night. He is going to sell it and use the funds towards a new business venture. I iz so sad!
:mecry:BUT he is a smart man by using assets he already has versus debt. I am excited for him and I will also get to be part of the new venture. If all goes well, maybe we'll get a new little car in a couple years. :thumbsup:

I hope you are all doing well and enjoying the summer! My students return in just over 5 weeks! Gack!!! Time is just flying by!

Have a fabulous weekend! x0x0x

Last edited:

Prettypackages

I need to whiten my teeth again. I have been looking at the Ben Nye blushes.. I probably have more than enough right now though .

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer (t-zone only)
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Kevyn Aucoin SSE - SX01
* Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Prom Night (lid)
* MAC Eyeshadows - Copperplate (transition) and Shale (crease)
* Prestige True Kohl Kajal - Matte Black (halfway across upper and lower lashlines, smudged out)
* MAC Blush - Taupe (bronzer placement)

Prettypackages

How do you like the setting powder? I tried one of their illuminating powders and I loved it. Gave a very nice glow to the skin without a greasy or glittery look. The powder seemed to melt in the skin. Yes I know this is a low buy thread. I just had to share. LOL

jennyap

I'm posting a bit belatedly, but I kinda broke my no-buying streak in June. I caved on the latest Huggables release - picked up Bonsai Bloom which is a great MLBB shade, and Cantonese Carnation, which I've worn loads.

I also got two of the Tendertalk Balms (Side Dish and Candy Wrapped) and I have to say I adore the formula, they do great things for my lips. I'm even contemplating a backup if anywhere here still has them in stock.

My half-year review is not too bad. My target for the year is no more than 30 items total, and I'm at 19 so far, including the 4 lip products just mentioned. Lipsticks are my main weakness, so I need to hold back. I was planning to try the Nars Audacious lippies this year, but I'll only do that now if I get to December without any more lipstick purchases.

I also hit MAC eyeshadows kinda hard, picked up some discontinued shades and all the remaining Matte2 shades (including backups of Copperplate and Blanc Type, which are staples for me) - total of 10. Again that's pretty much my limit.

Even though I've reached nearly 2/3rds of my limit in 1/2 a year, I don't think I'll have any problem staying within it overall. MAC fall collections can be tricky for me, and some of the holiday sets, but I'm feeling strong right now :)

fur4elise

I need to whiten my teeth again. I have been looking at the Ben Nye blushes.. I probably have more than enough right now though .

How do you like the setting powder? I tried one of their illuminating powders and I loved it. Gave a very nice glow to the skin without a greasy or glittery look. The powder seemed to melt in the skin. Yes I know this is a low buy thread. I just had to share. LOL

*chuckle* I know it was with you I was so adamant about not buying the JH palette...but it is goodness! I've decided it to just call it the "BECCA Just Heavenly" Palette ;)

As to Ben Nye, Cinema Secrets & Mehron, I really do find these theatrical brands to be really good. No. Not as glamorous, but the products are often more pigmented and/or at an awesome price point for the amount of product you get. I am curious about the CS powders you mention. Which illuminating one do you use?

Teeth whitening ~ I have tried both Opalescence and the Philips. I find the Philips does a superior job. I go with a higher percentage ACP gel to lessen time of use. The reason for that is if I wear a lower percentage for longer periods of time, my teeth/gums do get really sensitive. :D

shellygrrl

Staff member
Only makeup-related purchase in July for me: Kiss Short Trio Lash starter kit. The main reason? 12 X-Short clusters! (They're about the same length as my natural lashes.) That said, the included tweezers are also pretty stellar.

On to today's FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer (forehead and nose)
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose)
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Kevyn Aucoin SSE - SX01
* MAC Eyeshadows - Malt (above crease) and Satin Taupe (lid)
* NARS Satin Lip Pencil - Rikugien

Sad news: I experienced eyeshadow creasing after only a few hours, and I typically don't get creasing after such a short period of time with the NARS e/s primer. I'm not sure if it was human error on my part (not using enough, or using too much, primer) or if this means I'll have to break my eyeshadow primer no-buy for the year and get a new one. Hrm.

B

Buffy89

Hey everyone, I guess it's time for my July roundup. Again, I think I did ok, but there's always room for improvement. Since my current blemish concealer and foundation were almost used up, I ordered both a Mac Studio Finish concealer (I chose the refill version plus a 2-pan palette) and a new foundation. I've used Mac foundation for years, and I was super curious to try UD's Naked skin, so I bought a bottle now that I had the opportunity to try something new. I really like it so far, but my skin is quite clear at the moment. Hopefully, it'll perform well when I get breakouts.
I was a bit naughty and picked up two lipsticks (Mehr and Bonsai Bloom) at the Mac counter, too. I'm really enjoying those although I do know that I should slow down my lipstick purchases. While I'm okay with not buying any other type of product and got the opinion that I've reached a point where I can happily skip blush or eyeshadow purchases (ALL blush colors I like look the same on me to be honest), lipstick's still my Kryptonite.
I decluttered around 20 nail polishes, but my stash is still very big. Now, I can see even more clearly that I tend to use the same old colors over and over again, and no one's able to see a diference between the 10 shades of burgundy polish I own when they look at my hands. I'm slowly decluttering my other makeup again. The hardest part are eyeshadows because there are some colors I do love on others (which means, I love the idea of certain colors and looks), but which don't look as good on me. E.g., all kinds of green and blue turn "dirty" on my eyes. I've also noticed that my love of purple shadows has faded. Because some products are too used to be sold, I'm contemplating taking them for b2m when I'm in Berlin in September - my counter doesn't do b2m any more, so I need some strategy since I can never know when I'm gonna be at a counter again, lol. Until that trip, I plan to purchase no makeup at all (preferably no clothes as well) so I can treat myself with a "real" big city shopping spree without a bad conscience. I'm planning to pick up 1-3 UD products, too, because I don't have a counter here. It's not meant to be a shopping-only trip since I'm planing to do some of the sightseing I haven't done yet and wanna revisit some museums, go to our favorite cafes etc., but still. Anyway, I think it realy helps me to save money / stay away from unnecessary purchases when I've got a goal I can work towards to.

Latest posts