Resolution LOW-BUY 2016

Prettypackages

this is when we need the like button!
I imagine there are those angry about persistent cultural appropriation (it isn't just Vibe Tribe packaging et al) AND the lack of clean water AND suicide epidemics in Native communities. People can be concerned about multiple things.

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15
* Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
* Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil - Ash
* NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base
* Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny
* Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara
* NARS Blush - Sex Appeal
* MAC Lipstick - Viva Glam II

B

Buffy89

Hey everybody, how are you doing? I'm just hopping in to say hi. I've been doing quite well. For summer, there are only a few items on my wish list so far (1 or 2 LE Huggable lipcolors in June and maybe one of the new Mac lip balms, but at least they're perm). In the last weeks, I've noticed even more how similar a lot of newly released products are to existing ones, so I'm a bit bored (in a good way) of new releases. There are some other things I'd like to have, but they're all "complexion"/base products, which has never been a trouble spot for me (Fix+, Naked Foundation and Concealer when my current Mac ones are used up, Kryolan camouflage for my blemishes). I'm planning on decluttering my polish collection and to get rid of colors I do like in the bottle, but never really wear. Besides, I've finished three lip products in April/May which makes me super happy! I can finally see progress, like eye pencils getting shorter or pans being hit, which gives me new motivation.

edit: forgot to mention that I really appreciate your FOTD posts, @shellygrrl!

devonnaire

Hi! I've mostly been a lurker here but I've been trying to buy less makeup for the last few months or so, and for the most part it has gone pretty well. The last purchase I feel guilty about was the last Viseart palette that came out, which I bought partly because its so pretty and also because I have the rest of them and I wanted them all :)
The only (small) problem I've been having lately is I have a tan so none of my foundations/concealers etc match right now. So I bought some drugstore concealer in a darker shade and mix it to match. I miss my NARS but I don't want to spend that much money when it won't match me in a few months.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Hey everybody, how are you doing? I'm just hopping in to say hi. I've been doing quite well. For summer, there are only a few items on my wish list so far (1 or 2 LE Huggable lipcolors in June and maybe one of the new Mac lip balms, but at least they're perm). In the last weeks, I've noticed even more how similar a lot of newly released products are to existing ones, so I'm a bit bored (in a good way) of new releases. There are some other things I'd like to have, but they're all "complexion"/base products, which has never been a trouble spot for me (Fix+, Naked Foundation and Concealer when my current Mac ones are used up, Kryolan camouflage for my blemishes). I'm planning on decluttering my polish collection and to get rid of colors I do like in the bottle, but never really wear. Besides, I've finished three lip products in April/May which makes me super happy! I can finally see progress, like eye pencils getting shorter or pans being hit, which gives me new motivation.

Thanks! :)

And yay on your progress! :rocker:

fur4elise

Hi! I've mostly been a lurker here but I've been trying to buy less makeup for the last few months or so, and for the most part it has gone pretty well. The last purchase I feel guilty about was the last Viseart palette that came out, which I bought partly because its so pretty and also because I have the rest of them and I wanted them all :)

The only (small) problem I've been having lately is I have a tan so none of my foundations/concealers etc match right now. So I bought some drugstore concealer in a darker shade and mix it to match. I miss my NARS but I don't want to spend that much money when it won't match me in a few months.

Welcome welcome! I succumbed to the Viseart Minx palette last month. ;) Because the pans pop out, I was able to incorporate it right into my mixed custom e/s palette. I love it!

I too, like both of you, struggle with my summer tan & matching up foundation. I already have MAC SFF that will work for the summer and believe it or not so does L'oreal True Match. So I am set...but...for some reason I am still fixated on finding my holy grail.
:shakehead::crazy: I love my ELDW but it is very neutral and it is kind of heavy for summer. But that foundation lasts and lasts from morning to night! I will have to get a darker shade in order for it work once I am tan. Then today, I pulled out a Lancome foundation sample and know I can get a darker shade to make that work for summer, but I am not sold it is a good formula match yet...ya know oilies and oxidation.

So yeah, I have been mia for a bit...I was joking with someone about being Naughty with NARS when the beauty.com sale hit. At least I saved 20%. I ended up purchasing 2 NARS dual intensity blushes and the LE lip cover Do Not Disturb, and the UD GS blush palette. I am happy with all of them and have been using them regularly over the past month. And the last purchase was an UD Alice lipstick (getting returned, the metallized formula does not work for me) and a KVD liquid lip. I am on a serious red kick of late...#teambuyallthereds

I skipped Vibe Tribe and all the other odd releases MAC has going on. Nothing really catching me. lol I am not compelled by the current Sephora samples offering or the whole Becca x JH release. She just rubs me the wrong way and I really don't want a collection with her name on it. If Becca did a stand alone, I'd be in trouble.

The big doozy on the horizon is the Urban Decay Vice lipstick release next week. However I have a very short lust list of 6 or 7 colors...4 of which are...RED! Since the release is permanent, I may only get a couple for now and wait for things to go on sale.

Yeah, so in a good place. No new CC charges, everything paid for with saved pocket money and not really seeing any major purchases on the horizon. Just using what I have...shopping my collection.

Abby_E_May_16.jpg
Have a great Memorial Day Weekend! Puppy and I will be squeezing in a couple longer runs...We are up to 2.5 miles now. :thumbsup:

B

Buffy89

Welcome welcome! I succumbed to the Viseart Minx palette last month. ;) Because the pans pop out, I was able to incorporate it right into my mixed custom e/s palette. I love it!

I too, like both of you, struggle with my summer tan & matching up foundation. I already have MAC SFF that will work for the summer and believe it or not so does L'oreal True Match. So I am set...but...for some reason I am still fixated on finding my holy grail.
:shakehead::crazy: I love my ELDW but it is very neutral and it is kind of heavy for summer. But that foundation lasts and lasts from morning to night! I will have to get a darker shade in order for it work once I am tan. Then today, I pulled out a Lancome foundation sample and know I can get a darker shade to make that work for summer, but I am not sold it is a good formula match yet...ya know oilies and oxidation.

So yeah, I have been mia for a bit...I was joking with someone about being Naughty with NARS when the beauty.com sale hit. At least I saved 20%. I ended up purchasing 2 NARS dual intensity blushes and the LE lip cover Do Not Disturb, and the UD GS blush palette. I am happy with all of them and have been using them regularly over the past month. And the last purchase was an UD Alice lipstick (getting returned, the metallized formula does not work for me) and a KVD liquid lip. I am on a serious red kick of late...#teambuyallthereds

I skipped Vibe Tribe and all the other odd releases MAC has going on. Nothing really catching me. lol I am not compelled by the current Sephora samples offering or the whole Becca x JH release. She just rubs me the wrong way and I really don't want a collection with her name on it. If Becca did a stand alone, I'd be in trouble.

The big doozy on the horizon is the Urban Decay Vice lipstick release next week. However I have a very short lust list of 6 or 7 colors...4 of which are...RED! Since the release is permanent, I may only get a couple for now and wait for things to go on sale.

Yeah, so in a good place. No new CC charges, everything paid for with saved pocket money and not really seeing any major purchases on the horizon. Just using what I have...shopping my collection.

View attachment 54432
Have a great Memorial Day Weekend! Puppy and I will be squeezing in a couple longer runs...We are up to 2.5 miles now. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you're doing well :sunshine:I've got the UD Gwen palette, too, and I really like it. I've already read about your great lip-pocalypse with those new vice lippies! They're really interesting and if I could get the ones I want from a good fairy or so, there'd be at least 10-15 shades I'd like. (Un?)Fortunately, I've got no counter around to swatch them in person. In July, I'll probably go to Berlin or Hamburg to watch a musical, so there might be a chance to visit a counter. I don't own a lot of UD products because I just don't like to order them without trying them out first.
I'm quite glad, too, that Mac collections don't really catch my eye at the moment, since they once were my biggest buyallthethings problem. I did pick up the Fix + a few days ago and it was worth it! Hello glowy, un-cakey skin. It feels good that some "boring" perm products give me more joy than hyped LE stuff.
Puppy is super cute! Have a great weekend everybody.

And welcome devonnaire! It's always cool to see some new faces around here.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Had a little purge and made a very small MAC order to wrap up May.

The purge: three nail polishes (all Essie) and MAC Woodwinked. I've also got enough items now to do a B2M, as I'm saying goodbye to VG2 (I wore it last week and later that night, I had a breakout on my lip. Not good.) and Light Year MSF. (Yeah, I know! But I haven't worn it much lately, and while I love the colour, I'm not a fan of shimmery blushes anymore, and this has gold shimmer particles.) And I've had Painterly paint pot set aside for this, too.

The order: I got their new(ish) mascara (Pro Beyond Twisted Lash) as it's mascara replacement time for me, and I wanted to try something new. May was also my MAC anniversary, so I opted to choose a free eyeshadow from their bestsellers and went with Sumptuous Olive.

Also: Hi, devonnaire! :wavey:

shellygrrl

Staff member
Yesterday's FOTD...

* mix of MUFE Ultra HD - 117/Y225 + MAC Face and Body - White
* Benefit Gimme Brow - Medium/Deep
* MAC Eyeshadows - Omega (transitiony shade) and Mystery (outer "v"/slightly into the crease)
* MAC Pigment - Mauvement (lid)
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadows - mix of Unexpected and Barcelona Beach (blending colour)
* NARS Blush - mix of Sex Appeal and Sex Fantasy
* NYX Slim Lip Pencil - Baby Pink

fur4elise

Happy Friday Ladies! :sunshine:Hope all is wonderful & warm where you are!

In my world, not much is happening. We celebrated my hubby's kids' birthdays over the holiday weekend. I made my now famous Cioppino (Husband prefers to call it Bouillabaisse.), a seafood stew. Either way it was very tasty and everyone enjoyed it.
Cioppino_1.jpg Cioppino_2.jpg

On the beautystuffs front, I am not feeling fussed about much as Marsha likes to say. ;) The UD Vice lippies came out but a few of the colors I am considering appear to be Sephora exclusives...so, eh, meh, no rush. I've been getting poked with the FOMO feels on the Becca x JH palette, but I have been getting good and glowy with everything I already have (NARS, Dior, MAC MSF, the Balm). I ignore the feels and pull something else out of my drawer and go "Oooh...aah...I forgot about this..." So no purchases this week. Nothing ordered online. It's all good.

Now last week, I did purchase my first NARS Audacious (Lana) and that is next in rotation for date night. :heart: You guessed it...RED! ;)

Truth is, I could have waited on that, but I really like my new MUA friend at SiJCP. She is fun to chat with and she gives me samples without batting an eye. So in my supportive way, I end up buying an item or two. Along with the the NARS I purchased the KVD Quad in Rust. It fits in perfectly with the full KVD L&S palette and my assorted MAC, UD, theBalm, Viseart shadows. I am completely on a warm kick.

I'll tell you what, getting samples saves a ton of money! I used to feel guilty asking, now I won't buy full size if I cannot try (I'm talking about liquid/cream things like primer, foundation, concealer, & now these enhancing liquids.) For example, I really wanted to get one of the Becca Skin Perfectors. Yaaaasss, mix it in and get the foundation good and glowy! No go! I looked like an oil slick within a few hours. So it feels
good not wasting money on something that will ultimately end up in a drawer. I just keep adding and taking things off my lust list as I test things. It's kind of fun even when a product is a fail.

Well, that's all she wrote for this week. I really want to start working on my studio/office/closet room.
It's time for an update. I need to paint, get some new storage and a bureau or two to replace my old IKEA Antonius system. It also means more dekrappification which is good! I finally dropped off my 3 huge donation bags to Goodwill! It is the perfect ongoing summer project for when the man is working out of town. Now just to plot and plan it out. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Abby_Treadmill_June_16.jpg
My trusty workout partner encouraging me to walk uphill faster!

Last edited:

shellygrrl

Staff member
Aww, your doggie/workout partner! :D

(edited to add...)

I ended up rounding out May with a brush purchase (RT Shading, to use with my paint pots), and June has started with a need/want: loose setting powder. I chose one by Cinema Secrets (available through Sephora). For now, I think that may be my only actual makeup purchase for the month (I'll be sending off my Back 2 MAC stuff on Monday), because I want to really hone in on brushes, at least for a little bit.

Last edited:

shellygrrl

Staff member
Yesterday's very rushed FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny
* MAC Pro Beyond Twisted Lash Mascara (first impressions - was very impressed!)
* MAC Blush - Taupe (as a bronzer)
* Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm (stick version)

jennyap

Yesterday's very rushed FOTD...

* MAC Pro Beyond Twisted Lash Mascara (first impressions - was very impressed!)

Good to know. I have *no* business buying mascara any time soon but once I've run down my stock I'm potentially interested in this, so it would be great to hear a fuller review after you've been using it for a while.

Nothing to report here in buying terms, which is good :)

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Kevyn Aucoin SSE - SX01
* Cinema Secrets Ultralucent Setting Powder - Colorless
* MAC Eyeshadows - Omega (crease), Sumptuous Olive (lid), Typographic (outer corner)
* MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour)
* NARS Satin Lip Pencil - Lodhi

fur4elise

E_C_Gridlife_2016web.jpg

Just swinging on by to say hi!

We were talking earlier this year in the thread about doing more fun stuff and creating memories. This is me & Bossman at
Gridlife Midwest 2016 Car Festival & Track Battle in South Haven, Michigan! We have a 2001 Honda s2000 and I have not seen so many in one place! Super cool event if you are into tuner cars, racing, drifting! Once I have all my video edited I'll be sure to post a link. Now I gotta keep an eye on the man, as he may actually want to participate next year...well truth be told, I may want to too...need for speed!

I think since my last post I was good until Wed or Thurs last week. I went ahead and ordered (3) new Vice lippies from Sephora. Primarily to get the 24 shade sampler & redeemed 100 points for the Benefit Roller Lash Mascara.

On the flip side, I completely resisted the Gilt $30/$80 purchase at Bobbi Brown. Truth was I could have afforded it and do not have any BB products in my stash...but I just wasn't moved.

I have also realized in my great HG foundation quest, that my EL Doublewear is the BOMB! Nothing has even come close...maybe Lancome, but the DW just works. So I think as I tan over the summer, I will get some samples of darker shades of DW to blend into my base shade. If it ain't broke...

I am still lusting after Christian Louboutin and the new Loubilaque coming out, essentially a liquid lipstick. So I have added it to my :heart: lust ultimate splurge list. In the meantime, I am looking forward to the new UD lippies and will wear them with joy!

Still training & running. I've added sprints to some of my cardio sessions and love it. I am down 7#s! yay yay yay! Puppy continues to urge me on with various squeaky toys! :D
Abby_PinkBone_June_16.jpg

Have a great week ladies!

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer (across nose and forehead)
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose)
* MUFE Step 1 - Hydrating Primer (below cheekbones)
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Cinema Secrets Ultralucent Loose Powder - Colorless
* Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown
* MAC Eyeshadow - Shale
* MAC Pro Beyond Twisted Lash Mascara
* MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour)
* Benefit Hoola
* MAC Lipstick - Blankety

A so-so makeup day. Shale applied patchily on my lid (I used a new Hakuhodo J5523 to apply). It could be some sort of human error on my part, though. On the other hand, I do like Blankety (received via B2M). I'm also into the MAC mascara. *nods*

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer
* MUFE Ultra HD - mix of Y205 and Y225/117 (my little sample thingie of the latter shade is toast, now)
* Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil - Ash
* Cinema Secrets Ultralucent Setting Powder - Colorless
* MAC Eyeshadow - Copperplate (crease)
* mix of MAC Eyeshadow - Typographic + Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Glass Slipper (lashline)
* NARS Blush - Sex Fantasy
* MAC Lipstick - Blankety

Alysse011

Hello everyone! I'm back after a little time away and I have missed y'all! I was studying for an intensive test for my job, so not much time for Specktra unfortunately. But I passed so I'm back now!

As a treat to myself for passing I got a Keratin lash lift and tint done. I love it so far. My lashes are decent in length and volume, but they don't naturally curl and they're also very light. Anyway, I haven't been wearing much eye makeup at all lately and really just enjoying this "natural" look.

Ive been pretty good about makeup shopping. I used the Ulta 20% off coupon I got. I originally was going to use it for the Tartelette In Bloom palette, but I already have a couple palettes that I love. It's just not a necessary purchase. Instead I repurchase the Neutrogena Body Oil because I'm almost out and I bought a couple mitts for self tanning. I went to Sephora to repurchase my hair product that I'm almost out of too. While there, I swatched a few of the new Urban Decay lippies. I ended up not buying any because I'm very happy with what I currently own. I also swatched the new ABH palette. It's beautiful, but I wasn't obsessed with it so didn't buy it. Oh and at Ulta I took a look at the Lorac Pro 3...didn't buy it. I've never been a huge fan of Lorac shadows anyway. I did make one unplanned purchase. I swatched the new Cover FX highlighting drops and had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Now those I WAS obsessed with immediately, so I bought Moonlight. So, all in all, I'm happy with myself and how my spending has been.

Quick FOTD before I go catch up on all the boards:

base - Ellis Faas skin veil (forgot how much I love this)
concealer - Charlotte Tilbury The Retoucher
-brows - Anastasia dip brow pomade in taupe
-eyes - only a shadow through the crease from my Viseart palette. No other eye makeup. Like I said, this lift and tint is so perfect for every day!
-highlight - Cover FX drops in moonlight
-lips - clarins balm in My Pink

B

Buffy89

Hey everyone, I'm just hopping in to say hi. I've been really busy in the past weeks, but didn't need to use retail therapy to calm myself down. June has been a very low-buyish month for me so far. I purchased both a regular and a mini beautyblender dupe at the drugstore although I'm happily using my Zoeva foundation buffers. But my skin has been a mess lately and I'm trying to fix it a little by different makeup application techniques. Since my Mac concealer is almost used up, I picked up a new concealer. I went for the Catrice camouflage concealer because it's dirt cheap here and I've heard a lot of good things about it. The color I picked up is not a perfect match, but I've learned how to apply it decently, and I'll probably use it for some time because it's allright. The third item I bought is a Maybelline lipstick (Pink Fling) which was an impulse purchase to be honest, but it suits me well and I love the candy scent it has.
The Mac online store finally got the new design here, and there's 10 Euros off when you spend 60 Euros. By coincidence, I noticed that the Full Coverage Foundation which I've been hunting without success for literally a year (even abroad on my holiday etc.) is back in stock. I felt that I had to order one since it's the only product that manages to cover my most horrible breakouts (need to take cortisone from time to time, which gives me red, imflammatory acne straight from hell), so I wanted to be prepared for the worst case, lol. To get the discount, I also ordered a Cleanse Off Oil which I'll need to repurchase soon anyway.
So my total is around 15 Euros for the beautyblender/camouflage/lipstick, which is really good I guess. I do exclude all things complexion related (aka the Mac haul) from my low-buy because as I said, my skin's a hot mess and I'd do (and buy) anything to achieve a better skin condition.
There are some items on my long-term wish list, e.g. the Vice lipsticks and some UD Moondust or Mac Disco glitter eyeshadows, but I'll save these purchases up for vacation etc. I do want the Vice lippies sooooo bad, but looking at my 50ish lipsticks which will eventually turn bad, I'm okay with postponing them. I don't want to declutter my lip collection even more, but it's dang hard to finish just one of them.

Latest posts