MAC Golden Olive looks cool toned on me?

Janey1502

New User
I recently bought MAC Golden Olive but to my disappointment it looks cool toned on me. I have tried using Texture, Brown Script, and Soft Brown with it. Could it be that the eyeshadows I am using with it are too warm toned? Could it be the undertone of my skin? To be honest, I have a really hard time telling what my undertone is. I have been told several different things (warm, cool, neutral) by multiple hairstylists, makeup artists, sales associates, etc. There are some other products that I can't seem to make work either. For example MAC Blankety loops purple on me. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I recently bought MAC Golden Olive but to my disappointment it looks cool toned on me. I have tried using Texture, Brown Script, and Soft Brown with it. Could it be that the eyeshadows I am using with it are too warm toned? Could it be the undertone of my skin?

I searched for swatches online, and Golden Olive is definitely not golden or olive, to me. It's more like a shimmery neutral green. (The swatches I saw were on multiple skintones.) Sumptuous Olive e/s looks more like what I'd consider "golden olive".

That said, undertone can shift how certain colours may look on you.

To be honest, I have a really hard time telling what my undertone is. I have been told several different things (warm, cool, neutral) by multiple hairstylists, makeup artists, sales associates, etc.

What foundations have you been matched to, in what shades, and how do they look on you in natural daylight? Or take a mirror outside on a sunny day and study yourself, no makeup. You'll see what undertones (pink/red, beige, olive, or yellow/golden) are more prominent within your skin.

Virtually all the more popular "tests" for determining undertone are rubbish.

There are some other products that I can't seem to make work either. For example MAC Blankety loops purple on me. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

For that one, it sounds like you've got very pigmented lips, and the natural tones of your lips are still visible under Blankety, giving it a purple hue instead of its true colour. Before applying it, you can try blanking out your lips with a little leftover foundation or concealer, or you can find a lipliner that is about one or two shades lighter than your natural lip colour, and fill your lips in with that before applying Blankety.

Latest posts