Key differences between a tinted moisturizer and a lightweight/weightless foundation?

Hi everyone,

I am new to the makeup world and am trying to decipher the differences between a tinted moisturizer and a lightweight/weightless foundation.

I have done countless hours of research in trying to find an answer but there is not a lot of content out there on the subject. I know that tinted moisturizers are more lightweight and sheer coverage that offer benefits such as hydration, but what about lightweight foundations that claim to do the same, if not more? What about pricing? Why are tinted moisturizers really expensive when they have less coverage yet lightweight foundations are essentially the same and come in a plethora amount of colours?

I really do not understand the differences and have been trying to figure it out for quite some time.

I recently picked up the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer (oil free) but I am second guessing my decision when I can get other products for a better price that may, technically, be more suited for what I am looking for (if you are curious, I am looking for a product that has a very natural skin-like finish, that won't look cakey, and will have the coverage to cover redness or blemishes and active breakouts without being noticeable - I am a male after all, and I just want something to even my skintone without people questioning that I am wearing makeup).

For example, there is obviously the notorious Makeup Forever Ultra HD, but there are also others such as Estee Lauder Double Wear Light, Cover Fx Natural Oil Free Foundations, NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation, NARS Sheer Glow, and Laura Mercier Silk Creme Oil Free Photo Finish Foundation, too name a few.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, why would one buy a tinted moisturizer over a lightweight foundation or vice versa.

Thank you so much in advance!

shellygrrl

Staff member
All tinted moisturizers have SPF/sunscreen ingredients and aren't necessarily buildable in coverage (they're intended to be applied like a standard moisturizer).

And with TMs, you will generally get more product for your money. For example, Laura Mercier's TMs has 1.7 oz of product for $44 USD, or roughly $25.88 per ounce, which is less than many high end foundations. Most foundations are 1 oz (there are a handful of exceptions in either direction). Laura Mercier's TMs are also ones that supposedly have more coverage than other tinted moisturizers.

"Lightweight" and "weightless" just mean the foundation feels like nothing on the skin. It is not indicative of coverage. Most of the foundations you list have either a medium or full coverage. (EL Double Wear Light, I think, is more of a light-to-medium coverage.) They can be sheered out, but overall, you're going to get more coverage from them than you will a tinted moisturizer.

There isn't a huge difference besides the fact that tinted moisturizer generally has SPF, but I always recommend using a separate SPF underneath makeup.

Latest posts