How do you keep inventory on your mac?

Turbokittykat

I keep a complete list of my MAC collection, (just MAC, no other brands), on my iPAQ organiser. I first created it after a couple of incidents where I accidentally bought duplicates of items I already had. I recently used it to estimate the total retail cost of my collection and I didn't like the result very much!

Julia Vanhorn

You know for the longest time I swore that I had White Frost e/s (I had this one for two years) then after I did this inventory a week ago, I discovered that it was Chill and not White Frost. I don't know how I missed that one for two years. And no, I am not blonde, just a DBID.

xiahe

i use excel, even tho my collection isn't hard to keep track of...it's so tiny.
smiles.gif

MisStarrlight

Wow, you guys are waaaay organzed. I know I should start keeping a list, but I know that I'd never keep up with it. I seriously give half my paycheck back to the company every week.

With this new year, I've started keeping my receipts though. My accountant said he'd let me write off my MAC this year, but next year I'm gonna have to prove it. (He didn't believe I could have spent that much on makeup in 1 year). It doesn't help with inventory, but it's a good thing to keep in mind.

nenalinda27

I keep an excel spreadsheet of what I have and want. Or else I forget and buy doubles. My phone also has a little notepad option, so I'm able to keep a list of my most wanted items at all times. Cuz you never know when you'll end up in the mac store.

thejadedstar

I keep a website (on geocities at the moment) that I can update easily with my new MAC products. I have them organized by type, and also have my own system of notation so I can tell if a product is part of a quad or pallett, or if its a sample. It ends up helping me a lot when I'm trying to work out a swap or a purchase, because I have the entire contents of my collection right in front of my face. I resorted to this because I kept buying doubles of items that I already had. I use MUA for a wishlist/shopping list, just because it's easier.

ladycandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
My inventory spreadsheet has the following columns from left to right;
  • Total quantity of a particular product owned
  • Product type (e.g. 'Lipstick', 'Cream Colour Base', 'StudioFix')
  • Shade
  • Retail price
  • Retail price multiplied by total quantity owned
  • Quantity carried in my knapsack and traincase
  • Value of item carried in knapsack or traincase.
Everything is totalled up for my entire collection and that part of the collection which goes out on the road in my train case or knapsack when I'm doing makeup for other people. This means that at any time I know how much the retail replacement value of the knapsack and traincase would be in the event they got stolen. Because all the calculations are done by the spreadsheet it updates itself automatically when I add new items to my inventory. The total for just my knapsack comes to £1,883.53 at the moment - which works out at about $3,256. Knowing that makes me much more careful with it!

i love this idea!!
Hope you don't mind if i borrow it!!
smiles.gif

fairytale22

I decided to start keeping one recently...though it's not done yet...I'll probably finish this weekend. This is what I do in Excel.

Category sections vertically: Eyes, Lips, Cheeks, Tools, Other

Then within each it's
-brand (obviously 95% is MAC but I have some other brands in there too.
greengrin.gif
)
-product (shadestick, e/s, lustreglass, lipglass, etc.)
-color (and finish if applicable)
-retail price
-notes (combos, comments on texture, etc.)

I'm planning to incorporate a wishlist into the actual inventory but keep them in a faded color, ie. my list is black and wishlist items would be like light pink or light grey or something.

alysia

I have an excell spreadsheet. Differnt pages for Eyeshadows, Brushes, Wishlist, ect
Eyeshadows are categorized by:
Name, Colour (off the website), Finish, Type (pot or pan), Collection, Limited Edition or Not, Cost before tax, Where it was bought, if it's in transit (I buy alot online so this helps me keep track of what I need to expect in the mail), & the Month I bought it in

yea I'm just neurotic. And I keep all my reciets. And boxes
greengrin.gif

TIERAsta

GEEZ you guys are so organized. definetley an inspiration to get my MAC list out of my head and into this computer of mine!

lethaldesign

I have three spreadsheets:

1) Items Owned - With different columns for product, shade, finish, collection, year released, availability (LE, pro, perm), price.
2) Wish List - With all the same info above.
3) All MAC Eye Products - This is a work in process... but its basically a list of all of the MAC eye products ever released, including all of the information listed on my other spreadsheets. This one has a lot of blanks, but whenever I get really bored at work, it gives me something to do.
smiles.gif

semtexgirl

Hehe I keep a sticky-note in the back of my planner w/ a list of what I have and my (evergrowing) wish list. But with the new collections coming out, I'm running out of room and may go the spreadsheet route to keep products/shades/finishes/etc. all seperated.

landonsmother

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslexuh
should i start keeping an inventory now?? how will it help me in the future??

It's great to keep an inventory. It will help you from purchasing duplicates
winks.gif

Latest posts