MAC Demo Interviews - descriptions & questions

MsButterfli

good luck girl..you're gonna get it
smiles.gif

Klava

Thanks for such detailed descriptions of your demos, girls!

claresauntie
Quote:
I used the same brush I had used for the Strobe Cream and Prep+Prime (the 190- which I actually don't own but now MUST HAVE!) for the foundation and told her why I did that.

I was wondering about it actually, if you are allowed to use fingers for the application of Strobe Cream or Prep+Prime - I guess not. I haven't used this products myself.
What about regular moisturisers or the new skincare line that MAC came out with - how do you apply those product on people @ MAC? I'm wondering because I might have to do the demo as well!
icon_eek.gif
A bit terrified about that! I just went through a group interview and was invited for an individual one. :dancey:

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klava
I was wondering about it actually, if you are allowed to use fingers for the application of Strobe Cream or Prep+Prime - I guess not. I haven't used this products myself.
What about regular moisturisers or the new skincare line that MAC came out with - how do you apply those product on people @ MAC? I'm wondering because I might have to do the demo as well!
icon_eek.gif
A bit terrified about that! I just went through a group interview and was invited for an individual one. :dancey:

I was specifically told not to use my fingers at all. Remember, you're trying to sell the brushes, too, not just the makeup!
winks.gif

I haven't used the new products, nor the regular moisturizers. I've used some cleansers and many many of the color products, but not a lot of the skincare line. (the Lightful stuff isn't even at my new counter yet). I have used Prep + Prime Face (LOVE IT!). I figured: go with what you know. And if what you know is what you've heard on Specktra, well then: at least you've got the leg up on someone who doesn't have Specktra!
lol.gif

Read over all the demo posts obsessively and come up with a game plan for moisturizer and primer. Remember, you don't really have to be able to talk about the ingredients and so forth right now- just make sure you talk about the benefits of exfoliation and moisturizer and so forth, and apply everything well. That's what they're looking for at this point. And you do use a moisturizer, right? So practice with the one you have and the brush you have. It's basically the same principal once you get there, even if the products are different. I'd never used a foundation brush before, and did just fine!
winks.gif

And then kind of think through some of the ways you'd handle the different makeup scenarios people have described and play with the options in your head. Also look at the current face charts, since some people have to do one of those Looks.

You know, you may even want to go down to the counter (or another nearby) when it's not too busy and ask someone if you can momentarily borrow their 190 brush. Use it to apply Strobe Cream or another moisturizer to your hand, then the P+P F. See how they feel to you... The MA should be fairly nice about lending you the brush just for a sec. Tell him/her that you are thinking about buying these products and want to see how they work so you can think it over.

Anyway, there's my (more than) 2 cents.
graucho.gif
Feel free to PM me if you anything you think I can help with.

Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!

*j

amoona

Quote:
icon_eek.gif

I know this wasn't directed towards me but just some advice ... NEVER USE YOUR FINGERS!! When you're applying on a customer at the counter you can not use your fingers for two reason. One you want to sell the brushes, and two it's just not clean. Plus you just shouldn't apply moistuerizer and primer with your fingers because the oils in your fingers mix with the product and all that stuff. I always use the 190 on myself and customers at the counter.

Klava

Thank you, girls! I can always rely on great answers here!
Amoona: sweetie, my questions are for everybody who is willing to share their knowledge and I appreciate your input! Mixing oil from my fingers with the product - that's a good call, I didn't think about that one. I remeber, that when I was at Clinique counter, the girl there had no troubles puting moistureizer on my face with her fingers - I wonder if they don't have policies like MAC?

Claresauntie: thank you for a detailed answer, hon. I do have a foundation brush (not from MAC) and I really love the control over my foundation that I have with it. Thanks for great tips - I probably will ask you some ?s once I have a demo interview arranged.

claresauntie

Quote:
Thank you, girls! I can always rely on great answers here!
Amoona: sweetie, my questions are for everybody who is willing to share their knowledge and I appreciate your input! Mixing oil from my fingers with the product - that's a good call, I didn't think about that one. I remeber, that when I was at Clinique counter, the girl there had no troubles puting moistureizer on my face with her fingers - I wonder if they don't have policies like MAC?

Claresauntie: thank you for a detailed answer, hon. I do have a foundation brush (not from MAC) and I really love the control over my foundation that I have with it. Thanks for great tips - I probably will ask you some ?s once I have a demo interview arranged.

Feel free to PM me, too, my dear. Ready, willing and able to help whenever called upon!
lol.gif

MACtastic

I must say that this sticky has helped me so much in prepping for my demo tomorrow! Props to all you ladies and your amazingness!
greengrin.gif

j_absinthe

Thank you so much for this in depth account. Especially for the tips and utiziling the knowledge of MAC products; great to know. Sounds like you'll be a hit.

Gblue

I had mine today.
I turned up 20 minutes early and had a play with the make-up with my model (friend from current job!) and then I went to ask where the trainer was.
She told me about the sanitizing (I made sure I did it!) and then told me to a smoky eyed look. So I ran off and grabbed everything - concealers, foundation, liner, eyeshadows, lipgloss.

So I did concealer & foundation first, forgetting that smoky eyes is gonna cause problems with fallout... I used the 190 brush and just a small pointy brush for concealer (number rubbed off!), then applied Dollymix blusher on the cheekbone to the hairline with the 187 (I had 6 of them on the belt they gave me!).

I put Phloof! All over the lid as a wash of colour and highlight, then along the crease and outer V worked in Knight Divine. Then she asked me to start explaining to the model, as though she is a customer, how to achieve the look at home. Oops! I forgot about that when I was doing it! So I backtracked a bit and mentioned what I had done so far and then explained what I'm doing next, and why and with which brush. I packed Black Tied onto the lid under the line I'd created with Knight Divine, then after blending with some Knight Divine on the brush I went on to do eyeliner. I used Fluidline in Blacktrack, on top of which I put on some more Black Tied.

Then I went to put mascara on, oops, I'd forgotten to pick some up. I ran to the mascara stand and grabbed one, and it was empty! Oh noes! The trainer ran off and grabbed me one and I cleaned up the eyeshadow a bit while I waited. So I did mascara.
Then I applied Viva Glam V lipgloss, mentioning to the trainer I liked the Viva Glam thing and how it all goes to AIDS charities. She asked me if I knew which charities the money last went to and I sorta laughed and said 'no!' apologetically, and she told me
smiles.gif

Then she told me time was up and I worried a bit. She told me what I'd done well, what I could improve, what she prefers to do with certain things (foundation and concealer after eyes, which I said 'I should have done but was worried about the time limit), and how to improve my brush technique (hold more towards the end of the brush than right at the metal bit).

She was asking me questions all through about my previous experience and other things from my CV. She asked a couple of 'would you be ok with theme days' etc questions. I was like 'no problem, who doesn't like to dress up!!'
I now have the agonizing wait to find if I get the job!

mochajavalatte

I know you posted this awhile ago, but I am SO grateful it's on here! I have my demo tomorrow and your description really really helped give me ideas about how to talk to my 'customer'
smiles.gif
THANK YOU!!

airrinleah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochajavalatte
I know you posted this awhile ago, but I am SO grateful it's on here! I have my demo tomorrow and your description really really helped give me ideas about how to talk to my 'customer'
smiles.gif
THANK YOU!!

You are so welcome!!! GOOD LUCK :-D

<3 <3 <3

foreverymoment

Soooooo, my demo was AWESOME. I've never had more fun in my life.

Quick run down? Sure. (skip this if you want to!)

I got there w/ my sister (aka my model) and was told that I could start right away OR wait for the counter manager (I opted to wait...) so we went and matched her foundation/concealer and looked at brow stuff (which I ended up not using anyways...) -- And apparently I was chatting it up with the regional trainer person and didn't even know it. Hahaha! Nice.

So the CM came and told me that she knows I've got the techniques and she wants me to take into account my sisters age (18) and do something for day wear. She said she WAS NOT going to hover because she hates it when people do it to her, but she'd just check in...Being no dummy, I asked my "client" what kind of look she was looking for... she said everyday but with a splash of color. So I strobe cream'd her, prep and primed her, and mineralize satinfinished her =P Harmony for a contour, Dame for a blush and we're onto the eyes. We used Honesty, Shroom, and Patina with a "color pop" of Freshwater on the bottom...(thank you leesha for being such an inspiration!!!!!!!!) Teddy kohl for the liner, X for the mascara...charcoal brown (lightly) for brows...Rosebound l/l, Syrup l/s, and Nymphette l/g and we're good to go! THEY LOVED IT! (one staff member who I get along with pretty well tried to "intimidate me" as a joke...hover...keep checking in...but it didn't work...muahahah!)

The CM looked at me and said "ok, VAMP it up like I know you can!"...alright...an inner corner of Fade, a wash of Tilt...Flashtrack on the crease blended up, Black Tied in the outer >...Top it off with some more shroom to blend out the lines (which my blending is "impeccable" according to the CM), a nude l/l (by now I've forgotten what I used...), High Tea l/s and Instant Gold lustreglass...

the CM came over, checked my work, didn't critique it at ALL (which I thought was weird...I was looking for some CC!) but anyways, told me she'd talked about me to her RM and the RT earlier, and she'd call me the first of the week to fill out my paperwork
smiles.gif

I was pretty surprised that they just let me at it...I had a whole set of brushes to use, no time limit (but I aimed for under 1/2 hour, and then 10 minutes to transform...and I kept it within that!), and she didn't even go through the sanitizing stuff with me..."because you already know how to do it" Haha. Theater background definately helps. Anyways, it was SUCH a great experience!!

So I'm a FL/OC for our counter now
smiles.gif

shorty

OK deep breath here goes...

My demo was on wednesday and I got the position and had so much fun so I'll get as much in here as I can!!

I arrived early, full faced with lashes on and my bare faced model... The trainer who would be holding my interview introduced herself and also all the girls on the counter which I thought was quite nice so I felt at ease right away. She asked one of the girls to show me around the counter and all the products (at this point I went with her even though I knew all the products, I asked her a bit about what foundation would be best as my model suffers from excema and she recommended the most suitable one which i really appreciated)

back at the area I was going to be working at the trainer asked if I had my portfolio with me and I didnt!!!! But she said it was ok and that she had heard good things about it from my first interview so not worry (wish I had took it again though!)... She then said she would grab me some brushes but I told her I had all my own cleaned and ready, she said I could use them as long as they were MAC and when she looked she said 'wow good collection!'

She said I had 30 minutes to do a daytime to nightime look, and that she wouldnt be constantly there but to give her a shout when I had finished daytime before I started nightime. She gave me 5 minutes to get everything together that I needed but told me not to worry if I forgot anything. I made sure I asked her about sanitising the products and she seemed very impressed, she said most people dont even think about that in the interview, it can be taught later... I was pretty pleased I knew already, I kept my station immaculate all the way through, threw all rubbish away immediately and placed everything in perfect order on tissues on the counter in front of my model.

So I got started (if anyone wants me to go into major detail about every product used then just ask and I will... I made up my model for daytime using 25 minutes (I had a plan here) the trainer said it was gorgeous and loved the colours but did I realise I only had 5 minutes left??!! I told her what I wanted to do was show my customer that a nighttime look can be achieved quickly (for example for drinks after work) with just a few products in a few minutes... I used my 5 minutes to maximum effect, did dark cats eyes and really made an impact with a few products, she looked great! I had spoke to my model like a customer all the way through, naming products, brushes, placement, effect etc

The trainer came over and said she loved it, to which I said 'actually theres one thing Im not happy with' (I wanted the eyes to be darker in the corners like jet black) so she gave me a minute to do whatever it took to make it perfect, when I had done it she said 'now THATS perfect!' She asked me to explain why i had used what i had so i literally named every product and explained how it had contibuted to my final look so she knew there was a thought behind my work...

She only gave me praise really, she said I had picked the prefect foundation colour, she loved the shapes I had made on the eyes, had good blending etc...

Afterwards, she asked me model to have a wander around and I had a seperate interview with her, it lasted about twenty minutes where she asked me what i liked about mac, what would i bring to their team, what do i expect a day to be like on counter, what i knew about colour correction - quite a varied few actually!

I offered to put my products away and she told me not to worry and that I should hear back within 7-10 days... I walked out of the store, round the corner and she rang and offered me the job straight away!!
yahoo.gif

prettygirl

thank you to all your ladies for your storiesss!!! you guys are soo inspiring.. lol.. makes me wanna start practicing on my three brothers right now!

Latest posts