Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Makeup Artist Licenses

Which states require a license for working as an MA?
    Everyone... Add my MAC myspace account

http//:www.myspace.com/maclady31

i know that in maryland you don't HAVE to have one to work as an MA, but a lot of the stores around here give that more preference when hiring.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pink_lily
    i know that in maryland you don't HAVE to have one to work as an MA, but a lot of the stores around here give that more preference when hiring.

To work at a counter in MD that is correct. To work at a salon (and possibly as an independant as well) you require a license.
    J'aurais voulu ne pas mourir, j'aurais voulu ne jamais grandir, j'aurais voulu me casser l'ame.

Specktra.net FAQ Forum: http://specktra.net/forumdisplay.php?f=190
    Specktra Industry Discussion Forum: http://specktra.net/forumdisplay.php?f=194

I mean i'm not from MD, and I work as a makeup artist. I have in pittsburgh PA and now in dayton Ohio. I didnt think you needed a license for makeup ANYWHERE until i saw a post on here. I was just wondering which states DO require it out of curiosity

Washington state does as well. I'm not sure all the states which do, but I do know that some require them for various types of makeup work. Licences require passage of a board exam, similar to those required for working as an aestetician/hair stylist, and are run by the each state individually.
    J'aurais voulu ne pas mourir, j'aurais voulu ne jamais grandir, j'aurais voulu me casser l'ame.

I live in MD and am liscensed as a manicurist and am a makeup artist, but I do not have a seperate liscense(ie esth,mua).
    I never had a problem when working in a store, but when I did makeup at the salon I definately had to have my lic clearly visible.
    "You wouldn't spend so much time worrying about what others thought of you, if you knew how little time they actually did." George Carlin

CA does, I'm pretty sure.

Hi there

I live in New York City and here you definitely need a license. From the searching I have found that a license is required. And if you have a license as a cosmetologist and/or esthetician that license covers makeup. Other license do not. With other makeup artist I have spoken with and chatted on-line with I was told your really not suppose to charge or advertise yourself as mua, hairstylist, esthetician, nail tech etc. without a license. But as far as just makeup goes their is no direct license but you can receive a degree or certificate of course of completion. Which validates you to do makeup. Here is a school the a MAC artist suggested to me www.mud.edu. The site look really good. Oh yeah just in case your wonder on how I received my information I'am a license cometologist. I hope this helps in anyway
    "If you don't suit up, you'll never get a chance to play. If you don't play, you'll never see how good you are. If you don't see how good you are, you'll never let yourself compete. The moral? Get out of bed, already."

bellamia, do you know anyone who has personally attended mud?
    Ever notice that what the hell is always the right decision?
    Marilyn Monroe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bellamia
    Hi there

I live in New York City and here you definitely need a license. From the searching I have found that a license is required. And if you have a license as a cosmetologist and/or esthetician that license covers makeup. Other license do not. With other makeup artist I have spoken with and chatted on-line with I was told your really not suppose to charge or advertise yourself as mua, hairstylist, esthetician, nail tech etc. without a license. But as far as just makeup goes their is no direct license but you can receive a degree or certificate of course of completion. Which validates you to do makeup. Here is a school the a MAC artist suggested to me www.mud.edu. The site look really good. Oh yeah just in case your wonder on how I received my information I'am a license cometologist. I hope this helps in anyway

i'm a licensed cosmetologist and makeup artist as well. I was just wondering cause i didn't know you needed one anywhere

Quote:
    Originally Posted by singinmys0ng
    bellamia, do you know anyone who has personally attended mud?

Unfortuantely no I was chatting with a MAC artist and she suggested the school for me. I plan on attending when I have the money. But I checked out the site and spoke with a rep. They are very nice and helpful.
    "If you don't suit up, you'll never get a chance to play. If you don't play, you'll never see how good you are. If you don't see how good you are, you'll never let yourself compete. The moral? Get out of bed, already."

The license we are talking about... is it like in driving license form? or is it a just a cert that certified you had completed a MU course?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MAC_Lolita
    The license we are talking about... is it like in driving license form? or is it a just a cert that certified you had completed a MU course?

Well if your taking a makeup course you can either get a diploma which is a long term makeup course (more in depth) or a certificate which usually goes for about 2 months. Either one establish you have completed a course (your hours). Its nothing like DMV where you can walk in a take a test. You have to put in your hours.

Well going off about what someone said about MD. I live in MD and the State Office of Licensing or whatever it's called said that in order for you to work as a MA you HAVE to have a license. In order to get one you have to go through a State approved program and have 40 hrs in Make Artistry...I guess just like to be a cosmetologist. So check with you state's Licensing office, it will be the same place that gives cosmetology, nail tech, and even real estate licenses.
    ADDICTED TO MAC Some have their CRACK...I have my MAC...lol

Thanks for explanation bellamia... appreciate it... =D

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MAC_Lolita
    Thanks for explanation bellamia... appreciate it... =D

Your welcome, I'm glad I could share something

Quote:
    Originally Posted by martygreene
    To work at a counter in MD that is correct. To work at a salon (and possibly as an independant as well) you require a license.

I was just about to post this. :-P
    "It's pure fun to let go and play with makeup."
    `Pat McGrath - Allure Magazine November 2007

As far as I know, to be just a makeup artist in NY a liscense is not legally required. It's how we all can work at MAC w/o having any previous training. Also, MUD does not provide you with a liscense..it is just a certification program, but most MAs that I know have their cosmo or esth liscences...makes it easier to get a job.

But since I've never lived out of New York (and have no immediate plans to) I have no idea about other states.
    "Dorks die when bullets hit them. Dorks cry real tears"~Kathleen Hanna

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
    Also, MUD does not provide you with a liscense..it is just a certification program, .

MUD provides Certificates and Diplomas. Some courses are certificate because is a shorter course and others are longer courses and it gives diplomas.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bellamia
    MUD provides Certificates and Diplomas. Some courses are certificate because is a shorter course and others are longer courses and it gives diplomas.

Exactly, regardless if it's a certificate or a diploma, it is still not a state issued liscense, and therefore not held to the same standards os a cosmo one or something.

Does anyone know if IL has the same requirements?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
    Exactly, regardless if it's a certificate or a diploma, it is still not a state issued liscense, and therefore not held to the same standards os a cosmo one or something.

True...Not the same standards an all. But thats becuase cosmetologist deal with chemicals but thats basically it. When I first started getting into the whole beauty field I did as much search and asked cosmetologist and makeup artist questions well as much as I could. From what makeup artist told me technically your not suppose to charge if your not license. How true that is I don't know but I kind of find it doubtful becuase why would they have schools for just makeup? Right! But any way enough of my blah blah blah

I know this is old, but I just started MUD today & in all the paperwork was the answer to your original question, Nicole.

As of 2003 (when the student handbook was written), only Maryland & Rhode Island require makeup artists to have state liscenses....but if you wish to work in a salon/spa you must be liscensed as a cosmetologist or esthetician in all states.

Hope that helps!

CA does not require a license to work as a makeup artist, though when hiring it is preffered. none of MAC's employees (at least the ones at my counter with the exception of 1) have cosmetology/makeup licenses. they base who they hire on experience and talent. mostly on retail experience, not so much makeup experience.

i've worked on several professional photoshoots (i mean, everything copyrighted, professional hair/wardrobe designers, models, the whole 9 yeards) and i haven't got a license. all of these shoots were in CA as well

however, working at a salon may require one. i'm not quite sure, i've never looked in to that.

In many states you are supposed to have a license to do makeup on the general public if you are not working at a cosmetics counter. So, if you do freelance work and do weddings, proms, etc. you are supposed to be licensed, but many are not. Working the entertainment industry however (editorial, theatre, film, TV, etc.) one does not need to be licensed, in most states.

Does anyone know if you need one in Canada?
    âFashions fade, style is eternal.â - Yves Saint Laurent

or in australia? thanks

I know this has been stated in some fashion or form already, but just to make it more cohesive and in one post.

CALIFORNIA

If you are doing makeup for anyone that will be on stage or film or behind a camera of sorts you do not need a license.

If you are doing makeup on people for weddings, proms, anything that is not classified as the entertainment industry by law you need a license. This also goes for working in Salons (YOU MUST HAVE A LICENSE).

Now many people do makeup without the license for proms and weddings, but you can get fined. It's like 10,000. I myself have even done makeup without the license on rare occassions. So it's a possibility, but if you plan to blow up and be known it is probably a good idea to atleast go get your estheticians (sp) license.

Also for real freelance makeup artist. Getting jobs does not depend on what school you went to etc...it's about how good you are. People don't ask to see your certificate or about what school you went to...they ask to see your PORTFOLIO. Your work.

I know because I live in LA and I am a freelance artist myself. I am trying to build my portfolio too and trying to get real jobs is hard when you don't have a good book (portfolio). So testing testing testing..well be my life this summer.

Also, I decided against going to a makeup school and am spending my money on lessons with real working artist. Folks who are getting paid $1500 in LA. I pay them for their time to teach me what they know and the things that are getting them $800 to $1500 a day. You see their work in magazines, on music videos, in commercials..etc...

So be wise in how you spend your money.

Thats..all folks.
    "Bad Company Corrupts Good Morals."- The Father/The Son/The Holy Spirit

I was at my counter yesterday and my favorite MA asked if I had ever applied at MAC. I was shocked! I guess I put up a good front with my lingo and knowledge of the MAC lines. I knew about A-muse before anyone at that counter did! (Because of Specktra of course.)

So anyways, we get into the licensing discussion and he doesn't have a license, Dillards/MAC doesn't require a license, just a portfolio....this is in Oklahoma btw.

I'm going to look at State Board of Cosmotology Regs and try to decipher the legal stuff, but I might really start considering this and look into a parttime job with MAC.

I told my mom about this and she replied with "Isn't this just as a bad as an alcoholic working in a liquor store?"

I think you need one in CT...they demand a license for many professions that other states don't (damn, you need a license just to take a shit in Connecticut!!!!!).
    Hartz pet products can KILL your beloved pets. For more info., please visit www.HartzVictims.org It may save your pet's life!!!

"They used to call him 'Spitshine Tommy'. This kid could make your shoes look like fu*kin' mirrors!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast