Makeup Artist Licenses

Esme

For the person who asked, way back when, about Australia, no. There is no license requirement in Australia for certification or licensing for Nail Tech OR Makeup Artists. Kind of shocking, I think. I also believe this may change soon for Nail Techs, especially.
In Oregon you have to sit a state board for licensing in nails, makeup, skin care, etc. just like for hairdressers and nurses. I am getting my schooling in Australia, but would like to be able to be licensed in Oregon as I may return there if the economy ever picks back up. So I have been looking into reciprocity.

bnanca

Sorry to change the state too, hehehe.. but what about minnesota, i want to get into a course or something, anybody know any good ones for the midwest??

Labreniae

I seen that on the Department of Licensing Site, So does that mean Maryland residents will not need a license to be a make up artist?

boujoischic

Hello all. I did a little research and The Maryland Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation advise's as of 10/1/08 Make-up Artist licensing has been repealed and licenses will no longer be issued. I also called them to verify that this means you do not have to be licensed to do make-up in the state of Maryland and that you cannot be fined for providing these services.

FacesbyNiki

Hello all. I did a little research and The Maryland Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation advise's as of 10/1/08 Make-up Artist licensing has been repealed and licenses will no longer be issued. I also called them to verify that this means you do not have to be licensed to do make-up in the state of Maryland and that you cannot be fined for providing these services.
Didn't see this. Doh. :)

lilchocolatema

I still have mine, but of course it's expired. But seriously, it's one more option for makeup artist discounts that has been stripped away from us! That's so annoying!

MsMakeup22

I live in Louisiana, they have a separate Makeup Permit that allows you to legally work in salon as a Makeup Artist only. You have to have special training or have hours from a cosmetology or esthi schooling. I had half of my hours from cosmetology and was able to apply for the Makeup Permit.

CajunFille'

I am a licensed Esthetician in the state of LA, and I am in Barber school, almost finished. In the state of LA you must have 40 hours of training at a school recongnized by the LA State Board of Cosmetology in order to obtain a makeup permit. In this 40 hours of training you are supposed to learn about the all important, sanitation in the work place. When you have completed your hours you will receive a certificate of completion. The school will not give you a license nor will the state board. There is no such thing as a licensed makeup artist in the state of LA. After you receive your certificate of completion from your school you will then be allowed to apply for a makeup permit through the state board. This will allow you to work in a salon or freelance. However, your esthetician's license or cosmetology license also allows you to do makeup as well without having a separate permit. Since we are taught sanitation, color placement, color theory, ect. in school it is not necessary to have the extra hours & permit.

Mona81

Hi! I Was wondering if anybody can give me an advice about starting a makeup artist career. If I would still live in NY I would know where to go, but unfortunately I am in PA. What can I do to start the process to be in that industry.

Latest posts