Makeup Artist Licenses

Pink_lily

i know that in maryland you don't HAVE to have one to work as an MA, but a lot of the stores around here give that more preference when hiring.

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink_lily
i know that in maryland you don't HAVE to have one to work as an MA, but a lot of the stores around here give that more preference when hiring.

To work at a counter in MD that is correct. To work at a salon (and possibly as an independant as well) you require a license.

Femme Noir

I mean i'm not from MD, and I work as a makeup artist. I have in pittsburgh PA and now in dayton Ohio. I didnt think you needed a license for makeup ANYWHERE until i saw a post on here. I was just wondering which states DO require it out of curiosity

martygreene

Washington state does as well. I'm not sure all the states which do, but I do know that some require them for various types of makeup work. Licences require passage of a board exam, similar to those required for working as an aestetician/hair stylist, and are run by the each state individually.

pugmommy7

I live in MD and am liscensed as a manicurist and am a makeup artist, but I do not have a seperate liscense(ie esth,mua).
I never had a problem when working in a store, but when I did makeup at the salon I definately had to have my lic clearly visible.

bellamia

Hi there
wavey.gif

I live in New York City and here you definitely need a license. From the searching I have found that a license is required. And if you have a license as a cosmetologist and/or esthetician that license covers makeup. Other license do not. With other makeup artist I have spoken with and chatted on-line with I was told your really not suppose to charge or advertise yourself as mua, hairstylist, esthetician, nail tech etc. without a license. But as far as just makeup goes their is no direct license but you can receive a degree or certificate of course of completion. Which validates you to do makeup. Here is a school the a MAC artist suggested to me www.mud.edu. The site look really good. Oh yeah just in case your wonder on how I received my information I'am a license cometologist. I hope this helps in anyway
wavey.gif

Femme Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamia
Hi there
wavey.gif

I live in New York City and here you definitely need a license. From the searching I have found that a license is required. And if you have a license as a cosmetologist and/or esthetician that license covers makeup. Other license do not. With other makeup artist I have spoken with and chatted on-line with I was told your really not suppose to charge or advertise yourself as mua, hairstylist, esthetician, nail tech etc. without a license. But as far as just makeup goes their is no direct license but you can receive a degree or certificate of course of completion. Which validates you to do makeup. Here is a school the a MAC artist suggested to me www.mud.edu. The site look really good. Oh yeah just in case your wonder on how I received my information I'am a license cometologist. I hope this helps in anyway
wavey.gif

i'm a licensed cosmetologist and makeup artist as well. I was just wondering cause i didn't know you needed one anywhere

bellamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by singinmys0ng
bellamia, do you know anyone who has personally attended mud?

Unfortuantely no I was chatting with a MAC artist and she suggested the school for me. I plan on attending when I have the money. But I checked out the site and spoke with a rep. They are very nice and helpful.

ShirleyK

The license we are talking about... is it like in driving license form? or is it a just a cert that certified you had completed a MU course?

bellamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Lolita
The license we are talking about... is it like in driving license form? or is it a just a cert that certified you had completed a MU course?

Well if your taking a makeup course you can either get a diploma which is a long term makeup course (more in depth) or a certificate which usually goes for about 2 months. Either one establish you have completed a course (your hours). Its nothing like DMV where you can walk in a take a test. You have to put in your hours.

MDgyrl4life

Well going off about what someone said about MD. I live in MD and the State Office of Licensing or whatever it's called said that in order for you to work as a MA you HAVE to have a license. In order to get one you have to go through a State approved program and have 40 hrs in Make Artistry...I guess just like to be a cosmetologist. So check with you state's Licensing office, it will be the same place that gives cosmetology, nail tech, and even real estate licenses.

bellamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Lolita
Thanks for explanation bellamia... appreciate it... =D

Your welcome, I'm glad I could share something
rofl.gif

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
To work at a counter in MD that is correct. To work at a salon (and possibly as an independant as well) you require a license.

I was just about to post this. :p

MisStarrlight

As far as I know, to be just a makeup artist in NY a liscense is not legally required. It's how we all can work at MAC w/o having any previous training. Also, MUD does not provide you with a liscense..it is just a certification program, but most MAs that I know have their cosmo or esth liscences...makes it easier to get a job.

But since I've never lived out of New York (and have no immediate plans to) I have no idea about other states.

bellamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
Also, MUD does not provide you with a liscense..it is just a certification program, .

MUD provides Certificates and Diplomas. Some courses are certificate because is a shorter course and others are longer courses and it gives diplomas.

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamia
MUD provides Certificates and Diplomas. Some courses are certificate because is a shorter course and others are longer courses and it gives diplomas.

Exactly, regardless if it's a certificate or a diploma, it is still not a state issued liscense, and therefore not held to the same standards os a cosmo one or something.

Latest posts