Makeup Artist Licenses

bellamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
Exactly, regardless if it's a certificate or a diploma, it is still not a state issued liscense, and therefore not held to the same standards os a cosmo one or something.

True...Not the same standards an all. But thats becuase cosmetologist deal with chemicals but thats basically it. When I first started getting into the whole beauty field I did as much search and asked cosmetologist and makeup artist questions well as much as I could. From what makeup artist told me technically your not suppose to charge if your not license. How true that is I don't know but I kind of find it doubtful becuase why would they have schools for just makeup? Right! But any way enough of my blah blah blah
wavey.gif

MisStarrlight

I know this is old, but I just started MUD today & in all the paperwork was the answer to your original question, Nicole.

As of 2003 (when the student handbook was written), only Maryland & Rhode Island require makeup artists to have state liscenses....but if you wish to work in a salon/spa you must be liscensed as a cosmetologist or esthetician in all states.

Hope that helps!

kimmy

CA does not require a license to work as a makeup artist, though when hiring it is preffered. none of MAC's employees (at least the ones at my counter with the exception of 1) have cosmetology/makeup licenses. they base who they hire on experience and talent. mostly on retail experience, not so much makeup experience.

i've worked on several professional photoshoots (i mean, everything copyrighted, professional hair/wardrobe designers, models, the whole 9 yeards) and i haven't got a license. all of these shoots were in CA as well
greengrin.gif

however, working at a salon may require one. i'm not quite sure, i've never looked in to that.

martygreene

In many states you are supposed to have a license to do makeup on the general public if you are not working at a cosmetics counter. So, if you do freelance work and do weddings, proms, etc. you are supposed to be licensed, but many are not. Working the entertainment industry however (editorial, theatre, film, TV, etc.) one does not need to be licensed, in most states.

TrusyMyEyes

I know this has been stated in some fashion or form already, but just to make it more cohesive and in one post.

CALIFORNIA

If you are doing makeup for anyone that will be on stage or film or behind a camera of sorts you do not need a license.

If you are doing makeup on people for weddings, proms, anything that is not classified as the entertainment industry by law you need a license. This also goes for working in Salons (YOU MUST HAVE A LICENSE).

Now many people do makeup without the license for proms and weddings, but you can get fined. It's like 10,000. I myself have even done makeup without the license on rare occassions. So it's a possibility, but if you plan to blow up and be known it is probably a good idea to atleast go get your estheticians (sp) license.

Also for real freelance makeup artist. Getting jobs does not depend on what school you went to etc...it's about how good you are. People don't ask to see your certificate or about what school you went to...they ask to see your PORTFOLIO. Your work.

I know because I live in LA and I am a freelance artist myself. I am trying to build my portfolio too and trying to get real jobs is hard when you don't have a good book (portfolio). So testing testing testing..well be my life this summer.

Also, I decided against going to a makeup school and am spending my money on lessons with real working artist. Folks who are getting paid $1500 in LA. I pay them for their time to teach me what they know and the things that are getting them $800 to $1500 a day. You see their work in magazines, on music videos, in commercials..etc...

So be wise in how you spend your money.

Thats..all folks.

joraye

I was at my counter yesterday and my favorite MA asked if I had ever applied at MAC. I was shocked! I guess I put up a good front with my lingo and knowledge of the MAC lines. I knew about A-muse before anyone at that counter did! (Because of Specktra of course.)

So anyways, we get into the licensing discussion and he doesn't have a license, Dillards/MAC doesn't require a license, just a portfolio....this is in Oklahoma btw.

I'm going to look at State Board of Cosmotology Regs and try to decipher the legal stuff, but I might really start considering this and look into a parttime job with MAC.

I told my mom about this and she replied with "Isn't this just as a bad as an alcoholic working in a liquor store?"

YvetteJeannine

I think you need one in CT...they demand a license for many professions that other states don't (damn, you need a license just to take a shit in Connecticut!!!!!).

martygreene

in most states you need a cosmetology license to do makeup for paid compensation anywhere. The exception is Ca. If you are in CA in the entertainment industry you are exempt, not exempt for brides etc.

Check the state licensing board in your state, most have websites.

Keep in mind that very few makeup artists have a license of any kind, It's just not something the State can enforce with the man power it has. The problem comes should you ever be sued by a client. You were practicing without the State license and thats going to be a HUGE mark against you, you will face financial ruin should that ever happen. You can not obtain liability insurance as a makeup artist without a cosmetology license. Makeup schools give you a certificate, and while thier educations may be good a certificate will not count towards a license. To become licensed most states require a certain number of clock hours in an estetician, cosmetician, or cosmetology programme at a recognised beauty school.

For makeup only, most states require an esthetician license (or as one person said, cosmetician). One state I am aware of has a makeup license (Maryland). To do makeup AND hair, a cosmetology license is required.

Now, it's the exemptions that will be the deciding factor. Of those states that require a license to do makeup and/or hair, many of them require it for salon, bridal and other civilian work, but the entertainment industry is exempt. To work in a salon or at a counter as a product rep (meaning you don't charge for services rendered, just product), is also exempt.

NY and perhaps other states require a license no matter what you are doing. There are no exemptions. I honestly don't know if or how the counters get away with no licensing.

There are schools that are approved to teach the curriculum that is geared towards helping you pass the state board exam. Call your state board to get a list of approved schools.

A certificate of any kind from any school does not count as a license. If you attend a makeup school, you may be able to get hours applied towards a license, but it won't be much. Negotiate with the school to see if you can reduce your time in school with them and your tuition. You may only get a day or two knocked off, but school is all about hours. Clock your hours, and you "graduate". You still have to take state board exams (practical and written).

Some states offer reciprocity with other states, so it may be useful for you to get your license if you think you might move to a different state later.

Check here for more information on what is required in your area, and what the exemptions and reciprocity options are: http://www.beautytech.com/st_boards.htm

pixichik77

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
in most states you need a cosmetology license to do makeup for paid compensation anywhere. The exception is Ca. If you are in CA in the entertainment industry you are exempt, not exempt for brides etc.

NY and perhaps other states require a license no matter what you are doing. There are no exemptions. I honestly don't know if or how the counters get away with no licensing.

http://www.beautytech.com/st_boards.htm

Even though the counter artists are paid/compensated, they don't need to be licensed because the clients arn't directly paying the artist. Therefore the artist is not being paid to do makeup.

We used to use the same logic to do hair in school for friends. We were students and couldn't be paid... but I will accept a $50 tip for those highlights...

Also, the winds of change are blowing in the film and theater industries. Licenses may soon be required, if not already.

Miss Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamia
Unfortuantely no I was chatting with a MAC artist and she suggested the school for me. I plan on attending when I have the money. But I checked out the site and spoke with a rep. They are very nice and helpful.

I went to MUD in NYC. Definitly a great school.

Miss Thing

Also, MUD does not license you, they give you a certificate of course completion. It is not required in NY to have alicense to do makeup, it is only required to have a license to work in a salon. In NY, no one really could give a damn, its all about who you know & getting the job done.

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixichik77
Even though the counter artists are paid/compensated, they don't need to be licensed because the clients arn't directly paying the artist. Therefore the artist is not being paid to do makeup.

We used to use the same logic to do hair in school for friends. We were students and couldn't be paid... but I will accept a $50 tip for those highlights...

Also, the winds of change are blowing in the film and theater industries. Licenses may soon be required, if not already.

I know that certain locals of SAG and IATSE are (and have been for a while) requiring licensure in order to join as a makeup artist/hairstylist.

pixichik77

Yes, 798 in particular is going back and forth on the issue. I have a friend who is caught in the middle of the whole mess...

M.A.C.tastic

When I worked at MAC I waited until I had my license because I thought you needed one. I live in MD and to practice freelance and in a salon you need a license. At counters/stores you do not, but some require them because they think it is better but not because they have to by law. I personally think any person providing makeup services to the public should have to be licensed because there is no way the counters teach the proper sanitation, laws, etc. It should be for the publics safety and for the safety of the MUA as well.

FacesbyNiki

bump!

Ok, lately I have gotten alot of offers to do work for TV and stuff and some jobs required that you do have your license, this is in Maryland. I was just issued my license, it's something good to have.

So please, if you have a chance to get a license, ie, going to school or working for a counter, talk to your trainers about obtaining one. It's always good to have for those good jobs, that require one, that may come your way.

smiles.gif

lucy_babyy

does anybody know anything about needing a license in Massachusetts...i plan on opening a store and doing makeup application in it..what kind of licenses or certificates do i need to do this???

miinx

As of next year, Maryland has removed the makeup artist licensing requirement for MUAs working salons, and will no longer be renewing existing licenses or issuing new ones.

Latest posts