Healthy & Happy Recipes

msjazzy

Baked chicken breast (boneless/skinless) in a foil packet with a little salsa and mozarella cheese......Easy and good! You can steam some broccoli or spinach as a side (or you could do a salad).

msjazzy

Also, when you prepare your brown rice, drop a chicken bouillon cube in the water. I like to spice my rice up with salsa and mozzarella cheese. Salsa has hardly any calories and it comes in a lot of great flavors - pineapple, mango, peach, etc.)

msjazzy

Southwest Barbecued Chicken with Tomato Red Pepper Dressing

About 2 servings

This is a spicy, healthy version of a classic favorite. You can cook the chicken in the oven or on the grill.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Start to finish: 20minutes

Ingredients
4 tbsp Tomato Red Pepper Salad Dressing (recipe follows)
1 tsp red chile powder
1 tsp canola oil
1/2 tsp honey (optional)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breastt halves (about 8 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (or, fire up the grill). Mix together the salad dressing, red chile powder, canola oil and honey, if using. Pour half the dressing over the chicken breasts in a lightly oiled or nonstick baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes. Baste with remaining sauce and cook about another 10-15 minutes or until done. Be careful not to overcook.

Tomato Red Pepper Salad Dressing
1 small (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
1 whole roasted red pepper or pimento from a jar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
Combine all ingredients in a blenderr container. Blend until well mixed.
Makes 8, two-tablespoon servings.

Nutritional Information:
Per serving:
180 calories
5 g total fat (1 g sat)
69 mg cholesterol
7 g carbohydrate
26 g protein
1 g fiber
228 mg sodium

I love this recipe, but i got more just got to either find them.

choseck

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjazzy
Also, when you prepare your brown rice, drop a chicken bouillon cube in the water. I like to spice my rice up with salsa and mozzarella cheese. Salsa has hardly any calories and it comes in a lot of great flavors - pineapple, mango, peach, etc.)

I always make my brown rice using chicken broth instead of water, but I'd never thought of 'spicing' it up w/ salsa. I use salsa on EVERYTHING so now I can add brown rice to the list too! Thanks.

AmberLilith

Not a recipe -Apologies if this isn't allowed.

Ten Happy Foods
My Mum found this list in a paper a few years ago, it's fairly oft-recommended stuff, but i thought i'd post it as it became a bit of a family tradition for when we were feeling low!

1. strawberries
2. bananas
3. pasta -brown's healthier
4. french bread
5. nuts and seeds
6. oranges
7. tomatoes
8. grapes

And the not-so-healthy happy foods:
9. ice cream -maybe frozen yoghurt instead?
10. chocolate -maybe a small portion of dark chocolate?

We used to have a meal and then dessert and try to incorporate as many of them as possible!
There are reasons behind all of them, but i can't remember them off the top of my head... except the chocolate-link-to-serotonin one...
tong.gif
and the obvious benefits of colourful fresh fruit and veg!

Loveleighe

Spicy Chicken Soup

serves 8; about 474 calories, 10.1g dietary fiber, 39.5g protein per serving

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 quarts water
  • 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 5 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 (16 ounce) cans chili beans, undrained
  • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine water, chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken, reserve broth. Shred chicken.
  2. In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in olive oil until slightly browned. Stir in salsa, diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, tomato soup, chili powder, corn, chili beans, sour cream, shredded chicken and 5 cups broth. Simmer 30 minutes.
The great thing about this recipe is its flexibility. You can adjust about any quantity to your liking and still enjoy the basic flavors. For those who think it's too bland or too spicy, the solution is to adjust your seasonings as you go. The parsley flakes, onion powder and garlic powder are not so critical, but save adding chili powder and salt for the last, especially because the boullion cubes will be salty. Chili powder intensifies the perception of saltiness, so add it before any salt. Start with half the recipe quantity of spices, wait 5-10 minutes as the soup simmers for the spice flavor to fully release, then taste. Repeat this adjustment cycle as necessary until you're satisfied. We save the sour cream to add at the table, along with shredded cheddar cheese and corn tortilla chips.

Loveleighe

Sweet roasted Red pepper Hummus

Idk if ya'll like mediterranean food but i grew up with it so...

this has about 8 servings, roughly 86 calories... it is great with pita bread plain or baked and is also really good as a veggie dip.

you'll need:
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

1. In an electric blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas, red peppers, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Process, using long pulses, until the mixture is fairly smooth, and slightly fluffy. Make sure to scrape the mixture off the sides of the food processor or blender in between pulses. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (The hummus can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before serving.)
  2. Sprinkle the hummus with the chopped parsley before serving.

Loveleighe

Chickpea Curry roughly 170 calories, 4g fat, 6g protein
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 onions, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, finely chopped
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 2 (2 inch) sticks cinnamon, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • salt
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, and fry onions until tender.
  2. Stir in garlic, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, salt, cayenne, and turmeric. Cook for 1 minute over medium heat, stirring constantly. Mix in garbanzo beans and their liquid. Continue to cook and stir until all ingredients are well blended and heated through. allow for flavors to mesh together for a little while. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro just before serving, reserving 1 tablespoon for garnish.

Loveleighe

chicken satay

• 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup lemon or lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed

1. In a mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, curry powder, garlic and hot pepper sauce. Place the chicken breasts in the marinade and refrigerate. Let the chicken marinate at least 2 hours, overnight is best.
  2. Preheat a grill to high heat.
  3. Weave the chicken onto skewers, then grill for 5 minutes per side.

Loveleighe

Spiced BBQ Shrimp

• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons curry paste
  • 1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined

1. In a shallow dish or resealable bag, mix together the lemon juice, soy sauce, mustard, garlic, brown sugar and curry paste. Add shrimp, and seal or cover. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
  2. Preheat a grill for high heat. When the grill is hot, lightly oil the grate. Thread the shrimp onto skewers, or place in a grill basket for easy handling. Transfer the marinade to a saucepan, and boil for a few minutes.
  3. Grill shrimp for 3 minutes per side, or until opaque. Baste occasionally with the marinade.

msjazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by choseck
I always make my brown rice using chicken broth instead of water, but I'd never thought of 'spicing' it up w/ salsa. I use salsa on EVERYTHING so now I can add brown rice to the list too! Thanks.

th_welcomeemoticonsign.gif

I was never too much a fan for brown rice but i guess anything to spice it up. I found when i mix things in my rice I am more opt to eat it than push it aside, like a pilaf ..

I found a great banana pudding recipe, that i tried and it was to die for but i think thats not heathly so i keep it to myself.

stay motivated and sexy ladies

MAC_Whore

I winged this last night. I just kept adding stuff to the bowl, lol, and it turned out reeealy good.

Avacado Chicken Salad

Boil 1 package of skinless chicken breasts. While the chicken is boiling, mix together:

1/4 cup low fat plain yogurt (add more if you want a creamier texture)
1/4 cup low fat mayo (add more if you want a creamier texture)
1 small avacado (chopped up for easier blending)
3 green onions (chopped)*
1-2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)*
1/8 cup of sliced almonds (toast them in a pan first)
20 red grapes (cut into quarters)
Juice of half a lime
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Mix together

Set above, mixed ingredients aside and remove chicken from stove when fully cooked. Shred the chicken by shaving off pieces with a fork.

Add chicken into the mixed ingredients. Viola, you are done!

DH and I ate the chicken salad in a wrap. We added a handful of baby romaine leaves, the chicken salad and wrapped it up in a heated tortilla. Whilst the wrap and grapes are carbs, they are minimal. The avacado and almonds provide fat, but the good kind that you need. This is delish! Even better the next day
winks.gif

*DH and I LOVE garlic and onions, so we used a lot. You may want to decrease the amount.

LaurelLiz

Homemade Almond Butter Recipe

*Note: You can substitute almonds for cashews, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, or macadamia nuts for variety in this recipe.

Roast two cups of almonds on a baking sheet in your oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Stir the almonds throughout cooking to make sure all sides are roasted. Let the roasted nuts cool for a half hour before the next step.

Put the almonds in a food processor with ¼ teaspoon sea salt and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Process the nuts, oil, and salt on high until you get the consistency you want. Transfer the butter to a tightly sealed container and store it in the refrigerator. The oils and solids may separate over time, so just give it a stir before eating.

Double or triple the recipe to make more butter at a time.

nutbutter.jpg

*This recipe is courtesy of my blog: Laurel on Health Food

Mizz.Yasmine

Chicken Quesadillas
Ingredients

2 tbsp. Chicken broth
1/4 cup Chopped onion
1 Small clove garlic minced
1/4 cup Chopped bell pepper
2 Chili peppers, minced
3Plum tomatoes, chopped
Vegetable cooking spray
8 Flour tortillas
1 cup Reduced fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups Cooked chicken
Garnish: salsa and fat-free sour cream

Preparation

1. In a medium heavy skillet saute the onions, garlic, and peppers in the 2 tablespoons chicken broth until soft.
2. Add the chile peppers and tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes more until the liquid has evaporated.
3. Add the chicken and stir well to combine.
4. Spray a cold skillet with the nonstick spray and heat over medium heat.
5. Place a tortilla in the pan and sprinkle with 1/8 cup cheese.
6. Add about a quarter of the chicken mixture and top with another 1/8 cup cheese.
7. Cover with another tortilla and cook for 2-3 minutes or until brown.
8. Flip the quesadilla over and cook for an additional two minutes.
9. Remove from the heat and cut into wedges.
10. Keep warm while frying the remaining quesadillas.
11. Serve with salsa and fat free sour cream.

SSSOOO Yummy!

stacylynne

As a snack I like Low fat yogurt w/ fresh blueberries

I also make homemade chicken Fajita's w/o oil
- spray pam in pan
- cut up chicken breast put in pan
- add peppers (you can use frozen) so you don't have to do all that cutting
- spices I use: cajan, red pepper, garlic, saffron, pepper (you can use whatever you like to your liking)

- I add about 6 oz. of chicken & 1 cup og peppers to a sep. pan & cook w/ pam & add more spices if needed.

- whole wheat fajita
- 1/8 avacado
- 1 tbsp of low fat sour cream
- 1 oz. sharp cheddar shredded (I shred my own cheese)

This is healthy & if you have kids, they can make they're own fajita.
It's yummy & healthy

DixieHellcat

Newbie kicking in one of my fave recipes!

World's Easiest Muffins

Blend 1 can pumpkin (not the pie filling, the plain pumpkin) and 1 box cake mix of your choice. Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake following package directions.

That's it. Higher in fiber, low fat, and super moist. I love to use spice cake mix, so the pumpkin flavor is noticeable, but you can use anything...In devils food, it is SINFUL. (slurp)

MissKaylee*

All of these recipes look so good ! Here is a stir fry one i like. Put as many vegetables as you want, there is no measurement.

Cook mushrooms, pea pods, bean sprouts and cashews together in a skillet. Put soy or teriyaki sauce over top to taste when almost done cooking.

Put over top of 1-2 cups cooked brown rice.

It's soooooooooo good !

CherryAcid

Here is a super easy recipe i like to make and it is really filling too.
Serves 1
Can of chopped tomatoes
Generous pinch of basil(fresh if you have it)
Handfull of button mushrooms slliced
Tspn of crushed garlic
2 tspn paprika( i use mild variety)
A little splash of olive oil
Portion of pasta(whichever you prefer, or even rice)
Small splash of red wine
1 skinless chicken breast

Put the chicken on a baking tray with the some of the olive oil and sprinkle the paprika on both sides. Cook for 20-25 mins until golden.

Cook pasta according to instructions

When the chicken is nearly done heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan and add the mushrooms. Cook gently for a few mins before adding the tomatoes and cook for a further 3-4 mins. Add the wine and allow to simmer for a min or two. When the chicken is cooked put that in the pan and spoon the mixture over,add the basil and cook on a low heat for 2-3 mins.
Serve with the pasta and with a liitle bit of cheese if you are being naughty.

Ruby_Woo

So i just ate this and I am so full.

1/2 cup of liquid egg whites. (cook it like you would scrambled eggs)
1/4 avocado
2 thin turkey ham slices
1 wheat Pita bread

So I cut the pita in half. Stuff it w/ eggs and ham and avocado, then eat!

its filling and under 300 calories I believe
smiles.gif

Latest posts