Healthy & Happy Recipes

Wattage

At the suggestion of some of our lovely members, I think it's time for a recipe sticky! I am always looking for new ways to cook something, healthy ideas for lunches and tastey snacks that I won't regret later!

Please post your healthy recipes here. Lunches, snacks, dinners - anything that you love and makes you healthy and happy!

Note: to keep the thread fluid and easily readable for all members, please refrain from posting comments or replies in this thread. If you have a question, please post in the main forum. Thanks everyone!

Wattage

Yogurt with Ground Flax & Honey

This has been a lifesaver for me! Not only does it help keep my tummy happy and healthy, it's so easy to make that I look forward to breakfast. A great way to get those omega-3s as well!

1 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1/4 cup ground flax seed
2 tbsp liquid, non-pasteuriuzed honey

Place yogurt, honey and flax in a bowl. Stir with a spoon until mixed - enjoy!

greengrin.gif

MAC_Whore

Salsa Chicken

This is such an easy and healthy way to cook chicken. I won't even pretend to take credit for it. I hijiacked the recipe off of the side of an alumimium foil package.

-1 package of skinless chicken breasts
-Salsa
-Aluminum foil

Preheat the oven to 450. Lay out a piece of foil a bit longer and a bit wider than the chicken breast. I actually recommend doing 2 layers of foil to prevent leaking. Lay the chicken breast on the foil, cover it with salsa, then fold in the top and sides of the foil, making a sealed packet of chicken. Pop those babies on a cookie sheet, toss them in the oven for 20-25ish minutes. Easy Peasy!

The chicken comes out so juicy! The salsa gives great flavor, with virtually no added calories. Sometimes I add other things to enhance the flavor, like:
-A touch of taco seasoning. Not too much as it has a lot of sodium.
-Onions
-Garlic
-Hot sauce
th_remoteImage-61.gif

Anyhow, it's so easy, healthy and quick. I like to cook 3-4 at a time to use later in the week. Enjoy!

Jennifer Mcfly

Black Bean & Artichoke Quesadilla's

Black Bean & Artichoke Quesadilla's

Ingredients:
1 package tortillas (either regular size or burrito size)
1 can Black Beans
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts
1 package shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
2 green onions chopped
1/2 chopped onion (any variety)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Garlic Powder

Simmer black beans covered on med-low with 1 green onion and 1/4 onion. Salt, Pepper & Garlic Powder to taste.

If you are using 2 small tortillas:
lay one flat on a plate. Fill with cooked black beans, cheese, artichoke hearts, onion and green onion.
top with another tortilla and press firmly.
microwave for 45 seconds.
In a non stick skillet heated to med-low and cook on both side until slightly golden brown and filling is hot and cheese is melted. cut and enjoy!

If you are using one large burrito size tortilla:
lay tortilla on a plate. add desired filling to one half of the tortilla. fold the other half over. microwave for 45 seconds. then heat in an ungreased non-stick skillet until slightly golden on both side.

Add sour creme, salsa and/or guacamole and enjoy!!

-(this recipe can be used with any number of fillings. for quick and easy sometimes I use fat free refried beans and low fat mexican blend cheese for a more authentic mexican taste.)

roxybc

I made this recipe for the first time tonight, and it was sooo good. It does use a lot of soy sauce, so beware not to eat too many cuz of the high sodium content (you can also use the low sodium kind of soy sauce), but they are definitly a treat, and as far as I know, relatively low fat - except for the peanut butter, which is high in fat, but it is good fat! I combined a few recipes and made this one my own, and even though I'm not a vegetarian I used the new Yves Veggie Ground Chicken instead of ground chicken and it turned out fantastic!!! Make these for your boyfriend and he'll love you forever!
eyelove.gif

Asian Lettuce Wraps

INGREDIENTS:

Lettuce or cabbage leaves
1 pound lean ground beef, ground chicken or vegetarian option
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped (I didn't use this)
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons minced pickled ginger (or 1-2 teaspoons of bulk ground ginger)
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Asian chili pepper sauce
1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 teaspoons Asian (dark) sesame oil

Peanut sauce:

1/4 cup peanut butter (natural, no added sugar)
1/4 cup hot water
2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1-2 teaspoon hot chili sauce

DIRECTIONS:

1. Rinse whole lettuce leaves and pat dry, being careful not tear them. Set aside.

2. In a medium skillet over high heat, brown the ground beef (or other choice) in 1 tablespoon of oil, stirring often and reducing the heat to medium, if necessary. Drain if necessary, and set aside to cool. Cook the onion in the same pan, stirring frequently. Add back ground before or other ground option, and add the garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, and chile pepper sauce to the onions, and stir. Stir in chopped water chestnuts, green onions, and sesame oil, and continue cooking until the onions just begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.

3. For peanut sauce: Mix peanut butter with hot water and stir with fork until well combined. Add vegan sugar, soy sauce, and hot sauce to taste. This is a rather runny sauce, some prefer it thicker. Simply add less water for a thicker sauce.

4. Arrange lettuce leaves around the outer edge of a large serving platter, and pile meat mixture in the center. To serve, allow each person to spoon a portion of the meat into a lettuce leaf. Wrap the lettuce around the meat like a burrito, dip in peanut sauce and enjoy.

farra712

Cheesy Bean and Rice Bowl​

I don't know if I made this up or if Taco Bell did, but it tastes good either way and I know my version is better for you!

I don't do measurements for this, since it is really how much YOU personally like. Also, you can add or subtract items you like or don't like.

You need:
Fat Free Refried Beans
Brown/Whole Grain Rice
Green onions
Black Beans
Rotel Tomatoes
Fat free shredded cheddar cheese
Chili Powder, Cumin, garlic powder, any other seasoning you like

Put all beans, rice, and spices in a bowl, top with cheese and heat until it is the temperature you like it. Add rotel tomatoes and green onionsand mix it up! (Also, if you substiture the rotel tomatoes and use enchilada sauce instead, it tastes a lot like pintos and cheese, but it is wayyyy better for you!)

ToxicAllure

Here's a really good breakfast. It fills you right up and its pretty easy to make!

Ham-Egg-Brie Strudel

4 Eggs
1 TBSP minced green onion
1 TBSP minced parsley
1/4 TSP salt
1/8 TSP black pepper
1 TBSP vegetable oil
4 sheets phyllo pastry
2 TBSP butter/margarine, melted
3 ounces sliced ham
3 ounces brie cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Beat eggs, green onion, parsley, salt, and pepper together. Heat oil in a skillet on med/low heat, add egg mixture; cook and stir until softly scrambled. Set aside.
3. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large piece of waxed paper. Brush lightly with melted butter. Top with second phyllo; brush with butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets. Arrange half of ham slices near short end of pastry, leaving a 2-inch border around short end and sides. Place scrambled eggs over ham. Cut cheese into small pieces and place over eggs, top with the rest of your ham.
4. Fold in long sides of phyllo; fold short end over ham. Use waved paper to roll pastry to enclosed filling. Place on lihtly greased baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with remaining butter then bake for about 15 mintues or until lightly browned. Slice and serve immediately.

Nutritional Facts

Calories: 251
Total Fat: 18g
Sat. Fat: 7g
Protein: 13g
Carbs: 9g

Wattage

Low-Fat Bran Muffins

1 1/2 cups of wheat bran
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsweentened apple sauce
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup of dried or frozen fruit (I like blueberries, raisins or dried cranberries)

1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. In a small mixing bowl, combine wheat bran, oil and soy milk - stir and set aside.

3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg and brown sugar. Whisk until smooth. Add applesauce, vanilla and molasses, whisk again.

4. In a separate bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt).

5. Prepare baking tin with 6 paper liners for large muffins or 12 paper liners for small muffins (I do 6).

6. Combine dry ingredients and choice of fruit, mix.

7. Add fruit mixture and wheat bran mixture to egg/sugar mix and combine until smooth - do not overmix.

8. Immediately spoon into muffin tin. If you are doing 6, you will fill them up a lot - don't worry, even if they look like they are going to overflow. These muffins do not rise to double their volume - something to keep in mind.

9. Bake for 15 - 25 minutes, depending on the size of your muffins. When I do 6, it takes just a little over 25 mins. 12 is usually just over 15 mins. Test for doneness with a toothpick.

10. Remove and allow to cool - enjoy!! I like mine with a little margarine
winks.gif

choseck

Egg White Egg Bake:

(I got this from my Personal Trainer)

18 egg whites
then basically add whatever vegetables you want:

eg:
onions
green peppers
red peppers
cilantro
tomatoes
(seriously anything)

spray bottom of pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until done.

**Makes six servings.. I'm sure you could half the recipe if you wanted.

ToxicAllure

Banana Blueberry Smoothie

Ok so I saw this on TV the other day and thought I would try it, and I love it! I make it at least once a day.

What you need
1 Cup FROZEN blueberries (it's very important that they are frozen)
1 Banana
2/3 Cup Plain Yogurt

What you do
Dump it all in your blender and blend away until its all nice a creamy

Why I insist on making it everyday
Well...I love

Its super easy, and since your using frozen fruit you don't need ice and since your using yogurt you don't need milk.

Also this recipe is super flexible. You can use ANY kind of plain yogurt you want, low-fat, non-fat, organic. Whatever you want. You can also use vanilla yogurt which I haven't tried yet.

And you can switch up the blueberries. You can use frozen strawberries instead, and frozen fruit really. Oh, AND the measurements are totally up to you you can use as much fruit or as little fruit as you want depending on your taste buds.

I was surprised to see that this was really filling, and it takes me like...one minute to make, just peel the banana seperate a chunk of frozen blueberries, scoup up the yogurt and push blend!

ENJOY!

Corvs Queen

*Turkey, Avacado and Tomato Wraps*

Ingredients:
1/2 of a ripe Avacado
1 small Tomato
3 slices of deli Turkey
1 and a half tablespoons of Non-fat plain yogurt
2 Six inch wheat Tortilla shells
A dash of paprika (the powder seasoning, not peppers)
A dash of pepper

Directions:
Cube Avacado and Tomato into bite size chunks. Mix with Yogurt, Paprika and Pepper. Warm Tortilla shells in microwave. Lay 1 and a half pieces of Turkey flat on each Tortilla. Spoon Tomato and Avacado mixture on top and roll into a wrap. Makes two and man is it delicious.

as_cute_as_pie

this is from my smoothie book from the section called 'easy breakfast blends'

Breakfast Blend

Makes 2 glasses

half a mango
1 banana
1 large orange
2 tbsp wheat bran
1tbsp sesame seeds
(optional) 2-3 tsp honey

1) Using a small sharp knife skin the mango then slice the flesh off the stone (pit). Peel the banana and break it into short lengths then place it in a blender or food processor with the mango

2) Squeeze the juice from the orange and add to the blender or food processor along with the bran sesame seeds and honey. Whizz until the mixture is smooth and creamy, then pour into glasses and serve

Body Builder < lol

In the book says it is perfect before excerise so here it goes

Makes 1 large glass

2tbsp wheatgerm
1 large banana chopped
130g soya yougurt
1tbsp linseeds (flax seeds)
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 large orange
mineral water (optional)

1) Put the wheatgerm, the banana, the yogurt, and linseeds into the blender, blend until smooth then using a plastic spatula scrape down the side of the jug/bowl if neccessary, Stir well

2) Add the lime and orange juice to the yogurt mixture and blend again until evenly mixed. Pour the juice into a large glass and top up with mineral water if desired

JULIA

Pasta with Three-Herb Pesto
Provided by: Cooking Light magazine
"A mixture of different pasta shapes adds visual interest and texture to this meatless main dish." Original recipe yield: 6 servings.

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup fresh parsley sprigs
1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 cups mixed hot whole-wheat cooked pasta (such as farfalle, penne, and shells)

DIRECTIONS:
Place first 7 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. With processor on, slowly pour oil through food chute; process until well-blended. Toss with pasta.

I found this. It calls for whole wheat pasta. I believe that is okay for you. =]

Tyester

Not a recipe but an invention:

Smoothy Machine - pick one up, throw in some fruit, oatmeal, milk, water, eggs, whey protien isolate, creatine, herbs, honey, more fruit, ice, or anything else that tastes good blended, and GO TO TOWN.

I can't exclaim enough...

ette

Whole Wheat Pasta with Raw Tomato Sauce
You will need:
1 package whole wheat linguini
3 organic tomatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
7 leaves of basil, ripped into small pieces
1 clove of garlic, pressed
salt to taste

While cooking the pasta, mix the tomatoes, garlic, basil, and salt to taste in a large bowl. Let sit until pasta is finished cooking. When pasta is done, drain and add into bowl with tomato sauce and toss. Put into refridgerator until chilled.

MAC_Whore

Grilled Salmon with Green Goddess Dressing

My hubby found this recipe on Weber.com. We tried it and man was it good. We substituted the full-fat mayo and sour cream with non-fat and low-fat versions. You can also substitute either the sour cream or mayo with plain low-fat or non-fat yogurt. Don't be tempted to skip the anchovies. They add great flavour (think ceaser dressing).

This recipe is a great example of how using fresh ingredients can give you amazing flavour in small amounts (ergo, less calories). Yeah, don't you hate it when people use the word "ergo"?
smiles.gif

Don't forget to use wild salmon, not farm salmon. You will get much more of a health benefit from the wild version.

Oh yes, and a "shout out" to Wattage. Hubby and I made this recipe with grilled asparagus (which she recommended). AWESOME!

Check out Weber.com (like Weber grills) for more kick-ass healthy recipes. Enjoy!
smiles.gif

For the dressing:

1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon minced scallions
1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 anchovy fillets, minced

4 salmon fillets (with skin), 6 to 8 ounces each and about 1 inch thick
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil

To make the dressing: In a food processor blend the dressing ingredients together.

Season the flesh side of the salmon fillets with salt and pepper to taste. Generously brush or spray the flesh with olive oil. Grill the fillets, flesh side down, over Direct Medium heat until you can lift them with tongs off the grate without sticking, 7 to 8 minutes. Turn the fillets and finish cooking them, skin side down, for 2 to 3 minutes. Slide a spatula between the skin and flesh, and transfer the fillets to serving plates. Spoon the dressing over the fillets. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.

Miss Pumpkin

CARROT CREAM
INGREDIENTS:

1/2 kilo of carrots
1/4 litre of milk
30 grams of butter
Small onion
Salt and pepper

Boil the carrots and the onion in water with a bit of salt, when soft put them in the blender until you make a thin paste.

In a pan, heat up the butter and fry the carrot paste. Add a bit of salt and pepper.

When it boils for around 5 minutes, pour the milk and mix together.

It is sooooooooo yummy and easy!!!

SARAHluvsMAC

So I made this today because I had nothing better to do, its very healthy and yummy though

Sauteed Chicken and Veggies (1 serving)

Ingredients:

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs or Breast (thighs are less likely to dry out)
Bean Sprouts
Mushrooms
Green Pepper
Scallions
Soy Sauce
Garlic
Red Pepper

Start by removing any fat if there is any on the chicken, then cut the chicken into thin strips and place in a bowl.
Add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce to the bowl and stir.
Use a garlic press to press 2 cloves of garlic and add to the bowl, stir.
Cut up all the vegetables (except bean sprouts) into bite size pieces and add to the bowl, add a teaspon of red pepper and stir.

Heat up a pan and spray a little pam, when its hot enough add the contents of the bowl to the pan and reduce heat to medium. It takes about 4 to 5 minutes for the chicken to cook, I like my bell peppers a little on the crunchier side so I serve after 5 minutes of cooking but you can leave it on the stove for 3 or 4 more minutes if desired.

whisper2scream

I'm new to Specktra, but was really excited to see this and wanted to share two recipes for now.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 onion
6 garlic cloves
1 small bunch of cilantro
2 cans of diced tomatoes & chiles (not each, the actual can with both in it)
4 cans Swanson's chicken broth (or 8 cups chicken broth)
14 ounces of corn (frozen or fresh) -- this can be omitted, I've made this often on the fly without the corn
1 lime
4 chicken breasts
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
3/4 tablespoons ground cumin

***corn tortillas, optional***

1. Chop up your garlic and onion. Saute.
2. Add chicken broth and tomatoes & chiles.
3. Bring to boil.
4. Reduce heat, add corn and chicken.
5. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the juice from one lime and chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin **notes** Some people find that these spices are too much since the recipe contains chiles. You may want to try this first without the spices. I like spice, myself.
7. Simmer another 10 minutes.
8. Serve!

Tortillas:

1. Cut corn tortillas into strips.
2. Use a teaspoon of oil to fry them. These burn quickly, so it isn't something to leave on the stove!

The soup is great on its own, so on days where I've hit my calorie limit, I just omit the tortilla strips.

Penne Pesto Pasta (2 servings)

2 chicken breasts (or one large one, depends on how much chicken you want versus pasta)-- baked or cooked
2 cups of penne pasta (I use whole wheat)
1/2 tomato
1/2 shallot
2 tablespoons of pesto
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine

1. Dice shallot and saute. I use a bit of non-stick cooking spray to saute rather than waste calories on oil.
2. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1/2 cup white wine. You're going to create a reduction with these. Basically, you want to cook this until you reduce the portion by half. On high, this takes about 6-7 minutes.
3. Fix your pasta as directed on the box.
4. Dice your tomato and chicken. Add this to the reduction mixture after it appears the mixture has been reduced by half.
5. Drain your pasta, place in bowl.
6. Mix in your reduction mixture.
7. Mix in your pesto.

One serving is 362 calories.

Also, this tastes fantastic subbing in shrimp for chicken.

neverfadetogray

alright, here are some meat and dairy-free recipes. :] i'm fasting from meat and dairy for lent, and i said i'd post some in the lent thread, so here they are...
first off, here's the recipe for tofu sour cream, which is used in one of the soups i also included.

Tofu Sour Cream
(makes 1 1/4 cups or 20 tablespoon servings)
Ingredients:
1 cup soft tofu
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Use as a replacement for sour cream.

Chilled Cucumber-Spinach Soup
10-12 ounces chopped fresh spinach, steamed until wilted
2 cups non-fat milk, or tofu/soy milk
2 cups plain yogurt, or Tofu Sour Cream (listed above)
1 large cucumber, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons fresh dill, minced, or 3 teaspoons dry dill leaves
1 teaspoon curry powder

Directions:
Combine all ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Chill well before serving.

Avocado Sunshine Sandwich
2 slices whole wheat bread
1/2 avocado, peeled, seeded, and sliced
3 thick slices tomato
4 slices cucumber
alfalfa sprouts, to taste
1 tablespoon scallions, chopped (optional)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise, or 2 tablespoons nondairy mayonnaise (try veganaise)
garlic powder to taste
oregano to taste

Directions:
Spread mayonnaise on each slice of bread and sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano to taste.
Layer ingredients on bread.

(This sandwich is awesome, try it with salsa too. :])

Guacamole
2 avocadoes, peeled, pitted, and mashed
1/2 small sweet onion, minced finely
1/4 cup tomatoes, chopped finely (optional)
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions:
In small mixing bowl, combinate avocado, onion, tomatoes, lime juice, and garlic salt.
To prevent discoloring, cover top of dip with plastic wrap, taking care to remove all air. Chill and serve.

Oriental Tofu-Peanut Sauce over Rice
(serves 4)
Ingredients:
4 cups cooked rice (I used 1/2 package of angelhair pasta once, and it was fine)
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound soft tofu, drained
2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter (smooth will work fine too)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 scallions, chopped finely

Directions:
In skillet, saute onion and garlic in a little oil until softened.
Drain tofu and crumble into sauteed mixture.
Stir in peanut butter and soy sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer.
Add chopped scallions and simmer 1 to 2 minutes more.
Serve immediately over rice or noodles.

Tuscany-style Pasta
(seves 6-8 )
Ingredients:
1 pound angelhair pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
10-12 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped, or 2 tablespoons dry basil leaves
3 tablespoons capers
1 roasted red pepper, peeled and chopped
1 cup sundried tomatoes (dried and rehydrated or in oil)
1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 cups carrots, thinly sliced diagonally (optional)

Directions:
In large pot, start the water for the pasta. While this water is coming to a boil, begin making the sauteed vegetable mixture.
In large skillet over medium-high temperature saute garlic cloves until tender. Turn temperature down a little and add mushrooms. Cook until they are tender. Toss in the basil, capers, chopped roasted peppers, dried tomatoes, and fresh tomatoes and heat thoroughly. Set aside.
Add pasta and carrots to boiling water and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the pasta is just tender. (Make sure the carrots are sliced on the diagonal very thinly. If not, they won't cook to the al dente stage in this short amount of time.) Drain pasta and carrots in colander.
Pour half of the drained pasta and carrots back into the pan they were cooked in and add part of the garlic-vegetable sauce. Toss well to coat pasta evenly.
Add the remaining pasta and carrots and garlic-vegetable sauce and toss well again to coat all pasta.
Serve immediately.

Corn Paella with Sweet Red Peppers
Ingredients:
1 tablesoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped small
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup short grain brown rice
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cups veggie broth
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 red pepper, cut into strips
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cup corn kernels (frozen or fresh)
bit of salt and pepper
1/2 cup cooked black beans or other beans

Directions
In a large nonstick skillet, heal oil over medium heat; saute onion, garlic and rice for 8 minutes or until onion is soft. Add spices, cook 1 minute. Pour in the broth and some salt and pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Stir in peppers and tomatoes, cover and cook another 15 minutes. Then stir in corn and beans, cook covered for 5 more minutes.]

I haven't cooked this yet but will sometime this week...I believe I found it in the vegancooking community on LJ.

Couscous w/ Spinach-Tomato Garnish
FOR THE COUSCOUS
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup uncooked Couscous

Directions:
Bring water, salt, and oil to a boil. Pour in couscous, stir quickly, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for five minutes, then fluff with a fork and serve.

FOR THE GARNISH
Ingredients:
2 cups thinly shredded fresh rinsed spinach (do not dry the spinach)
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
3 stalks chopped green onion
2 gloves garlic, minced

Directions:
While the couscous is cooking, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook until fragrant and slightly softened. Add in sun-dried tomatoes, and cook until warm. Quickly add in the wet spinach, and cook over low heat until wilted (be careful not to overcook.)
Spoon couscous onto a plate, and top with spinach garnish. Sprinkle with a small amount of olive oil, and salt if desired.
I think I got this from another recipe community on LJ and slightly modified it. I made this with rice and pasta and it was fine. :]

will possibly update with more later!

Latest posts