Eczema Sufferers

nursee81

Well I don't have eczema but my 2 yr old does, it started as dry skin on her elbows when i asked her dr he said just keep applying moisturizer and it didn't get better. so he give me a rx for cortizone lotion and that really didn't work. so finally i took her to the derm and got a rx for desonide for when it acts up it seems to help and has it under control for now. I use cetaphil bodywash and lotion. i recently got a sample from lush and used it twice. i also have to wash her cloths with free and clear soap.My only concern is that when she gets older will it get worse will she be able to wear mu and not irritate her skin. My poor baby.

MAChostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimerbijoux
My excema seems to be controlled now, i'm just left with dark "scars" left by it! Anyone know how to get rid of them?

You could always try a scar treatment ointment like Maderma, I think it's called. Time is always the best remedy, though. They'll eventually fade on their own.

Korms

I'm having a really bad outbreak on my hands and arms at the moment. I normally only get a breakout on my hands after a clinical placement (I am a student nurse so the constant handwashing does me no favours) and was thankful I had escaped this term eczema free. So, imagine my disappointment when I woke up on Saturday (1 day after the end of term!) to find I'd been shredding my skin in my sleep
ssad.gif

I'm trying to convince my BF not to use fabric conditioner when washing his bed linen, and change his brand of washing powder to one that is friendly to my skin as I think that is what has broken me out this weekend (I was staying over on Friday night). Washing detergents seem to be my biggest trigger at the moment.

I'm just so frustrated that it's happened! I've got some Doublebase emollient left from my last prescription and a small amount of Betnovate cream. Hopefully that will clear it up quickly as I can't afford a new prescription at the moment (each item is around £7). The Betnovate works well, but I dislike using steroid creams often.

CellyCell

I've made my own concoction of creams because the over counter stuff and prescribed medications weren't working at all in relieving itch. And to think it has steroids freaked me out a bit...

I use the big tub of Eucerin (or the store version of this cream) to put all the stuff in it. I put some vitamin E oil in 70,000 iu - from Sundown. It was like, $13 for 4 bottles - I just used one. Whatever prescribed cream I had, I put half of it in (it was the travel size). And Cetaphil lotion for dry sensitive skin. Just mixed the whole thing up and use it after my showers or when I itch. This worked so much - and the vitamin E oil has helped with scaring as well. It leaves my skin very smoothed and not dull looking.

I have this huge flarup on my ankle - I'd take a picture of it but I'm embarressed, and just using it every other day after I shower - the look reduced tremendously, not scaley no more and doesn't itch in the middle of night like it use to.

seabird

when i was little i had 'normal' eczema, just around the backs of my knees etc except one day when i was about 13 my lips suddenly dried out so much and i didn't have lipbalm or any access to some all day, so i just licked my lips. that pretty much then triggered severe eczema, however it never itched. i discovered through process of elimination that it was from oranges, and red food colouring that triggered it, and whenever my lips were very dry. i used daktacort for about 2 years then it improved somewhat, but never went. it started to get dramatically worse a few weeks back and started to go into scabs, so i went to the doctors and was prescribed hydrocortisone with anti-bacterial stuff in it and it's completely cleared, not even a sign i ever had it apart from some very mild skin discolouration. i'm thinking perhaps it was slightly infected all along which is why it never cleared up
ssad.gif
just glad i've got rid of it now. so, there is hope!

katharineism

For all my life (I'm sixteen now) I've had really bad eczema. As a kid I had it on my inner elbows and back of my knees mostly, now it has just been concentrated mostly on my left wrist and front of the neck. It sucks! It got really bad (front of my neck turned purpley, yes, very gross and embarrassing) until ... drum roll, please ... we met someone who sold Market America products. Market America is AMAZING! In just a matter of weeks my eczema improved dramatically, and even though I have really bad flare ups, like today, it's ten times better than how it used to be. I take the OPC-3, Digestive Enzymes and other powder supplements every day. It's really worth it.

I also use LUSH Dream Cream, Honey I washed the kids soap, and other LUSH products :]

macluvermre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obreathemykiss
Gosh, it's so nice to know I'm not alone.

When I was a little girl, my mom used to use Nivea religously all over me. I didn't realize I had eczema this badly until recently when I was rubbing my arm and felt a weird patch...sooner or later, both of the tops of my arms are covered in little whitish circles, and sometimes there are red ones, odd shapes, weird texture, etc.

It makes me so self conscious because my boyfriend always says "babe make sure you put your cream on" and tells me (not in a rude way) when it's getting REALLY bad. I hate it. It has now developed on parts of my tummy, my thighs, and a little guy on my face. It makes me want to cry when I see myself.

Especially with summer coming up, I'm not going to be wearing long sleeves anymore!

I made an appt for the dermatoligist months ago, and I can't get in until next month because they're so packed with patients.

I went to my family medicine doctor and she said she can't really do anything about it other than suggest hydrocoritsone.

Aside from that, I have this weird rash thing that is under my nose and on my chin. I looked it up online and I think I have Perioral dermatitis. It is so ugly! I hate it. Sometimes it burns, gets scabbish and peels.

Hopefully the dermatologist can fix me ASAP.

....This rash (under the nose & chin), it's exactly what I developed out of nowhere this year. Dr. says it's from being stressed. He said cortisone or anti-inflammatory meds, but I have branched out to search for myself and found that EMU OIL (pure) and EMU oil lotion (has almond oil in it), is working the best so far. If nothing else, I have to say that this product is the best moisturizer I have ever tried, not to mention that it does not cost alot of money at all, considering what we shell out for makeup alone
smiles.gif
. I would definitely recommend this to anyone. It doesn't clog your pores either and is absorbed very quickly into my skin (before makeup). Under the nose and in the chin area, is an awful place to get it, very strange to me - but this is working well. Also, washing it a couple times a day with cold antibacterial soap (a qtip is fine), then a tiny drop of EMU oil, and you are set. This stuff is great. HTH someone...Glad I came across this post!

syrene78

Besides Emu Oil, some cheaper alternative oils great for dermatitis are Meadowfoam oil and Evening Primrose Oil.
Emu is great but it is an animal fat so a lot of people don't want to use it.
I wrote a few months ago that since I started making my own natural skincare and soaps my eczema got a lot better.
No, it has COMPLETELY CLEARED UP!
As you may know, ezcema is some kind of allergy. I suspect my allergy to be to the SLS that we find in hand and body soap as well as shampoos.
SLS is a surfactant and makes your soaps foam a lot but the sulfate is really bad for sensitive skins.
Since I stopped using synthetic products and used my soaps instead, the eczema disappeared.
Read your labels and try to understand them better. It may solve your problems.

MrsRjizzle

This thread has been so helpful! I dont know what I have, but they arms and legs itch terribly when I get out of the shower and then randomly at diffrent times during the day. What was mentioned about food really makes since to me. When im eating healthy and excercising it doesnt seem to be as bad. I went to the dermatologist and he couldnt really tell me anything. He said come in "when its flaring" ok, kinda hard to plan so I never went back. I have used so many things. So far the best lotion that helps me is the gold bond intensive moisture cream and there is a new euciren body wash that is an oil based and not cream. It makes a huge diffrence in my skin. also burts bees has this almond baby oil I think. I spray it on my legs and arms right before I get out of the shower... really helps. Its crazy cause I have never ad a problem untill the last couple years....

jalisha

my brother has eczema, it used to flare up pretty bad..
he was prescribed cortizon (sp?) and now it isnt as bad as before

ohnna-lee

I haven't read through the pages but wanted to tell of my problem with eczema a few months back.

I had been dealing with a lot and was stressed to the max. My hands were always in gloves and I developed it when I have never had it before. I was told by a friend to use olive oil. I did and in a couple days it cleared and I have not had a repeat.

deadSAVVY

I hate eczema! I personally have been suffering for 8 yrs. now and die everytime I have an outbreak!
ssad.gif
At first I thought I had an allergic reaction to some estee lauder perfumed lotion, but when I went to the doctors they told me it was a rash and would go away. Until I couldn't stop scratching and scarring. When I'd sweat it would burn my skin! But over the years I've changed doctors and I now use a prescribed hydrocortisone cream 2.5% and any form of Eucerine lotions. That brand is a god send!! Really, I would get breakouts with every drastic change in the weather (summer, winter, PA weather) and I would put some of the cream on with some Eucerine on top, and Voila! It's a miracle worker. Although it is a topical steroid, I don't use it for long periods of time. I have to be careful though because I get itchy whenever I'm the slightest dry skinned. Nivea lotion for extremely dry skin works wonders as well on less sensitive days.

I'm rambling ladies and gents, but I share your pain!

I use Eucerin like deadSavvy-it's great for all the flareups on my body, but I still have a massive ugly patch of eczema on my right cheek. It's horrible and I can't cover it with makeup or it gets worse
ssad.gif

I use cortisone cream but another thing I've found that helps is that I switched to no 'poo for my hair (I don't use shampoo, just the occasional apple cider vinegar or baking soda and water rinse) and I'm trying oil cleansing on my face. Since I've done that it's really helped the flareups above my shoulders. *knock on wood*
winks.gif

keela1967

I use emu oil and not only did it take away my eczema but also made lines and wrinkles go away. I now use it on my entire face and neck! Love it!
I found it to be reasonably priced for 1 oz at flufferella

x0j3s5ica0x

im a eczema sufferer as well and i hate it! recently i purchased cetaphil moisturizer and cleanser. i'll see how that goes. anyways, its good to know how much support there is in here. i'm thinking of trying out the Lush Dream Cream.

BloodyWellRight

I have eczema and it was really bad when I was a child. It's gotten better over the years because I know how to treat it...but this last summer it was HORRIBLE! It was probably the humid weather or something, but the inside of my arms were constantly raw and red. Thankfully it's toned down since them. Occasionally I have to use prescription lotion for it.

kchan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0j3s5ica0x
im a eczema sufferer as well and i hate it! recently i purchased cetaphil moisturizer and cleanser. i'll see how that goes. anyways, its good to know how much support there is in here. i'm thinking of trying out the Lush Dream Cream.

When I was a young child, I alternated Cetaphil cleanser with soap in the shower.

MAG0TS0UUL

I have totally severe eczema to the point where ive tried different creams, steroids, and a treatment where I had to go to my dermatologist once a week and stand in a UV box thing. Elidel didn't work for me and I used Elecon when I was a child. what sucks is now I'm in college and i don't have health insurance.
ssad.gif
does anyone know any home remedies? and which makeup brands work well wth eczema?

MAChostage

Lately I've heard about a petrolatum-based product called "Egyptian Magic". I Googled it and it's pretty pricey. I also discovered a health food store in my area that carries it. The reviews of it are glowing! I would love to try it, but that price turns me off.

Latest posts