Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 Last

MAC FAQ: Back2MAC (B2M)

From MACcosmetics.com:
    Quote:
    Back to M·A·C Program

As a part of a pro-environment commitment to recycle/reuse waste, M·A·C recycles its primary packaging through the Back to M·A·C Program. M·A·C encourages our customers to return primary packaging of many M·A·C products to M·A·C counters. This packaging is then forwarded to appropriate recycling centers. By returning six (6) M·A·C primary packaging containers to a M·A·C counter, you will receive a free M·A·C Lipstick of your choice [except for the Viva Glams]. This is how we thank you for helping the environment through recycling.

Most primary packaging of M·A·C products is accepted as Back to M·A·C "currency." M·A·C does not accept the following as a part of the program:
    • Secondary packaging of any sort [paper box, plastic/cellophane wrapper, shopping bags, etc.]
    • Samples [sample containers, special/trial size products for promotional/seasonal kits]
    • Cosmetic applicators/tools [disposables, puffs, sponges, scissors, spatulas, swabs, sharpeners, tweezers, curlers]
    • Accessories [bags, belts, makeup cases, lashes, Blot Film]

In addition to our "Back to M·A·C Program," M·A·C uses minimal packaging and recycled paper to paperboard packaging in our offices, manufacturing and distribution facilities. Vegetable-based inks are used for printing whenever possible. At M·A·C we share your concerns about the environment and we are continually looking for ways to address those concerns while providing our customers with complete product satisfaction and safety.

Can I take my eyeshadow/blush pots in for Back2MAC despite having depotted? What if I'm missing the inner piece that held the pan/what if the inner piece is melted?
    Yes, you can return the containers for Back2MAC despite having depotted. This includes if you do not have the inner piece, or if the inner piece is melted.

Do they have to be empty?
    No, items do not have to be empty.
    J'aurais voulu ne pas mourir, j'aurais voulu ne jamais grandir, j'aurais voulu me casser l'ame.

Specktra.net FAQ Forum: http://specktra.net/forumdisplay.php?f=190
    Specktra Industry Discussion Forum: http://specktra.net/forumdisplay.php?f=194

Quote:
    Originally Posted by martygreene
    Do they have to be empty?
    No, items do not have to be empty.

Even a tube of mascara? I still have mascara left in my tube, but it's now 3 months old and is clumpy and basically I can no longer use it. They'll still take it that way?

Yes, definitely. I have returned lots of mascara tubes in the past which had seen better days and which weren't empty.
    Sarah - Flying M·A·Caholic

Oh, and can you only return stuff to a freestanding store? Or will counters accept it?

Counters will accept returns too.

Thanks Now I'm excited cuz I'm going to MAC this weekend and I think I have enough empties for a lipstick.

Do the empty pigment sized jars you can buy from the Pro stores count? I have an empty one I bought and never ever used and I can't see myself using it. Can I use it as B2M?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by succubus
    Do the empty pigment sized jars you can buy from the Pro stores count? I have an empty one I bought and never ever used and I can't see myself using it. Can I use it as B2M?

I don't believe so, but you may wish to call and ask.
    J'aurais voulu ne pas mourir, j'aurais voulu ne jamais grandir, j'aurais voulu me casser l'ame.

I'd be surprised if it was allowed because the economics are against it. I think the empty jars retail for about $2.50 each. There wouldn't be much of a margin if you bought six of these and exchanged them. It would mean you could exchange $15 worth of purchase for a $14 lipstick. If you consider that regular pigments sell for $18.50, six would cost $99 and you can see how M·A·C can make enough margin to cover a $14 lipstick out of this and still make a profit.

Of course I'm over-simplifying things because the lipsticks don't actually cost M·A·C $14 to make but it does give a general idea why they might not take the jars they sell as empties.

It had a recycle thing on the container, but I just emptied one of my pigments into it and took the empty pigment jar instead. But then I forgot to take them into the mall with me anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by succubus
    It had a recycle thing on the container, but I just emptied one of my pigments into it and took the empty pigment jar instead. But then I forgot to take them into the mall with me anyway.

Don't you hate that!
    "The best thing is to look natural, but it takes makeup to look naturalâ -Calvin Klein
    My Traincase:http://specktra.net/showthread.php?p=317953#post317953
    www.myspace.com/craftjane

Can you B2M the plastic casing that the holiday mini sets came in? That's alot of plastic. It has the recycling sign on the back, but I'm not too sure. It would make sense I think.

Mini sets- the casing PLUS the empty minis, count as ONE empty. Don't ask me why, and please don't shoot the messenger.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by martygreene
    Mini sets- the casing PLUS the empty minis, count as ONE empty. Don't ask me why, and please don't shoot the messenger.

Hmm, well that will take forever to use up. Thanks!

There's also a limit, I just found out. Macy's will only take 12 at a time, only enough for 2 tubes at one given time. So I'm going back tomorrow.
    "The best thing is to look natural, but it takes makeup to look naturalâ -Calvin Klein
    My Traincase:http://specktra.net/showthread.php?p=317953#post317953
    www.myspace.com/craftjane

Question

This may be a dumb question but I'll go ahead and ask: Does an empty eye lash holder thing count as a back2MAC?
    MAC = LOVE

"I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy."
    -*Marilyn Monroe*
    "It's all make believe, isn't it?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllINeedIsMac
    There's also a limit, I just found out. Macy's will only take 12 at a time, only enough for 2 tubes at one given time. So I'm going back tomorrow.

Yes, at some places they are very picky. However, if you find a good MAC counter they will take back as many as you have. I have returned enough for 8 new lipsticks and I didn't have one problem from the SA. I go to that counter all the time and I never walk away with less than 4 lipsticks.

I can't get to the MAC counter often so I usually bring in my B2Mac all at once a few times a year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbie_doll_713
    This may be a dumb question but I'll go ahead and ask: Does an empty eye lash holder thing count as a back2MAC?

From what I've heard, it does count!
    *Pura Vida*Costa Rica*

I've thrown away empty mascara after empty mascara. It only occurred to me this weekend that I could've used them for Back2Mac. I am seriously bummed now

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pimptress
    I've thrown away empty mascara after empty mascara. It only occurred to me this weekend that I could've used them for Back2Mac. I am seriously bummed now

Aaaw, i feel your pain. I've thrown away so many mascara tubes, empty lipglasses, and powder compacts. I didn't even think about it.
    MAC = LOVE

"I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy."
    -*Marilyn Monroe*
    "It's all make believe, isn't it?"

I wanted to let the German girls know that there is no B2M in Germany because of our recycling system "Der grüne Punk" ggrrrrr
    have you ever smiled for too long, till you're aching?
    have you ever laughed till you cried, till your heart is breaking? - Moloko

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miss_Behave
    I wanted to let the German girls know that there is no B2M in Germany because of our recycling system "Der grüne Punk" ggrrrrr

But I'm pretty sure that you can mail you empties to MAC with 3 color choice for a lippie and they will send it to you. Could be misinformed though.
    "Life is an overwhelming proposition."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corv's Queen
    But I'm pretty sure that you can mail you empties to MAC with 3 color choice for a lippie and they will send it to you. Could be misinformed though.

to which mac? in the USA? hmm, I wonder if they would do it and pay the shipping charges

I'm not really sure but one thing I am certain of is that Marty the Mod will most likely know. I remember reading it somewhere but for the life on me I can't find it. Sorry. And like I said, I might be misinformed.

no problem and thanks anyway! (that would be so cool!)

Yeah, it really sucks that us ladies here in Europe don't have the luxeries that the U.S. and Canadian chicas have. I really look forward to going home just so I can do all those things and get all the goodies that we still don't have here. Like at during the first week of December, my husband and I drove to Munich so that I could go to MAC. I was really excited about getting a Shimpagne Mineralize Skinfinish, well I asked about them because I didn't see any on display. And the MA said "What are those?" So, she went to ask another girl about them and she said that they still haven't gotten them in. But at least she knew what they were. God, I HATE IT!!!!

Heres another dumb B2M question - what about the leftover stub of a kohl pencil and the lid? Can that be used?

Nope. It has to be a glass, plastic or metal container.

Question: the wipes holder (that plastic baggy type thing) does that count?

I'm assuming it does from the description, but I just want to check

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrownSugar
    Heres another dumb B2M question - what about the leftover stub of a kohl pencil and the lid? Can that be used?

Thanks..... I was wondering the same thing... now I know.... crap I would definately be getting my free l/s soon if that were the case

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 Last