MAC FAQ: Back2MAC (B2M)

martygreene

From MACcosmetics.com:
Quote:
Back to M·A·C Program

As a part of a pro-environment commitment to recycle/reuse waste, M·A·C recycles its primary packaging through the Back to M·A·C Program. M·A·C encourages our customers to return primary packaging of many M·A·C products to M·A·C counters. This packaging is then forwarded to appropriate recycling centers. By returning six (6) M·A·C primary packaging containers to a M·A·C counter, you will receive a free M·A·C Lipstick of your choice [except for the Viva Glams]. This is how we thank you for helping the environment through recycling.

Most primary packaging of M·A·C products is accepted as Back to M·A·C "currency." M·A·C does not accept the following as a part of the program:
  • Secondary packaging of any sort [paper box, plastic/cellophane wrapper, shopping bags, etc.]
  • Samples [sample containers, special/trial size products for promotional/seasonal kits]
  • Cosmetic applicators/tools [disposables, puffs, sponges, scissors, spatulas, swabs, sharpeners, tweezers, curlers]
  • Accessories [bags, belts, makeup cases, lashes, Blot Film]
In addition to our "Back to M·A·C Program," M·A·C uses minimal packaging and recycled paper to paperboard packaging in our offices, manufacturing and distribution facilities. Vegetable-based inks are used for printing whenever possible. At M·A·C we share your concerns about the environment and we are continually looking for ways to address those concerns while providing our customers with complete product satisfaction and safety.

Can I take my eyeshadow/blush pots in for Back2MAC despite having depotted? What if I'm missing the inner piece that held the pan/what if the inner piece is melted?
Yes, you can return the containers for Back2MAC despite having depotted. This includes if you do not have the inner piece, or if the inner piece is melted.

Do they have to be empty?
No, items do not have to be empty.

succubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
Do they have to be empty?
No, items do not have to be empty.

Even a tube of mascara? I still have mascara left in my tube, but it's now 3 months old and is clumpy and basically I can no longer use it. They'll still take it that way?

caffn8me

Yes, definitely. I have returned lots of mascara tubes in the past which had seen better days and which weren't empty.

succubus

Thanks
smiles.gif
Now I'm excited cuz I'm going to MAC this weekend and I think I have enough empties for a lipstick.

succubus

Do the empty pigment sized jars you can buy from the Pro stores count? I have an empty one I bought and never ever used and I can't see myself using it. Can I use it as B2M?

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by succubus
Do the empty pigment sized jars you can buy from the Pro stores count? I have an empty one I bought and never ever used and I can't see myself using it. Can I use it as B2M?

I don't believe so, but you may wish to call and ask.

caffn8me

I'd be surprised if it was allowed because the economics are against it. I think the empty jars retail for about $2.50 each. There wouldn't be much of a margin if you bought six of these and exchanged them. It would mean you could exchange $15 worth of purchase for a $14 lipstick. If you consider that regular pigments sell for $18.50, six would cost $99 and you can see how M·A·C can make enough margin to cover a $14 lipstick out of this and still make a profit.

Of course I'm over-simplifying things because the lipsticks don't actually cost M·A·C $14 to make but it does give a general idea why they might not take the jars they sell as empties.

succubus

It had a recycle thing on the container, but I just emptied one of my pigments into it and took the empty pigment jar instead. But then I forgot to take them into the mall with me anyway.

AllINeedIsMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by succubus
It had a recycle thing on the container, but I just emptied one of my pigments into it and took the empty pigment jar instead. But then I forgot to take them into the mall with me anyway.

Don't you hate that!

ruby_soho

Can you B2M the plastic casing that the holiday mini sets came in? That's alot of plastic. It has the recycling sign on the back, but I'm not too sure. It would make sense I think.

martygreene

Mini sets- the casing PLUS the empty minis, count as ONE empty. Don't ask me why, and please don't shoot the messenger.

ruby_soho

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
Mini sets- the casing PLUS the empty minis, count as ONE empty. Don't ask me why, and please don't shoot the messenger.

Hmm, well that will take forever to use up. Thanks!

AllINeedIsMac

There's also a limit, I just found out. Macy's will only take 12 at a time, only enough for 2 tubes at one given time. So I'm going back tomorrow.

blueyedlady87

Question

This may be a dumb question but I'll go ahead and ask: Does an empty eye lash holder thing count as a back2MAC?

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllINeedIsMac
There's also a limit, I just found out. Macy's will only take 12 at a time, only enough for 2 tubes at one given time. So I'm going back tomorrow.

Yes, at some places they are very picky. However, if you find a good MAC counter they will take back as many as you have. I have returned enough for 8 new lipsticks and I didn't have one problem from the SA. I go to that counter all the time and I never walk away with less than 4 lipsticks.

I can't get to the MAC counter often so I usually bring in my B2Mac all at once a few times a year.

SalsaOnTheBeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_doll_713
This may be a dumb question but I'll go ahead and ask: Does an empty eye lash holder thing count as a back2MAC?

From what I've heard, it does count!

Pimptress

I've thrown away empty mascara after empty mascara. It only occurred to me this weekend that I could've used them for Back2Mac. I am seriously bummed now
ssad.gif

blueyedlady87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimptress
I've thrown away empty mascara after empty mascara. It only occurred to me this weekend that I could've used them for Back2Mac. I am seriously bummed now
ssad.gif

Aaaw, i feel your pain. I've thrown away so many mascara tubes, empty lipglasses, and powder compacts. I didn't even think about it.
ssad.gif

Latest posts