Anyone have an opinion re: working with Bobbi Brown?

pale blue

Nordstrom MAC and BB employees are commissioned, which is great since they are usually the top 2 counters at stores. I do enjoy working at the Bobbi counter, regardless of all the Bobbi makeup 'rules'; I'm just used to them now.

sadieboo

At my counter, we were not on commission and made more than the other counters. But it probably evened out because the other counters did make commission on their sales.

I got a kick out of the poster above saying that Bobbi customers buy it for themselves and every female relative, etc. That is so true!!! It was especially noticeable around Christmas. I am not sure why it is, but for some reason BB customers just think the whole world needs her stuff.

I loved working at that counter but have left to go to school full time. I miss playing with makeup! Y'all that still do are so lucky!

sadieboo

I was at a counter located in a Belk in Daphne, AL. It was a fun job. There was a Laura Mercier counter there, too - I wear a little of both lines. Bobbi Brown was a great company to work for - can't say the same for Belk!
ssad.gif

pixichik77

HAHAHA!! I know what you mean, I work in Winston-Salem, NC at a Belk. *sigh* My counter is fabulous, the people are wonderful, but the company does not understand how to treat their employess, and it's getting worse.

DoeEyedGirl

I hate to be the Debbie Downer in the room, but my friend (who was once a MAC artist) works for Bobbi Brown and calls it "serving time". She can't wait to leave the line! She says that the 10 steps of Bobbi is so dogmatic and devoid of any creativity. The foundations are sooooo yellow! I don't know...I'm sure the experience varies from location to location, but I do know that the photography and makeup in her books are HORRID! I would be embarrassed if any of those pictures were in my portfolio....uneven blending, splotchiness, bad foundation matches and ashiness.....seriously, check out the pictures in her books...yuck! Just my opinion.....Amazing what financial backing can get you?!?

sadieboo

I hate to be the Debbie Downer in the room, but my friend (who was once a MAC artist) works for Bobbi Brown and calls it "serving time". She can't wait to leave the line! She says that the 10 steps of Bobbi is so dogmatic and devoid of any creativity. The foundations are sooooo yellow! I don't know...I'm sure the experience varies from location to location, but I do know that the photography and makeup in her books are HORRID! I would be embarrassed if any of those pictures were in my portfolio....uneven blending, splotchiness, bad foundation matches and ashiness.....seriously, check out the pictures in her books...yuck! Just my opinion.....Amazing what financial backing can get you?!?

I know that compared to MAC, Bobbi Brown is pretty plain - but a big part of the BB 'philosophy' is finding a makeup look that just accentuates what a person already has. Also, lots of emphasis is put on the idea of being able to apply your day's makeup in under five minutes. That's what the 10 step is all about. I think you can look at the tester colors and see that BB isn't going to push the envelope.

At my counter, we would get tons of customers of all ages who either had never worn makeup or wanted a natural look. I think that because of what BB puts out there in terms of publicity, her customer tends to fall into more of a 'natural girl' category.

You clearly weren't impressed with the book
smiles.gif
! I have never noticed splotchiness or bad foundation matches, just VERY natural looks on women of all ages. Depending on your personal style and taste, this may not be for you.

MacGirlDay

Hi all
wavey.gif
- I'm new to the board, found it while looking for information about Bobbi Brown. I am currently interviewing for a counter position. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with that company, either from working for them or knowing someone who did/does. Any comments, pro or con, would be helpful right now!
Hi are u still with the company?! Can you tell me about your interview process

Joannelucxox

Hi guys, need help!!!!!!
I have an interview tomorrow over the phone for Bobbi Brown!!!! Slightly scared as I'm not sure what to expect. I work in House Of Fraser through an agency at the moment so I know some of the girls on the Bobbi counter, I have asked them what to expect but just want some more info? Is it more a get to know thing?? thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gracey2384

Heyyy, I have an interview for bobbi brown this week, can anyone give me an idea of what questions r asked or what they expect of you in an interview ( I haven't been to an interview in 4 years) yikessss :shock: thanks

missmichelle

Actually, I came from Estee lauder and just got a position with BB and the salaries are completely diff. BB pays way more.

RiRo

Ive got an interview on tuesday with them, my process took alot longer than expected .. Nearly 2 months :/ im feeling quite confident and hoping for the best. On average how much do they pay? My current job pays me £10 an hour but its not for a make up company and im trying to get my foot into the make up industry so i just wanted to have an idea on how much on average they pay, thanks :)

I always find it kind of funny when people say the Bobbi look is boring and talk about how crazy colorful MAC is or any other lines. We are only capable of what our clients ask for. I've had people request something crazy from me at Bobbi and I know girls at MAC ask for natural looks. In my latest training they were showing much more dramatic looks and the fall collections are not exactly the Bobbi look anymore.

I think one of the greatest thing about Bobbi is she wants every woman to be their own makeup artist. I think that's why so many woman buy EVERYTHING for themselves, their daughters, and their second cousins. It gives them a lot of power to do what we do to themselves.

I can't speak for the pay scale at my store. I'm higher paid than the other girl at my counter but I also had a lot more experience. We are commission but it feels like such a small chunk of my paycheck.

As for the interview process, I think it's a little different for everyone. I interviewed at the store level first, quickly did the BB AE interview on the phone, then had to do a Talent+ (my second one), and it took a few weeks for me to be scheduled for an audition. The other girl at my counter didn't have an audition. I think the Talent+ is the most important for BB and any EL company. It's like the Bible of hiring people.. I think it's silly.

But I do love Bobbi Brown. I love the trainings I've had. I love the people I've met through the company. I think it's a wonderful company to work for!

Latest posts