Anyone have an opinion re: working with Bobbi Brown?

sadieboo

Hi all
wavey.gif
- I'm new to the board, found it while looking for information about Bobbi Brown. I am currently interviewing for a counter position. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with that company, either from working for them or knowing someone who did/does. Any comments, pro or con, would be helpful right now!

Bernadette

When I worked in the cosmetics department at Nordstrom people were always trying to transfer to Bobbi Brown. I'm not sure why it was considered so great but that was the line that everyone wanted to be with. I knew girls from MAC, Smashbox and Lancome that all switched over to Bobbi. They must have something good going on
smiles.gif

MelodyKat

That was the first Counter I worked for. It was.....ok. My manager once toned down my eye makeup because she said it wasn't a "Bobbi" look. Not my thing. I need to be able to thin for myself and not what "Bobbi" thinks. Now this is my own opinion. However, i do like a lot of the products. They rock. I was there when the Shimmer Brick first came out. lol.

giz2000

I have a friend that's with BB and she loves it...she makes really good money with them.

It's funny but when I started with MAC, everyone said my style was "MAC by way of Bobbi Brown." I think it still is...I am always the most toned-down MA at the counter...even on theme days!!

MAC_Pixie04

The only thing about Bobbi Brown is that you need to be able to be comfortable wearing almost invisible makeup, because the philosophy behind the line is a very natural look. I personally can't stand the line because I went there once and the MA aksed me how old I was, when I said 19, she said "Oh I would have guessed younger with all those bright colors you have on..."

Bitch. lol haven't been back since. I don't think makeup should follow a philosophy or rules, and that line definitely has a ton.

sadieboo

I've been at the counter for about six weeks now, and so far I really like it. It's true that the overall Bobbi 'look' is minimal, but that suits me just fine. I love to see beautiful, innovative, colorful makeup on someone, but that is not my personal look. I have had customers 'pick' me as their artist because I have such a basic look, and Bobbi customers are usually not looking for much more than that. I've actually been told several times that I look like Bobbi Brown, which I don't see, but we both do have long brown hair. I'm taller than her, she's richer than me!
cutey.gif

Another thing I wanted to mention - I have lurked on this forum for almost two months and I have gotten so much info and help from the posts! There have been many times that things I have read about on this forum have come up at work. Thanks to you all!
thmbup.gif

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadieboo
I have had customers 'pick' me as their artist because I have such a basic look

Same here...like I said, I am usually the most toned down person at the counter. I can make Electric Eel look subtle!!!

amoona

If I get rejected from MAC (haha I know not a positive attitude) then I was really interested in working for Bobbi Brown or NARS ... they both seem like very classy glamouris companies.

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadieboo
I'm taller than her, she's richer than me!
cutey.gif

Hahah this cracked me up! Good one
lmao.gif

sadieboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
I personally can't stand the line because I went there once and the MA aksed me how old I was, when I said 19, she said "Oh I would have guessed younger with all those bright colors you have on

angry.gif
I can't believe someone said that to you at a BB counter! How rude! I hope you put her in her place - I bet she is one of those counter people that everyone hates.

MAC_Pixie04

whats funny is she didn't look like she'd be much older than me. it was like a 40 year old in a 21 year old's body.

pixichik77

I work at a Bobbi counter, and I enjoy it. Yes, the look is minimal, you could say "classic", and they like the artists' style to reflect that too. it's a uniform, it's not a cult. I use a lot of the products when I do theater and film stuff, too.

NikkiHorror

Bobbi Brown customers buy almost EVERYTHING that the MA's show them, and then they buy more for their daughters, neices, and long lost cousins. It's absolutely crazy. I don't know how they do it!!

MisStarrlight

Rumor has it that BB is the best paying line around. I don't know how true it is, but that may have something to do with all the transfers over there.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
Rumor has it that BB is the best paying line around. I don't know how true it is, but that may have something to do with all the transfers over there.

They pay really well....at least here in South Fla.

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight

I think it's true.

pixichik77

I guess we do get paid well. We don't make commision, it's another one of those, "Bobbi beleives..." kind of things.

martygreene

BB is owned by Estee Lauder, as is MAC. I'd be surprised if the pay scale were drastically different, since they are owned and managed by EL.

pixichik77

True, but since MAC and Bobbi still hold some creative control they differ a bit from the Lauder counters themselves. Does MAC pay commission? I think that would be the difference between the brands' payscales.

MisStarrlight

MAC doesn't get commission (Thank GOD!). The pay is really high (compared to other retail jobs), but compared to other lines, the pay is actually on the lower side (specifically I've heard BB, Nars, FACE, MUFE & a few other lines that are at Saks)

Latest posts