Best Hair Relaxer?

PMBG83

Well I believe my stylists uses something by the name of Illusions(Ill get back to ya on it) but yeah I usually just go get mine done b/c me and mom simply can not do it. Theres way too much of it. And no good place to all that needs to be dont to it. If you can go get it done that be best then if not just try not to go with the strongest one out there just b/c you may in fact have the coarsest of hair. B/c alot of stylist figured that since my hair was coarse and long that theyd hit it with a super relaxer! Bad idea since I have a SENSITIVE scalp. So if you can or havent yet just try to ask a professionl what level each of your hair sections are(Crown area nape of neck area and front and sides of the hairline)! good luck my darlin'

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith130
Besides that dr miracles is the best home perm....May I recommend if you do home perms go to sallys and buy the brush that ppl use in salons - the little one that u can part with and put product on with.

I tried Dr. Miracles a few days ago. I was really impressed. This is the straighest my hair has ever been. Usually when I do it I seem to miss a spot or something and it's wavy near the crown. Anyway, I really liked the relaxer. It was creamier and less offensive-smelling than other relaxers. I would try it again.

Oh....you are right about the brush. I discovered a few years ago that the best way to apply the relaxer is with a nylon brush. It also helps to get one of the rattail combs with the metal tail. It helps in parting the hair. I just discovered that when I used it a few days ago.

na_pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin
Lemme add my 2 cents. I absolutely swear by Organic Root Stimulator. I've been using it for the past two years. Everyone I've recommended it to, have become faithful users as well.

I use their:
relaxer
shampoo
oil sheen
Replenishing Pak conditioner
wrap lotion

You probrably won't be disappointed if you try.

very old post ... but I agree this relaxer is pretty good. I did my friend's hair the other day and it came out WOW. If i didnt have like 2 years supply of Silk Elements I would have bought ORS for my next relaxer

HeavenLeiBlu

Okay, let me say this first, before I go on.
I will take this chance to state how I really don't even like relaxers at all, but this isn't really the time or place to get too high up on a soapbox about it, but I just wanted to put that at there, LOL. I feel like, if you're gonna do it, handle your hair in the gentlest way possible. Having nappy or non- straght hair doesn't mean that its something to beat down and make it cry for help, LOL.
*steps gently down from the soapbox I didn't intend to get on*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
I have to say that I have fine hair and it's not really "coarse", I say nappy, but whatever.

Not picking on you Azia, but I wanted to point something out/piggyback on what Michie said down there, just for future reference for others or whomever missed/might miss it.

If your hair is fine, it's not coarse. This is a common mistake that people make, and one of many reasons why women who relax end up with damaged hair. Coarse is more of a description of hair condition, as opposed to a description of texture and curl pattern, which is what nappy is; and I see how it is easy to confuse the two. My hair is also very fine (very thin and soft strands, very porous) but very nappy ( extremely tight corkscrew girls, varying in diameter from pen springs to pencil size) and THICK ( dense and plentiful all over my head). When my mother relaxed my hair, she made the mistake of confusing the two, so you know she always ended up using SUPER strength as opposed to MILD. No matter what brand she used, went, I ALWAYS ended up with an unsatisfactory result ( over processed hair) because the relaxer was too strong. I was too young to satisfactorily protest and after I was out on my own, I stopped relaxing my hair not too long afterwards, but there was a distinct difference in the results I achieved with the correct relaxer formula and application processing time, and this was across several brands. Now, my daughter on the other hand, have VERY COARSE ( and not porous at all) hair ( like her dad, but his is loosely curled, and like her grandmother, whose hair was bone straight- see the distinction I'm making?) but it is nappy in the crown of her head,and thick like mine, all over. I refuse to put a relaxer in her hair, but her blowouts are dreamy, she should be in a Pantene commercial, LOL. It's beca
use of the coarseness in her hair that it is resistant to chemical alteration and hard to curl, once it's straight.

I say all that to say, just be GENTLE with your hair, ladies, regardless of the condition and texture, and careful even with the styles/styling methods before you mess around looking like a buttahead or forced to a hairline like Susan L. Taylor's( If you don't know her, Google her, baby!).
winkiss.gif

GLAMORandGORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEFASHIONISTA
Have you ever tried Phytospecific? I have heard nothing but wonderful things about it. All the women that I have seen use it have taked about how amazing their hair felt afterwards. Straight yet strong. Light yet volumous. I really enjoy their products on both lines of Phyto and Phytospecific.

Now I must prepare you for the price; $60! That immediately turns some people away but to me quality outweighs price anyday. But that is just me.

It is sold in some Sephora stores and online. They are also sold in professional beauty supply stores.

P H Y T O S P E C I F I C

Long Hair Care Forums

On the second website; you can do a search and view some of the ladies views and experiences with phyto.

HTH!

i work at a high end hair salon, and i have NOT ONCE heard anything bad about phyto.
ever.
hahaha
i've given several products to my boyfriend (no relaxers) and they ALWAYS make his hair WAY better. (he has curly thin hair, but a LOT of it)

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlane
where do you get dr. miracles? I've never heard of it and need a perm.

In almost any beauty suppy store. It's also in Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS.

M.A.C. head.

Thank the lawd for this thread.

My hair is breaking off something awful. I used to have really healthy, medium length hair, then I wanted to be bold, so I chopped it all off. That wasn't the problem. I couldn't deal with that "awkward stage" after I decided to grow it out. I was going natural and it just looked so weird on me. I started putting a texturizer in my hair. The first few times it was great. My hair was still relatively short, so it gave it this nice pretty curl. Now it's going through another stage, particularly because IT WON'T GROW! My hair is so brittle
ssad.gif

kimberlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenLeiBlu
In almost any beauty suppy store. It's also in Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS.

Thanks

l1onqueen

Mizani is awesome! You do have to really work it through though. If I can't get that, then I use the Phyto.

sillybilly993

I have been using Optimum relaxers for a while, but for the last two years I have gone natural because I wanted to give my hair a breather from all the chemicals in relaxers. Now I want to go back to relaxers but swore I would only use high end quality products, so thanks to you guys I think I'm going to try Phyto and hope for thr best. I wish you all success and beautiful hair.

askme

I don't recommend this type of straightening treatment, they use harmful chemicals that can severely damage the hair, that's why I prefer the flat iron which is safer and cause less damage, I use a good one, it's the Karmin G3 Salon Pro that has tourmaline ceramic plates which leaves the hair soft, shiny, healthy and very straight.
Hope this helps and good luck.

sillybilly993

I did try the Phyto but only left it on less time than recommended, and while it has made my hair silkier and straighter it wasn't as silky and straight as normal relaxers.However I was pleased with the structure of my hair as it was close to its natural self in that it was still curly when wet, but if I was to do it again I would leave it on maximum time allowed.

I will not be relaxing my hair in a hurry. What helped my hair retain strength is going to the hairdresser every week for a month for treatment, this reduced breakage and fall outs. I will probably wait a year to allow my hair to recover and then maybe try Phyto again or wait for the new Optimum Advanced Keratin Whipped Creme Relaxer System. Or I might try heat training my hair instead of relaxers all together. Whatever you guys do just make sure you are conditioning and going for treatments, relaxer or no relaxer as long as you guys are spending time and attention on it using the right natural products to suit your hair type you'll succeed. Good luck all and thank yo for this thread I learnt a lot.

askme

I don't recommend this type of straightening method, it uses harmful chemicals that can severely damage the hair, that's why I prefer the flat iron which is safer and cause less damage, I use a good one, it's the Karmin G3 Salon Pro that has tourmaline ceramic plates which leaves the hair soft, shiny, healthy and very straight.
Good luck.
type.gif
peace2.gif

ms2spectacular

i've used Organic Root Stimulator, Dr. Miracles, Cream of Nature Sunflower oil blend, and Phyto. Loved all of them, Phyto definitely left my hair soft and hydrated, but a tad curly. nothing a straightener couldnt fix. Cream of Nature left my hair OILY! at that time i was getting a weave so it didnt really matter, but definitely not what youre looking for if you hate oily feeling hair. ORS and Dr. Miracles are my favorites, i dunno if i can choose which one i like over the other. Both leave hair hydrated and straight. Phyto was given to me, and i think it was a curly perm, they have a straight one, so go for that if you've got $60. Good luck!

barbara12

My hair has been breaking off, since the first day i started using a relaxer. I first started with revlon, then soft and beutiful botanical, the t tree, all dont seem to work well, they live my hair dry and burnt scalp. Maybe its due to a bad hair regime i now wanna use ors i heard of it from a friend, i need help with an advice asap plz, my hair makes me cry just by looking at them dont know what to do

Latest posts